• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
bearcatjosh said:
I was linked to this thread while asking a noob question in another thread. :D

How does one copy and paste text when using a Mac?
Command+X to cut
Command+C to copy
Command+V to paste

Same as Windows. (Ctrl+X, C, V)

btkadams

bearcatjosh said:
I was linked to this thread while asking a noob question in another thread. :D

How does one copy and paste text when using a Mac?
the CMD button will be your best friend in mac os.

MCmdKey.jpg

CMD C to copy, and CMD V to paste.
also, CMD TAB is similar to the alt tab (i think thats what it is) on pc.

Jasoco

Banned
Chances are, if the person is a Mac n00b, they probably have a new Mac, which means their Command key will actually say Command on it. They changed all their computers over in late 2007. (My MB is mid-2007 and still has the Apple logo and Command logo. The switch was done shortly after.)

The hell GAF. So I downloaded the Parallels 5 trial and tried setting up a virtual machine to my boot camp partition. After it started running through initialization thing Windows 7 is trying to do start-up repair. I told it to reboot, and the piece of shit parallels ran through the start up procedure again. What the fuck did I do wrong?

Chris R

Jasoco said:
Chances are, if the person is a Mac n00b, they probably have a new Mac, which means their Command key will actually say Command on it. They changed all their computers over in late 2007. (My MB is mid-2007 and still has the Apple logo and Command logo. The switch was done shortly after.)
My command key has this giant Windows logo on it :O

I <3 my Logitech G11

Hey guys I like listening to music through quicklook at times. But what sucks is that if I click on something else besides the finder the music stops playing. Is there a mod for quicklook in which the music can keep playing in finder while I do other stuff?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Flying_Phoenix said:
Hey guys I like listening to music through quicklook at times. But what sucks is that if I click on something else besides the finder the music stops playing. Is there a mod for quicklook in which the music can keep playing in finder while I do other stuff?

W...why would you do that?

SnakeXs said:
W...why would you do that?

Because I don't like it when ever I listen to songs on iTunes it automatically adds it to its library. When I get a CD I haven't listen to before I only want certain songs on the iTunes library so I'd like to use quicklook to listen to a each song to see if it's deemed worthy.

And yeah I'd find it easier then having to delete the songs from iTunes.

GG-Duo said:
You can set it to play in another player like VLC.

Yeah but that would be a little less inconvenient then quicklook where the files are all right there. This isn't a necessity or anything, just wondering if something like that is out cause it could be useful.

EDIT - I'm not looking for a player replacement, just would like this under certain situations.

GG-Duo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah but that would be a little less inconvenient then quicklook where the files are all right there. This isn't a necessity or anything, just wondering if something like that is out cause it could be useful.

EDIT - I'm not looking for a player replacement, just would like this under certain situations.

I think the Quicklook functionality is extensible. I wonder if someone out there has the same opinion and wrote a more full-featured player? Google QuickLook Plugins.

LCfiner

Flying_Phoenix said:
Don't use quicklook. Use icon or column view and click on the icon to preview the file in finder. It won't stop playing when you switch away.

That was how you had to preview stuff before 10.5.

VNZ

LCfiner said:
Don't use quicklook. Use icon or column view and click on the icon to preview the file in finder. It won't stop playing when you switch away.

That said, being able to "pin down" any quick look window would be a very useful feature.

Jal

Quicklook for stacks would be nice, i always tap the spacebar over something then realise i have to open the folder anyway.

Anyone use the webclips feature in dashboard? I just discovered it after 9 months of owning a macbook. Pretty useful for quick access to the footy scores. This is part of the BBC's vidiprinter page.

25857gn.jpg

LCfiner said:

Wow thanks. :D

VNZ said:
That said, being able to "pin down" any quick look window would be a very useful feature.

Would be a sick feature for 10.7.

Jasoco

Banned
You can set all MP3/AAC files to open in other players than iTunes you know. Set them all to open in say VLC, then when you select a bunch and double-click they open in VLC as a playlist and start playing. I set all my MP3's to open in QuickTime. If I want to add them to iTunes, I just drag them in, otherwise I open them to play in QuickTime so they don't accidentally open iTunes and add themselves.

QuickLook is for QuickLooking, as someone said, use the previews in Column or Coverflow views to listen to a song without iTunes.

And with Snow Leopard, you can use Icon view. If the icons are big enough you can preview right there, as long as the file stays selected, it'll keep playing in the background.

Jasoco said:
You can set all MP3/AAC files to open in other players than iTunes you know. Set them all to open in say VLC, then when you select a bunch and double-click they open in VLC as a playlist and start playing. I set all my MP3's to open in QuickTime. If I want to add them to iTunes, I just drag them in, otherwise I open them to play in QuickTime so they don't accidentally open iTunes and add themselves.

I know but I don't want to bother with waiting for the program to open then having to close it.

I know it seems silly but it would be a nice to have such a feature on quicklook in other views IMO.

I did that 7 pass secure erase of my hard drive today and it only took 7 hours!!

:/

Probably overkill but I'm major OCD and i wouldn't be able to sleep at night thinking some craigslister retrieved all my personal info somehow.

I wasn't OCD enough to choose the 35 pass option, thankfully.

Ashhong

Jal said:
Quicklook for stacks would be nice, i always tap the spacebar over something then realise i have to open the folder anyway.

Anyone use the webclips feature in dashboard? I just discovered it after 9 months of owning a macbook. Pretty useful for quick access to the footy scores. This is part of the BBC's vidiprinter page.

25857gn.jpg

your CPU is only 37 degrees??? mines always at least 60 afaik

all of ur temps are way lower....what macbook do u have? how do u keep it so cool :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I don't even use the dashboard. I mean, what's the point? The only thing that's remotely useful for me is the calculator.

Ashhong

wmat said:
I don't even use the dashboard. I mean, what's the point? The only thing that's remotely useful for me is the calculator.

tvtracker, istatspro, calendar, delivery tracker, weather...very handy

Firefox, Chrome and Safari are crashing when I try to load any LivreStream page... It's like the video player is killing all my navigators.

LiveSteam is not the only video player to do so. Some others french with video player site are killing my internet browsers as well...

But it wasn't happening a week ago... Any ideas?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ashhong said:
tvtracker
No TV for me, don't watch it.
istatspro
I prefer top, ps, stuff like that. The proc interface would be nice-to-have though, I certainly miss it! Ah well. Maybe useful.
I prefer physical calendars.
delivery tracker
No need.
weather...very handy
Don't travel much, so I pretty much only have to look out of the window.

I like suggestions though, keep 'em coming.

lexi

Banned
So, quick question for MacGAF.

I have a Macbook, iMac, and a PC running Windows 7 on my network. The Windows 7 PC doesn't show under Shared in the finder, whereas Windows XP, Windows Vista, would.

Is there a workaround to this? I don't like having to manually connect every time.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
lexi said:
So, quick question for MacGAF.

I have a Macbook, iMac, and a PC running Windows 7 on my network. The Windows 7 PC doesn't show under Shared in the finder, whereas Windows XP, Windows Vista, would.

Is there a workaround to this? I don't like having to manually connect every time.
Google says:
Go to the airport network preferences. Then click advanced and after that the WINS tab select your workgroup and then put in the ip address of your windows computer. This should make it auto detect your windows 7 pc.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9010073&postcount=25

jbbb

I need some quick help.
I have a PC with Vista that is connected through cable with my wireless router, and I have an iMac with Snow Leopard that uses this router to connects to the internet wirelessly.
What I want to do is share some files between then wirelessly, is there a quick way to do this?
Thanks Gaf.

mrkgoo

wmat said:
No TV for me, don't watch it.

I prefer top, ps, stuff like that. The proc interface would be nice-to-have though, I certainly miss it! Ah well. Maybe useful.

I prefer physical calendars.

No need.

Don't travel much, so I pretty much only have to look out of the window.

I like suggestions though, keep 'em coming.

stickies, unit converter (plus currency converter).

Application Update (makes a button that you click and it checks your application folder and checks version tracker/macupdate for new versions).

Amino Acid codon table: displays table of DNA code for particular amino acids, and links to wikipedia.

Jal

Ashhong said:
your CPU is only 37 degrees??? mines always at least 60 afaik

all of ur temps are way lower....what macbook do u have? how do u keep it so cool :lol

13" MBP, must have just turned it on, usually hovers around 45-50 whilst just browsing.

I don't know if I should buy a new iMac now or wait for an update. :(

Macrumors recommendation is NEUTRAL. Mid product cycle.

Confused. I don't need it right this second but if I'll have to wait more than 6 months, I'll jump in now.

Anyone hear anything more than what macrumors is saying?

Finally got a Mac OS X disc.. Now I need to patch it and install it on my PC (I had one that worked, then upgraded the motherboard and lost compatibility :/ I love os x so much... now I got a thinkpad I really hope it works, my next computer purchase is going to be a macbook, no exceptions, i'll have to sell a kidney and survive on crackers for a few months but I'll do it). Wish me luck guys.

___

Also: not only steam and all of valve games are coming to the mac, but also PORTAL 2 :D :D :D

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Is there any good software for encrypting folders? I have some sensitive information on my laptop that needs to be secure (e.g. financial info, work related stuff, etc.). What is the best way to do this?

I've also been thinking about enabling FileVault, but I was wondering if it will result in any type of performance decrease? If it has to encrypt and decrypt on the fly, wouldn't my computer run slower?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
6.8 said:
I use disk utility and created an encrypted DMG file which i just drop my files in.

So there is no way to just set a password on the folder?

The problem with the DMG is that you have to preset the size.

Yeah, I made it 250 megs, which is enough for my needs. Obviously YMMV with this solution, but it's working great for me.

2 quick questions...1. is there a theme app for snow leopard...i want to have a more unique gui, preferably some added transparency

and 2...how do i check my cpu temp? my mbp i bought in september has been increasingly louder (fans) and im starting to worry it is overheating

jbbb

GodfatherX said:
2 quick questions...1. is there a theme app for snow leopard...i want to have a more unique gui, preferably some added transparency

and 2...how do i check my cpu temp? my mbp i bought in september has been increasingly louder (fans) and im starting to worry it is overheating

I can help with the second one, try one of these widgets http://www.islayer.com/apps/

quadriplegicjon said:

Go to get info on the folder, unlock it using the lock icon, go to your username, and click write only. You need to use your password everytime you change it back and forth between read/write.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
quadriplegicjon said:
Is there any good software for encrypting folders? I have some sensitive information on my laptop that needs to be secure (e.g. financial info, work related stuff, etc.). What is the best way to do this?

I've also been thinking about enabling FileVault, but I was wondering if it will result in any type of performance decrease? If it has to encrypt and decrypt on the fly, wouldn't my computer run slower?

Try this. It let's you create all kinds of encrypted volumes.

aparisi2274

Quick question...

I've been on a mac now for about a year, and I am loving it, and I was just curious about which software is the best for zipping up files, or unzipping or unraring files? Right now I am using Stuffit, and I've enjoyed it, just wondering if there is anything better out there...

Thanks

To password protect and even completely hide a folder so it doesn't even look like it exists I use MacHider. Fantastic for hiding my po....pog collection

Quick question...

I've been on a mac now for about a year, and I am loving it, and I was just curious about which software is the best for zipping up files, or unzipping or unraring files? Right now I am using Stuffit, and I've enjoyed it, just wondering if there is anything better out there...

Thanks
I've used a few but I always return to StuffIt.

My late 2009 iMac is crazy awesome especially with the additional ram I put in.

Going back to windows to install an application yesterday for a friend made me want to vomit.

Blackhead

Redarse
GodfatherX said:

ThemePark is your best bet but Apple keeps making it harder and harder to make and apply themes. You should check out the various themes available first (especially ones available with installers/uninstallers) before messing around with themepark

aparisi2274 said:
Quick question...

Thanks

6 Excellent Archiving Utilities for Mac

I use BetterZip, with UnRarX and StuffIt as backups for problematic archives

cabottemp

Banned
hello all. lifetime windows user here and i think i'm going to buy a mac mini at some point this week. got two questions though:

If i buy a mac mini @ an apple store do they come with os x reinstall discs? most, if not all windows computers do not come with reinstall discs nowadays.

Also, I have a vista reinstall disc for an old dell notebook. If i want to run windows on the mac mini via boot camp can I use that disc to install vista?

mrkgoo

quadriplegicjon said:

You can actually preset a size, but you can also make a sparse disk image, which has a preset size, but only takes up as much disk space as the data within. It will dynamically grow up until the maximum you set. I can't remember if you can increase the size after the fact, but it's at least trivial to just make a new one and move the data into the new one.

If you delete files from the disk image, it doesn't shrink, unless you invoke a terminal command to recompact. Trivial also.

cabot said:
hello all. lifetime windows user here and i think i'm going to buy a mac mini at some point this week. got two questions though:

If i buy a mac mini @ an apple store do they come with os x reinstall discs? most, if not all windows computers do not come with reinstall discs nowadays.

Also, I have a vista reinstall disc for an old dell notebook. If i want to run windows on the mac mini via boot camp can I use that disc to install vista?

They all come with reinstall discs. Two discs - one for the OS, and one for some extra stuff, such as iLife and Xcode. It won't come with Vista, so you need to provide your own Windows disc.

Top Bottom