• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Perhaps this has already been answered but I don't feel like wading through 50+ pages.

I like Safari, but why do I get the pinwheel of death every time there are animated gifs? I'm running a new MacBook Air so it's not like my computer is slow. For a modern browser, Safari should be able to handle animated gifs without making the whole browser unresponsive.

Pctx

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
That doesn't mean it wont work at all. Bootcamp as is works with Windows 7 right now.. though there are a few glitches here and there.
Not saying it won't work at all... but if you have issues Apple isn't going to help.

Apple is further segmenting their hardware market which is frustrating for some.

mrkgoo

The Chosen One said:
Perhaps this has already been answered but I don't feel like wading through 50+ pages.

I like Safari, but why do I get the pinwheel of death every time there are animated gifs? I'm running a new MacBook Air so it's not like my computer is slow. For a modern browser, Safari should be able to handle animated gifs without making the whole browser unresponsive.

Interesting. Are you running Snow Leopard and the latest safari?

Everyone had this issue a few versions back - something to do with webkit itself, not the computer. I've since upgraded to Snow Leopard and Safari 4.0.4, and no longer have the same issues. I'm not sure if it's still a problem for people on Leopard.

Koodo said:
You must be that 1 in 10,000,000,000,000 that got one that still functions properly after a bit of use.

I'm on the verge of starting a bonfire with this plastic rat.
My dad is one of those wackos who uses a trackball so this mighty mouse is basically brand new. So I guess it will stop being awesome later?

CTLance

Heh.
wg8

...that's a 100GB external drive I'm backing up to. The drive it's backing up from is 70GB. All drives run flawlessly, I have made sure of that after a recent itunes hiccup.

Anybody know what to do when it spazzes out like that? I doubt the backup that it's currently doing can be used later on in any meaningful manner.

mrkgoo said:
Interesting. Are you running Snow Leopard and the latest safari?

Everyone had this issue a few versions back - something to do with webkit itself, not the computer. I've since upgraded to Snow Leopard and Safari 4.0.4, and no longer have the same issues. I'm not sure if it's still a problem for people on Leopard.

I'm running 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.3.

Mar

giga said:
Firefox is slow, Opera is lol, Camino is barebones.

I've noticed Firefox getting slower lately. Like, in the last month or so. I don't know what they are doing with those updates but they are seemingly bogging down the browser more and more.

I've never found it to be unbearably slow though. In fact, I've found it to be faster than anything else I've used considering the potentially crippling way in which I use it. Never closed down, on 24/7, and with 30+ tabs open. I honestly don't know how they manage to keep it running under such a load. My old Windows and Ubuntu machines used to eventually die. Windows the system itself would collapse, Ubuntu the browser would just explode.

In MacOS, I can literally have 60+ tabs open with large images and threads of images and it just keeps on going wanting more. I've only ever had 2 crashes (one last night in fact) and it only starts to get a bit non responsive at the stupid end of the tab spectrum. Compared to any other browser I've used nothing even slightly compares.

btkadams

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's fixed in Snow Leopard. Everyone should have it, it's $30.
i cant say i recommend anyone getting snow leopard for laptops. its killed my macbook pros battery and ive read countless threads on the issue, replacement batteries also get fucked over.

if anyone's interested, google search the macbook service battery issue.

btkadams said:
i cant say i recommend anyone getting snow leopard for laptops. its killed my macbook pros battery and ive read countless threads on the issue, replacement batteries also get fucked over.

Whoa I wasn't aware of this. I just got the "replace soon" message for my battery this week. I calibrated it and it is gone for now but my battery has been super wonky since I installed SL. Sometimes I'll get the low battery battery popup when theres like 30 or 40 minutes left and just a lot of weird things overall.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
btkadams said:

yeah i've had the 'service battery' alert come up since installing SL and now it runs out of power in no time. it also says 'not charging' randomly and runs REALLY hot.

btkadams

criesofthepast said:
Whoa I wasn't aware of this. I just got the "replace soon" message for my battery this week. I calibrated it and it is gone for now but my battery has been super wonky since I installed SL. Sometimes I'll get the low battery battery popup when theres like 30 or 40 minutes left and just a lot of weird things overall.
yup theres been plenty of cases about the batteries acting strange. recently i read a post by someone who talked to apple personally about it. before, apple was just saying ITS YOUR SHITTAY BATTERAAAAYYY and not putting any blame on themselves. what was different this time though was the apple rep said it was snow leopard that caused the battery to malfunction. she said that snow leopard uses more power and can cause weak batteries to fail. the thing i dont get, is that people are buying new batteries after apple has told them to, and it has still happened again. new batteries. how can a new battery be one of these "weak batteries" that the apple rep talked about? maybe sony has fucked up the actual battery manufacturing (they make them i believe) and keeps putting out weak ones? or apple has to find out the real source of the issue.
julls said:
yeah i've had the 'service battery' alert come up since installing SL and now it runs out of power in no time. it also says 'not charging' randomly and runs REALLY hot.
yup. mines been really fucked up the past month and a half. it even complete turned off (not shutdown, like as if i pulled the battery) without warning once.

and mine has been running REALLY hot lately too. like too hot to have on my lap.

Mar

julls said:

Mine has been the same under both OS versions (mid 2009 MBA).

btkadams

Mar_ said:
Mine has been the same under both OS versions (mid 2009 MBA).
how could it have said service battery when thats a new feature in SL? or were you referring to the heat? cuz yeah macbooks have always been a little hot but since snow leopard mine has been noticably far hotter.

it seems like the os is demanding too much power (processing and actual power).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
btkadams said:
yup. mines been really fucked up the past month and a half. it even complete turned off (not shutdown, like as if i pulled the battery) without warning once.

and mine has been running REALLY hot lately too. like too hot to have on my lap.
yeah - after googling the battery issue it seems like a common problem with SL. mine used to last ages on battery, now i'm lucky to get more than about 45 minutes from it even with light use. it runs so hot that i'm scared it's gonna explode on me or something, haha. hopefully there'll be a fix for it soon. if not, i'm going back to leopard and staying there.

mrkgoo

My battery has been all messed up with short life since Snow Leopard, but it's about its due time. Something like 400 charge cycles. And can give me the warning or not at around 15%.

I don't blame SL, however. 400 charge cycles.

giga

Jal said:
Are these all old batteries that are having problems? Any issues with the new MBPs?
No issues here with a 2009 MBP. 3 months on this:

Charge remaining (mAh): 5389
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 5389
Health Information:
Cycle count: 31
Condition: Normal

Mar

btkadams said:
how could it have said service battery when thats a new feature in SL? or were you referring to the heat? cuz yeah macbooks have always been a little hot but since snow leopard mine has been noticably far hotter.

it seems like the os is demanding too much power (processing and actual power).

I was talking about battery life. It's been the same under both L and SL.

hirokazu

Sometime in the last 10 days, my OS X partition became labelled "EFI Boot" instead of "Macintosh HD" in the boot selection screen. Still boots up fine, but I heard this could be problematic.

Well I tried to update to 10.6.2 the other day and it failed midway and aborted. Booting into the OS, it reports itself as 10.6.2, but a ton of stuff hadn't been updated properly - Mail says it doesn't run on 10.6.2, Software Update crashes on load because one of the files it needs isn't there.

Halp!

mrmyth

go to apple's website and grab the ~400mb combo update. install it, yes even over your current 10.6.2 installation. It will completely update your system to 10.6.2 .

I had to do this to get to 10.5.8 and 10.6.1. Now I just use combo updates instead of what comes down from Software Update.

OK, I'm going to BestBuy to buy a 1TB WD Black HDD. What exactly do I need to install OSX on this HDD? Just the OS CD that came with my iMac? I have all of my necessary files on an external HDD, so I won't be doing any backup or anything like that.

btkadams

RJNavarrete said:
OK, I'm going to BestBuy to buy a 1TB WD Black HDD. What exactly do I need to install OSX on this HDD? Just the OS CD that came with my iMac? I have all of my necessary files on an external HDD, so I won't be doing any backup or anything like that.
yeah im fairly sure you just boot it up and the comp will ask you to put in the os disc.

giga

RJNavarrete said:
Don't you have an iMac? You're going tear it apart yourself?

You just need to boot from the disc and format the drive in Disk Utility and then reinstall.

xrich said:
bestbuy? i cant imagine their prices for that are good...
They actually have one of the lowest prices... $99 with in-store pick-up or free shipping, but I need this ASAP so I'm going to get it.

Yea, tearing my iMac apart myself... Downloaded a how-to video and put it on my phone so I can know more or less what to do if I get stuck... Just gonna look around for exactly what tools I'll be needing.

Dartastic

So, I'm running Windows 7 on my new MBP, and for some reason the speakers are hella, HELLA quiet even with the volume maxed. Is there anything I can do about this? I really can't stand it! Also, for some reason sometimes the headphone jack doesn't really work right; I was running Dragon Age and I couldn't hear sound, but I could hear the volume just fine from other Windows functions. WTF?

The Chosen One said:

It's due to it's rendering techniques. It's great with some things, horrible with others. The freezing issue is fixed with Snow Leopard. However the gifs will still play slower than usual especially if they aren't very small in size.

giga said:
Firefox is slow, Opera is lol, Camino is barebones.

I wouldn't completely count Camino out. The newest version is like the best of both worlds with Safari and Firefox. Trackpad features (Zoom In and Out), low CPU/Memory Usage, cool features such as in-browser Expose, plays Gifs at normal speed *without killing the CPU*, and is the fastest browser on Mac. I'm on Camino 2.0 beta 4 and it's great.

Really the only bad thing about Camino is the (practically complete) lack of add-ons. But really all other browsers have their "bad things" as well. As Firefox is slow, Opera is :lol, and Safari chokes on Gifs. And if add-ons were important to someone, than they most likely wouldn't be using Safari in the first place.

Pre-Camino 2.0 is a different story though. It was so buggy that it seemed like a joke at times.

Charred Greyface said:
:/ Won't the final release support Firefox extensions?

I'm not sure about Camino 2, but all the past Camino's didn't.

Dartastic said:
So, I'm running Windows 7 on my new MBP, and for some reason the speakers are hella, HELLA quiet even with the volume maxed. Is there anything I can do about this? I really can't stand it! Also, for some reason sometimes the headphone jack doesn't really work right; I was running Dragon Age and I couldn't hear sound, but I could hear the volume just fine from other Windows functions. WTF?
Install the Boot Camp drivers from the Snow Leopard disc.

Blackhead

Redarse
Flying_Phoenix said:
It's due to it's rendering techniques. It's great with some things, horrible with others. The freezing issue is fixed with Snow Leopard. However the gifs will still play slower than usual especially if they aren't very small in size.

I wouldn't completely count Camino out. The newest version is like the best of both worlds with Safari and Firefox. Trackpad features (Zoom In and Out), low CPU/Memory Usage, cool features such as in-browser Expose, plays Gifs at normal speed *without killing the CPU*, and is the fastest browser on Mac. I'm on Camino 2.0 beta 4 and it's great.

Really the only bad thing about Camino is the (practically complete) lack of add-ons. But really all other browsers have their "bad things" as well. As Firefox is slow, Opera is :lol, and Safari chokes on Gifs. And if add-ons were important to someone, than they most likely wouldn't be using Safari in the first place.

Pre-Camino 2.0 is a different story though. It was so buggy that it seemed like a joke at times.
:/ Won't the final release support Firefox extensions?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dartastic said:

That one of the glitches with the current drivers. We have to wait till the updated drivers come out in a month or so for full windows7 support

Yikes, I think I'll hold off on upgrading to Snow Leopard until the battery issues are sorted out with laptops.

Btw, how do you view the charge cycles? And...umm... what does it mean exactly? :lol

hirokazu

mrmyth said:
go to apple's website and grab the ~400mb combo update. install it, yes even over your current 10.6.2 installation. It will completely update your system to 10.6.2 .

I had to do this to get to 10.5.8 and 10.6.1. Now I just use combo updates instead of what comes down from Software Update.
Success! Thanks.

Even though that's the only time an update has failed on me, I don't think I'll ever use Software Update for point release updates again. At the very least I'll save 250-500MB having to redownload the package after it fails, and I was lucky because other people who've had the update fail were missing more critical files, so their OS couldn't even into GUI.

Koodo

Banned
What's this whole SL burning batteries thing about? I'm scared now, my late 2008 Macbook (now a Pro, I guess) is too precious. I was about to purchase SL today but decided that I was too lazy to install it this weekend.

Oh, and I got to try the Magic Mouse today, and... I didn't really like it. A bit shocking for me, I was totally expecting to love it. I found myself really missing those extra two buttons for Exposé and Dashboard, and it's really fucking short (although I could get used to this). The scrolling didn't work as well as I hoped, either. Definitely not as good as the Macbook's trackpad. Oh well. :(

Flying_Phoenix said:

I tried out the 2.1 alpha a few days ago and they even have an Awesomebar in the works.
http://www.latko.org/2009/08/09/intel-optimized-camino-2-1/

Also does anyone here have a Macbook Air?

I was wondering if anyone here was able to get the remote shared DVD/CD to work. I really would like to watch DVDs on my laptop. I hope I don't have to buy an external DVD drive instead.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Dartastic said:
Already done.

The Bootcamp audio drivers are really flaky under Windows 7. You may have to wait for Apple's Windows 7 Bootcamp update before your sound rectifies itself.

xrich

Banned
Yea, you definitely have to wait for their drivers. If you plug in headphones, do you find that the volume is too loud. I am going to guess you have a 13" MBP, is that right? You should also have a red light coming out of your headphone plug...they need to fix this.

panda21

i always thought firefox 3 was ok and couldnt understand why people said it sucked on OS X, until I changed to a different computer/OSX version and it started running like shit. I think theres something wrong with it on macs.

chromium is perfectly stable for me now:
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/

just get the latest one every now and then. themes, flash, crx plugins all work perfectly. only thing i cant get to work is inline pdf's with acrobat reader, and it has a nice equivalent of topsites (but the previews show the last page it rendered from that domain rather than the actual page which i assume is a bug).

hirokazu

panda21 said:
i always thought firefox 3 was ok and couldnt understand why people said it sucked on OS X, until I changed to a different computer/OSX version and it started running like shit. I think theres something wrong with it on macs.

chromium is perfectly stable for me now:
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/

just get the latest one every now and then. themes, flash, crx plugins all work perfectly. only thing i cant get to work is inline pdf's with acrobat reader, and it has a nice equivalent of topsites (but the previews show the last page it rendered from that domain rather than the actual page which i assume is a bug).
There's nothing wrong with the OS X version of FIrefox except that it's not as well integrates into the OS as other apps, for example it doesn't allow any services.

What is wrong with Firefox is that it eats up a shitton of memory and CPU time if you have a lot of extensions and it becomes unstable. But that's not a problem unique to the Mac version.

Jal

giga said:
No issues here with a 2009 MBP. 3 months on this:

Charge remaining (mAh): 5389
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 5389
Health Information:
Cycle count: 31
Condition: Normal

Same here,

4 month old 13" MBP
100% Health
26 cycles

I use Firefox solely for the neogaf stylish thing, i hate browsing Gaf on other browsers.:D The speed isnt an issue a second or two to load a page makes no difference for my needs, it does slowly eat away memory though which is a little annoying.

I think i already posted it here but Stainless is another one to look out for.

Here's my MBP (Late 2008) stats. It was a refurb and I still standby the fact that it was like no one had even used the machine! It even smelt new :)

yLS

Anyways, this is a question for those who know the iPhone/OS X iCal/Outlook Exchange really well.

Well basically I have synced my Outlook calender ar work with my iPhone calendar, but I then want to sync my iPhone (and Outlook) calendar with my MBP iCal. We unfortunately are running 2003 still at work, not 2007 so I can't automatically add it to Mail.app

mrkgoo

Mecha_Infantry said:
Here's my MBP (Late 2008) stats. It was a refurb and I still standby the fact that it was like no one had even used the machine! It even smelt new :)

yLS

Anyways, this is a question for those who know the iPhone/OS X iCal/Outlook Exchange really well.

Well basically I have synced my Outlook calender ar work with my iPhone calendar, but I then want to sync my iPhone (and Outlook) calendar with my MBP iCal. We unfortunately are running 2003 still at work, not 2007 so I can't automatically add it to Mail.app

There's no way your battery is at 97% health after 165 cycles. When was the last time you proper calibrated?

Top Bottom