• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

cabottemp

Banned
hey how do i uninstall a program?

I downloaded dreamweaver trial and i want to uninstall that and the adobe extension manager.

EDIT: i suppose what i'm asking is if there's a mac os x equivalent to "add/remove programs"

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
cabot said:

I downloaded dreamweaver trial and i want to uninstall that and the adobe extension manager.

EDIT: i suppose what i'm asking is if there's a mac os x equivalent to "add/remove programs"

There isn't. You delete the app. That said, a very select few apps have uninstall scripts, Adobe sometimes doing it themselves. I can't say for certain, but just deleting the app should get the job done.

mrkgoo

cabot said:

There is no registry. For the most part, apps are self contained.

Just delete the app from the apps folder.

The most apps leav behind are perhaps uppity files such a an insignificant preference file in your preferences folder. Maybe some stuff in Application Support.

More complicated apps like Photoshop and microsoft office are more involved however.

I'd worried you can use apps such as appzapper that look for support files when you remove an app.

SnakeXs

cabot said:
wait so you guys are saying i just just drag and drop the app into the trashcan and be done with it?

craziness.

That's exactly what we're saying.

If you're super crazy neurotic about hidden 4kb files that merely retain the app's options and preferences so if you reinstall it it's back to where it was, you can use an app like AppZapper to find and nuke those files, too, but that's not at all necessary.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
There's apps that do startup stuff and other magic like installing a preferences thing, but I think they don't belong into Applications or the stuff in Applications isn't crucial to auxiliary tools' operations, so that's really all you do.

Actually, out of the big 3, only Windows keeps a registry, really. Well, there's package management that tracks installed packages on all 3 plats, but that introduces such an onslaught of benefits (something that isn't the case with the registry on Windows) that it's more than justified.

Edit: And there's task-oriented registries, obviously (GNOME shit and similar). But only Windows has a centralized registry.

Got my 21.5 inch iMac refurb today in the mail.

Install discs scratched to hell with greasy finger prints all over. Keyboard and Mouse were dirty as well. About 12 dead pixels(I'm serious. Never seen anything this bad) and the yellow tinge on the bottom right half of the screen.

Getting a replacement sent to me. Only took 2 hours on the phone with the tech support noobs to get everything worked out.

They're sending me new discs as well which is nice. You think they could have at least made the accessories decent looking? I know it's a refurb but still.

cabottemp

Banned
thanks for the help.

i have another question.

so i open up adress book, and i want to sync my google contacts to address book. i click help and type in "syncing google contacts" and i find a nice little entry and it helps me do that, until i get to the point where it says "Click the Sync menu in the menu bar and choose Sync Now."

I have no sync menu on my menu bar....assuming that at the tope where it has the apple logo, address book, file, etc... is called the menu bar.

edit: n/m found it, the little sync icon is on the right hand side next to the bluetooth and wifi signal and all that good stuff.

SnakeXs

cabot said:
thanks for the help.

i have another question.

so i open up adress book, and i want to sync my google contacts to address book. i click help and type in "syncing google contacts" and i find a nice little entry and it helps me do that, until i get to the point where it says "Click the Sync menu in the menu bar and choose Sync Now."

I have no sync menu on my menu bar....assuming that at the tope where it has the apple logo, address book, file, etc... is called the menu bar.

edit: n/m found it, the little sync icon is on the right hand side next to the bluetooth and wifi signal and all that good stuff.

No idea what you're seeing but I'm pretty sure there's an "Accounts" pane in the prefs, and an option to sync with Google in there.

criesofthepast said:
Got my 21.5 inch iMac refurb today in the mail.

Install discs scratched to hell with greasy finger prints all over. Keyboard and Mouse were dirty as well. About 12 dead pixels(I'm serious. Never seen anything this bad) and the yellow tinge on the bottom right half of the screen.

Getting a replacement sent to me. Only took 2 hours on the phone with the tech support noobs to get everything worked out.

They're sending me new discs as well which is nice. You think they could have at least made the accessories decent looking? I know it's a refurb but still.
Wow. I had some problems with a refurb 21.5 last month but everything looked brand new when I got it. I went through 3 replacements though until I gave up, asked for my money back and bought a new one from Best Buy though. I can not recommend refurb AT ALL.

My Powerbook G4 has started to eject CD/DVD's without any error. It goes in, doesn't sound like it's struggling to read it, then spits it back out.

Someone told me to check the error console, but I can't seem to find anything there.

Any ideas?

edit : nvm. Took it apart, put it back together and it works like a charm.

*Touch wood*

Spriig

Banned
Hey guys. Just been offered a 2007 Black Macbook (Most probably with no optional upgrades) for £200/$450. Should I buy? Or is it going to be way to out of date.

mrkgoo

Mecha_Infantry said:
ok that's not too bad since last sept has just past! Will buy one end of the month. But why do people hate the shuffle so much?!

Because its apple's ultimate case of of form over function. Its function is actually hampered due to having no buttons. Personally, I like it. It has a place. I do understand it is somewhat less functional. I love the stainless steel one and want to buy one, because I think Apple will get rid of this design.

I think my March 09 24" iMac is starting to crap up.. I'm just working in Photoshop, designing some 'basic stuff'. Just 5-10 layers of stuff so far and I'm getting beachballs all around. iTunes stops playing.

The ball keeps spinning for around 15-20 seconds and then everything is normal again. But after a minute or so, it happens again! It only seems to happen when I put 'some' load on the CPU/GPU.

What the hell is going on GAF? I'm afraid.

No more Apple Care, forgot to buy last week.

LCfiner

Banzaiaap said:
I think my March 09 24" iMac is starting to crap up.. I'm just working in Photoshop, designing some 'basic stuff'. Just 5-10 layers of stuff so far and I'm getting beachballs all around. iTunes stops playing.

The ball keeps spinning for around 15-20 seconds and then everything is normal again. But after a minute or so, it happens again! It only seems to happen when I put 'some' load on the CPU/GPU.

I had a similar situation last year.

time for a hard drive replacement, I bet.

make sure you have your shit backed up before the HDD shits the bed!

LCfiner said:
I had a similar situation last year.

time for a hard drive replacement, I bet.

make sure you have your shit backed up before the HDD shits the bed!
It's all backed up already. How does one go about on replacing the HDD? I bet Apple has to do this? :(

Just a week out of warranty. DAMN IT.

LCfiner

Banzaiaap said:
It's all backed up already. How does one go about on replacing the HDD? I bet Apple has to do this? :(

Just a week out of warranty. DAMN IT.

oh, yeah. definitely Apple or authorized repair guys unless you like manipulating 24” wide sheets of glass with large suction cups.

I long for the day of ubiquitous SSd drives.

Tr4nce

I am a total noob when it comes to Apple Imac hardware, so what I wanted to know is: 1) how is the standard soundcard that comes with an Imac? 2) Is it possible to connect studio monitors (not the screens, but the sound speakers) to an Imac?

Thanks in advance!

VNZ

Tr4nce said:
I am a total noob when it comes to Apple Imac hardware, so what I wanted to know is: 1) how is the standard soundcard that comes with an Imac? 2) Is it possible to connect studio monitors (not the screens, but the sound speakers) to an Imac?

Thanks in advance!
For connecting monitors I guess you need 2x mono 1/4" jacks. In theory you could go with a simple adapter but I'd recommend a firewire audio interface.

Get'sMad

Not a Mac n00b, but a GLOSSY screen MBP n00b. What's the best way to clean these things? I used the cloth it came with and a little bit of water and it leaves some crazy streaks on the screen.

Soybean

Banzaiaap said:

I had this happen, but my hard drive wasn't dead. The file system was just f'ed beyond repair (i.e., disk utility could not repair the disk, even from installation DVD). I had to format the drive and restore from backup. Then I ran disk utility from the installation DVD and this time disk utility was able to fix a few issues. Everything's been cool since.

You may be able to skip the disk repair after restoring from backup, but for some reason I had residual problems. You'd want to verify the disk in any case.

lol, not getting applecare on a imac when its pretty cheap esp for students is a big mistake.

Also anyone considering the new 27inch iMac go i7 or go Home. Thing is amazing, esp when paired with 8gbs of Ram 2 G Raid drives and a 2ndary monitor :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
modernkicks said:
Not a Mac n00b, but a GLOSSY screen MBP n00b. What's the best way to clean these things? I used the cloth it came with and a little bit of water and it leaves some crazy streaks on the screen.
You shouldn't use water. A microfibre cloth should be all you need. The streaks come from the water.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
microfiber cloth and some water and/or glass cleaner works well. spray on a portion of the cloth rather than the screen/computer.

luoapp

Tr4nce said:

Thanks in advance!

Have you thought about using the S/PDIF output with an AV receiver? Obviously you have higher acoustic standards

Tr4nce

Thanks for the advice people. I'm really psyched. I'm totally fed up with Windows PC's and I really want to get a Mac ASAP!

SnakeXs

Does anyone have any experience converting a PAL DVD to NTSC? I just got a homemade wedding DVD from some familia in Greece and alas it's PAL. No idea where to begin. Would I need to use MacTheRipper or handbrake to rip it and then use something else to reencode it or something?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So my girlfriend just updated to Safari 4.0.5 on her macbook pro. The thing took forever on the update screen, and now that it booted into OS X, it's just a blue screen with a cursor. Is the computer fucked? Can she reset it, or should she wait longer?

mrkgoo

quadriplegicjon said:
So my girlfriend just updated to Safari 4.0.5 on her macbook pro. The thing took forever on the update screen, and now that it booted into OS X, it's just a blue screen with a cursor. Is the computer fucked? Can she reset it, or should she wait longer?
If it takes too long to boot, like longer than 15minutes to half an hour, I would just reboot it.

It's happened to me before (long restarts that I've given up on) and I've had no ill effects. Mileage may vary. In the end, if it's actually stuck, you don't really have any other option.

Do give it a waist though, because sometimes it will reboot twice like a reset in pram or something.

don't worry too much. As far as I understand, the files are installed at shutdown, and the reboot just make sure the new files are loaded and configured.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
Does anyone have any experience converting a PAL DVD to NTSC? I just got a homemade wedding DVD from some familia in Greece and alas it's PAL. No idea where to begin. Would I need to use MacTheRipper or handbrake to rip it and then use something else to reencode it or something?
There must be some conversion tool out there. I guess it depends if you have DVD menus or if you just have video files. Ripping and re encoding would work, but I imagine there may be some quality loss, depending on the original recording. NTSC is higher refresh, but lower resolution.

iDVD makes DVD player compatile discs for either pal or NTSC. It's possible you could make a new disc set it to NTSC an then add video files from that disc. Otherwise, just rip the files first.

Probably better ways out there, though.

mrkgoo

quadriplegicjon said:
Thanks. She is on the phone with apple right now. They had her restart while holding down the Shift key.. It's going through some process.
That reatarting in safe mode. I think it just disables a bunch of user stuff and nonessential preferences, especially log in items.

It possible some third party plugin was borked prevEnting log in.

njean777

Spriig said:
Hey guys. Just been offered a 2007 Black Macbook (Most probably with no optional upgrades) for £200/$450. Should I buy? Or is it going to be way to out of date.

how much does the person or company want for it? i say its a decent deal if you dont want top of the line hardware, and just want to use it for net, photoshop, light video editing, photo editing, etc..

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
mrkgoo said:
That reatarting in safe mode. I think it just disables a bunch of user stuff and nonessential preferences, especially log in items.

It possible some third party plugin was borked prevEnting log in.

Yeah, he had her do some stuff, she restarted normally and everything is working fine now. Yay applecare! :)

mrkgoo

quadriplegicjon said:
Yeah, he had her do some stuff, she restarted normally and everything is working fine now. Yay applecare! :)

Interesting what he recommended? Repair permissions? Anything else?

Spriig

Banned
njean777 said:
how much does the person or company want for it? i say its a decent deal if you dont want top of the line hardware, and just want to use it for net, photoshop, light video editing, photo editing, etc..
She wants £200/$450 for it. Good deal?

I'll be buying a laptop soon, and it's probably going to be running Win7. There's one Mac-only productivity application I'll still want to use on it, so I'm thinking of setting up VNC or something similar on my home iMac so I can access that application from the road. Can anyone recommend a remote-desktop style application to host on Snow Leopard and access from Win7? Thanks!

By the way, the biggest thing about Windows that I miss is the taskbar, and I recently found this shareware program "ubar" that does a pretty good job of providing taskbar-like functionality on Snow Leopard. I put my dock on the left and the taskbar (auto-hidden) at the bottom.

http://www.brawersoft.com/ubar/

luoapp

Parallax Scroll said:
By the way, the biggest thing about Windows that I miss is the taskbar, and I recently found this shareware program "ubar" that does a pretty good job of providing taskbar-like functionality on Snow Leopard. I put my dock on the left and the taskbar (auto-hidden) at the bottom.

http://www.brawersoft.com/ubar/

Why do you prefer taskbar over expose? I find expose much more intuitive and faster. ( I switched from windows to mac recently).

mrkgoo

Parallax Scroll said:
Expose is the thing that tiles thumbnails of all your windows on the screen, right?
Actually expose encompasses all windows, the desktop, application only windows, minimized windows.

luoapp

Parallax Scroll said:
Expose is the thing that tiles thumbnails of all your windows on the screen, right?

Yep. It can show all the windows of all the open applications, or the windows of the current application.

Edit: beaten.

mrkgoo said:
Actually expose encompasses all windows, the desktop, application only windows, minimized windows.
What's an "application only window?"

Edit: I'm reading up on expose now. It sounds like I'm not using it to its fullest.

F9, F10. I see. That's actually very useful.

My opinion may change once I've used expose a bit more, but I think the taskbar starts to trump expose for the way I work once lots (say, 10+) of applications and windows are open at once. With many windows open, the thumbnails shown by expose start to shrink, and it becomes harder to quickly pick out the one I want. With the taskbar, it's easy for me to remember that Word is the one all the way on the left, Chrome is the one next to that, and so on. So even with 40 or more windows open, I can very quickly click on the exact window I need.

Top Bottom