• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

h_a_t

Absolute stupid question so forgive me.
I've just loaded Windows 7 Enterprise via Bootcamp on my new Mac OS X(version 10.6.2), and everything seems to be working fine so far, but I can't get Ctrl-Alt-Del to work within Windows.
I have to bring up the software keyboard, click on the physical "Control" and "Option/Alt" keys and then click on the virtual "Delete" key in order for it to function.
Is this a case of re-mapping the keys or should this work using Control/Option/Delete keys?

h_a_t said:
I've just loaded Windows 7 Enterprise via Bootcamp on my new Mac OS X(version 10.6.2), and everything seems to be working fine so far, but I can't get Ctrl-Alt-Del to work within Windows.
I have to bring up the software keyboard, click on the physical "Control" and "Option/Alt" keys and then click on the virtual "Delete" key in order for it to function.
Is this a case of re-mapping the keys or should this work using Control/Option/Delete keys?
"Delete" on a Mac keyboard is "Backspace." What you want to do is Function (the Fn key on the bottom left) + Delete to get the Windows Delete you're used to. So Fn + Ctrl + Option + Delete.

Do you even need Ctrl+Alt+Delete? You can use Ctrl + Shift + Esc to get to Task Manager, and Windows key + L to lock your screen.

h_a_t

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
"Delete" on a Mac keyboard is "Backspace." What you want to do is Function (the Fn key on the bottom left) + Delete to get the Windows Delete you're used to. So Fn + Ctrl + Option + Delete.

Do you even need Ctrl+Alt+Delete? You can use Ctrl + Shift + Esc to get to Task Manager, and Windows key + L to lock your screen.

I tried that "Fn" combination, as well as Ctrl-Alt-Fn-Delete, as I read in some other forums, but no success.
I don't really need it outside of logging onto the machine since it's now added to our domain.
It's not really a big deal, I just didn't want to bring up the software keyboard.
Thank you though.

Edit:
To clarify, it's not a desktop but a Mac Book Pro with no keyboard hooked up to it.

Garou

h_a_t said:

Did you install the Boot Camp-drivers in Windows?

h_a_t said:
I tried that "Fn" combination, as well as Ctrl-Alt-Fn-Delete, as I read in some other forums, but no success.
I don't really need it outside of logging onto the machine since it's now added to our domain.
It's not really a big deal, I just didn't want to bring up the software keyboard.
Thank you though.

Edit:
To clarify, it's not a desktop but a Mac Book Pro with no keyboard hooked up to it.

It should work like all the normal keystrokes if you installed the drivers. Did you install the bootcamp drivers?

h_a_t

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Do you have the Boot Camp software installed? It comes on the Snow Leopard disc. When you open it in Windows it installs a bunch of drivers for everything.

Garou said:
Did you install the Boot Camp-drivers in Windows?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It should work like all the normal keystrokes if you installed the drivers. Did you install the bootcamp drivers?

lol, that's exactly what it was.
Funny enough, I remember having to do this on a family member's Mac only a couple of months ago.
:D

Thanks all.

movie_club

hirokazu said:
Yes.

System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing > Share your connection from: "Ethernet" / To computers using: "AirPort"
Thanks! This worked for my touch but im trying to get it to work with my Internet Radio WiFi device and when i try to connect to my Macbook from the radio it says DHCP address could not be found. Any advice?

Hey guys,

Does anyone have Applecare for their Macbook Pro? I don't move mine around too much, it just sticks on my desk..But over here it's like £270 which is pricey!

I don't want to buy from eBay because so many reports of correct serial numbers, but after 4 months Apple re-check it and it's false they cancel it without you knowing.

So I'm basically going to get it, unless you guys SERIOUS don't recommend it; also, do you know if I can purchase it from U.S and register it in the UK?

One more Q,

In windows you can hit the Windows button + E button to open My Computer; is there an equivalent in OS X?

Edit*: One more :(..Is there a program to speed up the mouse? I'm using a 20" screen and the 15" MBP screen and it's a little slow

mrkgoo

Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey guys,

Does anyone have Applecare for their Macbook Pro? I don't move mine around too much, it just sticks on my desk..But over here it's like £270 which is pricey!

I don't want to buy from eBay because so many reports of correct serial numbers, but after 4 months Apple re-check it and it's false they cancel it without you knowing.

So I'm basically going to get it, unless you guys SERIOUS don't recommend it; also, do you know if I can purchase it from U.S and register it in the UK?

Applecare is often considered a must for laptops because hardware components are often so finicky in them. Also because Applecare essentially pays itself off after ONE use. Also because Applestores actually have SUPERB service - IN THE US. I'm not sure about UK, but in NZ, we don't have AppleStores, so all work is done by third parties. This can be good and bad. Bad because the service doesn't have to follow the standards of Apple as much, but good because sometimes they don't care, and just repair the thing (and charge Apple).

It's also not as expensive in US. Personally, I have avoided purchasing it. If you feel your computer is perhaps a bit flakey by the end of your first year, go ahead. I actually had my screen, trackpad (and topcase), and DVD drive all replaced under warranty in the first year, and was very happy with it so I didn't get Applecare, and it has been fine. That said, I kind of tend to want to upgrade as well, so I thought I could not get Applecare, and if something happens after 2 years, just get a new computer.

It really is a gamble. Just like any other extended warranty, you have to assess the risk.

One more Q,

In windows you can hit the Windows button + E button to open My Computer; is there an equivalent in OS X?

I don't know what you mean by shortcut. As there is no "My Computer" on a Mac. If you mean a keyboard combination that gets you to your home directory - possibly, but think about what you're bringing that up for. If you're going to be navigating in a Finder window, then just click the Finder icon in your dock (you're going to have to use your pointer anyway).

To be honest, if you want to navigate somewhere by keyboard, Spotlight is the easiest way. Cmd+space.

Edit*: One more :(..Is there a program to speed up the mouse? I'm using a 20" screen and the 15" MBP screen and it's a little slow

There are add-ins. Google Mac mouse acceleration. Personally, I suggest just getting used to it. The pointer ISN'T 'slow' - it just works with a different acceleration curve.

I tend to avoid third party software that modify core Mac operation, not because I'm against it, it's just that one of the main advantages of a Mac is that the OS and hardware are made by the same company, and this translates into (mostly) smooth operation. Third party applications for core functions are good and all, but if you come to rely on them, and they aren't inevitably supported in OS updates or new OS versions, then it can be awkward (or if they break upon updates and things).

Anyway, the acceleration curve for a mac isn't slow, just different. It's probably more suited to a trackpad than a mouse, but I (and all Windows switchers) hated it at first, but I picked it up fairly quickly.

hoverX

What's the best way to virtualize windows 7 on the mac? does vmware fusion allow you to run windows within a window on the mac? or does it only let you run windows apps alongside your mac apps within osX?

hoverX said:
What's the best way to virtualize windows 7 on the mac? does vmware fusion allow you to run windows within a window on the mac? or does it only let you run windows apps alongside your mac apps within osX?
There are options for all of that. Full screen Windows, windowed Windows, or Unity mode which is where it blends into OSX.

Fusion is considered the best by most. Parallels is faster, but it's much less reliable and crashy.

xrich

Banned
annoying problem here.

my macbook pro will NOT go to sleep when idle. its set to sleep at 3 minutes when off the charger, but it doesnt. it really pisses me off because i fall asleep using the computer and wake up to it dead.

the only thing i would think affecting it is insomniax, but i have it to turn off when not being charged, and my friend has it installed as well and his sleeps fine. tips please??

mrkgoo

xrich said:
annoying problem here.

my macbook pro will NOT go to sleep when idle. its set to sleep at 3 minutes when off the charger, but it doesnt. it really pisses me off because i fall asleep using the computer and wake up to it dead.

the only thing i would think affecting it is insomniax, but i have it to turn off when not being charged, and my friend has it installed as well and his sleeps fine. tips please??

Every now and again my computer fails to sleep when it's supposed to. A restart or repair permissions tends to fix it.

mrkgoo

xrich said:
restart does nothing, will try a repair fix or w/e once i find out how.

Repair permissions is a kind of catchall, but rarely fixes things on its own. Utilities- Disk Utility -> Repair permissions.

There is possible a rogue process preventing your computer from registering as being inactive. Sometimes you can find information on your console log.

thatbox

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
http://www.usboverdrive.com/

I've been using that to change the acceleration curve for over three years now. It's also great for mapping gamepads and mouse buttons in games. It's shareware, but if you don't pay all that happens is you have to click "OK" every time you reboot when the software loads and you have to wait fifteen seconds to enter the options screen.

Alternatively: http://www.knockknock.org.uk/mac/

xrich

Banned
mrkgoo said:
Repair permissions is a kind of catchall, but rarely fixes things on its own. Utilities- Disk Utility -> Repair permissions.

There is possible a rogue process preventing your computer from registering as being inactive. Sometimes you can find information on your console log.

repaired permissions and then did a restart. waited 3 minutes with it set to 1 minute and nothing. how do i try that second part?

Has anyone got bootcamp drivers to work in the XP virtualization of windows 7? I used snow leopard to install the drivers but they don't actually work or show up that they were installed.

I just need the microphone drivers to work bluetooth and neither seem to work. Mic drivers are part of realtek right?

mrkgoo

abq said:
Create a new account and see if it can go to sleep with that account.
Yup this is always a good idea for your problem solving roadmap to eliminate that the hardware itself is capaBle of sleeping.

open console by going to spotlight and typying console. Select all messages and scan to see if anything out of the normal may be interfering with sleep. Here may or may not be any clues. Also look in the activity monitor to look at running processes. Are you running apps like media players or anything? Close all your apps.

I don't actually have any answers for you since there are so many things that could be interfering, but these tools may give you some clues for you to help yourself.

hirokazu

xrich said:
it would not go to sleep....can certain programs i installed be interfering on that account as well?
Do you use Firefox? Firefox and/or certain extensions will prevent the Mac from idle sleep if it's running. At least it does for me.

VMware and Parallels probably do too, but at least they've got a reason to prevent sleep.

abq

xrich said:
it would not go to sleep....can certain programs i installed be interfering on that account as well?
I honestly don't know. Can you put the computer to sleep through the apple menu? Do you have any devices connected (usb hubs, external hdds)? I'd start activity monitor, kill a process, wait and see if the computer goes to sleep, kill another process etc.

xrich

Banned
abq said:
I honestly don't know. Can you put the computer to sleep through the apple menu? Do you have any devices connected (usb hubs, external hdds)? I'd start activity monitor, kill a process, wait and see if the computer goes to sleep, kill another process etc.

it goes to sleep just fine if i do it manually. i opened up console and nothing new was reported in it for 5 minutes yet no sleep. ill try killing processes.

xrich

Banned
ughhh i spent the past few hours quitting one process at a time. i turned off everything, except "loginwindow" because it wouldnt go away from Activity Monitor and it still wouldnt go to sleep. wat the fuck. there must be like..a problem in the actual system file no?

edit: doesnt even work in safe mode.

Jasoco

Banned
What apps do you have set to startup on login? (Under System Preferences>Users>Startup)

Also, what launchd processes? (Use an app called Lingon to see what daemons apps have installed.)

LCfiner

For a while, my mac would not go to sleep when I had a USB audio interface thing plugged in. Once i removed that and plugged in speakers from the headphone port, everything worked well.

could it be a piece of hardware you have plugged in?

Hey I've been trying to look for a (preferably) widget or regular application (if it's that much better) that will manage all my day to day plans and activities. Think of something like "Things" but only for OS X and not the iPhone OS. Does anyone have any recommendations? And something that would alert me when the day is reached for a certain appointment/commitment would be good.

Alucrid

Banned
So my roommate spilled something he was drinking onto his macbook pro (it was open), is it basically fucked? He let it dry for a few hours but tried turning it on later and nada. If I were there I would've told him to wait longer but didn't know what happened till now.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Hey I've been trying to look for a (preferably) widget or regular application (if it's that much better) that will manage all my day to day plans and activities. Think of something like "Things" but only for OS X and not the iPhone OS. Does anyone have any recommendations? And something that would alert me when the day is reached for a certain appointment/commitment would be good.

What about iCal?

mrkgoo

Alucrid said:
So my roommate spilled something he was drinking onto his macbook pro (it was open), is it basically fucked? He let it dry for a few hours but tried turning it on later and nada. If I were there I would've told him to wait longer but didn't know what happened till now.

Liquids and electronics really don't mix. And if that liquid wasn't just water....man, too bad.

Do try and let it try, but if it were something salty, or sugary, there's even more mess to deal with.

Alucrid

Banned
mrkgoo said:
Liquids and electronics really don't mix. And if that liquid wasn't just water....man, too bad.

Do try and let it try, but if it were something salty, or sugary, there's even more mess to deal with.

Yeah, it was some sort of juice, so it looks even worse. I figure let it dry, if not take it to the school repair shop, and then the mac store as a last result. Of course his warranty isn't going to do anything because it was him spilling something on it and you can clearly see/smell the juice. :lol

mrkgoo

Alucrid said:
Yeah, it was some sort of juice, so it looks even worse. I figure let it dry, if not take it to the school repair shop, and then the mac store as a last result. Of course his warranty isn't going to do anything because it was him spilling something on it and you can clearly see/smell the juice. :lol

Yea,h going to be tough to blame that on a manufacturing defect...:p

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
My Macbook Pro's Touch Pad has stopped clicking, it's a mid 2009 one. Any DIY fixes? I've got no Apple store here so I'm not going two weeks without it >_>

mrkgoo

VOOK said:
My Macbook Pro's Touch Pad has stopped clicking, it's a mid 2009 one. Any DIY fixes? I've got no Apple store here so I'm not going two weeks without it >_>

You could convert to tap to click.

I know sometimes gunk got under the pre unibody trackpad buttons, and one fix was to slide a bit of paper under to clean it. Not sure if that works for the unibody trackpad.

hiro4

VOOK said:

Maybe not the solution to your problem, but I had to same problem with my End 2006 MBP.

Turned out my Battery was swollen and pushed the hardware inside the MBP upwards so that I couldn't click anymore.

So check if your battery is still normal.

mrkgoo

hiro4 said:
Maybe not the solution to your problem, but I had to same problem with my End 2006 MBP.

Turned out my Battery was swollen and pushed the hardware inside the MBP upwards so that I couldn't click anymore.

So check if your battery is still normal.

New MacBook Pros have non removable batteries.

Blackhead

Redarse
mrkgoo said:
You could convert to tap to click.

I know sometimes gunk got under the pre unibody trackpad buttons, and one fix was to slide a bit of paper under to clean it. Not sure if that works for the unibody trackpad.
After haggling with my local Apple Store to no avail, I ended you switching to 'Tap to Click'. After a week or so I got used to it.

ClivePwned said:
cheap usb mouse
:( This is so wrong. Apple should release a stand alone trackpad or a bluetooth keyboard with trackpad integrated. I was checking out the stuff that Fingerworks was putting out 5 years ago, before Apple bought them, and I can believe how awesome those products looked. Instead all we've got for years of R&D is... multitouch iWork. meh.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Things.

Kryten

I have a 15" MBP and at work I connect it to a 24" LCD for dual screening - is there any way / application I can use to have applications remember what monitor there were on when a second monitor is present or not? I run a terminal session for IRC that I'd like to pop into the corner of the big screen, for example. TIA.

mrkgoo

Kryten said:
I have a 15" MBP and at work I connect it to a 24" LCD for dual screening - is there any way / application I can use to have applications remember what monitor there were on when a second monitor is present or not? I run a terminal session for IRC that I'd like to pop into the corner of the big screen, for example. TIA.

I'm not sure, but I thought applications tended to remember their desktop positions, be it on another screen or not. That is, I thought it was application dependent.

REgarding this, is there a way to view multiple Spaces, as in assign a space to another monitor and view them simultaneously?

Top Bottom