• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
^ he needs to download that fan control app.

but first, I'd call Apple and tell them what's going on. that's NOT normal and should be addressed by them by way of repair or replacement.

slightly?

people at Macrumors are reporting 15-20F drops in temperatures and 20%-40% less CPU being used when watching flash video.

that's clearly more than a "slight" change.

I was running the latest 10.1 beta so it’s slightly improved from that. it’s a big jump from 10.0.

Man, I'm trying to keep my MBP as native as usual, but man Safari is annoying as hell.

2 things:

1) When I right click a link to open it in a new tab it highlights the link :(, how do I stop this?
2) When i double click and then Google, it opens Google in the current tab :(, how do I stop this?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mecha_Infantry said:
Man, I'm trying to keep my MBP as native as usual, but man Safari is annoying as hell.

2 things:

1) When I right click a link to open it in a new tab it highlights the link :(, how do I stop this?
2) When i double click and then Google, it opens Google in the current tab :(, how do I stop this?

1) CMD-Click like a real person. Why would the link being highlighted bother you, anyway?
2) I can't wrap my head around this one.

Mecha_Infantry said:

2 things:

CMD+Enter will open the Google search results into a new tab.

SnakeXs said:
1) CMD-Click like a real person. Why would the link being highlighted bother you, anyway?
2) I can't wrap my head around this one.

1) I only have one hand
2) Go to a page with words, double click a word then right click on it....search Google,observe Google search results opens in the current tab

ANd it annoys me because I open many tabs on a single page so I don't need to click around so much, so everytime I open a link, it highlights it, so I need to click on whitespace just to get the highlight off again. it's fucking annoying

SnakeXs

Mecha_Infantry said:
1) I only have one hand
2) Go to a page with words, double click a word then right click on it....search Google,observe Google search results opens in the current tab

That still doesn't answer the second half of 1.

And 2's been covered.

SnakeXs said:
That still doesn't answer the second half of 1.

And 2's been covered.

I edited to answer 1) again. Firefox isn't like that nor is Chrome, I might just resort back to those
How has 2 been covered? You don't understand or there is no answer?

SnakeXs

Mecha_Infantry said:
How has 2 been covered? You don't understand or there is no answer?

No, Battlezone answered it.

And you don't need to click off to blank space. You can right click another link just fine.

SnakeXs said:
No, Battlezone answered it.

And you don't need to click off to blank space. You can right click another link just fine.

You obviously don't understand

Maybe you should try it yourself before replying?

Again I only have one hand so CMD+Enter isn't a good option for me. I'll prob stick with FF and Chrome, shame really

SnakeXs

Mecha_Infantry said:
You obviously don't understand

Maybe you should try it yourself before replying?

Again I only have one hand so CMD+Enter isn't a good option for me. I'll prob stick with FF and Chrome, shame really

I'm trying it right now. Right clicked a thread, open in new tab, it opens, the thread title is highlighted, my very next click is right clicking the thread below it, and it opens up the sub menu and I click open in new tab again. No blank click needed.

SnakeXs said:
I'm trying it right now. Right clicked a thread, open in new tab, it opens, the thread title is highlighted, my very next click is right clicking the thread below it, and it opens up the sub menu and I click open in new tab again. No blank click needed.

I know it works like that! But when on a news website or when opening a new tab on a page I want to carry on reading I still need to blank click to get rid of the highlighted link

In otherwords, once the link is highlighted, how do you get rid of it???? Exactly, a blank click..

It's just an annoyance

SnakeXs

Mecha_Infantry said:
I know it works like that! But when on a news website or when opening a new tab on a page I want to carry on reading I still need to blank click to get rid of the highlighted link

In otherwords, once the link is highlighted, how do you get rid of it???? Exactly, a blank click..

It's just an annoyance

So there mere fact that a link is highlighted blue bothers you that much?

Wow.

mrkgoo

I cmd+click stuff with one hand all the time. It works for right click and google, and it also works for opening new tabs from links.

Cmd+click - you learn to use it as naturally as anything else.

Dunno about your highlighting fixation. I think they only thing that can help you with that is a psychologist.

SnakeXs

Ashhong said:
yes sir! its the only way i connect my 360 online.

works like a charm

Yeah I was having trouble with setting the IP addresses. Main thing I did wrong was not have the third set be .2, it was all .1, but I got it working. Mwahahahahaha.

Ashhong

SnakeXs said:
Yeah I was having trouble with setting the IP addresses. Main thing I did wrong was not have the third set be .2, it was all .1, but I got it working. Mwahahahahaha.

aw, i thought i could help mac owners for once :'(

its awesome aint it? and the battery barely discharges while playing, my 13" pro lasts forever

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
thewesker said:
Just FYI fellas, Steam for Mac got dated for May 12th today.

God dammit. I was hoping for a little Friday surprise. Oh well... I can wait... but I will have my Steam.

mrkgoo said:
I cmd+click stuff with one hand all the time. It works for right click and google, and it also works for opening new tabs from links.

Cmd+click - you learn to use it as naturally as anything else.

Dunno about your highlighting fixation. I think they only thing that can help you with that is a psychologist.

32527-gif1.jpg

I don't have one hand, I'm lying...I'm just lazy :(

mrkgoo

Mecha_Infantry said:
I don't have one hand, I'm lying...I'm just lazy :(

I never thought you had one hand. I was just saying that cmd+click has become second nature to me. Some say it's a 'short-coming' of the mac having to press a modifier key to do stuff, but once you get used to it, it really is just sub-conscious. I use cmd+click, opt+click, shift+click, right click etc. It's all just as easy. Ctrl+click is a little more difficult (only being on one side of the keyboard - yes, I know you can configure).

One of my biggest beefs was trying to fn+f8-f11 once Apple put itunes keys there, but multi-touch gestures changed my need for those.

Do the people who use the Magic Mouse use a mouse pad? Can someone recommend me a good CHEAP mouse pad because I haven't been using one since I got my iMac a month ago and I just noticed the damage not using a mouse pad has done. Starting to fade the color off this piece of shit IKEA desk.

edgefusion

My MacBook Pro has been running weirdly slow lately can anyone help me figure out what's up with it? It beach balls almost constantly on the most common of tasks and apps take much longer to load than they used to. I've tried all the regular 'fixes' like running pretty much everything Onyx can do short of actually reinstalling Snow Leopard (which I don't want to as my disks are in Cornwall and I'm in London, 300 miles apart).

Here are my Geekbench results if those are of any help:
2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb ram.
geek.png

notworksafe

aparisi2274 said:
So here is something I have been trying to figure out since I switched over to mac. When I work in windows, I can highlight several files and then just hit the delete key and it will put it in the trash, but when I do it on my mac, nothing happens, and I have to drag the files to the trash myself, or right click and hit move to trash.

Is there anyway to just hit the delete key and send it to the trash??
Command + Delete is what I use.

Jasoco

Banned
edgefusion said:
My MacBook Pro has been running weirdly slow lately can anyone help me figure out what's up with it? It beach balls almost constantly on the most common of tasks and apps take much longer to load than they used to. I've tried all the regular 'fixes' like running pretty much everything Onyx can do short of actually reinstalling Snow Leopard (which I don't want to as my disks are in Cornwall and I'm in London, 300 miles apart).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/edgefusion/geek.png[img][/QUOTE]
Try posting a list of things running in Activity Monitor. Those specs look fine. I have a 2.4 with 4GB RAM and also get a 3400~ on GeekBench. But nothing feels slow to me. In fact it feels much faster than my 2.0GHz with 2GB MacBook with integrated Intel graphics.

Hopefully it's not what I first think of when I hear unexplained freezes. Dying HD. Probably not though. Shame you can't get to your disc.

edgefusion

Here's my activity monitor - nothing unusual that I can tell. I really really hope it's not a HDD problem because I have rather outgrown my backup disk.

activ.png

EDIT: Now that I look at it, those red spikes don't look very friendly do they? :(

pj

Banned
Change "my processes" to "all processes" in that dropdown box, sort by CPU usage

That graph is misleading. A peak of 92KB/s is basically nothing.

upandaway

Can anyone explain to me how I change an icon? I've looked at guides and they tell me to drag the new icon to the Get Info icon of the file I want to change.

If I download an ICO file from the internet, and do that, the file I want to change now has the icon of a square with ICO written on it, instead of the actual icon.

v Thanks, that worked.

upandaway said:
Can anyone explain to me how I change an icon? I've looked at guides and they tell me to drag the new icon to the Get Info icon of the file I want to change.

If I download an ICO file from the internet, and do that, the file I want to change now has the icon of a square with ICO written on it, instead of the actual icon.
Download Transparent PNGs or ICNS files. Open them (in preview). Click on the image (don't need to "select" anything) and hit cmd+c. Get Info on the file you want to change. Click on the icon of that file (upper left corner of newly opened get info box). Hit cmd+v. Done.

mrkgoo

edgefusion said:

geek.png

Have you considered a failing hard drive, or a filling up hard drive?

Also, I believe that the hard drive is becoming a bottleneck in today's systems. I upgraded my hard drive to a 640GB and while every benchmark bar one is better (random writes), it's enough to make me lose performance if I need to page the HD.

So just got my first ever mac, i have a printer hooked up to my win 7 pro dekstop, but my mac cant find it, nor can it see the win 7 machine. I can see the macbook though on my win 7 machine. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit:

Ok i got the printer connected and the mac can see all windows computer, but now my winodws 7 computer cant see my mac. Ugh!

Ashhong

good luck with that. setting up mac/windows network is a huge pain in the ass in my experience. i cant make my mac automatically see my w7, i have to manually "go to server". nor can i even see any printers, it sucks.

Over the last few weeks, my Powerbook G4 doesn't connect to the internet automatically anymore. I have to keep selecting my wireless router and put in the WEP. 'Remember this' is always ticked and I have 'ask to join new networks', un-ticked.

Because of this, I get the time/date is before 2001 error (as it is synched with apple.com)

Any Ideas?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
bucknuticus said:
Ok i got the printer connected and the mac can see all windows computer, but now my winodws 7 computer cant see my mac. Ugh!
make sure you enable smb sharing on the Mac.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
bucknuticus said:
So just got my first ever mac, i have a printer hooked up to my win 7 pro dekstop, but my mac cant find it, nor can it see the win 7 machine. I can see the macbook though on my win 7 machine. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit:

Have you done all the security updates? I believe there were some issues in snow leopard early on.

Xun

My friend accidently overwrote his Mac with Vista, how can he restore Mac OS?

He's obviously lost all of his stuff. But I'm wondering how he'd restore his Mac to the factory settings?

He's tried putting the install disc in, but no luck.

Edit: Sorted.

Xun

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Did he just set up Boot Camp and not know how to get back?
I honestly don't know.

I'll be seeing him tomorrow to try and sort it all out, he's still having a few issues since the main HDD is no longer Mac formated.

Chao

If you are a Plex user as I am, check out the new update they released on their website. CPU usage is way lighter now.

LCfiner said:
far right on tab bar.

or double click empty space in tab bar
Much appreciated but I would prefer a solution that didn't require a second tab to be open already.

Nevermind, found the solution. View --> Show Tab Bar. That or you can Customize the Toolbar and add in the button. Sweet!

Thanks!

Oyashiro

Hey guys, does anyone know of a good to-do app? I'm looking for something that is:
-simple
-minimalistic
-easy to add tasks
-preferably shows a small list of the items, not some huge intricate window with times, dates, calendars and all that crazy shit

Really, I just need something that will tell me what I have to do on a certain day. Doesn't have to have times or anything like that. It can be a paid app, just as long as its under 20 bucks.

Btw, I've tried Things, but I want something more simple than that. Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom