• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

jts

...hate me...
This is probably very noob, but...

I just dragged the Mac HD icon in finder to the desktop, hoping to create a shortcut. It just deleted it. How do I revert this now?

mrkgoo

jts said:
This is probably very noob, but...

I just dragged the Mac HD icon in finder to the desktop, hoping to create a shortcut. It just deleted it. How do I revert this now?
I can tell you kind of want to use it like windows...

Chances are the thing you were trying to drag from the finder was already a shortcut, hence it removing it when it left. You can drag the Macintosh HD from withing a finder window (not the sidebar or anything) back to where you lost it to recreate it. Teheran desktop itself has a preference to show the Macintosh HD. Either right click on the desktop or its in the finder preferences or system preferences.

LCfiner

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Gifs are killing it. Upgrade to Snow Leopard.

upgrading to snow leopard is worth it for a bunch of reasons but I would also point out that using Firefox or Camino on 10.5 won't choke on gifs.

Jasoco

Banned
LCfiner said:
upgrading to snow leopard is worth it for a bunch of reasons but I would also point out that using Firefox or Camino on 10.5 won't choke on gifs.
I hate to agree with this since I love Chrome, but yes, WebKit has a horrible problem with GIF's. I also get the freezing problem when a huge GIF is just off screen and I try to scroll down to or past it. It will sit there for a few seconds unresponsive (Though thanks to Chrome's threading I can still close the tab or switch tabs) while it loads the GIF into the screen buffer then jumps down. It's horrible. I love Chrome though so I will ride it out, but god dammit, why is it taking so fucking long for the WebKit people to fix it? It's open-source. Will WebKit2 fix it I hope?

I'd say GIF's are the only bad thing about WebKit. Fortunately I only encounter them on NeoGAF.

pj

Banned
GodfatherX said:
anyone using XBMC on mac os x? how does it compare to Plex?

Plex is based on XBMC, but I think plex on mac is better since it's tailored to the platform.

For example, plex just released a beta of h264 hardware acceleration, here.

I tested it out and my CPU utilization (2ghz c2d mini) on a 1080p video went from 75-80% to 35-40%. Apple apparently made the API available only a few days ago, so there's probably room for even more improvement.

jts

...hate me...
mrkgoo said:
I can tell you kind of want to use it like windows...

Chances are the thing you were trying to drag from the finder was already a shortcut, hence it removing it when it left. You can drag the Macintosh HD from withing a finder window (not the sidebar or anything) back to where you lost it to recreate it. Teheran desktop itself has a preference to show the Macintosh HD. Either right click on the desktop or its in the finder preferences or system preferences.
Thanks. All done now. :D

The learning curve is really kicking in.

Now, this is more of a... um... usability question?

Should I use iPhoto for funny pics and stuff or should I just put those in regular folders and stick iPhoto to... photos?

LCfiner

I don't think there's a single right answer to that but I keep iphoto for photos and just dump funny Internet pics into the photo folder (with some spotlight tags to help me find them)

jts

...hate me...
LCfiner said:
I don't think there's a single right answer to that but I keep iphoto for photos and just dump funny Internet pics into the photo folder (with some spotlight tags to help me find them)
Thanks. And spotlight tags... that sounds delicious.

I think I'll go with something along those lines :D

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
jts said:
Thanks. And spotlight tags... that sounds delicious.

I think I'll go with something along those lines :D
I view all my non-GIF images by using preview (pressing space on an image file) and scrolling through. Much simpler than using iPhoto.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't trust Spotlight tags because they aren't attached to the file, so if you move it the tags are erased. Just like a files "downloaded from" tag. They are stored in .DS_store and are erased when the file is moved. I don't get why they can't make it part of the files metadata like their label color or last opened date.

LCfiner

Jasoco said:
I don't trust Spotlight tags because they aren't attached to the file, so if you move it the tags are erased. Just like a files "downloaded from" tag. They are stored in .DS_store and are erased when the file is moved. I don't get why they can't make it part of the files metadata like their label color or last opened date.

I was generalizing when talking about spotlight. I actually use tagit, which adds metadata to files, for tagging multiple items in OS X.

http://www.ironicsoftware.com/tagit/index.html

jts

...hate me...
So I'm trying to select a bunch of pictures to drag them, but shift-select only works in list view, not icon view. What's up with that?

jts

...hate me...
PhoncipleBone said:
Command+click
Works the same as shift+click on icon view for me. Just adds that one file to the selection.

What I'm trying to do is select a bunch of files by clicking on the first one and then on the last one (along with a modifier key). It should auto-select all files between them.

LCfiner

jts said:
Works the same as shift+click on icon view for me. Just adds that one file to the selection.

What I'm trying to do is select a bunch of files by clicking on the first one and then on the last one (along with a modifier key). It should auto-select all files between them.

Icon view can suck for that stuff. either drag a window around all your items in icon view (or use CMD-A and then deselect what you don't want with the CMD key held down) or use list/coverflow/column view to use the shift modifier key.

MDJCM

fireside said:
Has anyone gushed about Smart Scroll yet? It adds momentum scrolling to pretty much everything and it's awesome. Probably old news but it's the first thing in a long time to make me smile while browsing the web on my computer.

Smart! Thanks for the link

EDIT: LOL, $19, yeah, realistic pricing :lol

dream said:
ctrl-Get Info should do it.

Thanks!

jts

...hate me...
LCfiner said:
Icon view can suck for that stuff. either drag a window around all your items in icon view (or use CMD-A and then deselect what you don't want with the CMD key held down) or use list/coverflow/column view to use the shift modifier key.
:/ sucks, but no biggie.

Thanks!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
btkadams said:
iStat 3

so it's a paid app now? only 10 bucks. do you think it's worth buying or sticking with version 2?
stick with version 2 unless you're interested in controlling fan speeds through the app.

MDJCM

Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey guys

I'm wanting to guy a Mac Mini for my HTPC, but I am not sure if it's a good time to. I was looking at the Macrumours guide and they said it's mid-cycle which is worrying. The base processor is 2.26 with a 9400 graf card, which I hope can handle my 10-17GB .mkv bluray rips

Anyone else out there with a mac mini as their HTPC running 1080p? Also, is it a good time to get it right now? I only have 22GB left on my MBP too, so I would like to get it asap, or just wait and dump the files onto an external

GodfatherX said:
anyone using XBMC on mac os x? how does it compare to Plex?

I'm running XBMC on Mac OSX on a 2.26 MBP, really impressed, its very snappy and looks absolutely beautiful on the MBP's screen. Apple Remote works great with it too.

So i bought a 1.83 Mac Mini to run it on, but its not quite the same yet, i think its because 720P plasmas have such an awkward resolution, getting tons of overscan and it doesnt work the same. Totally tempted to upgrade to a 1080p LCD for pixel perfect image. I think this MM will handle 1080p just fine

MCX

Banned
Hey guys, is Snow Leopard worth the upgrade from Leopard? I've had the upgrade disc since the OS launched but haven't installed it onto my MBP yet. I was waiting for the initial kinks to get worked out.

Also, what's the best music creation software for Mac? Any help's much appreciated.

LCfiner

MCX said:
Hey guys, is Snow Leopard worth the upgrade from Leopard? I've had the upgrade disc since the OS launched but haven't installed it onto my MBP yet. I was waiting for the initial kinks to get worked out.

Also, what's the best music creation software for Mac? Any help's much appreciated.

Re: 10.6. I think so, yes. lots of back end changes to help future development plus some nice user facing bonuses like system wide typo correction, Dock expose and MS exchange support.

pulga

Banned
Not really an OSX question, but I'm having troubles with the trackpad (2008 White Macbook). Actually, I've got a problem with the area left of my trackpad, where my hand rests. If I apply a certain amount of pressure, the Mac recognizes it as if I'm left-clicking. Wtf gives?

Maximus.

Hey guys quick question, a few months ago i bought the official razer deathadder mouse for the mac. This was before razer made drivers for all of their mice to be compatible with Macs. Anyways, whenever I use my trackpad, the custom setting I created always revert back to the default setting. Anyone know how to keep them to the custom settings or do I just have to change them all the time?

LCfiner

heads up. Adobe just released a preview called “Gala” of Flash player 10.1 that takes advantage of hardware decoding of h.264 on the GPU for the new Macbook pro GPUs and any 9400m GPU.

Now, I have a Core i5 iMac with a 4850 and I noticed a slight decrease in CPU usage coming from the last 10.1 flash beta to this version. probably just because of other optimizations in the build. so it might be worth it for Mac users to try this out even if you don’t have a 9400m, g320 or g330 GPU

a video on giantbomb went from 25-30 percent Flash player CPU age to 19-25% after upgrading to the new version.

There should be bigger differences on hardware that Adobe is supporting with this release

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
LCfiner said:
heads up. Adobe just released a preview called “Gala” of Flash player 10.1 that takes advantage of hardware decoding of h.264 on the GPU for the new Macbook pro GPUs and any 9400m GPU.

Now, I have a Core i5 iMac with a 4850 and I noticed a slight decrease in CPU usage coming from the last 10.1 flash beta to this version. probably just because of other optimizations in the build. so it might be worth it for Mac users to try this out even if you don’t have a 9400m, g320 or g330 GPU

a video on giantbomb went from 25-30 percent Flash player CPU age to 19-25% after upgrading to the new version.

There should be bigger differences on hardware that Adobe is supporting with this release

8600Ms don't get the kick in the pants, right?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i'm not sure who to blame for the ATI parts getting the heave-ho with core acceleration - Apple or ATI.

regardless it's damn frustrating, and doesn't give me hope to see how the OGL drivers fare when Steam is released.

LCfiner

scorcho said:
i'm not sure who to blame for the ATI parts getting the heave-ho with core acceleration - Apple or ATI.

regardless it's damn frustrating, and doesn't give me hope to see how the OGL drivers fare when Steam is released.

it’s not just ATI. let’s say you have a Macbook Pro with a 9600 chip. wanna use flash GPU acceleration? better reboot in 9400m GPU mode. the 9600 isn’t supported.

it’s VERY limited right now

btkadams

MCX said:
logic is made by apple, and is very good. macs are perfect for pretty much any music software. if you're just starting i recommend checking out garageband which is on every mac. it is surprisingly deep. once you've got the basics down from that, you could move anywhere. i suggest you go on wikipedia and search up these programs:

Propellerhead Reason
Ableton Live 8
Logic pro (i believe that's the proper name?)
Cubase 5

if you're doing electronic music, i personally recommend ableton live 8. i use it and i love it.

Ashhong

trying out flash 10.1 on my 9400m right now. cpu usage seems to be down on average, but it does fluctuate up once in a while. been watching a flash video for a good minute or 2 and my fans havent even kicked up, so thats new.

average cpu usage is around 35%. more importantly, the video actually seems to be playing smoother. no stuttering

VNZ

Ashhong said:
trying out flash 10.1 on my 9400m right now. cpu usage seems to be down on average, but it does fluctuate up once in a while. been watching a flash video for a good minute or 2 and my fans havent even kicked up, so thats new.

average cpu usage is around 35%. more importantly, the video actually seems to be playing smoother. no stuttering
I tried it real quickly with some random Youtube videos, and I don't see any "small white square appear in the upper left corner" as mentioned in the releasenotes.

Ah, crap, I just realized that my old MBP has the 8400M chip, not the 9400M... Oh well.

Ashhong

VNZ said:
I tried it real quickly with some random Youtube videos, and I don't see any "small white square appear in the upper left corner" as mentioned in the releasenotes.

Ah, crap, I just realized that my old MBP has the 8400M chip, not the 9400M... Oh well.

i didnt even see that in the release notes. a small white square? in the beginning of the video i assume? let me check...

i see nothing..

edit: lulz, apparently i wasnt even using Gala :lol excuse my stupidity, but i swear my vids were running better. placebo effect i guess. at least now i will have something to compare it to.

okay, i see it now. the white box is kind of annoying, but cpu usage down to 20-25%! niiiiice

Oyashiro

Hey guys! So yesterday I received a hand-me-down MacBook from my sister's girlfriend. It's in really good condition, she just had the battery replaced and there's pretty much nothing wrong it afaik. I've never had a Mac before, and I've never used OSX for more than like 10 mins, so this is definitely an awesome learning experience.

Anyway, i was just wondering... since I'm really new to this, I honestly don't know which apps I should get. Is there some sort of "Official GAF list of apps to get"? :D Or some recommendations in general would be nice. If it's been asked before, please link me to the thread or whatever. I searched around and found one, but it was pretty old and it was focused on video software. Thanks!

jts

...hate me...
After 3 days of Mac usage, still can't decide between Safari and Chrome.

I love Chrome and it has been excellent so far on the Mac (I had the dev channel version on Windows which became very crappy lately).

Bookmark sync with Google account, top tabs, skins, a superior por... I mean, incognito mode IMO, etc. Very lovely.

Safari is also not bad and the integration with the iPhone is a strong plus. I have a few issues with it though, no direct click to open a second tab as far as I can see, no favicons on the bookmark bar, low contrast UI, etc..

LCfiner

jts said:

I love Chrome and it has been excellent so far on the Mac (I had the dev channel version on Windows which became very crappy lately).

Bookmark sync with Google account, top tabs, skins, a superior por... I mean, incognito mode IMO, etc. Very lovely.

Safari is also not bad and the integration with the iPhone is a strong plus. I have a few issues with it though, no direct click to open a second tab as far as I can see, no favicons on the bookmark bar, low contrast UI, etc..

download Glims for Safari to customize it with the things you ask for.

I use it just for "type ahead" search.

mrkgoo

Oyashiro said:
Hey guys! So yesterday I received a hand-me-down MacBook from my sister's girlfriend. It's in really good condition, she just had the battery replaced and there's pretty much nothing wrong it afaik. I've never had a Mac before, and I've never used OSX for more than like 10 mins, so this is definitely an awesome learning experience.

Anyway, i was just wondering... since I'm really new to this, I honestly don't know which apps I should get. Is there some sort of "Official GAF list of apps to get"? :D Or some recommendations in general would be nice. If it's been asked before, please link me to the thread or whatever. I searched around and found one, but it was pretty old and it was focused on video software. Thanks!

Most simply, the default apple apps to a great job for most of the basic tasks you'll need. If you have something you have in mind, you'll need to ask for the job you need done. So ethnic I like is to not just randomly install apps that others think I need and just keep to bare minimum.

There's an app for everything pretty much, but you'll want to state what you're looking for.

jts said:

You can middle click to open a link in a new tab, double-click the empty space on the tab bar, or click the plus to open a homepage in a new tab.

I always thought the favicons in the tab bar were a little messy, but I've grown with safari - that's probably just me being used to safari. I'm not a fan of too many options (probably why I like macs) and will typically use my stuff as simple as possible.

Oyashiro said:

What do you want to do? It makes no sense to just rattle off a list of things. What do you want your computer to do for you?

Jasoco

Banned
LCfiner said:
I was generalizing when talking about spotlight. I actually use tagit, which adds metadata to files, for tagging multiple items in OS X.

http://www.ironicsoftware.com/tagit/index.html
Hey, that looks cool! I'll check it out! Thanks!

btkadams said:
iStat 3

so it's a paid app now? only 10 bucks. do you think it's worth buying or sticking with version 2?
Where can you find version 2 now? I don't use stat menus enough to warrant paying for it. I'm using it right now and it's nice, but if I'm gonna need stats that I will be checking occasionally, I'll just keep the Pro DashBoard Widget running and hit Fn+F4 occasionally. To be honest, I don't even care for having clutter up there. I keep minimal apps up there and any that have an option to not show the icon, I'll turn it off. PTHPasteBoard, FaceBook Notifications, Bonjour Mounter and DragThing are all I keep aside from Airport and Battery. And they're all black. (Bonjour has a custom icon I made myself. And FaceBook only turns blue when I get notifications. And if I could, I'd hide DragThing's icon.)

pulga said:
Not really an OSX question, but I'm having troubles with the trackpad (2008 White Macbook). Actually, I've got a problem with the area left of my trackpad, where my hand rests. If I apply a certain amount of pressure, the Mac recognizes it as if I'm left-clicking. Wtf gives?
Yes. This is a known problem with white older MacBook's before the Unibody update. They suck. Mine exhibited that problem (The entire palmrest became a button) as well as the cracks all along the edges, overheating due to poor insulation, yellowing of the screen, the list goes on. Thankfully I just got my new Pro last week. Never again will I have those problems. If it's still in warranty (AppleCare?) take it in. Tell them about it. Tell them you're not the only one with that problem. Tell them to fix that sonofabitch. Even though it'll probably happen again eventually.

VNZ said:
New Flash Player beta with hardware H.264 decoding. Haven't tried it yet, but good job Adobe!
I'd try it, but I hate going through the trouble of uninstalling just to get back to the older version when the beta version inevitably sucks for me. I'll wait until a more stable build leaves the gate. Glad to see they're finally trying. That's all Steve wanted. For Adobe to actually give a shit. Instead of half-assing it all the time. I still wish video sites would switch to HTML5, but I'd settle for a non-sucky Flash.

btkadams

is my macbook pro going to die if i keep running it around 82 degrees (CPU)??? its what it is whenever im running ableton....which is a lot.

Jasoco

Banned
btkadams said:
is my macbook pro going to die if i keep running it around 82 degrees (CPU)??? its what it is whenever im running ableton....which is a lot.
Long exposure to high heat (I assume that's Celcius?) can eventually cause processor rot. But by that time I'd guess it'd be time for a new machine. Just get AppleCare.

btkadams

Jasoco said:
Long exposure to high heat (I assume that's Celcius?) can eventually cause processor rot. But by that time I'd guess it'd be time for a new machine. Just get AppleCare.
yeah its celcius. so i guess about 176 F. new machine? geez i hope thats about 1.5 to 2 years away. cant afford a new comp yet.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
btkadams said:
yeah its celcius. so i guess about 176 F. new machine? geez i hope thats about 1.5 to 2 years away. cant afford a new comp yet.
You could try to apply additional cooling. Experiment with a fan, for example. Locate the hottest spot you can feel on the body of your machine, then point a strong fan at it. Might reduce the temperature quite a bit if you're in luck.

^ he needs to download that fan control app.

but first, I'd call Apple and tell them what's going on. that's NOT normal and should be addressed by them by way of repair or replacement.

LCfiner said:
that’s right. just a slightly more optimized build.
slightly?

people at Macrumors are reporting 15-20F drops in temperatures and 20%-40% less CPU being used when watching flash video.

that's clearly more than a "slight" change.

Ashhong

a cooling pad, belkin to be exact, really helped keep my unibody macbook pro cool. sure it doesnt have as much effect as on a normal windows laptop with the fans on the bottom, but it still helped to keep the enclosure cool and really made a difference

Top Bottom