• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Mar

fireside said:
Apparently the new Wacom Bamboo features multi-touch gestures. Sounds like someone heard your wish, Mar_.

Am I seeing this right that it doesn't do more than 2 finger gestures? I'd really need something like that to be able to pick up four finger swipes for Expose.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Lord Error said:
Amiga OS had that kind of stuff (and full multitasking) in 1985. That OS, and hardware too, were so far ahead of their time, and of their price range, that it's practically unbelievable.

Amiga_Workbench_1_3_large.png
Blue and orange? It's like if the 1985 Bears came out with an operating system.

the-iek

Mar_ said:
Am I seeing this right that it doesn't do more than 2 finger gestures? I'd really need something like that to be able to pick up four finger swipes for Expose.
I got mine on monday and confirm that there aren't any finger gestures with more than two fingers.

the-iek

Yeah, if you already have this nice Mac trackpad, I don't see a reason for using the Bamboo finger gestures or as a touchpad replacement. Otherwise it's great.

VNZ

DefectiveReject said:
did someone confirm in here that Snow Leopard no longer overwrites folders of the same name, but merges them?
Cheers in advance guys
Nope, same old (risky) behaviour.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask this, but when I make a Gif in GIMP it always slows the speed it plays at down automatically with sometimes having a window pop up saying "Image slowed down to save CPU performance" anyone know how to make that stop?

Also why have this anyway? I mean I have no problem playing gifs on a Pentium 4.

Jal

Apple TV 3.0 and iTunes 9.0.2 are out, iTunes has the original dark grid view back.

Preferences>General>Grid View

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Mecha_Infantry said:
Got my Magic Mouse now..Feels greeeat. No touch buttons other than wo finger swipe, single and right clicks are done physically

13639_193112461286_707666286_4419320_5261592_n.jpg

That shit really is sexy as all hell. I might have to pick one up, even though I'm completely fine with my bluetooth Logitech mouse. The only thing I use it for is when I'm away from the house, as when I'm home my laptop is hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard, and corded mouse. But, God, Apple sure knows how to make me want something baaaaad.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How does Windows run on the new MBPs ( 15 inch to be specific)? I used to have a Macbook Air and whenever I ran Windows on it it would become hot to a point of discomfort. I'm considering purchasing a Pro and was wondering if they fare any better? I would be getting the 1699 version.

hirokazu

Tried the Magic Mouse at the store today. Didn't think it'd be very good for ergonomics, so I was surprised that it didn't seem to be a problem.

Scroll worked rather well, but it was disappointing that that was pretty much it's only use, so there was not much special apart from the scroll being 360 degrees. Sure there's forward and back, but that felt rather unnatural. Maybe it takes some gettng used to.

I'd buy it if they released an update that enables it to recognise much more gestures. At the moment, it's nothing terribly exciting.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
My Magic Mouse arrived yesterday, loving it so far - the scrolling is really good. Good slow movements, fast scrolling you name it.

hirokazu said:
Tried the Magic Mouse at the store today. Didn't think it'd be very good for ergonomics, so I was surprised that it didn't seem to be a problem.

Scroll worked rather well, but it was disappointing that that was pretty much it's only use, so there was not much special apart from the scroll being 360 degrees. Sure there's forward and back, but that felt rather unnatural. Maybe it takes some gettng used to.

I'd buy it if they released an update that enables it to recognise much more gestures. At the moment, it's nothing terribly exciting.

That's the thing. I didn't even end up trying it as our Apple shop is always too busy, so I just kopped it outright and was majorly suprised at how fine the mouse felt in my hand. People who were complaining that the mouse was too low, it's all just being picky. One person even said the edges of the mouse were SHARP :/

I find th. Magic mouse to be a little cramped. Maybe I need to shave some girth off of my hand.

Still. Impressed with the iMac so far. Loving iphoto and it's face and places recognition.

I think the idea of it, is that you're not meant to hold it like a regular mouse, but place your two fingers first, then the rest of your hand, you then find out your thumb and little finger will naturally fit into the best position on the side of the mouse..try it out

hEist

still thinking of buying and MacMini, but they are so expensive in moment for me. But i think i'm gonna jump on the apple train in 2 months.

Someone already tested the magic mouse under windows? i know that the touchscreen will not work until a drvier will be released for bootcamp..
but still want to know, if it is possible to get it working under windows. Anyone?

Nachkebia

Banned
I switched to mac osx for last couple of months, been using windows from 3.1, no regrets, well except I have to switch back to windows if I want to use 3ds max :D

hEist said:
still thinking of buying and MacMini, but they are so expensive in moment for me. But i think i'm gonna jump on the apple train in 2 months.

Someone already tested the magic mouse under windows? i know that the touchscreen will not work until a drvier will be released for bootcamp..
but still want to know, if it is possible to get it working under windows. Anyone?

Touchscreen?

VNZ

Nachkebia said:
I switched to mac osx for last couple of months, been using windows from 3.1, no regrets, well except I have to switch back to windows if I want to use 3ds max :D
Then you should move on to a better 3D package anyway. ;)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ermac said:
How does Windows run on the new MBPs ( 15 inch to be specific)? I used to have a Macbook Air and whenever I ran Windows on it it would become hot to a point of discomfort. I'm considering purchasing a Pro and was wondering if they fare any better? I would be getting the 1699 version.

Anyone?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Ermac said:

i have windows 7 on mine. it runs pretty good. only issues so far is that the sound from the speakers is a bit low.. but that should be fixed when the new drivers are released by years end.

i haven't noticed any heat issues, but i have only used windows on a desk, since i use it for games.

btkadams

thanks so much guys for the answers to all my questions. this thread is awesome. i just finished upgrading my macbook pro hdd to 500gb. stoked!

i noticed the memory slots while taking apart my mbp. i have 2gb of memory on my computer. would upgrading to 4gb really make a difference? i use it for music editing programs (very intensive). i have very limited knowledge on what specific things really do to make computers run faster. is that what upgrading memory does?

Has anyone bought a mini display port to dvi adpater from monoprice? I've gone through 3 now and it all does the same thing where the image keeps flashing. It's annoying as hell.

LCfiner

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone bought a mini display port to dvi adpater from monoprice? I've gone through 3 now and it all does the same thing where the image keeps flashing. It's annoying as hell.

from monoprice no. But I have a mini DP to DVI from apple that worked OK on a Samsung monitor that I had briefly.

monoprice stuff is quality so I’d be surprised if it was a physical defect in there. Perhaps the monitor?

LCfiner said:
from monoprice no. But I have a mini DP to DVI from apple that worked OK on a Samsung monitor that I had briefly.

monoprice stuff is quality so I’d be surprised if it was a physical defect in there. Perhaps the monitor?

I had it on my tv and I just tried it on my monitor and it's not doing it... It wasn't doing it the first two times I had it hooked up to my tv either... What does this mean? :( Is my tv fucked up?

Edit: Huh... Changed DVI cables again and now it looks fine... But the "messed up DVI cable" looks fine replacing the one I put on the tv on my monitor. I have no idea what's going on but it's ok for now I assume. :/

pj

Banned
What the eff

15 minutes ago I noticed my laptop was unusually warm, so I looked at activity monitor and SystemUIServer was using like 50% of my cpu. I rebooted and now launchd is using 100%. I've rebooted a couple times since then and it won't go away.

This is what keeps showing up in console:

"Nov 1 01:26:19: --- last message repeated 4403 times ---
Nov 1 01:26:19 pjm-mbp com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.newsyslog): Throttling respawn: Will start in 3 seconds"

it does that every second until it reaches 0, then it resets to 10.

What is going on here?

Edit: launchd finally shut the fuck up but now SystemUIServer is sitting at around 92%

pj

Banned
Apparently it's caused by the daylight savings time switch.. I removed the time from the menu bar and SystemUIServer stopped freaking out

fix this shit apple

White Man

Since Friday, my MBP has been randomly getting beach balls. They usually stick around for about 1-2 minutes, but several times, the machine stays frozen and I am forced to reboot. I didn't do anything on Thursday or Friday that was major. It just kinda started happening. Doing some googling, it looks like some other SL users have the same problem. This isn't just safari doing its usual beach ballin'. It happens with seemingly every app.

Activity Monitor shows nothing, and I've been over the machine repeatedly with tech tool and other diagnostic apps. Clearing caches didn't do anything. Reinstalling SL didn't fix it either.

Any ideas? I'm at wit's end. I don't think it's a hardware issue because Windows runs flawlessly on it.

White Man

pj325is said:
Have you checked out the console? See if any errors show up at the times when it beachballs

No, I'll do that tonight, in a bit. I intended to check last night but I think I kinda forgot to do it after I found nothing in activity monitor. Yay for late night troubleshooting.

White Man

Is there a way to force a clean SL install? When I reinstalled it last night, it was using its default upgrade installation, so for all I know, whatever is causing this may have not been overwritten in the reinstall.

hirokazu

White Man said:
Since Friday, my MBP has been randomly getting beach balls. They usually stick around for about 1-2 minutes, but several times, the machine stays frozen and I am forced to reboot. I didn't do anything on Thursday or Friday that was major. It just kinda started happening. Doing some googling, it looks like some other SL users have the same problem. This isn't just safari doing its usual beach ballin'. It happens with seemingly every app.

Activity Monitor shows nothing, and I've been over the machine repeatedly with tech tool and other diagnostic apps. Clearing caches didn't do anything. Reinstalling SL didn't fix it either.

Any ideas? I'm at wit's end. I don't think it's a hardware issue because Windows runs flawlessly on it.
I've had that happen. No idea what it was, but it seemed to have gone away for the most part.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
ITunes 9.0.2 no longer allows me to add songs to playlists. Good thing they added all those iPhones synching options or I wouldn't be listening to my music :lol

picked up a magic mouse at the store today. Unboxing pics in the new iMac thread :lol I like it so far, huge upgrade over the pos mighty, but still ultimately limited usability. Really fun for basic browsing etc. This + piclens extension makes google image search awesome. Momentum scrolling is a a nice feature, and I am glad it's on a non-Logitech mouse now.

Miau

Neo Member
White Man said:
Is there a way to force a clean SL install? When I reinstalled it last night, it was using its default upgrade installation, so for all I know, whatever is causing this may have not been overwritten in the reinstall.

Yes, just format the drive with Disk Utility before starting the setup. It will make a clean install.

And yeah, I had the same problems as you, SL was always beach balling on me even when I just had Itunes running. Had to downgrade to 10.5.8, but it seems Apple release some days ago a Performance Update that supposedly deals with some of the beach balls. Right now I'm doing backups, I want to make a clean install and see if the issues remain after the update.

White Man said:

Only way I know how to is to erase the hard drive and reinstall. I don't know if there's another way.

man i can't wait until people hack the magic mouse and do some crazy stuff with this thing

edit: okay, i just realized this, but it seems that the three finger swipe left and right in multiclutch ports over to the magic mouse two finger swipe left and right. I have it set to instead of going back and forward in one tab, it changes tabs left and right :D

White Man

Looks like I'm going back to Leopard on this MBP (at least on this machine). Oddly enough, my experience with Snow Leopard is reminiscent of my experience with Leopard in its first month.

Top Bottom