• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

MarkMclovin said:
So I'm thinking of selling my Mac laptop, Powerbook G4. 1gig ram, 15" screen, aluminium (or is it titanium?). What would be a reasonable price? UK btw.

Mate I'm in the UK looking for an older machine. I got offered a Macbook Alumin for £400, what's your price mate?

Ashhong

The_Inquisitor said:
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/pacman326/4373017689_11a4c3a688_b.png[IMG]

It's much more obvious when I am posting on GAF on this white screen.[/QUOTE]

Just took it to my Apple store and they are replacing the screen. Is yours under warranty? I don't know about yours, because it looks even less noticable than mine, but they will probably replace it as well. The guy was trying to say it may be "within spec" of the machine. My ass it is.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
What are some of the best/most recommended widgets for the Dashboard? I feel like I'm not using it enough, but there's nothing there that screams out to me that I need to use it. :lol

Salazar

Buying the 15" 2.66 GhZ 320 GB HD with the 9400M and 9600M GT with 256 MB. Can't wait.

Anybody run games on a machine like this ? Recommendations for something interesting that runs well on it ?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Salazar said:
I'd be waiting quite a while, in Australia, no ?

In any case, I'm just not patient enough.

Na man we usually get it a week or so later too if not a little more. I'd wait too. I know 4 people who are :lol

Salazar

VOOK said:
Na man we usually get it a week or so later too if not a little more. I'd wait too. I know 4 people who are :lol

Motherfucker. It would have to be a mindmeltingly awesome update.

Probably not going to be able to wait.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Prine said:
Guys, what about Subversion control, which one should i download for my MacBook Pro?
What, you mean svn? I'd recommend switching to git or hg myself, but if you absolutely have to use svn, the command line client is good enough for anything, really. You can get it via MacPorts, for example.

Prine

Banned
wmat said:
What, you mean svn? I'd recommend switching to git or hg myself, but if you absolutely have to use svn, the command line client is good enough for anything, really. You can get it via MacPorts, for example.

Cheers, i mean SVN. I always mix CVS and SVN together. Im looking up git.

Ashhong

Salazar said:
Motherfucker. It would have to be a mindmeltingly awesome update.

Probably not going to be able to wait.

Core i3/i5 processor and some kind of upgraded video card, it will be amazing.

Ashhong

H_Prestige said:
The 13" pro won't get discrete graphics, right? From what I hear, the new model will be core i3 and intel graphics.

like they said, noone really knows. all i read was that at this point, only intel has the rights for a graphics chip. however i think the new nvidia tech is a way they can get around it, forgot the name of it. i would expect that Apple hopefully uses that, since the intel graphics is said to be a step down from the 9400m.

or i could be talking out of my ass

GodfatherX said:
no, other then iwork, office, chrome and hulu I have very few other things installed

The only thing that worked for me was using discwarrior 4. something, booting from the disc, then defragging offline. After that I was able to choose any size partition I wanted.

I'm having a problem getting my USB drive to play nice on both MAC and PC. It is formatted to MS-DOS(FAT) using disc utility but vista still won't read it. When I try to format it in Vista it only creates a 200mb partition that can be read by windows.

I found someone who has the same problem and he fixed it but I don't understand the solution that he wrote. Can someone help? What does he mean when he says:

"I tried formatting it to FAT file system with a Master Boot Record partition table. It appears to work now."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100212054545AASvIK0

criesofthepast said:
I'm having a problem getting my USB drive to play nice on both MAC and PC. It is formatted to MS-DOS(FAT) using disc utility but vista still won't read it. When I try to format it in Vista it only creates a 200mb partition that can be read by windows.

I found someone who has the same problem and he fixed it but I don't understand the solution that he wrote. Can someone help? What does he mean when he says:

"I tried formatting it to FAT file system with a Master Boot Record partition table. It appears to work now."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100212054545AASvIK0
I just had this exact same thing happen to me with the 200 MB format. This HP USB drive program formatted the drive correctly: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64963-page,1/description.html

Apple Disk Utility formatting and Windows drive formatting are not playing nice with each other.

Garou

If you get the 200MB thing you chose the wrong partition scheme. If you choose FAT this will only determine your filesystem. You should have additionally clicked on the Options-button and choose "Master Boot Record".
0092_disk-utility-420-90.jpg

Been using Snow Leopard as my primary OS for a few months after years of Windows use. Overall I prefer the Mac OS experience at this point, but there are a few differences that are still bugging me:

1. Any way to "cut" and then "paste" a file in the Finder if I want to move (not copy) it?

2. I still try and hit the Home and End keys to move the input cursor in text fields, a habit from Windows. What's the key command I should be hitting on Mac?

3. A major UI difference between Windows and Mac is that Mac presents applications as top-level objects, and application windows as something you can task-switch between within the application. On Windows, the individual application windows are treated more like top-level objects. In Win XP and Vista, I always turn off the "group similar Taskbar items" option so I can always see every open window in the Taskbar, and have one-click access to each individual window when task switching. On Mac, I often have to go through the 2-step process of first clicking an application's icon in the Dock, then use the Window menu to pick which window I want to bring to the front. The Windows approach has always felt more natural to me. Anyone have advice on a better method for task-switching I should use on Mac?

4. I guess this is nitpicking, but it always seemed weird that in the Finder, the Return key does a file rename instead of opening the file. Any way I can change that, or should I just live with it?

Garou said:
If you get the 200MB thing you chose the wrong partition scheme. If you choose FAT this will only determine your filesystem. You should have additionally clicked on the Options-button and choose "Master Boot Record".
0092_disk-utility-420-90.jpg
Thank you, too. I tried this first and it worked. Thanks everyone!

somnific

Parallax Scroll said:
Been using Snow Leopard as my primary OS for a few months after years of Windows use. Overall I prefer the Mac OS experience at this point, but there are a few differences that are still bugging me:

1. Any way to "cut" and then "paste" a file in the Finder if I want to move (not copy) it?

2. I still try and hit the Home and End keys to move the input cursor in text fields, a habit from Windows. What's the key command I should be hitting on Mac?

3. A major UI difference between Windows and Mac is that Mac presents applications as top-level objects, and application windows as something you can task-switch between within the application. On Windows, the individual application windows are treated more like top-level objects. In Win XP and Vista, I always turn off the "group similar Taskbar items" option so I can always see every open window in the Taskbar, and have one-click access to each individual window when task switching. On Mac, I often have to go through the 2-step process of first clicking an application's icon in the Dock, then use the Window menu to pick which window I want to bring to the front. The Windows approach has always felt more natural to me. Anyone have advice on a better method for task-switching I should use on Mac?

4. I guess this is nitpicking, but it always seemed weird that in the Finder, the Return key does a file rename instead of opening the file. Any way I can change that, or should I just live with it?

these may not be ideal, but here's what you can do off the top of my head:

1) drag and drop holding the command (⌘) button.

2) command (⌘) + left (←) or right (→) arrow.

3) unfortunately, i have not found a non-app assisted one-click solution. however, you can right-click an icon in the dock and select an window through the options window. also, you could try witch.

4) as far as i know, live with it. if you were not aware, you can open files in finder with command + ↓, or command + o(pen).

luoapp

Parallax Scroll said:

Try to use "expose", it's better.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Parallax Scroll said:

No. Either Drag&Drop stuff or us mv on the command line.
CMD-LEFTARROW / CMD-RIGHTARROW
CMD-TAB for switching between apps, CMD-< to switch between subwindows.

More: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343
Live with it, I think.

Jasoco

Banned
Garou said:
Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at www.mac2sell.net contains elements from the site asspuc.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for asspuc.com.

After clicking through three of those warnings I determined my MacBook is worth $600. Too bad mine is falling apart and would never bring in that much.

Thanks for the responses. I really miss the taskbar. ;_;

On WinXP at work I actually have my taskbar enlarged to 3 rows, so when I have 30+ windows open I still have 1-click access to EVERYTHING, and I can easily remember which item to click based on its location in the taskbar. (e.g. the text editor window on the far left is python code, the one near the middle of the taskbar is perl code)

No one's made a Mac app that emulates that functionality?

btkadams

Parallax Scroll said:

On WinXP at work I actually have my taskbar enlarged to 3 rows, so when I have 30+ windows open I still have 1-click access to EVERYTHING, and I can easily remember which item to click based on its location in the taskbar. (e.g. the text editor window on the far left is python code, the one near the middle of the taskbar is perl code)

CMD + O will open a program that is highlighted int he finder. and press spacebar to do a preview. works great for docs! the preview function in mac is amazing because it supports so many formats.

if you're using snow leopard then hold the icon on the bottom dock (of a program thats open) and itll show all the windows of that program. thats about as close to a taskbar you can get i guess.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Parallax Scroll said:

I don't know, some guy probably has.

If you press CMD-TAB and don't let go of CMD, you can click icons with your mouse; maybe that does it for you already.

mehdi_san

Is there anyone who tried this app on their Mac? It is called Squeeze, and the developer claims it uses the HFS compression system (native on Snow Leopard) to compress files on your hard drive disk and gain you some space. Once the files are compressed, Snow Leopard is supposed to be able to read them (decompress them) on the fly without delay. They also claim that the native apps on SL are already compressed with HFS (safari, finder,...). You can get free licenses for it now at macheist.com. I grabbed mine but am too scared to try it out ^^ So anyone would to try it and tell us if it works maybe? :lol

Just finishing my first Time Machine backup since I got my iMac last year. (Naughty, I know).
Just got my AppleCare plan. Just picked up Snow Leopard.

Any advice about Time Machine I should know? Or any other advice before I put in the Snow Leopard disc?

btkadams

mehdi_san said:
Is there anyone who tried this app on their Mac? It is called Squeeze, and the developer claims it uses the HFS compression system (native on Snow Leopard) to compress files on your hard drive disk and gain you some space. Once the files are compressed, Snow Leopard is supposed to be able to read them (decompress them) on the fly without delay. They also claim that the native apps on SL are already compressed with HFS (safari, finder,...). You can get free licenses for it now at macheist.com. I grabbed mine but am too scared to try it out ^^ So anyone would to try it and tell us if it works maybe? :lol
i grabbed it jsut now. thanks for posting it!

i love that macheist site. i never check it though. anyone who ever sees a free offer on it should post in this thread so we can all know.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
PhoncipleBone said:
I can install SL without doing a clean wipe of the HD though right? Are there disadvantages to doing that?

Upgrade is the default and only basic user level option. You'll be fine.

SnakeXs said:
Upgrade is the default and only basic user level option. You'll be fine.

Took about an hour to install. Then just updated to 10.6.2. All is A-OK.

So far all I have noticed is the faster start up and shut down. Any other main or neat advantages I will see the more I play?

PhoncipleBone said:
Took about an hour to install. Then just updated to 10.6.2. All is A-OK.

So far all I have noticed is the faster start up and shut down. Any other main or neat advantages I will see the more I play?

You probably gained a bit more hd space also after upgrading. Think it was like 7gb for me.

Top Bottom