• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
Trailers are different beasts than full sized movies. Trailers can play fine on slower computers because there's a lot less detail and a lot less file than a full movie.

@Rubux Cube & Jasoco

Yeah it seems 1080p trailers are easier for the mac mini, but I've read conflicting reports about the ability. I just installed one at work (2.5Ghz) and I can test an .mkv there, but it's the upgraded processor version.

Immm, the mini is an easy option, but at the moment I feel to build a Windows based HTPC from scratch, 160GB HDD is killing me! Apple man.....

hirokazu

Jasoco said:
Trailers are different beasts than full sized movies. Trailers can play fine on slower computers because there's a lot less detail and a lot less file than a full movie.
What, apart from a larger file, that doesn't make any sense, unless the trailer is a lower bitrate than the full movie. From what I understand, length/file size shouldn't make much difference since only a part of the video is buffered at any one time and streamed of the drive when needed. It's not like the whole file is going to be buffered into memory.

hirokazu said:
What, apart from a larger file, that doesn't make any sense, unless the trailer is a lower bitrate than the full movie. From what I understand, length/file size shouldn't make much difference since only a part of the video is buffered at any one time and streamed of the drive when needed. It's not like the whole file is going to be buffered into memory.
I believe it's to do with the encoding of the container holding the h.264 & audio file...or summing:lol

Jasoco

Banned
I would love to find an Intel Mac mini used or refurbished for ~$400. It'd be just the thing to replace my G4 mini so I could actually watch stuff on it instead of just backup to it. Boxee, Plex, Hulu Desktop, Kylo (A Mozilla-based fullscreen web browser designed for viewing on TV) will all make my TV happy.

NJ Shlice

Jasoco said:
I would love to find an Intel Mac mini used or refurbished for ~$400. It'd be just the thing to replace my G4 mini so I could actually watch stuff on it instead of just backup to it. Boxee, Plex, Hulu Desktop, Kylo (A Mozilla-based fullscreen web browser designed for viewing on TV) will all make my TV happy.

I got my early 2009 mini off Amazon for $500 3 months ago. I've intel based ones on there for around $450.

jts

...hate me...
Mecha_Infantry said:
@Rubux Cube & Jasoco

Yeah it seems 1080p trailers are easier for the mac mini, but I've read conflicting reports about the ability. I just installed one at work (2.5Ghz) and I can test an .mkv there, but it's the upgraded processor version.

Immm, the mini is an easy option, but at the moment I feel to build a Windows based HTPC from scratch, 160GB HDD is killing me! Apple man.....
Open up, replace HDD.

It can't be that hard.

jts said:
Open up, replace HDD.

It can't be that hard.

Or just go external. They even make ones that look like the Mac Mini
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019C4OLY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
31IrnaM4MAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ok, I am a moron. (And I made a thread about part of this problem, the last part is a new problem)

I tried installing lots of different drivers to get a third party 360 controller working on OSX. Nothing worked. I used the one download that was the driver with a Terminal command, and it still didnt work.

So I have uninstalled the preference panes and whatnot associated with this, but now my mouse scrolling is FAST. I mean very fast, and I cannot control its speed. Even if I turn off scrolling in the mouse section of preferences it still works and moves fast.

Any ideas how to revert my settings back? Time machine only lets me go back for files, not revert to old settings. (That I can see).

hirokazu

PhoncipleBone said:
Ok, I am a moron. (And I made a thread about part of this problem, the last part is a new problem)

I tried installing lots of different drivers to get a third party 360 controller working on OSX. Nothing worked. I used the one download that was the driver with a Terminal command, and it still didnt work.

So I have uninstalled the preference panes and whatnot associated with this, but now my mouse scrolling is FAST. I mean very fast, and I cannot control its speed. Even if I turn off scrolling in the mouse section of preferences it still works and moves fast.

Any ideas how to revert my settings back? Time machine only lets me go back for files, not revert to old settings. (That I can see).
Did your mouse start going fast when you installed those drivers and/or preference panes, or after you uninstalled them?

Did the drivers requiring Terminal commands get uninstalled? You might want to restore the original files if it replaced any kexts or other original system files.

pj

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey guys

I'm wanting to guy a Mac Mini for my HTPC, but I am not sure if it's a good time to. I was looking at the Macrumours guide and they said it's mid-cycle which is worrying. The base processor is 2.26 with a 9400 graf card, which I hope can handle my 10-17GB .mkv bluray rips

Anyone else out there with a mac mini as their HTPC running 1080p? Also, is it a good time to get it right now? I only have 22GB left on my MBP too, so I would like to get it asap, or just wait and dump the files onto an external

My 2ghz mm can play 10gb+ br rips without any trouble. On those giant rips it will start to choke if it starts trying to unrar a download in the background, but it doesn't even do that on more modest HD rips.

hirokazu said:
Did your mouse start going fast when you installed those drivers and/or preference panes, or after you uninstalled them?

Did the drivers requiring Terminal commands get uninstalled? You might want to restore the original files if it replaced any kexts or other original system files.

I had USB Overdrive installed, then uninstalled it. It appears that set up some settings that kept things going really fast. I reinstalled it and fixed all preferences, then kicked it to the curb again, and now all is good.

bigswords

Hi was wondering anyone using any good putty like software for the mac?

I do understand that Terminal has ssh and stuff, but I need a small gui that remembers a list of ip address and the protocol type (like putty).

Jasoco

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
Is there a way to add a semi-transparent bg to the applications stack??
What do you mean? It already has a transparent one. If you mean an image, no because of how it works. It uses a solid RGBA color and a blur effect instead of an image. The borders are images though and can be changed, but not the background.

Does anybody know of a program that will let me rip my HD DVD movies to my Mac? I know of a few that will let me rip BluRays, but since I don't have a BluRay drive, I haven't tried any of them.

mrkgoo

Battlezone said:
Does anybody know of a program that will let me rip my HD DVD movies to my Mac? I know of a few that will let me rip BluRays, but since I don't have a BluRay drive, I haven't tried any of them.
But you have an HD DVD drive for your mac?

Jasoco

Banned
Battlezone said:
I've read that the XBox drive mounts on a Mac, but I've yet to try it. If I have to, I can do it through Windows, but I'd rather not.
It does. You can't play it, but it lets you browse the files.

Jasoco said:
What do you mean? It already has a transparent one. If you mean an image, no because of how it works. It uses a solid RGBA color and a blur effect instead of an image. The borders are images though and can be changed, but not the background.
Borders?

I want to add some sort of BG to this:

15nm34w.jpg

But I don't know if that's been explored yet. :/

Also, just installed Smart Scroll... it's pretty awesome [momentum scrolling]; however, I think the full price is like $18. No thanks! :lol

Ashhong

can i ask ipod questions in here? wasnt sure if i should put it in here or Windows thread.

i have an ipod video, 5th generation, and all of a sudden it wont go past the white apple loading screen. it was working fine up until today. i plugged it into my computer, computer recognized it and everything was ok. loaded itunes and suddenly itunes says it encountered a problem and needs to close. i keep reopening itunes but it just wont work. even tried reinstalling but for some reason itunes is completely broken. so i take out my ipod and since then i ahvent been able to load it.

is there a special way to reset it other than holding menu+select?

aw crap...i just put it into diagnostic mode...i hope i can get out of this without restoring it..

Jasoco

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
Borders?

I want to add some sort of BG to this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/15nm34w.jpg[IMG]

But I don't know if that's been explored yet. :/

Also, just installed Smart Scroll... it's pretty awesome [momentum scrolling]; however, I think the full price is like $18. No thanks! :lol[/QUOTE]
Good news! After some testing, the answer is "yes"!

Replace "stackbackground-c.png" with another image. Well, make sure it's the same name and image type of course.

"/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Resources/stackbackground-c.png"

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/35bwetd.jpg

Note: The background will be stretched or shrunk instead of scaled equally, and it won't merge with the border images so it stops abruptly. Nor does it scroll. It can seemingly be whatever size you want. Also, note the text has no shadow so light backgrounds will make it hard to read.

The image by default is a 1x1 pixel half-translucent PNG. Change the image size, put whatever you want in there and bam.

You'll have to edit the image outside, then SUDO copy it into the Dock.app's Resources folder. There's a lot of useful shit in there so have fun. Play around, but ALWAYS keep a backup of your Dock and leave the Terminal open in case you need to emergency restore it.

Jasoco said:
Good news! After some testing, the answer is "yes"!

Replace "stackbackground-c.png" with another image. Well, make sure it's the same name and image type of course.

"/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Resources/stackbackground-c.png"

35bwetd.jpg

Note: The background will be stretched or shrunk instead of scaled equally, and it won't merge with the border images so it stops abruptly. Nor does it scroll. It can seemingly be whatever size you want. Also, note the text has no shadow so light backgrounds will make it hard to read.

The image by default is a 1x1 pixel half-translucent PNG. Change the image size, put whatever you want in there and bam.

You'll have to edit the image outside, then SUDO copy it into the Dock.app's Resources folder. There's a lot of useful shit in there so have fun. Play around, but ALWAYS keep a backup of your Dock and leave the Terminal open in case you need to emergency restore it.
Are you on Leopard or Snow Leopard? I'm still on Leopard and I can't find it. :(

Jasoco

Banned
Snow Leopard. If stackbackground-c.png doesn't exist, then it's probably something they cooked up for SL. I remember trying to change it in Leopard and not being able to find a file that would work. Are you unable to upgrade to SL?

Jasoco said:
Snow Leopard. If stackbackground-c.png doesn't exist, then it's probably something they cooked up for SL. I remember trying to change it in Leopard and not being able to find a file that would work. Are you unable to upgrade to SL?
I think so, hah. That one $30 upgrade thing is available to all users who are running Leopard, right? I got my iMac in 2008... What would I need to be able to get the upgrade price?

Jasoco

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
I think so, hah. That one $30 upgrade thing is available to all users who are running Leopard, right? I got my iMac in 2008... What would I need to be able to get the upgrade price?
Nothing. Go into the store, tell them you have Leopard and want to upgrade to Snow Leopard. You don't need proof. Just ask for it.

Jasoco

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
Awesome. I'll be paying Best Buy a visit this weekend. :D Thanks!
Does Best Buy sell OS X? I'd probably trust an Apple store more to give you the $30 upgrade price. I wouldn't be surprised if BB sold it for $130.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
Does Best Buy sell OS X? I'd probably trust an Apple store more to give you the $30 upgrade price. I wouldn't be surprised if BB sold it for $130.

Sure it does. Technically speaking, the Snow Leopard disc is an upgrade disc for $29 - even though it works as a full disc, it's the same upgrade disc sold everywhere.

The "full" version only comes with the MacBox bundle with iWork and iLife. I don't think they even sell a Snow Leopard standalone that isn't the $29 upgrade.

J-Roderton

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Jroderton said:
Cool. I checked both of those out. I kinda don't know anything about this stuff. Is that the best cheapest way to go. And all I need is to back up my music and pics really.
what Mac do you own?

firewire 800 can be over 2x as fast as USB 2.0/firewire 400 (~80MB/s v ~30MB/s), which will make archiving much easier. firewire as a whole is also better than USB since the latter consumes a fair number of CPU cycles during read/write operations. firewire is much less processor-intensive.

if you don't mind USB you can get cheaper USB-only enclosures like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138

J-Roderton

scorcho said:
what Mac do you own?

firewire 800 can be over 2x as fast as USB 2.0/firewire 400 (~80MB/s v ~30MB/s), which will make archiving much easier. firewire as a whole is also better than USB since the latter consumes a fair number of CPU cycles during read/write operations. firewire is much less processor-intensive.

if you don't mind USB you can get cheaper USB-only enclosures like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138

I just have a 13 inch Macbook. One of the old white ones. And if I go with a USB one do I just plug it up whenever I want to update what's on it?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Being trying out OSX for a while. Somehow, while browsing some websites, the scrolling suddenly stops for a while, then reacts again. Am I doing something wrong? Because I scroll around some websites without problems (GAF, for example) and then in other websites, the browser locks for a while...

bernardobri said:
Being trying out OSX for a while. Somehow, while browsing some websites, the scrolling suddenly stops for a while, then reacts again. Am I doing something wrong? Because I scroll around some websites without problems (GAF, for example) and then in other websites, the browser locks for a while...
What browser are you using?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
bernardobri said:
FUUUU- I missed the most necessary part :lol

It's Safari 4.0.2

Are there gifs on the pages?

Are you using Snow Leopard?

Webkit, especially on Leopard and under, tends to choke on gifs.

Speaking of which, does Chrome in OS X have the same issue? I know Firefox does not.

Jroderton said:
How does that compare to a Time Capsule?
I'm wanting a Time capsule to back up stuff but I can't afford it.
I bought an iOmega 1TB USB drive a few months ago to use for Time Machine. Any external drive should work. I use the 1TB for Time Machine and have a 500GB hooked to my 360 with all the DVD rips I have done.

I have debated about Time Capsule just for the dual band router and a drive to be accessed remotely by the 360 when my computer is off. It will also add a USB port to put the printer on so my wife can access it. But the price is stopping me. I know if you price all the components together (Dual Band router, 1TB drive) it is cheaper, but the all in one design sounds nice.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
quadriplegicjon said:
Are there gifs on the pages?

Are you using Snow Leopard?

Webkit, especially on Leopard and under, tends to choke on gifs.

No, actually it's only a standard Invision forum. And I'm using Leopard. (10.5.8)

bigswords

Does anyone know how to connect to a windows Domain server using Mac OS 10.5?

I have the domain name but I'm not sure how to go about configuring it.

Top Bottom