• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Garou

mrkgoo said:
So what's the deal with AppleCare?

I've been reading that they won't honour it outside of the country you purchased the care. Or something. Yes, it's international, but only if it matches your computer's origin or something.

I have a MacBook purchased in NZ, with a US applecare associated...will it be only under protection in US or NZ or both?

Applecare doesn't have a region, all registration numbers work anywhere.
And mobile computers are covered worldwide, the restriction applies only to desktop-models like the iMac, which are only covered in the country they are made for.

mrkgoo

Garou said:
And mobile computers are covered worldwide, the restriction applies only to desktop-models like the iMac, which are only covered in the country they are made for.

Yeah, I understood that, but a recent thread on MacRumors implied that applecare are honoured everywhere... but only if it matched the origin of the computer. It sounds stupid, but someone from UK was denied service on his UK Macbook with US applecare.

Apparently, Applecare from different regions have different part numbers. It sounds all wild, but just wondering what the experience was with anyone here.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Garou said:

i can attest to this. my fiance bought her macbook + applecare in Canada.. and was able to get it serviced in the U.S.

mrkgoo

quadriplegicjon said:
i can attest to this. my fiance bought her macbook + applecare in Canada.. and was able to get it serviced in the U.S.

Again, I understand this, the question that the thread was bringing up was whether you could buy Applecare from US on a non-US product (yes, it does register fine), but whether they would honour it - according the guy in the thread, they didn't, because the Applecare agreement was outside of the country the mac was. Yes, an odd situation, maybe a once off (the representative in London may have been wrong), but reading around it isn't exactly clear.

In your case the Macbook and Warranty are from Canada - Applecare states they will honour it internationally. But even then Canada and US are considered within the same international region in the Applecare agreement.

Jasoco

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Parallels and VMWare Fusion are virtual machines. They run in OS X just like Microsoft Virtual PC does XP Mode in Windows 7.

Boot Camp allows you to run native Windows. It is a boot loader. You start your computer, hold the Alt key, and decide if you want to start OS X or Windows.
Technically it's just a set of Windows drivers to help Windows recognize all the Apple technologies, as well as a utility to easily partition your drive properly. You don't NEED it, but it helps. Boot Camp has nothing with the ability to start up from different drives at boot. That's part of the computer and has always been pretty much. As long as the partition has a proper OS installed, be it Windows or OS X (Or Linux I guess), it will list the drive as bootable. Providing it's formatted properly and everything checks out.

Boot Camp is recommended if you want to play games and don't mind rebooting. VMWare/Parallels is fine if you want to do work and like having it all available to you at once. i.e. the ability to run Windows apps windowed with the OS X apps seamlessly is awesome.

btkadams

Jasoco said:
Technically it's just a set of Windows drivers to help Windows recognize all the Apple technologies, as well as a utility to easily partition your drive properly. You don't NEED it, but it helps. Boot Camp has nothing with the ability to start up from different drives at boot. That's part of the computer and has always been pretty much. As long as the partition has a proper OS installed, be it Windows or OS X (Or Linux I guess), it will list the drive as bootable. Providing it's formatted properly and everything checks out.

Boot Camp is recommended if you want to play games and don't mind rebooting. VMWare/Parallels is fine if you want to do work and like having it all available to you at once. i.e. the ability to run Windows apps windowed with the OS X apps seamlessly is awesome.
i didn't know this was possible? that's great! does that mean i can run pc only programs (like microsoft project or access) within the mac os?

LCfiner

btkadams said:
i didn't know this was possible? that's great! does that mean i can run pc only programs (like microsoft project or access) within the mac os?

yes. that’s the whole point of parallels and vmware.

Google “coherence” or “unity” as those are the names those programs use to mix windows and Mac windows side by side.

giga said:
Uh, are you really asking this?

edit: Hey, don't edit it out!

Stop fantasizing of what you think I do in my bedroom.

I originally wrote a problem about my Wacom tablet.

EDIT -
It's easy to see that what you said isn't true since my edit happened at 10:16 and your post happened 20 minutes later.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
c3b22

giga

Flying_Phoenix said:
Stop fantasizing of what you think I do in my bedroom.

I originally wrote a problem about my Wacom tablet.

EDIT -
It's easy to see that what you said isn't true since my edit happened at 10:16 and your post happened 20 minutes later.
You would have a point, if it wasn't for the fact that I clicked quote, but then went to pick up a pizza for dinner 20 minutes later.

giga said:
You would have a point, if it wasn't for the fact that I clicked quote, but then went to pick up a pizza for dinner 20 minutes later.

Fine, you got me. I was asking because I was about to "do my thang" while browsing Gaf and as I got the bottle of lotion and pushed the top of the case the lotion flew out at an angle and straight onto my Macbook's keyboard and slipped through the cracks. That's right the cracks to inside the case, the same part that Apple Store just fixed for me. Now my trackpad's acting funny again (but not as funny as before thankfully) and I want to get all of the lotion off of the bottom of the keyboard before it causes more damage or worse gets on the motherboard.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Fine, you got me. I was asking because I was about to "do my thang" while browsing Gaf and as I got the bottle of lotion and pushed the top of the case the lotion flew out at an angle and straight onto my Macbook's keyboard and slipped through the cracks. That's right the cracks to inside the case, the same part that Apple Store just fixed for me. Now my trackpad's acting funny again (but not as funny as before thankfully) and I want to get all of the lotion off of the bottom of the keyboard before it causes more damage or worse gets on the motherboard.
Jesus Christ.

ok i decided to go the route of a mini display to HDMI adapter and a wireless keyboard/mouse

I really like the look of the wireless apple keyboard and magic mouse, I hear the mouse is uncomfortable though. As far as the wireless keyboard, I have heard mixed things about it, mainly about it being too small

just curious if anyone had an opinion to share on these, or recommendations

giga

Flying_Phoenix said:
Put a stupid on that shit.

ok i decided to go the route of a mini display to HDMI adapter and a wireless keyboard/mouse

I really like the look of the wireless apple keyboard and magic mouse, I hear the mouse is uncomfortable though. As far as the wireless keyboard, I have heard mixed things about it, mainly about it being too small

just curious if anyone had an opinion to share on these, or recommendations
It's a full size keyboard--the same as it is on the notebooks. So if you like the notebook keyboards, get it.

LCfiner

Flying_Phoenix said:
Dude...

You were gonna do it while browsing gaf? What crazy thread did I miss?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Flying_Phoenix said:
how the hell did you not manage to lick a wall socket yet

Pctx

Banned
Hey gang,

So are there any good utilities for cleaning up spyware on Mac?

I've found MacScan which seems okay.

I'm coming at this from the when I have someone who I need to support (via consulting), what's the best product out there?

Thanks.

Pctx said:
Hey gang,

So are there any good utilities for cleaning up spyware on Mac?

I've found MacScan which seems okay.

I'm coming at this from the when I have someone who I need to support (via consulting), what's the best product out there?

Thanks.
There are no spyware or popups to worry about.

Even the anti-virus programs just search for Windows viruses that are hanging out on your Mac doing nothing, but can potentially fuck someone else up.

Pctx

Banned

Even the anti-virus programs just search for Windows viruses that are hanging out on your Mac doing nothing, but can potentially fuck someone else up.
So basically cleaning out temp files, deleting history etc. out of Firefox or Safari w/ GlimmerBlocker should do the trick?

teiresias

Spyware, maybe not, but I've had Firefox on the Mac throw up the occasional pop-up, but it usually gets caught in a tab rather than in an actual pop-up per say.

If you want something to look official in your "support" function, you may want to just get the Norton Antivirus for Mac. It basically just takes up space on the harddrive and only gets a virus definition update very two years, if that, but it at least lets you claim you're doing something. :lol

movie_club

i just installed windows 7 on my mac. I am a big time computer n00b, how do i get the key board and trackpad to work like it does in OSX with Windows?

also is there anything else i need to know about windows 7 on the mac

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
movie_club said:
i just installed windows 7 on my mac. I am a big time computer n00b, how do i get the key board and trackpad to work like it does in OSX with Windows?

also is there anything else i need to know about windows 7 on the mac

place your OS X disk in your drive and install the drivers from there. then run an MS update and an apple software update.

oh. official windows 7 drivers have not been released yet, so there are a few glitches.. like low speaker volume and some other stuff, but i have not encountered anything that i would consider a major issue.

Dartastic

A couple questions. Firstly, I just downloaded Quicksilver, so I want to somehow set it so I can run a google search in Firefox hella fast. How do I enable this? What plugins are really recommended for QS? Also, I have an installation of Microsoft Office that somehow got messed up. How do I do a complete delete of Office? I know with most programs you can just drag them to the recycling bin, but I'm not sure if this'll work for Office...

mrkgoo said:
Yeah, I understood that, but a recent thread on MacRumors implied that applecare are honoured everywhere... but only if it matched the origin of the computer. It sounds stupid, but someone from UK was denied service on his UK Macbook with US applecare.

Apparently, Applecare from different regions have different part numbers. It sounds all wild, but just wondering what the experience was with anyone here.

US MacBook Air here bought with the AppleCare plan in Chicago. I've already made it repaired in a little town in France and this week it's going back into the Apple Store in Paris.

Apple Care is international (and pretty awesome, but that why we pay high price for it)

entremet

I searched and could not find anything, but Google has released an official dev preview of Chrome for Mac. I'm using it right now and it's as fast as its Windows counterpart. Bye, bye Firefox.

entrement said:
I searched and could not find anything, but Google has released an official dev preview of Chrome for Mac. I'm using it right now and it's as fast as its Windows counterpart. Bye, bye Firefox.

Is it the same version that's been out for a few months?

thatbox

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
I've gotten a US Macbook Pro with US Applecare serviced in France as well.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Any word on if the new Bootcamp that will support Windows 7 will support the 64-bit OS version?

I just found out I can upgrade from XP to Ultimate 7 for 18 bucks and I'm looking to choose the 32bit or 64bit options.

Can't seem to find this info.

This is as official of something I can find from Apple so far:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920

Heresay on the internet seems to imply that Bootcamp supports 64bit 7 now...but it's not official yet. Just looking for an official yes/no.

mrkgoo

UnluckyKate said:
US MacBook Air here bought with the AppleCare plan in Chicago. I've already made it repaired in a little town in France and this week it's going back into the Apple Store in Paris.

Apple Care is international (and pretty awesome, but that why we pay high price for it)

Again, that wasn't what I was asking, but I guess the point may be moot. Very few people will be in the situation that I was describing.

btkadams

quadriplegicjon said:
Use CCC http://www.bombich.com/ to make an exact clone of your harddrive. Warning: external has to be empty, it will erase everything.

Does your external have firewire? you can then boot into the external, and clone the harddrive back.
ok so i have an external i found that i can write over everything. its usb though, will it not work as a bootable drive if its not firewire?

Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey guys before I do ask, read this article, it makes my heart warm <3 Apple. Like Bill Gates said, the first thing he will take from Apple, is their taste.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/26...way-station-adjacent-to-future-chicago-store/

Secondly, should we make a proper Mac-Age information thread? not only about OSC, but all things Mac, or does this thread suffice, as ther are so many Mac threads at the moment

That's what I was thinking. I mean the purpose of this thread is to help people who were new to OSX and those who had problems. I think that it would be nice to have a thread that was about pure Mac conversations.

Man, i'm trying to make a bootcamp partition so i can install windows 7, but it's giving me an error "Some files cannot be moved". I've looked and the only answer i can get is to delete free space, which im doing right now, or wipe the entire drive and reinstall from a backup. Fuck backing up, i dont have an external and im not in the mood to completely redo all of my OS customizations and icons.

Anyone ever have this problem and figure anything out?

noah111

Still Alive
scorcho said:
thank you internet marketer.
Just letting everyone know, I don't think it's worth it if you're buying it new ($99!?) but if you're already a user than it's worth the upgrade imho.

It's an awesome app though which just got an awesome upgrade, sorry if it came off as marketing or something. :p

DarkJC

Sentry said:
Just letting everyone know, I don't think it's worth it if you're buying it new ($99!?) but if you're already a user than it's worth the upgrade imho.

It's an awesome app though which just got an awesome upgrade, sorry if it came off as marketing or something. :p

Probably had something to do with the massive image after it

Top Bottom