• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

All right this is REALLY starting to annoy me. My macbook is constantly losing wireless internet connection every 20 minutes or so since yesterday. Every time it happens I have to go into the network menu and renew my DHCP lease to get the connection back.

The only thing I've changed about my network is my security settings. I switched from wep to wpa2. But I did that over a week ago and this problem only started happening yesterday. Can anyone help me?

Get'sMad

Anyone have any experience with using a mini displayport to HDMI adapter to hook up to a flat screen? I want to know if it will output 1920 x 1080 correctly to my television. I have a mid '09 15" MBP (w/ the 512mb Nvidia) and just bought a 50" Panasonic G25 plasma. Unfortunately the G25 only allows up a resolution up to 1280 x 1024 through the VGA input.

pj

Banned
modernkicks said:
Anyone have any experience with using a mini displayport to HDMI adapter to hook up to a flat screen? I want to know if it will output 1920 x 1080 correctly to my television. I have a mid '09 15" MBP (w/ the 512mb Nvidia) and just bought a 50" Panasonic G25 plasma. Unfortunately the G25 only allows up a resolution up to 1280 x 1024 through the VGA input.

I have a G10 and my MBP and Mac Mini output 1920x1080 to it just fine with the adapter. You will have to turn off overscan on your tv. You may also have to turn overscan on on the mac, don't ask me why because I don't know. I just know that on mine, with overscan off, the image doesn't fill the screen.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
modernkicks said:
because that's VGA. you need to utilize the DP->HDMI adapter to get higher resolutions. that works fine to drive both my 28" monitor and 42" flatscreen. the DP->HDMI adapter also works to connect to DVI with the appropriate cable/converter.

btkadams

does anybody else hate how apple so perfectly designs and markets products? i don't need them, but i want to buy a new macbook pro, mac pro, and ipad, multiple 30"cinema displays, etc. im scared for when im older and have spare cash that im gonna be that guy who spends 14,000 on a fucking mac pro.

LCfiner

btkadams said:
does anybody else hate how apple so perfectly designs and markets products? i don't need them, but i want to buy a new macbook pro, mac pro, and ipad, multiple 30"cinema displays, etc. im scared for when im older and have spare cash that im gonna be that guy who spends 14,000 on a fucking mac pro.

your impetuousness will decrease with age.

stay strong.

anyway, brb, gotta buy another dozen ipads.

RJNavarrete said:
Is there a way to make pressing "tab" also highlight drop-down boxes, and not just empty text fields? [On firefox, btw]
Anyone? :(

EDIT: NVM. Found it after some searching around. Thanks for nothing, you bastards. :lol

LCfiner

No problem, RJ :p

So, Steve Jobs continues to do the work of Apple PR people for them by responding to another random person’s email about Mac OS X 10.7 development:

"A worried Canadian reader sent Jobs the following email to Steve Jobs:

I was wondering, is it true that the iPhone 4 is cutting into OSX development causing a delay, as a big Mac user, this is of huge concern to me. I just hope your balancing development and working as much as you can. Is OSX development still a huge priority? I have a worry that Apple is branching away from computers and not updating their computer customers as much.

Jobs:

No. Not to worry.
”

http://www.9to5mac.com/jobs-10-7-mac-hardware-543850803

btkadams

LCfiner said:
No problem, RJ :p

So, Steve Jobs continues to do the work of Apple PR people for them by responding to another random person’s email about Mac OS X 10.7 development:

"A worried Canadian reader sent Jobs the following email to Steve Jobs:

I was wondering, is it true that the iPhone 4 is cutting into OSX development causing a delay, as a big Mac user, this is of huge concern to me. I just hope your balancing development and working as much as you can. Is OSX development still a huge priority? I have a worry that Apple is branching away from computers and not updating their computer customers as much.

Jobs:

No. Not to worry.
”

http://www.9to5mac.com/jobs-10-7-mac-hardware-543850803
what does this even mean? it's not like anyone thought 10.7 wasn't coming.

though it would be cool if OS XI came instead.

LCfiner

btkadams said:

there was post on Daring Fireball suggesting that 10.7 development had been delayed and we would see nothing of it at WWDC this summer, etc.

Jobs gets an email about it and says that nothing’s changed.

btkadams

LCfiner said:
there was post on Daring Fireball suggesting that 10.7 development had been delayed and we would see nothing of it at WWDC this summer, etc.

Jobs gets an email about it and says that nothing’s changed.
oh ok! i didnt know that

mrkgoo

btkadams said:

Or that people did. It has been sighted or something, and there was a recent news article claiming that 10.7 may be delayed until 2011 or that an announcement was going to be made at WWDC, but all held back due to iPhone OS 4.0.

I use both OS, so it's all the same to me, which one they update. Heck, 10.6 only came out like 7 months ago.

I'm actually thinking of taking the iMac + iPad route, but I'm most likely going to be doing a lot of traveling. This may sound incredibly stupid and people will probably make fun of me for this, but is the iMac hard to lug around? I was thinking that I could fit it in some thick ultra padded suitcase for my travels.

mrkgoo said:
Or that people did. It has been sighted or something, and there was a recent news article claiming that 10.7 may be delayed until 2011 or that an announcement was going to be made at WWDC, but all held back due to iPhone OS 4.0.

I use both OS, so it's all the same to me, which one they update. Heck, 10.6 only came out like 7 months ago.

People are hungry for another massive update I guess. Snow Leopard is rock solid but at the end of the day for the consumer it was merely an enhanced edition of an OS that came out in 2007. It makes sense for people to be anxious.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm actually thinking of taking the iMac + iPad route, but I'm most likely going to be doing a lot of traveling. This may sound incredibly stupid and people will probably make fun of me for this, but is the iMac hard to lug around? I was thinking that I could fit it in some thick ultra padded suitcase for my travels.
you're just crazy talking now. i already find the 15" MP a chore to take around, let alnoe a 20+ iMac that's heavier, deeper and more fragile.

scorcho said:
you're just crazy talking now. i already find the 15" MP a chore to take around, let alnoe a 20+ iMac that's heavier, deeper and more fragile.

I mean for flying, not lugging it around place to place. Like I'd just to pack the iMac in my main suitcase (along with my clothes and stuff) on flight trips. This will result in having me not pay a fortune to ship it around.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
You mind posting it for those who don't know?
System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Full Keyboard Access: Click on "All Controls" [located at bottom of preference pane].

Done. :D

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
I mean for flying, not lugging it around place to place. Like I'd just to pack the iMac in my main suitcase (along with my clothes and stuff) on flight trips. This will result in having me not pay a fortune to ship it around.

You're going to put a computer with a glass display into a suitcase for travelling? Dude, that's what laptops are really made for.

Mobius 1

Flying_Phoenix said:

There are carrying cases for the iMac.

http://www.ilugger.com/product/catalog.cfm?nid=1460&gclid=CO6NkqyNhaECFZVY2god0n1Buw

I knew a guy that used to travel to Europe a couple of times a year, and he carried his computer with him with no issues. I'd never carry the 27" behemoth, though. Not only it's incredibly heavy, but it wouldn't fit on overhead bins of aircraft.

Norante said:
So, whats the best solution to use a PS3 or Xbox with the 27" iMacs?

This.

Norante said:
There are carrying cases for the iMac.

http://www.ilugger.com/product/catalog.cfm?nid=1460&gclid=CO6NkqyNhaECFZVY2god0n1Buw

I knew a guy that used to travel to Europe a couple of times a year, and he carried his computer with him with no issues. I'd never carry the 27" behemoth, though. Not only it's incredibly heavy, but it wouldn't fit on overhead bins of aircraft.

Thanks. But yeah I'm not going to sink into the iMac's until the next refresh maybe. 27" is way too big for me.

mrkgoo said:
You're going to put a computer with a glass display into a suitcase for travelling? Dude, that's what laptops are really made for.

Well I'm going to be doing a fair share of traveling (I'm either going to be studying abroad or just move to a different country) and was wondering if there was an option besides getting an iMac shipped overseas (that would cost tons of money).

EDIT - Maybe I should say "screw it" with a new computer for 4 - 7 years until I get settled.

jts

...hate me...
A Magic Mouse along with a Macbook Pro: worth it?

Better yet, a Magic Mouse for Steam: worth it?

Get'sMad

jts said:

I would think the Magic Mouse would suck for Steam games. Just get like a Logitech or Microsoft bluetooth mouse.

btkadams

jts said:

i bought one and while its great, im not sure it would be right for gaming. id recommend getting a different mouse for playing games.

jts

...hate me...
Ok, MM good for MBP but bad for gaming. Got it. Thanks :D

Probably will go with a cheapo notebook small mouse for now.

Miau

Neo Member
jts said:
Ok, MM good for MBP but bad for gaming. Got it. Thanks :D

Probably will go with a cheapo notebook small mouse for now.

I just bought a Logitech M505 Wireless for 40€ on a Fnac store, it has a tiny receiver and it performs really well on my MBP (much better than the Bluetooth V470 "designed for Mac edition"). Good and comfortable (and precise IMO) for gaming sessions.

Can't wait for Steam OS X.

Maximus.

magic mouse would not work well for gaming. I have a deathadder razer mouse, just waiting for valve to release steam arggggh. I want a freaking UI change for OSX too, getting sick of the silly bars and all the silver :/

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
mrkgoo said:
I would think that the magic mouse for gaming would be a bad idea - can you even push two buttons at once?

The Mighty Mouse alone sucks enough dick. And the Magic Mouse is nearly fucking 50% smaller it seemed when I held it.

mrkgoo

Why is flash player not working in Safari? It says I have it installed, but when I go to youtube, it tells me to upgrade.

edit: hmmm False alarm? It's working now. But it was the second time I got that prompt.

Ashhong

Fraull said:
magic mouse would not work well for gaming. I have a deathadder razer mouse, just waiting for valve to release steam arggggh. I want a freaking UI change for OSX too, getting sick of the silly bars and all the silver :/

what silver? you should get in the beta, UI looks nice

edit: oh, talking about osx :lol

can't recommend the MX518 mouse enough. been using mine for about 5-6 years now and its working perfectly. i got a Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth mouse for gaming with my MBP, but its just too small and doesnt feel right. good for portability though i guess.

Ashhong

LCfiner said:
the result of this is that if you want to launch an application from the keyboard, use CMD-O.

i dont have my laptop on me right now but i could have sworn that when i attempted this, it merely opened the file??? didnt do the rename thing..maybe it was on PathFinder

Chris R

Call me a whiny bitch, but I'm sick and tired of only being able to resize windows from the lower right corner. Suggest a program to fix this (bonus points for it being free and super duper bonus points if it has copied Win7's snap feature aka one of the best things to come out of ANY OS in the past few years).

LCfiner

Ashhong said:
i dont have my laptop on me right now but i could have sworn that when i attempted this, it merely opened the file??? didnt do the rename thing..maybe it was on PathFinder

yeah, same thing. open the file if file is selected or launch an application if an app is selected. generic "open" command

rename is enter, open is CMD-O or CMD-up arrow.

pj

Banned
rhfb said:
Call me a whiny bitch, but I'm sick and tired of only being able to resize windows from the lower right corner. Suggest a program to fix this (bonus points for it being free and super duper bonus points if it has copied Win7's snap feature aka one of the best things to come out of ANY OS in the past few years).

http://blog.boastr.net/

Better touch tool has the snap feature and non-standard resizing. I don't believe it allows you to grab from any edge, but you can do something like ctrl + click then move mouse to resize. I also believe it's configurable, but I haven't played with it.

Ashhong

LCfiner said:
yeah, same thing. open the file if file is selected or launch an application if an app is selected. generic "open" command

rename is enter, open is CMD-O or CMD-up arrow.

oh no i meant that i pressed enter and it opened the file instead of rename. just tested it and it opened my file

pj said:
http://blog.boastr.net/

Better touch tool has the snap feature and non-standard resizing. I don't believe it allows you to grab from any edge, but you can do something like ctrl + click then move mouse to resize. I also believe it's configurable, but I haven't played with it.

it even has corner snap, which is convenient

Top Bottom