• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

bionic77

The_Inquisitor said:
My stupid 3 year old macbook pro normally runs around 186 degrees on CPU A if I watch just a video. I sorely need a replacement, but seeing as I am buying a 600 dollar lens for my camera in the next 2 months and paying 3200 for summer school I am screwed.
The hottest mine gets is around 140 degrees, usually from GIFS at this forum. :lol

Pctx

Banned
Okay I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

Why is it that I cannot find an mkv2vob like app for the mac that is f'ning free.. like the one for windows so I can watch shit on my PS3?

This is getting annoying having to boot up VMware and then convert and do all that shit... there's gotta be an easier way.

Pctx said:

Why is it that I cannot find an mkv2vob like app for the mac that is f'ning free.. like the one for windows so I can watch shit on my PS3?

This is getting annoying having to boot up VMware and then convert and do all that shit... there's gotta be an easier way.
Install the perian plugin: http://perian.org/
Open the mkv file in quicktime
Save it as a mov.
Stream it to your PS3 with MediaLink: http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink
Done.

Sounds pretty easy.

Schrade

Pctx said:

You could always just use PS3 Media Server: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

No need to remux anything at all. And if you want to copy a file to the PS3 from the streaming computer, you just hit triangle in the XMB and select Copy.

Is there any way to get the Mail app to start on its own instead of me having to open the app manually? I know I can check it as a login item and it will start when I turn on my computer. What this does though is pops the app up on my screen when I log on. I don't want that. I just want it to run in the background and if I have mail I will see the red number icon on the dock badge. Is this possible? My explanation might be hard to understand; hope its not.

Maximus.

im not looking forward to the temps my macbook pro is going to deal with when steam is released on osx :lol It gets hot enough streaming vids, going to be insane when actually playing games.

lexi

Banned
criesofthepast said:
Is there any way to get the Mail app to start on its own instead of me having to open the app manually? I know I can check it as a login item and it will start when I turn on my computer. What this does though is pops the app up on my screen when I log on. I don't want that. I just want it to run in the background and if I have mail I will see the red number icon on the dock badge. Is this possible? My explanation might be hard to understand; hope its not.

In Login Items under Accounts, tick the Hide checkbox next to Mail

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Middle Click

Here.

No longer must Mac users move to the keyboard to open links in a new tab—free, open-source app MiddleClick sits in your menu bar and allows you to use 3 fingers to middle click on Apple's multitouch devices.

It's freaking middle clicking. ^_^

Edit: You may want to turn off autoscroll while using this.

Spriig

Banned
So I just got a 2nd hand Macbook and it has ALOT of saved data (Calender Events etc) and Files I really don't want. Any way of completely resetting this thing to Factory default and wiping it clean? I don't have the OS on a disk.

hirokazu

Spriig said:
So I just got a 2nd hand Macbook and it has ALOT of saved data (Calender Events etc) and Files I really don't want. Any way of completely resetting this thing to Factory default and wiping it clean? I don't have the OS on a disk.
Create a new admin account in System Preferences > Accounts, then login to the new account, then (optionally) delete the original account. Use the newly created account.

mrkgoo

Spriig said:

No way to completely reset it without reinstall disc. A new account is close. Why would someone sell their computer without deleting their data? Or without the discs?

At any rate, I believe Snow Leopard can be used as complete install, so I'd just go and buy one.

Spriig

Banned
mrkgoo said:
No way to completely reset it without reinstall disc. A new account is close. Why would someone sell their computer without deleting their data? Or without the discs?

At any rate, I believe Snow Leopard can be used as complete install, so I'd just go and buy one.
I think I'm on a old OS. Alot of feautures I remember from college are missing. Will a 3 year old Macbook run the latest OS? I'm guessing that's Snow Leopard? Completeee OSX and Mac noob btw, sorry

Spriig said:
I think I'm on a old OS. Alot of feautures I remember from college are missing. Will a 3 year old Macbook run the latest OS? I'm guessing that's Snow Leopard? Completeee OSX and Mac noob btw, sorry
If it's a MacBook, yes. It will run Snow Leopard. Every model of MacBook released will run Snow Leopard. PowerBook, no. MacBook, yes.

Garou

Spriig said:

If it is called "Macbook" and not "iBook" then it can run Snow Leopard.

But remember: If you don't have any install discs at all, then you probably want to get the Mac Boxset, because Snow Leopard alone doesn't contain iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iWeb).

elevature

Neo Member
Spriig said:
So I just got a 2nd hand Macbook and it has A LOT of saved data (Calender Events etc) and Files I really don't want. Any way of completely resetting this thing to Factory default and wiping it clean? I don't have the OS on a disk.

it is horrifying that someone would sell a computer without wiping all of their data first. You should see if their email address is in there (and it very likely is) and send them a message telling them how dumb that was and how lucky they are that you're not going to use their data for nefarious purposes.

movie_club

Recently when I download PDFs from firefox they do not automatically open in preview, but they used to. How do I turn this setting back on? Thanks

mrkgoo

movie_club said:
Recently when I download PDFs from firefox they do not automatically open in preview, but they used to. How do I turn this setting back on? Thanks

Depends. There are at least two things going on here:

If you mean that when you download a pdf, you want it to automatically open - then that's probably a setting in FireFox preferences.

If you want a pdf to open in Preview when it is double-clicked, then that's a global setting for PDFs. Right click on any pdf and "get info". There should be a box telling you what the default program is used to open it. Set it to preview, and then set it for all files of this type.

movie_club

mrkgoo said:
Depends. There are at least two things going on here:

If you mean that when you download a pdf, you want it to automatically open - then that's probably a setting in FireFox preferences.

If you want a pdf to open in Preview when it is double-clicked, then that's a global setting for PDFs. Right click on any pdf and "get info". There should be a box telling you what the default program is used to open it. Set it to preview, and then set it for all files of this type.
Thanks, I mean when i d/l one from firefox i want it to open in preview, it used to. I can not find where this is in firefox but ill keep looking. When i d/l a Powerpoint it opens automatically in powerpoint

mrkgoo

movie_club said:
Thanks, I mean when i d/l one from firefox i want it to open in preview, it used to. I can not find where this is in firefox but ill keep looking. When i d/l a Powerpoint it opens automatically in powerpoint
I'm still not clear what you mean.

Again two things are happening.

1) You download pdf from firefox.

2) You open pdf.

It depends on where you re having the issue. Your download is not automatically opening at all? Or it's automatically opening, but not in the right app? Or all PDFs aren't opening up?

What happens if you open a pdf file that wasn't just downloaded via firefox? Or an older pdf on your disc?

See the second part to my above response.

edit:
movie_club said:
never mind, got it

Please let us know what it was.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I bow to your knowledge, MacGAF. Has anyone else had problems with their MacBook Pro either randomly going to sleep or randomly rebooting? Mine is doing both and I cannot figure out why. I'd appreciate any help possible and am ready with whatever info you might need to diagnose it.

Help my poor machine. GIFGAF is depending on you. ^_^

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
OneEightZero said:
I bow to your knowledge, MacGAF. Has anyone else had problems with their MacBook Pro either randomly going to sleep or randomly rebooting? Mine is doing both and I cannot figure out why. I'd appreciate any help possible and am ready with whatever info you might need to diagnose it.

Does this happen when you're on battery power only or when you're plugged in as well?

bionic77

OneEightZero said:

Sounds like a hardware problem.

Check to see if it is something simple like a reset of the PRAM and any other RAM.

If I were you and it was under warranty I would take it to the Apple store. I had a similar problem where my MBP would just shut down randomly. The cause was a faulty logic board.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
RubxQub said:
Does this happen when you're on battery power only or when you're plugged in as well?

Both. And this is the most annoying thing, because I can't pin it down to certain scenarios. It's just random, whether I'm just browsing the web or using Photoshop.

bionic77 said:
Sounds like a hardware problem.

Check to see if it is something simple like a reset of the PRAM and any other RAM.

If I were you and it was under warranty I would take it to the Apple store. I had a similar problem where my MBP would just shut down randomly. The cause was a faulty logic board.

I'm afraid it's something to do with hardware... logic board. I'll start with the RAM reset. How would I do that?

It's not under warranty. It's the last revision of the MBP before the ones with the chiclet style keyboard.

Tr4nce

Hmm. For the techies here.

I want to buy a 21.5'' iMac, but I'm having doubts about buying the 4GB RAM version or to add another 4GB? I've heard that Logic Pro 9 only runs in 32 bit, and that 32 bit programs only can use 4GB? So, if I have 8GB's RAM, Logic Pro 9 can't even use all of this extra RAM? Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Tr4nce said:

I want to buy a 21.5'' iMac, but I'm having doubts about buying the 4GB RAM version or to add another 4GB? I've heard that Logic Pro 9 only runs in 32 bit, and that 32 bit programs only can use 4GB? So, if I have 8GB's RAM, Logic Pro 9 can't even use all of this extra RAM? Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?
A process that only uses 32bit instructions can maximally operate on memory addresses with the address width of 32bit.
32bit: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 - 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111
In hex, that's 0xFF FF FF FF
If each byte in RAM has a unique address, 4GB of RAM holds exactly that amount of addresses.
You can calculate this yourself:
4GB = 4096MB = 4194304KB = 4294967296B
0xFF FF FF FF in decimal is 4294967295

So the process will only address that many bytes. (Edit: You get 0x00 00 00 00 as an extra address, so it really amounts to 4294967296)

Tr4nce

wmat said:
A process that only uses 32bit instructions can maximally operate on memory addresses with the address width of 32bit.
32bit: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 - 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111
In hex, that's 0xFF FF FF FF
If each byte in RAM has a unique address, 4GB of RAM holds exactly that amount of addresses.
You can calculate this yourself:
4GB = 4096MB = 4194304KB = 4294967296B
0xFF FF FF FF in decimal is 4294967295

So the process will only address that many bytes. (Edit: You get 0x00 00 00 00 as an extra address, so it really amounts to 4294967296)

Lol, eeeeeeeehm... So, should I get the extra 4GB or not? :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Logic will only use 4GB, but other processes and the operating system will benefit from the extra RAM. This will ultimately result in an overall better performance even while Logic is running. I'd say sure, go ahead.

pj

Banned
BetterTouchTool got another sweet feature today, the snap feature from Windows 7.

Kind of hard to take a pic of it working, but I tried anyway

e63wva.png

You just grab a window by the title bar and drag it to one side or the other and it automatically resizes it to fill half the screen. Moving it again makes it go back to its old size. Dragging it to the top makes it fill the entire screen.

Edit: theres a video of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR3EmK3K5H4

Double Edit: Alt + Move cursor to resize windows and Control + Move cursor to move windows is great on a track pad.

Tr4nce said:

Logic 9 does work in 64 bit- some features aren't supported though
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3171

Mr. Wonderful said:
Yeah. The screen snapping is the one feature I miss when I use OS X over Windows 7.

Took me forever to figure out why screen snapping wasn't working for me, then I realized I hadn't updated to the newest version. durh.

BTT is fantastic. I use it for easily switch spaces from the mouse, mostly (and now window snapping)

Jasoco

Banned
You know, before Better Touch Tool did it, there was an app called Cinch that did the same thing. You could have been using the feature for months.

I hate that feature. It is useless and I don't get why so many people want it on OS X.It's stupid IMHO but that's just me. I also hate the idea of Cut and Paste in the Finder but so many people want that too so what the fuck ever.

LCfiner

Jasoco said:
You know, before Better Touch Tool did it, there was an app called Cinch that did the same thing. You could have been using the feature for months.

I hate that feature. It is useless and I don't get why so many people want it on OS X.It's stupid IMHO but that's just me. I also hate the idea of Cut and Paste in the Finder but so many people want that too so what the fuck ever.

I like how quickly it can set up to browser windows side by side. one for giantbomb video, one for gaf.

or, for comparing large images, pdfs, etc. it's just a shortcut to getting visual data comparisons setup

Jasoco

Banned
It's not hard to open two windows and drag files from one to the other. Cut makes no sense in the file paradigm therefore it will NEVER be implemented into the Finder. Not with the name "Cut" at least. Maybe if they implemented it as "Mark file" and added a "Move Marked to Here" or "Copy Marked to Here" option that appears when a file is "Marked" then it'll be implemented. But Cut will never be implemented as is. It makes no sense in the logical sense as you can't "cut" a file. Where does it go? It doesn't. So why "cut" it?

In Windows 95, Cut and Paste was so buggy, if you didn't "Paste" the file before rebooting or "cutting" another file, the file you had cut before DISAPPEARED. Deleted. No Recycle Bin, just gone. I discovered this one day and lost a lot of files. I haven't used it since. It has been 15 years since I used Cut and Paste in a file system. In those 15 years I have trained myself to move files normally. Two windows is nothing.

Jasoco

Banned
LCfiner said:
I like how quickly it can set up to browser windows side by side. one for giantbomb video, one for gaf.

or, for comparing large images, pdfs, etc. it's just a shortcut to getting visual data comparisons setup
The only time I would want tiled windows would be in TextWrangler. And that has a built-in "compare two front documents" option. I never have more than one browser window open, and if I want to watch an online video while doing other things I open Firefox and download it with DownloadHelper then use Movist with On Top mode.

Edit: Sorry, meant to append this to my previous post. Why can't I delete?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Cut & Paste, apart from the word "cut" in it, makes total sense. While I'm used to terminals, so I don't have any problem with the feature missing, it really should be in there. I don't think you can make any real point against it.
Call it Mark & Move if you want to. Whatever the name is, you just can't move files in one Finder window exclusively if you can't see the folder you want to move shit to, and that's not a good thing. You can't mark, then navigate, then move marked to current folder.

There's no upside to how it is now. It's not a confusing operation, it's not hard to implement, it makes sense.. It's really a missing feature.

LCfiner

wmat said:
Cut & Paste, apart from the word "cut" in it, makes total sense. While I'm used to terminals, so I don't have any problem with the feature missing, it really should be in there. I don't think you can make any real point against it.
Call it Mark & Move if you want to. Whatever the name is, you just can't move files in one Finder window exclusively if you can't see the folder you want to move shit to, and that's not a good thing. You can't mark, then navigate, then move marked to current folder.

There's no upside to how it is now. It's not a confusing operation, it's not hard to implement, it makes sense.. It's really a missing feature.

I ended up using the improved services feature in 10.6 along with automator to make a "move to..." action as a context menu for finder items.

it gets the job done for the times I just want a simple move to an external drive.

Jasoco [spoiler said:
I hate that feature. It is useless and I don't get why so many people want it on OS X.It's stupid IMHO but that's just me. I also hate the idea of Cut and Paste in the Finder but so many people want that too so what the fuck ever.[/spoiler]
You know what I hate? People that call features useless because it's not something they don't think they need. I am so glad that everyone pointed out this new feature because it will come in handy a lot for work. I had been doing it manually for a while and it was the only feature that really gave me Windows 7 envy.

Jasoco

Banned
wmat said:

Then open two windows! I fucking HATE single window mode in the Finder ever since they implemented it and wish there was a way to disable it completely. Sidebar notwithstanding. I hate how it shows its ugly head at the worst times too. I have windows set up the way I want them, and this stupid feature takes over. The only time I would ever want single-window mode is if I use Command+N to open a new window. All other times, when double-clicking a folder icon, I do not want to see that stupid single-window mode.

Also, you can move a file with one or no windows open. It's called Spring-Loaded Folders.

thewesker said:
You know what I hate? People that call features useless because it's not something they don't think they need. I am so glad that everyone pointed out this new feature because it will come in handy a lot for work. I had been doing it manually for a while and it was the only feature that really gave me Windows 7 envy.
It is useless. For me. So, yes. From my POV, it is useless. You have a use for it? Fine. I don't. The only thing I envy in Windows 7 however is tabbed programs showing each tab as a thumbnail on hover. Why this hasn't been implemented in some way or form in OS X is beyond me. Especially since it's not hard for a developer to add each tab's title to the Dock icon's contextual menu. This is why I use one window in browsers. Also because I hate when windows open and get lost and I don't know they're there until I Exposé and suddenly POOF, there's a window I didn't know about hiding behind my other windows.

Top Bottom