• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

pj

Banned
VOOK said:
My Macbook Pro's Touch Pad has stopped clicking, it's a mid 2009 one. Any DIY fixes? I've got no Apple store here so I'm not going two weeks without it >_>

it doesn't take two weeks for them to get it back to you

Gav

Just picked up a Dell Mini 10v with Windows 7.
Ive got quite a few files on my Macbook that i want to have on the netbook to have with me when im out and about.

Whats the best way to transfer files from OSX to Win7 over my network (and back again)?

anx10us

Banned
Gav said:
Ive got quite a few files on my Macbook that i want to have on the netbook to have with me when im out and about.

Whats the best way to transfer files from OSX to Win7 over my network (and back again)?

Setup a share on Windows7, set appropriate permissions for an account to write to the share, open finder on Mac, choose Go, Connect to Server and type smb://{Windows7name}/{sharename}.

If you need offline access as well try Dropbox, it lets you store upto 2GB in online storage that is then synchronized between multiple devices. Basically set a folder on Mac, drop your files in it, install drop box on both Mac and Win7, then you Mac files will be sync'd to your Windows 7. It means you would always have access to your files from both machines and when offline...

Gav said:

You went from OSX > Windows?

I don't think we shall be helping you :mad:

Gav

Haha, ill be keeping my Macbook for everyday use. Got the Dell for chucking in my bag to take to uni once a week and for travelling.
Ill no doubt be Hackintoshing it in the future anyway...

xrich

Banned
Jasoco said:
What apps do you have set to startup on login? (Under System Preferences>Users>Startup)

Also, what launchd processes? (Use an app called Lingon to see what daemons apps have installed.)

Login Items
Insomniax
iTunesHelper
iChat
Caffeine
Mail
EvernoteHelper
LogmeinLaunchAgentFixer
iStat menus Helper
SteerMouse Manager
AppCleaner Helper
GrowlHelper App

I tried closing both Insomniax and Caffeine because I thought those might be the issue, but no go. Maybe Insomniax messed up a system file or something. I dont think its a program causing it, since when i open the system.log theres no messages while I wait for it to sleep.

Anyway, I installed Lingon, do you want the system daemons? theres lke 160 of them and Lingon freezes everytime i click to see them...

xrich

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You had Caffeine running and you're wondering why your computer won't sleep.

Reinstall it and turn it off.

Caffeine only prevents the display from turning off, and i actually deactivated it and also tried uninstalling it. I also made a new user and it still didnt sleep.

edit: watching the console i just saw this message for the first time
1/13/10 11:43:57 AM SyncServer[8536] [6a209e0] |SyncServer|Warning| Refreshing watchdog because of a calendar time change alert.

Gav said:

you can install osx on that netbook, http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/ it's very easy if you got a mac already

xrich

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/

"Caffeine is a tiny program that puts an icon in the right side of your menu bar. Click it to prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers."

Anyway, I'm sure a few days from now we'll find out you installed something else wacky.

You can read the site but you cant read what I put in my post? Specifically how I already tried disabling and uninstalling it? God youre useless. I'm sure you will find another way to post something in your condescending holier than thou attitude in a few hours.

Anyway, progress! I reset the SMC (something I knew to do but kept forgetting) and it went into sleep mode. Only problem is that it took like 5 minutes when my setting is 1 minute. I checked the console log and nothing is going on during that time. Anybody have my next step?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm gonna read through this topic starting in a bit, but until I begin making my way through, I have a question maybe someone can answer in the meantime:

Are there any printers that you recommend? Perhaps one that doesn't use extremely expensive ink.

My old printer isn't Mac compatible. :\

hEist

so, i'm think of upgrading the hdd of my mac mini from 160' to 320'.
any good recommendations for a full back-up software of the hdd, where i can boot up from?
without needing to reinstall/lose stuff?

thx!

abq

hEist said:
any good recommendations for a full back-up software of the hdd, where i can boot up from?

thx!
Check out SuperDuper.

hirokazu

xrich said:
You can read the site but you cant read what I put in my post? Specifically how I already tried disabling and uninstalling it? God youre useless. I'm sure you will find another way to post something in your condescending holier than thou attitude in a few hours.

Anyway, progress! I reset the SMC (something I knew to do but kept forgetting) and it went into sleep mode. Only problem is that it took like 5 minutes when my setting is 1 minute. I checked the console log and nothing is going on during that time. Anybody have my next step?
Well now you gotta check whether it takes longer than it should in a new acct as opposed to your regular acct.

Jasoco

Banned
hEist said:

thx!
Check out Carbon Copy Cloner. It is my preference over SuperDuper.

Both apps are just frontends to a free built-in Terminal application called Ditto or Rsync.
http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html

I use CCC every day to refresh my clone by copying only changed files. If I ever lose my internal HD I can rest assured that I'll be able to boot from the clone until my new HD comes. I feel sorry for all the computer people who are always complaining "Yeah, I would check it out but my computer is down because the HD died."

Tf53

Hey guys, is there a native Intel build of Firefox? My FF keeps hogging memory even after shutting down, and Task Manager has it marked as a PPC process. I'm running Snow Leopard on an early 2009 Macbook.

hirokazu

Tf53 said:
Hey guys, is there a native Intel build of Firefox? My FF keeps hogging memory even after shutting down, and Task Manager has it marked as a PPC process. I'm running Snow Leopard on an early 2009 Macbook.
Firefox has been Universal Binary for ages. Unless you're running an ancient version, it'll be Intel code. Or maybe for some silly reason you made it open with Rosetta.

Right click the app > Get Info > Make sure "Open using Rosetta" is unticked.

Not guaranteed to help free up RAM after shutting down. If it is doing that and you've got a bunch of extensions and/or a huge places.sqlite (Bookmarks & History database), it usually takes some time for it to try clean things a little after the window has closed, but before the app itself has quit.

Sometimes it'll hang or at least appear to during this process, so you'll see it stick around in Activity Monitor. Check how big your places.sqlite file is, if it's several hundred MB, there may be some corruption, so I'd recommend you try compact it first, or backup your bookmarks and history, delete the file, and let Firefox create a new one, then restore your backup into the new file.

Taking up heaps of RAM while running - well, that's Firefox for you.

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
I'm curious; why?

It's my preference, but if you want specifics:

CCC is much more attractive. Looks nicer. Simpler UI IMHO.

CCC can be used free but can also be paid for if you want to donate whatever you want.

SuperDuper costs $28 to buy. Even CCC's suggested donation is cheaper. And you can donate less if you want to. Or more!

Both use FREE included with the OS Unix app to perform their backups. Rsync and/or Ditto. So they're not even required to backup. But if you want to, go with the cheaper powerful app because it does the same exact thing in a much nicer way.

http://www.bombich.com/

All the way.

Tf53 said:
Switch to Chrome.

ciD_Vain

I've got a problem with my disc drive with my macbook. Seems the CD doesn't want to eject. When i press the eject button (or click eject on-screen), the drive makes a noise that sounds like it's struggling to eject the CD. The CD is no longer on the screen, meaning it's been ejected, but the CD is still inside my macbook. If i put it to sleep mode and open up the macbook again, the CD is read again and shows up on my computer. Is there anyway to force-eject, or am i fucked and have to bring it in for repair?

dangrib

ciD_Vain said:
I've got a problem with my disc drive with my macbook. Seems the CD doesn't want to eject. When i press the eject button (or click eject on-screen), the drive makes a noise that sounds like it's struggling to eject the CD. The CD is no longer on the screen, meaning it's been ejected, but the CD is still inside my macbook. If i put it to sleep mode and open up the macbook again, the CD is read again and shows up on my computer. Is there anyway to force-eject, or am i fucked and have to bring it in for repair?

is it a white macbook (non unibody)?? if it is then it is possibly a bent bracket that lies between the bottom case housing and the optical drive. when people put pressure on that side it can bend the bracket which stops the disc from ejecting properly. its also unfortunately part of the bottom case which isnt covered under warranty for those machines. im a certified tech so i see this issue a whole lot :lol

ciD_Vain said:

Does it more even a little when spitting it out so you can try to grab it or you don't see it more at all?

ciD_Vain

dangrib said:
is it a white macbook (non unibody)?? if it is then it is possibly a bent bracket that lies between the bottom case housing and the optical drive. when people put pressure on that side it can bend the bracket which stops the disc from ejecting properly. its also unfortunately part of the bottom case which isnt covered under warranty for those machines. im a certified tech so i see this issue a whole lot :lol
Ahh, that was my concern... :/ So what's the dent to my wallet if i get it repaired? Thanks for the help

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does it more even a little when spitting it out so you can try to grab it or you don't see it more at all?
There's no way for me to grab it at all, it doesn't even come out even a little.

dangrib

ciD_Vain said:
Ahh, that was my concern... :/ So what's the dent to my wallet if i get it repaired? Thanks for the help

No problem. Well I'm in Australia and the cost here to do the repair would be around $400-600. To be honest its mostly labour as you have to take everything apart to replace the bottom case. You have to transfer the logic board, optical drive, hard drive, fans, heatsink etc etc across which makes it a hassle.
What can be done instead of purchasing a new bottom case would be to see if you can get someone to bend the bracket back for you. I usually do that if I know the customer doesnt have the cash.
For the record if anyone else has any queries (particularly hardware based) i'd be more than happy to help. I see these things open every day...

ciD_Vain

dangrib said:
No problem. Well I'm in Australia and the cost here to do the repair would be around $400-600. To be honest its mostly labour as you have to take everything apart to replace the bottom case. You have to transfer the logic board, optical drive, hard drive, fans, heatsink etc etc across which makes it a hassle.
What can be done instead of purchasing a new bottom case would be to see if you can get someone to bend the bracket back for you. I usually do that if I know the customer doesnt have the cash.
For the record if anyone else has any queries (particularly hardware based) i'd be more than happy to help. I see these things open every day...
Hmm...would it be something an expert would have to do? Or could someone like me be able to do that?

dangrib

ciD_Vain said:
Hmm...would it be something an expert would have to do? Or could someone like me be able to do that?

i'd probably leave it for an expert. you have to remove the top case then know which screws to take out to remove the optical drive THEN remove the bracket (without ruining the bottom case) and bend it back :lol

if you can wedge something from the exterior and leave it there for a while it might help but i probably dont recommend that if you're still under warranty

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
pj said:
it doesn't take two weeks for them to get it back to you

In Australia it does, I'm on the other side of the country, our postage is shit.

Xater

Ok the last few days y iMac started acting up. Sometimes it doesn't boot immediately up. It gets stuck at the grey screen where the Apple logo is. Today instead of the Apple I even got this sign (of course in grey):

2vum0is.png

Any tips on what I should do?

Saya

Xater said:
Ok the last few days y iMac started acting up. Sometimes it doesn't boot immediately up. It gets stuck at the grey screen where the Apple logo is. Today instead of the Apple I even got this sign (of course in grey):

2vum0is.png

Any tips on what I should do?

I had that a couple years ago on my Mac Mini. In my case it meant the hard disk was dying. So, if you still can boot up one day, make sure to make a backup of all your important files.

Xater

Fuck...

I still boots up, it just happens sometimes. Thank god I have bootcamp running. So if really dies I am safe.

giga

Xater said:
Fuck...

I still boots up, it just happens sometimes. Thank god I have bootcamp running. So if really dies I am safe.
Uhm, if your boot camp/windows partition is on the same hard drive, you're not really safe..

Xater

giga said:
Uhm, if your boot camp/windows partition is on the same hard drive, you're not really safe..

Why did I write Bootcamp? I meant Time Machine. :lol

I have my whole hard drive backed up.

Billias

ciD_Vain said:

There's no way for me to grab it at all, it doesn't even come out even a little.

I had the same problem with my macbook, I couldn't insert a disc in the drive because this.
I noticed this issue a week after I had the m/b replaced, so it was obviously the technician's fault but the importing company refused to acknowledge it and they wanted to charge me nevertheless. I was pissed with their behavior (not just with this issue) so I took apart the notebook myself. You can find instructions easily with a search.I didn't have to remove the motherboard, just the optical drive and all the parts before that (HD, RAM etc). Then I forced a disc through the slot and pressed it so that it would bent the bracket back in place.I was successful after all and it took me 45 minutes to do it.
(Yes it really sucks if Apple has no official presence in your country...)

Jasoco

Banned
Xater said:
I have my whole hard drive backed up.
Thank God. Usually the answer to "do you have a backup?" is "No, I meant to, but never got around to it. Help me!"

Thankfully HD's are cheap as dirt.

I never use TM as a backup though, I keep a second clone as a real backup and TM as version control. The clone is bootable and allows me to keep working even while my dead HD is waiting for its replacement. Then I install the new replacement, and clone from the clone back to the new HD, all while still using my computer and working as nothing ever happened. I <3 CCC

Xater

Jasoco said:
Thank God. Usually the answer to "do you have a backup?" is "No, I meant to, but never got around to it. Help me!"

Thankfully HD's are cheap as dirt.

I never use TM as a backup though, I keep a second clone as a real backup and TM as version control. The clone is bootable and allows me to keep working even while my dead HD is waiting for its replacement. Then I install the new replacement, and clone from the clone back to the new HD, all while still using my computer and working as nothing ever happened. I <3 CCC

What do you use to make the backcup?

Jasoco

Banned
CCC couldn't be simpler. Bootable clones are amazing. OS X has no qualms about what HD it is installed on, so you can use any HD you want and if cloned exactly it's like you never left or switched.

I just wish Rsync didn't take forever to count the 500,000 files on my HD. Even if it's just doing a daily refresh during which time it could copy between 50-200MB on a light day. 10 minutes to copy. 6 to count, 4 to run through the list. Not CCC's fault as it uses Rsync and I have used Rsync in the Terminal to do the same thing, it does indeed take that long to count all the files even in the Terminal.

mrkgoo

What the hell is this?

v5lssz.png

Do I have spyware or some other malware? This popped up while browsing. As far as I know, all I was doing was searching GAF. (I was using google).

Obviously, I've gone to some rogue site, but how did I go there? I didn't click anything (I don't think).

rezuth

mrkgoo said:
What the hell is this?

v5lssz.png

Do I have spyware or some other malware? This popped up while browsing. As far as I know, all I was doing was searching GAF. (I was using google).

Obviously, I've gone to some rogue site, but how did I go there? I didn't click anything (I don't think).
I know some people got infected from downloading pirated software.

So how common is hard drive failure with macs? My mac mini was running a bit slow, when I rebooted it got stuck at the grey screen and then went on to boot from my bootcamp partition. When I ran disk utility from the snow leopard dvd it turned out there was something wrong with my mac osx partition. Disk utility wasn't able to repair most of the errors (B-tree node errors at first, later index key violations). I installed mac osx on my external HD (which runs suprisingly well :D ) from which I was able to back up some of the stuff I needed. Since all of this happened at the worst possible time (I'm in the middle of an exam period) I haven't tried to reinstall mac osx on the hard drive yet but I'm really curious If I have to get a new hard drive for my mac mini. On the one hand I hope not because it's going to cost me money on the other hand if it was a software error of some kind it could happen again at any given time which would really bother me. I used diskwarrior to try to fix some of the problems and even though diskwarrior and disk utility both claim the partition is working properly I can't boot from it.
I've had a sort of similar experience once with my parent's iMac G5. After my brother did a software update the partition got corrupted and I was able to fix it with disk utility on the tiger install dvd. It has worked fine ever since.

So what if it turns out to be 'just' a software problem, wouldn't this imply that there is something inherently wrong with mac osx or its file system?

mrkgoo said:
What the hell is this?

v5lssz.png

I've seen that before. Might've been a small pop-up that went unnoticed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Top Bottom