• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
thewesker said:
So no one else has had this issue before? Weird.

I only had it once when I installed Windows 7 through Boot Camp. Switched the setting back and it's been no problem since.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it happens again. ^_^

JambiBum

So some how I missed this thread but I'll just ask this here since you guys can probably help me out. I have an iBook G4 and whenever I watch a video (doesn't matter what site but lets say youtube) the picture will lag behind the sound pretty badly. Don't really know what to do to fix it seeing how I'm more of a mac noob.

mrkgoo

JambiBum said:
So some how I missed this thread but I'll just ask this here since you guys can probably help me out. I have an iBook G4 and whenever I watch a video (doesn't matter what site but lets say youtube) the picture will lag behind the sound pretty badly. Don't really know what to do to fix it seeing how I'm more of a mac noob.

What size video? Maybe your computer just can't keep up, or your connection can't.

JambiBum

mrkgoo said:
What size video? Maybe your computer just can't keep up, or your connection can't.

My connection is fine because they run perfectly on my windows laptop. And it's just your normal video size. Anytime I'm on gametrailers or youtube. Any video really. Take the Dead Rising 2 videos on game trailers for example.

marvelharvey said:
Is it possible to downgrade from Snow Leopard back to Leopard or would I have to wipe the HDD and start afresh?
Only if you have a Time Machine backup of your original Leopard install. Can I ask why though? I thought they patched all the initial speedbumps in Snow Leopard.

lexi

Banned
I'm having a puzzling problem with my 2009 Macbook, whenever I wake it up from sleep, or even from a cold boot, it won't join my wireless network properly. It claims it's connected to the network, but you can't connect to any other local devices or the internet.

The way to resolve is to use the Network Diagnosis utility, before the utility actually does anything, it will connect properly to the network and does so until you wake it up from sleep once more.

Any ideas? : /

thewesker said:
Only if you have a Time Machine backup of your original Leopard install. Can I ask why though? I thought they patched all the initial speedbumps in Snow Leopard.
Yeah, I've got everything backed up thankfully and have already found instructions on how to downgrade.

Oh and it's nothing speed related, it's all about stability (and cost). Connecting to Time Machine crashes my Finder. This seems to be a common problem, which can be overcome by purchasing Path Finder for $40. On top of which a couple of programmes I use regularly have become highly unstable. The developers have a Snow Leopard upgrades available but are charging $25 and $40 for their latest versions, not offering patches for their current ones. So in total I need to pay $105 to simply return to the previous level of stability.

Ashhong

GodfatherX said:
if i have a entry level MBP (2gb ram) should I bother running 64 bit windows 7 or should i just go 32 bit?

dont listen to wesker, just go for 64bit. i assume the unibody MBP? they are DDR3 and fast. theres no reason to not get 64bit. who knows, maybe ull upgrade later, do you want to install later on? no

Ashhong said:
dont listen to wesker, just go for 64bit. i assume the unibody MBP? they are DDR3 and fast. theres no reason to not get 64bit. who knows, maybe ull upgrade later, do you want to install later on? no
The speed of the Ram matters not. You will not notice a difference between the two unless you are running more than 4GB of Ram. Sure, 64-bit Windows is in better shape these days but I would still recommend 32-bit unless you have 4GB of Ram or more, it just makes sense because of the small compatibility issues that can pop up now and then. Yeah, they are few and far between but they still happen.

Ashhong

thewesker said:
The speed of the Ram matters not. You will not notice a difference between the two unless you are running more than 4GB of Ram. Sure, 64-bit Windows is in better shape these days but I would still recommend 32-bit unless you have 4GB of Ram or more, it just makes sense because of the small compatibility issues that can pop up now and then. Yeah, they are few and far between but they still happen.

what is he wants to use photoshop cs4? isnt 64bit better to use if he can? sure 64bit is most useful in utilizing more ram, but it can still help depending on the program. i just see no reason not to get it, especially after apple updated their bootcamp drivers (havent tested them myself yet though)

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Ashhong said:
what is he wants to use photoshop cs4? isnt 64bit better to use if he can? sure 64bit is most useful in utilizing more ram, but it can still help depending on the program. i just see no reason not to get it, especially after apple updated their bootcamp drivers (havent tested them myself yet though)

Depends if he wants to use Photoshop in OSX (Yay!) or Windows (Boo..).

Ashhong

OneEightZero said:
Depends if he wants to use Photoshop in OSX (Yay!) or Windows (Boo..).

oh, well yea of course. i meant W7. hypothetical, just pointing out that programs can benefit from 64bit os without the ram.

nightez

Banned
I've owned two Macs. In all the documentation it says to delete files in Finder, you must hold "cmd + delete". But that short-cut has never worked for me ever. I actually discovered you have to hold "cmd + backspace". Which is not documented. Why is that?

nightez

Banned
Here's a few very important short-cuts that aren't listed in any of the menus. But that every noob should know.

To switch off the computer "ctrl + eject"

To shutdown immediately "Cmd+Opt+Ctrl+Eject"

To switch off just the screen/monitor "ctrl + shift + eject"

In Finder to open a side bar item in a new window, Cmd-Click it

In finder to switch between views, Cmd-1, Cmd-2, Cmd-3, Cmd-4

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Is there a way to make the "Albums" column in iTunes (in the Browser, when you're in List view) order albums by date? You can do it in the song list itself, but that's not how I roll.

btkadams

nightez said:
I've owned two Macs. In all the documentation it says to delete files in Finder, you must hold "cmd + delete". But that short-cut has never worked for me ever. I actually discovered you have to hold "cmd + backspace". Which is not documented. Why is that?
are you using a mac keyboard? my typical "backspace" key says delete and it does the delete function you speak of.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
nightez said:

You're reading documentation for the laptops. They only have a delete key and no backspace.

Massa

SnakeXs said:
Is there a way to make the "Albums" column in iTunes (in the Browser, when you're in List view) order albums by date? You can do it in the song list itself, but that's not how I roll.

Try "View -> Sort Albums" on the menu bar. (text may be slightly different, iTunes is not in English here).

Ashhong

SnakeXs, is there a way to make AppZapper automatically search for all files when you delete a program? What i mean is I want to just drag the app into the trash and have appzapper activate and find associated files. appcleaner does this..

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ashhong said:
SnakeXs, is there a way to make AppZapper automatically search for all files when you delete a program? What i mean is I want to just drag the app into the trash and have appzapper activate and find associated files. appcleaner does this..

Pretty sure that's a negative. You have to launch AppZapper and drag the to-be-deleted App into the bucket, and it'll show you all the files it's gonna zap.

Ashhong said:
yeah its a unibody, just bought it back in september..i plan to expand to 4gb ram eventually (probably in the next 6 months) so I think I'm going with 64bit version, Steam is the main reason for even doing this

Ashhong

SnakeXs said:
Pretty sure that's a negative. You have to launch AppZapper and drag the to-be-deleted App into the bucket, and it'll show you all the files it's gonna zap.

damn, i love that feature of AppCleaner. we'll see if i keep Zapper...

GodfatherX said:
yeah its a unibody, just bought it back in september..i plan to expand to 4gb ram eventually (probably in the next 6 months) so I think I'm going with 64bit version, Steam is the main reason for even doing this

I would upgrade too but it costs so damn much. If you have the 9400m, dont expect to get any good graphics...L4D is pretty ugly on it

Jasoco

Banned
JambiBum said:
A lot of YouTube videos (And internet video in general) is H.264 now. iBook's run PowerPC processors, which are really really slow in comparison to even the oldest Intel processor which can decode H.264 a lot faster than a PPC. You will have to upgrade to a MacBook. You can probably find a first or second gen Intel MacBook cheap somewhere.

The iBook should have no problem with any lower quality YouTube video though as they use an older less compressed codec. You just can't expect to run any high- or mid-quality videos. And don't even think about anything HD. :lol

You could use a program to download the source of the Flash video and watch it in Movist or VLC or MPlayer instead because Flash is horrible at playing videos on slow systems, but dedicated video players will have no problems. If the file extension is .FLV then you are fine and dandy. If it is .MP4 then you will have hit or miss.

Bottom line PowerPC cannot play H.264 without choking since it is a high compression codec that requires a lot of processing power to decompress. (Audio is fast decompression which is why the audio will play first while the video gets stuck behind.)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i just noticed that :( hopefully it won't be that much considering how limited the functionality is currently.

Ashhong

scorcho said:
i just noticed that :( hopefully it won't be that much considering how limited the functionality is currently.

it even says "pay for beta release" =/ pretty nice tabs though. i would love it if i didnt just start using pathfinder

nightez

Banned
OneEightZero said:
You're reading documentation for the laptops. They only have a delete key and no backspace.
Oh I see. But it says so even on the finder menu. I'm using the longer keyboard with a numeric keypad. Ideally they'd change the labels on the keys.

nightez

Banned
btkadams said:
are you using a mac keyboard? my typical "backspace" key says delete and it does the delete function you speak of.
It seems like the keys are labelled differently for laptops. Apple is mainly a laptop company nowadays. I'm using a desktop.

somnific

nightez said:
It seems like the keys are labelled differently for laptops. Apple is mainly a laptop company nowadays. I'm using a desktop.

as far as i can remember all apple keyboards, even desktops, have said "delete" (of had an arrow pointing left, ←)instead of "backspace". are you sure you're using an apple keyboard?

DeathbyVolcano said:
Got any bowlet recommendations? All the vinyl ones I want seem to be buggy.
I use one called "Wet Floor" made by Laurent Baumann. Works fine for me.

I customized it to remove the ugly reflection under the CD cover and I think it looks pretty good.

It's the only bowlet I've really used so I don't have any other recommendations.

NJ Shlice

Haven't had a desktop in a while...

Should I "Shut Down" every night or "sleep" is fine?

I just bought the wireless keyboard. Should I hit the power button when i'm away from my computer or will it go off automatically?

Magic Mouse: Should I switch it off when I go away from the computer?

Jasoco

Banned
GodfatherX said:
anybody tried bumptop yet? looks pretty interesting but not sure how practical it would be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcbymyM3dWo&feature=player_embedded
I did, and while it has come a long way, I don't see using it all the time if at all for any practical use. It's just something that looks pretty. But doesn't really do much that can't be done already better. 3D desktops were a fad years ago and don't have any use in the real world. Just like that stupid 3D TV fad we're in now.

ok i'm trying to run bootcamp but when partitioning it gets a "cannot move file" error, did some research and so fr I have ran the disk utility and onyx...still getting the same error, any suggestions that don't involve reinstalling mac os?

GodfatherX said:
ok i'm trying to run bootcamp but when partitioning it gets a "cannot move file" error, did some research and so fr I have ran the disk utility and onyx...still getting the same error, any suggestions that don't involve reinstalling mac os?
iDefrag. It takes hours, you'll probably have to do it overnight.

Boot Camp wants continuous defragmented space on your hard drive. OSX defragments on its own, but files over a certain size (I think it's 2 GB) can't be automatically fixed, so they hang around and can get in the way of a Boot Camp install.

nightez

Banned
somnific said:
as far as i can remember all apple keyboards, even desktops, have said "delete" (of had an arrow pointing left, ←)instead of "backspace". are you sure you're using an apple keyboard?
This is what my keyboard looks like.

uk.jpg

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
iDefrag. It takes hours, you'll probably have to do it overnight.

Boot Camp wants continuous defragmented space on your hard drive. OSX defragments on its own, but files over a certain size (I think it's 2 GB) can't be automatically fixed, so they hang around and can get in the way of a Boot Camp install.
just bought idefrag, trying this now

btkadams

nightez said:
This is what my keyboard looks like.

uk.jpg
odd, cuz yeah my backspace key (the one that yours is the arrow) just says delete. but im on a macbookpro so my keyboard obviously doesn't have the number pad half of the kb where the other delete key would be.

Top Bottom