• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Tf53

Jasoco said:
Just curious but why can't you use Time Machine? That's what it's there for.
I only have a laptop and a semi-ancient USB HDD. It's somewhat of a pain in the ass to hook it up. If I had the cash, I'd get a Mini and build an always-on backup system based on that. Alas, I'm more broke than I've ever been.

Chao

FOr some reason, my Snow Leopard was kind of slow lately, specially loading applications and Safari browsing.
I had a bootcamp partition with Windows 7 on my MBP. I was trying to play some demos on Steam but was disappointed with the performance, so I decided to delete that partition.

Well, now my Snow Leopard partition is blazing fast. What happened? I had like 35 gbs of free space on my OSX before, so that wasn't the problem. How in the hell was that Windows partition interfering with OSX?

And I mean, this is no placebo effect of any kind, beach balls were all over the place before I deleted it.

Jasoco

Banned
Tf53 said:
I only have a laptop and a semi-ancient USB HDD. It's somewhat of a pain in the ass to hook it up. If I had the cash, I'd get a Mini and build an always-on backup system based on that. Alas, I'm more broke than I've ever been.
I see. Yeah. I have an old mini I use for my wireless backups. You could get a Time Capsule. They're cheaper than a mini.

edgefusion

Chao said:
FOr some reason, my Snow Leopard was kind of slow lately, specially loading applications and Safari browsing.
I had a bootcamp partition with Windows 7 on my MBP. I was trying to play some demos on Steam but was disappointed with the performance, so I decided to delete that partition.

Well, now my Snow Leopard partition is blazing fast. What happened? I had like 35 gbs of free space on my OSX before, so that wasn't the problem. How in the hell was that Windows partition interfering with OSX?

And I mean, this is no placebo effect of any kind, beach balls were all over the place before I deleted it.

Oh really? My Snow Leopard has been rather sluggish for a long while and I have a Windows 7 partition. I've got nothing in it at the moment so I might just wipe it and see if that makes a difference. With Steam coming to OS X in April it's not much of a big deal, the only PC game I really played was Mass Effect 2 and I'm pretty done with that now anyway.

kaskade

Jasoco said:
I see. Yeah. I have an old mini I use for my wireless backups. You could get a Time Capsule. They're cheaper than a mini.
I was thinking about a time capsule. I'm not worried about losing too much if my hard drive fails but I don't want to lose my pictures or music(music I can just get off my ipod). It's a pain in the ass making backups.

Tf53

Jasoco said:
A mini would also provide extra functionality media center-wise. Oh well, can't afford either option right now. :D

Jasoco

Banned
After I buy my MacBook Pro in a few weeks (Whenever the hell Apple releases them) I'm putting a little aside every week to get a new mini. I still have a very first generation G4 mini that works fine except for being too slow to play any of my good ripped H.264 movies, too slow to rip the rest and just plain too slow. So a new mini will be a great thing for my Media Center when it comes. I just hate that they still cost $600 now. When I bought mine it was $500. I miss those days. (Though back then I bought the mini as a main computer. This was before I switched to laptops. I had originally planned on replacing it every year when it was still $500. That never happened.)

I just started having problems with websites failing to load. The problem is fixed simply by refreshing the page.

Example:

Go to google.com. Doesn't load. Refresh. Loads fine. Go to neogaf.com. Doesn't load. Refresh. Loads fine.

This happens in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

This is also happening on my iPhone. Tested my mothers Windows laptop with Chrome and doesn't seem to be a problem.

I did pretty much everything on my Mac like cleaning caches, disc repair, re-installing safari, etc. I don't think this is a software or hardware issue because it's happening on my iPhone too now.

So it has to be my ISP right? But what kind of issue could it be if it's only happening on my Mac platforms? Haven't gotten a chance to call them yet but anyone have an idea?

This is odd. Just started this morning.

mrkgoo

criesofthepast said:
I just started having problems with websites failing to load. The problem is fixed simply by refreshing the page.

Example:

Go to google.com. Doesn't load. Refresh. Loads fine. Go to neogaf.com. Doesn't load. Refresh. Loads fine.

This happens in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

This is also happening on my iPhone. Tested my mothers Windows laptop with Chrome and doesn't seem to be a problem.

I did pretty much everything on my Mac like cleaning caches, disc repair, re-installing safari, etc. I don't think this is a software or hardware issue because it's happening on my iPhone too now.

So it has to be my ISP right? But what kind of issue could it be if it's only happening on my Mac platforms? Haven't gotten a chance to call them yet but anyone have an idea?

This is odd. Just started this morning.
Dns settings?

mrkgoo

criesofthepast said:
What are you saying exactly? :/

What about dns?
Just suggesting that your dns settings could be causing it. Maybe. I don't know. You could try a public dns like googles, fr example.

Get'sMad

Guys, my trackpad on my mid-2009 15" MBP doesn't click anymore-- like it still physically presses down but nothing happens on the screen. I can still move the cursor and all the multi-touch functions work, but I literally cannot click anything (thank god for having a bluetooth mouse around). Anyone had this problem before? Thankfully I'm still under warranty, have Apple Care and an ol' 2006 MBP lying around but still the thought I'm likely going to have to send this bitch in for a week or 2 sucks. :(

mrkgoo said:
Just suggesting that your dns settings could be causing it. Maybe. I don't know. You could try a public dns like googles, fr example.
Yeah I'm not too experienced with stuff like this. I tried open dns on my mac and that didn't change anything. I'm posting this from my iPhone and it's happening almost every 2nd link I click. Gotta keep refreshing.

Oh well. I'm positive it's a problem with my Internet and not hardware/software related so I'll call them later.

mrkgoo

modernkicks said:
Guys, my trackpad on my mid-2009 15" MBP doesn't click anymore-- like it still physically presses down but nothing happens on the screen. I can still move the cursor and all the multi-touch functions work, but I literally cannot click anything (thank god for having a bluetooth mouse around). Anyone had this problem before? Thankfully I'm still under warranty, have Apple Care and an ol' 2006 MBP lying around but still the thought I'm likely going to have to send this bitch in for a week or 2 sucks. :(
Sometimes stuff can get stuck under it.

Does your tap to click work?

Criesofthepast: probably. Good luck, hope you figure it out!

For the record, from what I understand dns to be is a lookup server for translating a web address to an ip address so you can be taken to the right thing. ISPs typically have their own (and sometimes they redirect you to advertising if they can't find the address). Public ones such as googles are supposedly more secure and can be faster.

You just go to your network settings and replace the dns servers with googles. Don't forget you may need to write down the old ones inyou wan to go back.

Paraclete

Banned
criesofthepast said:
Yeah I'm not too experienced with stuff like this. I tried open dns on my mac and that didn't change anything. I'm posting this from my iPhone and it's happening almost every 2nd link I click. Gotta keep refreshing.

Oh well. I'm positive it's a problem with my Internet and not hardware/software related so I'll call them later.

I'm 99% precent sure its DNS related. Who's your ISP?

You can try manually setting the DNS servers to something like openDNS

bionic77

modernkicks said:
Take it to the store. They might be able to do a quick fix. Otherwise when it is gone just think of it this way, you can only appreciate something once it is gone and when it comes back it will feel like getting a brand new laptop.

Thanks guys. I called my ISP (Rogers) and they said it can't be a DNS issue because my moms PC laptop works fine? I don't know if that makes sense or not but he said it can't be DNS.

BUT, he said the numbers he's seeing on his end show there is an issue with my connection so they are coming to check it out tomorrow.

For the record I am using open dns now on my iMac and that did not solve the problem.

cabottemp

Banned
hello all.

my mac mini does this wierd thing where if it's inactive for a certain amount of time (usually like 10 min or so) my monitor will cut out and just start cycling between my dvi intpu and my analog/vga input. it will flash "dvi" then "vga" for about 20 seconds then flash my osx desktop for like half a second then go through the whole dvi vga nonsense again.

i don't know if it's a problem with my mac or a proglem with my monitor.

cabottemp

Banned
I'm thinking it was my vga cable. I have my mini hooked up to my monitor via dvi right now and both are working flawlessly.

phew.

i wouldn'tve cared so much if it was the mini, i mean it still would've sucked but i have applecare, but if had to replace the monitor that would've suuuuucked.

mrkgoo

Hello.

Just an appreciation post.

What features of Mac OS X that you thought was 'kinda neat' at first, but didn't use much, then later used a lot and now cant live without?

Expose: Going back to some linux, I'm just lost as to how I'm supposed to find all my windows.

Spotlight: OMG. Application launcher, file finder... a computer to me is nearly not a computer unless it has something equivalent.

Quicklook: this is kind of why I bothered to post this. I thought it was a fine feature that was introduced, but being ble to very quickly preview any file without having to open Word, or some other processor, or a movie file viewer is SO good.

i bought an imac the other week after a 6 month windows sabbatical (old MBP died) and i'm still getting used to the little things in snow leopard. does anyone have any idea why i can't get anything to stay "cleaned up"/auto arranged for love nor money? basically if i delete a file i want the gaping hole to be filled.

hEist

so gaf, i've installed mac os on my netbook.
Now i need a good program to synchronize between 2 mac's (Folders specially).
Any recommandations?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
My macbook pro had been acting oddly, so last week I did a 'verify disk' through disk utility, and it found a bunch of errors. I popped in my OS X disk and fixed them. Everything was good for about a week or so, then my computer started acting funky again. I just did another verify disk, and there are errors again. Does this mean my hard drive is failing?

bionic77

quadriplegicjon said:
My macbook pro had been acting oddly, so last week I did a 'verify disk' through disk utility, and it found a bunch of errors. I popped in my OS X disk and fixed them. Everything was good for about a week or so, then my computer started acting funky again. I just did another verify disk, and there are errors again. Does this mean my hard drive is failing?
Time to upgrade to a SSD.

Vyer

quadriplegicjon said:

yes. probably.

backup, get it replaced. a new drive and a clean reload would work wonders

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Vyer said:
yes. probably.

backup, get it replaced. a new drive and a clean reload would work wonders

It's still under applecare. Will they replace it before it's completely failed, or do I have to wait until I have a major problem?

Pachimari

I really don't know where to ask this, so I figured out just trying in here, as I'm kind of a noob as well. I have owned various iPods, Nanos, Shuffles and iPhone 1G.

Now I'm planning to go all out Apple. I want to surf the Internet, work in Photoshop (just small stuff), chat and mostly store all of my entertainment content in one Mac. I already got a Netbook and plan to buy iPhone HD and iPad to bring stuff around the house. And a 46" Samsung 8050 LED-TV to act as a monitor.

Would this seem like a good setup?:

- Mac Mini / keyboard, magic mouse (along with Plex) [but the Mini only has 500GB]
- Time Capsule 2TB (constant backup)
- Eye TV 250 (so that I can watch and record tv through my cable tv?)

How does that look?

Paraclete

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
It's still under applecare. Will they replace it before it's completely failed, or do I have to wait until I have a major problem?
I would back it up to an external and call Apple. Chances are if its constantly showing errors they will probably replace. Regardless, you need to have an external backup in this day an age.

Tf53

Anastacio said:
I really don't know where to ask this, so I figured out just trying in here, as I'm kind of a noob as well. I have owned various iPods, Nanos, Shuffles and iPhone 1G.

Now I'm planning to go all out Apple. I want to surf the Internet, work in Photoshop (just small stuff), chat and mostly store all of my entertainment content in one Mac. I already got a Netbook and plan to buy iPhone HD and iPad to bring stuff around the house. And a 46" Samsung 8050 LED-TV to act as a monitor.

Would this seem like a good setup?:

- Mac Mini / keyboard, magic mouse (along with Plex) [but the Mini only has 500GB]
- Time Capsule 2TB (constant backup)
- Eye TV 250 (so that I can watch and record tv through my cable tv?)

How does that look?
As long as it's small Photoshop stuff, you should be ok, but make sure to get at least 2GB ram on the Mini (I don't know if it goes up to 4 these days). I used to do layout work on a Mini, and it got a bit chuggy with the larger stuff.

Pachimari

Tf53 said:
As long as it's small Photoshop stuff, you should be ok, but make sure to get at least 2GB ram on the Mini (I don't know if it goes up to 4 these days). I used to do layout work on a Mini, and it got a bit chuggy with the larger stuff.

The Mac Mini will be:
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM (memory)
500GB Serial ATA Drive

The Photoshop stuff will just be for cropping images, maybe add a effect here and there.
Would this setup seem good enough (the primary function will be media, entertainment)?

And can it run 1080p or "just" 720p? And through a Onkyo reciever?
What about Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server? I would like the Mini to stream out entertainment to the iPad and iPhone as well, so that it functions as the hub of all devices.

Jasoco

Banned
bionic77 said:
Time to upgrade to a SSD.
Ugh, so expensive. Until I can get a 256GB Laptop sized SSD for under $150 it won't be worth it for me. Not with regular HD's so cheap.

btkadams said:
does anyone here have 2 backups? if so, why?
Yes. Because HD's die. And I have had two backups die the same day. I keep one clone and one Time Machine. Both connected to a remote mini that my MacBook backs up to wirelessly. Once a day for the clone and hourly for the TM. I also have all my ripped DVD's backed up. 2TB drives have hit that low price point where it's crazy not to buy a couple. (The sub-$150 price point.) I just had my last LaCie die a few months ago. (Edit: In the wake of my laptop HD loss, I discovered I never lost my last 500GB LaCie.) None of my Western Digital MyBook's or Elements have died yet, but if one does, I am happy to have enough backups to never have to worry again.

On a side note, all the Apple news sites are reporting that the long awaited MacBook update (All models) are finally coming THIS MONTH after chip shortages delayed them for so long. I really hope so and can't wait and hope when they do get announced it's not an "Available in June" thing. At least not for the lowest end Pro. I have my money ready to go, Apple.

I'm hoping for next Tuesday, but not holding my breath. (Probably will end up being the 27th. That is if it is a Tuesday.)

Edit: Oh irony of ironies. Or is it just coincidence? I dunno. I just had the HD in my laptop die. A 500GB Hitachi laptop drive that I bought to replace the 500GB Seagate I bought to replace the 500GB WD Scorpio I bought to replace the 250GB WD Scorpio I bought to replace the internal 80GB Hitachi Apple installed. Which itself died a few months ago. Thankfully my recent clone is from noon and I hadn't done anything in the past 8 hours to get mad about losing. It's just inconvenient now to be booted from my clone while I wait to replace the HD. Thankfully, as I mentioned, HD's are cheap as dirt. A 250GB laptop drive (Which is all I really need) is only $50. I wasn't planning on spending more money on this computer what with the now super close updates coming, but I guess $50 isn't a big amount. It's just so weird that it picked TODAY to die. :lol I can't help but laugh because it's just so... I mean what a loud click these tiny little things make.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
btkadams said:
does anyone here have 2 backups? if so, why?
because it's trivial money and, at least on the mac, brain-dead easy.

i have dropbox to backup and duplicate personal documents across several computers, and clone the boot drive on two separate drives (one internal, one firewire) once a month. using backuplist+ (fantastic free cloning/backup software) it takes less than 30 minutes to backup ~30 gigs of data.

With iTunes 8, I could have different sections of my library have different views. I like grid view for Apps, list view for most music and cover flow for a couple of playlists.
With iTunes 9, any view I select becomes default for everything else in iTunes. Any hidden plist setting to change this?

LCfiner

infiniteloop said:
With iTunes 8, I could have different sections of my library have different views. I like grid view for Apps, list view for most music and cover flow for a couple of playlists.
With iTunes 9, any view I select becomes default for everything else in iTunes. Any hidden plist setting to change this?

This still works for iTunes 9 on the Mac. I have different views for the different sources and can change them independently.

Weird, doesn't work for me, 10.6.3, iTunes 9.1. I've looked all through the iTunes preferences and I don't see anything relating to it.

EDIT: Downloaded this script. Unchecked 'View setting is global'. Works now.

fireside

Is there a way to make an iTunes smart playlist that does this (an example is easier to explain):

I have some albums that are compilations. I want to make a playlist with songs by a certain artist, but I want it to also add the entire compilation album that his song(s) are featured on, not just the songs by the artist. Basically if an artist is featured on an album, I want the whole album, not just the artist's song. Does that make sense?

ruxtpin

Banned
I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, so I thought I might ask it here. I've been considering buying a Mac notebook, but have never owned a Mac before. I do all my school and work on Windows machines.

I wouldn't be using it for any heavy gaming or movie production or anything like that. I just want something that I don't have to hassle with, that's ready good to go, and portable. And I get the feeling that's what Apple tries to push with it's products.

I'll continue to use my Windows computer for work/school related stuff, but when relaxing or just surfing, etc. - I'd use the Mac.

Would I be set with just the Macbook? Or should I get a Macbook Pro (the most basic one?)
I'm not looking to spend too much over $1100.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ruxtpin said:
Would I be set with just the Macbook? Or should I get a Macbook Pro (the most basic one?)
I'm not looking to spend too much over $1100.
I use my white unibody Macbook for everything, from internet surfing to programming, research, watching video, listening to music and so forth.

You want to basically get a 13" Macbook Pro instead of the white Macbook if you need Firewire and an SD card slot, and if you want to get 2.53Ghz instead of 2.26 per core.

For further details, check this comparison: http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac/whichmacbook.html

Burger

Anyone here ever had their Macbook Pro display shit itself and basically become interlaced, but with vertical lines, not horizontal ones ?

I suspect that the 8600M is finally dying, due to the design faults in the chip. Thanks a fucking lot nVidia you arseholes.

I think the warranty on that chip was only extended to 2 yrs from the purchase date right ? If it's 3 yrs I have another 3 months left.

Anso

Just switched from QuickSilver to LaunchBar and lovin' it. Extremely stable and once you realize that you exchange hotness for small footprint and speed you feel very good. I get angry when I use computers without launchers nowadays.

njean777

Burger said:
Anyone here ever had their Macbook Pro display shit itself and basically become interlaced, but with vertical lines, not horizontal ones ?

I suspect that the 8600M is finally dying, due to the design faults in the chip. Thanks a fucking lot nVidia you arseholes.

I think the warranty on that chip was only extended to 2 yrs from the purchase date right ? If it's 3 yrs I have another 3 months left.

yeah probably your video-card going bye bye, that is typical behavior when they die.

Jasoco

Banned
Anso said:
Just switched from QuickSilver to LaunchBar and lovin' it. Extremely stable and once you realize that you exchange hotness for small footprint and speed you feel very good. I get angry when I use computers without launchers nowadays.
I just use Spotlight.

Top Bottom