• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Oyashiro said:
Hey guys, does anyone know of a good to-do app? I'm looking for something that is:
-simple
-minimalistic
-easy to add tasks
-preferably shows a small list of the items, not some huge intricate window with times, dates, calendars and all that crazy shit

Really, I just need something that will tell me what I have to do on a certain day. Doesn't have to have times or anything like that. It can be a paid app, just as long as its under 20 bucks.

Btw, I've tried Things, but I want something more simple than that. Thanks in advance!
TaskMate sounds perfect for you.

so i just noticed in iphoto that there is a facebook icon, im assuming i can upload any photo directly from iphoto to my fb account...byt i cant seem to find where to go to set this up

GodfatherX said:
so i just noticed in iphoto that there is a facebook icon, im assuming i can upload any photo directly from iphoto to my fb account...byt i cant seem to find where to go to set this up
Maybe try clicking the Facebook icon?

btkadams

GodfatherX said:
file > export.

MDJCM

GodfatherX said:

Yep, you can give iPhoto your facebook details and then you've got the feature to upload any album, photo or selection of photos directly to facebook. Its pretty neat. It'll also update those albums if you edit them on iPhoto.

I have an old black macbook with no media control keys among the f-buttons (only volume up and down). Is there any way to configure hotkeys for play/pause and skip track for itunes?

LCfiner

Kong Fisso said:
I have an old black macbook with no media control keys among the f-buttons (only volume up and down). Is there any way to configure hotkeys for play/pause and skip track for itunes?

use keyboard preferences to set shortcuts for specific applications. assign play, pause, from itunes to the Fx keys you like.

LCfiner said:
use keyboard preferences to set shortcuts for specific applications. assign play, pause, from itunes to the Fx keys you like.
I have a hard time getting this to work.
System preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > program shortcuts. Made one with itunes, called pause and mapped it to f8 but nothing happens

LCfiner

Kong Fisso said:
I have a hard time getting this to work.
System preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > program shortcuts. Made one with itunes, called pause and mapped it to f8 but nothing happens

s29kk3.jpg

Is this enabled? make sure it is and you can use the Function keys for what you want (but you can't change screen brightness or volume unless you hold down the function key)

edit. fixed.

LCfiner said:
mac_keyboard_adobe_1.jpg

Is this enabled? make sure it is and you can use the Function keys for what you want (but you can't change screen brightness or volume unless you hold down the function key)
I can't see the image - host doesn't allow hotlinking, i guess.

LCfiner

Kong Fisso said:
I can't see the image - host doesn't allow hotlinking, i guess.

fixed the image. it's the option to use keyboard function keys as normal keys or for hardware features. make sure it's checked.

Question for Mac Firefox users. What's the hotkey for switching between tabs? I thought it was command and left or right arrow but that goes backwards and forwards in one tab's history. I read something that said I have to have one tab 'focused' but I don't know what that means. Thanks in advance.

Chris R

Neuromancer said:
Question for Mac Firefox users. What's the hotkey for switching between tabs? I thought it was command and left or right arrow but that goes backwards and forwards in one tab's history. I read something that said I have to have one tab 'focused' but I don't know what that means. Thanks in advance.
Ctrl+Tab

chumps

Alternatively you can set up firefox to use additional gestures (3 finger swipe and so on) for things like next/prev tab without using 3d party gesture software. Type about:config in the location bar and search for gesture.

somnific

Neuromancer said:

cmd + option + arrow keys, or ctrl + tab.

edgefusion

Following on from an earlier post about my laptop performing slowly, I've figured that it's most likely due to the drive failing so I'm looking to get a new one before this one totally craps out and I'm up shit creek without a paddle. Will this hard drive work in my MacBook Pro? And what are caches? Is a bigger one better or what? My current MBP has a 5200rpm hard drive so I was considering going up to 7200rpm, is it actually worth it? I know it'll cause a decrease in battery performance but that's not such a big deal to me as I'm plugged in most of the time.

stupei

I used an app at an old job once and I can't remember the name. It operates like spotlight but you can force it to include external drives in the search as well. At my current job we have a lot of the Macs hooked up to a server and would be helpful to be able to search all server partitions at once.

Anyone heard of it or know of something similar?

LCfiner

stupei said:
I used an app at an old job once and I can't remember the name. It operates like spotlight but you can force it to include external drives in the search as well. At my current job we have a lot of the Macs hooked up to a server and would be helpful to be able to search all server partitions at once.

Anyone heard of it or know of something similar?

pretty sure that spotlight in 10.5 was updated to include external drives.

nevertheless, the only spotlight frontend that I've heard of is Houdahspot. maybe that will help you out.

stupei

LCfiner said:
pretty sure that spotlight in 10.5 was updated to include external drives.

nevertheless, the only spotlight frontend that I've heard of is Houdahspot. maybe that will help you out.

I think you're right about the update to spotlight working with regular external drives, but something about the way our server loads onto the desktop it functions a lot like a regular external but doesn't show up with spotlight.

Drives me crazy that I can't remember the name of this application -- wasn't actually something that functioned through spotlight, but a separate app that was somewhat similar -- but I'll definitely look into Houdahspot, thanks.

I asked this in the other thread but it seems that that one's dead and buried now. I'm curious to as of why Apple hasn't added the option of SSD for their iMac's. I do a lot of music producing and a SSD would work WONDERS.

I know that nobody on here works for Apple so they don't know for sure, but I'm just curious if anyone knows why Apple hasn't adopted a SSD option for their iMac line?

luoapp

Flying_Phoenix said:
I asked this in the other thread but it seems that that one's dead and buried now. I'm curious to as of why Apple hasn't added the option of SSD for their iMac's. I do a lot of music producing and a SSD would work WONDERS.

I know that nobody on here works for Apple so they don't know for sure, but I'm just curious if anyone knows why Apple hasn't adopted a SSD option for their iMac line?

Why don't you just do it yourself?

random question: I noticed that some of the text at certain web destinations (like GMail) has a really weird text issue going on where links are involved. Like everything is soft and bolded.

is there a reason for that? can it be disabled?

LCfiner

luoapp said:

you wanna lift up an enormous plane of glass off your computer with suction cups to install a new drive?

and then put it all back together with no dust getting in there? you’re a braver man than I.

luoapp said:

Wouldn't that make the warranty expire? Even then so I've heard that opening up through an iMac is very tricky, especially to not have anything get in between the screens.

LCfiner said:
you wanna lift up an enormous plane of glass off your computer with suction cups to install a new drive?

and then put it all back together with no dust getting in there? you’re a braver man than I.

Exactly. Being honest I'd probably have the balls to do it, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing it

at all.

I'm just wondering why Apple hasn't offered it as an option at least, like in their Macbook Pro line.

Dreams-Visions said:
random question: I noticed that some of the text at certain web destinations (like GMail) has a really weird text issue going on where links are involved. Like everything is soft and bolded.

is there a reason for that? can it be disabled?

I've never noticed anything with Gmail being different on a Mac than on a PC.

Maybe it's your web browser?

luoapp

I thought Flying_Phoenix was talking about MBP, my bad. But even replacing the one in iMac doesn't look like that hard. I found some instruction manuals on apple's web site. And since it's user-serviceable part, it doesn't void your warranty (as long as you don't break anything else doing that.), but call apple first to confirm, just to be safe.

Gaf, I can't transfer a 5gb file from my Mac to my ipod to get it portable.

Is there some kind of file size limit ?

How to get over it ?

I tried to compress it but going from 5.6gb to 5.2 is neat, but not enough.

mrkgoo

UnluckyKate said:
Gaf, I can't transfer a 5gb file from my Mac to my ipod to get it portable.

Is there some kind of file size limit ?

How to get over it ?

I tried to compress it but going from 5.6gb to 5.2 is neat, but not enough.

How much space do you have left?

Flying_Phoenix said:
I've never noticed anything with Gmail being different on a Mac than on a PC.

Maybe it's your web browser?
I was looking at GMail in an Apple Store on a 17" MBP. the links were bolded and noticably different from anything I had seen before. Different from the iPhone/iPad too.

edgefusion said:
Following on from an earlier post about my laptop performing slowly, I've figured that it's most likely due to the drive failing so I'm looking to get a new one before this one totally craps out and I'm up shit creek without a paddle. Will this hard drive work in my MacBook Pro? And what are caches? Is a bigger one better or what? My current MBP has a 5200rpm hard drive so I was considering going up to 7200rpm, is it actually worth it? I know it'll cause a decrease in battery performance but that's not such a big deal to me as I'm plugged in most of the time.

If space isn't a huge concern, I'd just go with an Intel X25 SSD. Not only is it a huge performance boost, it is also quieter, less power consuming, and more reliable than a HDD.

But If you need to go HDD in a Macbook, I'd stick with 5400rpm. I don't think there would be much of a performance boost with 7200rpm, but I bet it would be louder.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Alright for some reason iTunes has started placing my iPhone apps in 2 different folders. Is there an easy way to get it to combine the two?

Ashhong

edgefusion said:

i have the same drive. the WD black is actually not much worse in battery performance than the Blue series, which is only 5400. the problem i have with the black is that it is considerably louder than my friends identical laptop with 500gb Blue. it also vibrates a hell of a lot more. if they were the same price, i would go for the 500gb blue. black was cheaper for me so i went with that.

the 500gb Blue has great speed as well, comparable to the black. make sure you either get 320gb Black or 500gb Blue. anything lower in the blue is slower

edit: to follow up on Prestige's post above, there is a performance boost from the stock harddrive at least. i decided to upgrade my HDD instead of ram because i was sick of the rainbows, and it really did improve.

edgefusion

Ashhong said:
i have the same drive. the WD black is actually not much worse in battery performance than the Blue series, which is only 5400. the problem i have with the black is that it is considerably louder than my friends identical laptop with 500gb Blue. it also vibrates a hell of a lot more. if they were the same price, i would go for the 500gb blue. black was cheaper for me so i went with that.

the 500gb Blue has great speed as well, comparable to the black. make sure you either get 320gb Black or 500gb Blue. anything lower in the blue is slower

edit: to follow up on Prestige's post above, there is a performance boost from the stock harddrive at least. i decided to upgrade my HDD instead of ram because i was sick of the rainbows, and it really did improve.

What's the difference between blue and black? The noise concerns me, I really like having a silent laptop. Is the noise that noticeable? Thanks for your help.

Ashhong

edgefusion said:
What's the difference between blue and black? The noise concerns me, I really like having a silent laptop. Is the noise that noticeable? Thanks for your help.

Black is their 7200rpm, performance line. Blue is 5400rpm, with better speed than their Green line, but not as great as the black. If you need a silent laptop, I absolutely recommend staying away from Black. It's not LOUD, but it is very noticeable. I use mine while lying down in bed, and it can be a bit annoying. If you are in a public setting when you use it though you might not notice it. Even the Blue is a little noticeable, but not by much.

Which MBP do you have? Blue sounds like the fans are on one setting higher than the silent one, whereas Black may be 1-2 more above that. Either way, Black isnt silent. Hope that helps

fireside

edgefusion said:
I replaced my stock HD with a a 500 GB Scorpio Blue; the noise isn't any more noticeable for me on my MacBook, and since it's only 5400 RPM the fans aren't as likely to kick up as with a 7200 RPM drive. Of course a faster drive and a bigger cache is better but I can't really complain, the one I bought was cheaper and is fast enough for me.

Hey people, when I use Safari, during some sessions when I press "cmd" + "z" to undo some text, instead of undoing the text, it resurrects the last tab I closed.

Does anybody else have this glitch?

EDIT - Nvm was a problem with Glims.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
Alright for some reason iTunes has started placing my iPhone apps in 2 different folders. Is there an easy way to get it to combine the two?

What two folders?

At any rate, my recommendations is to stop caring where it puts them, so long as it works.

SnakeXs

mrkgoo said:
What two folders?

At any rate, my recommendations is to stop caring where it puts them, so long as it works.

One is on my network drive/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications

The other is in in iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications.

The latter has copies (App.ips and App 2.ipa) of many apps. ._.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
One is on my network drive/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications

The other is in in iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications.

The latter has copies (App.ips and App 2.ipa) of many apps. ._.

Huh, odd. I don't have an itunes Media folder (I operate on all default - but I think new libraries made use media now?). Probably has something to do with creating new network mapped drives and stuff. Does your itunes actually link to both libraries?

SnakeXs

mrkgoo said:
Huh, odd. I don't have an itunes Media folder (I operate on all default - but I think new libraries made use media now?). Probably has something to do with creating new network mapped drives and stuff. Does your itunes actually link to both libraries?

Yeah. CMD-Ring apps in iTunes will open up both folders. And yeah, my old network drive died a while back and I had to create a new library. I just dunno why it chose to create a second one on my MBP's hard drive.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
Yeah. CMD-Ring apps in iTunes will open up both folders. And yeah, my old network drive died a while back and I had to create a new library. I just dunno why it chose to create a second one on my MBP's hard drive.

Possibly at some point it got confused and made a second library. Maybe do a google for consolidating itunes library.

Something like this (I haven't read it, but it may give you some ideas):
http://www.macworld.com/article/46248/2005/08/shiftitunes.html

SnakeXs

mrkgoo said:
Possibly at some point it got confused and made a second library. Maybe do a google for consolidating itunes library.

Something like this (I haven't read it, but it may give you some ideas):
http://www.macworld.com/article/46248/2005/08/shiftitunes.html

The thing with library consolidation is it a) copies everything which could make things even worse, and b) I believe wants to do so to my profile's iTunes folder, and you can't make it choose another place, ie my network drive where I WANT all this stuff.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
The thing with library consolidation is it a) copies everything which could make things even worse, and b) I believe wants to do so to my profile's iTunes folder, and you can't make it choose another place, ie my network drive where I WANT all this stuff.

It copies things from places that AREN'T in the library and makes it one. THEN perhaps you can move that entire library to your network drive as one. Maybe it's overkill, but it might solve your issue.

Obviously, backup your system before you attempt.

I wouldn't worry about it making copies - you can delete the source once you've confirmed they're safely consolidated. Any risk/benefit is up to you to decide, of course.

Oyashiro

What's a good book for someone new to OSX to get? My friend recommended one called "Mac OSX Snow Leopard - The Missing Manual" to me. Is that a good one? Should I go for something else? Thanks!

LCfiner

Oyashiro said:
What's a good book for someone new to OSX to get? My friend recommended one called "Mac OSX Snow Leopard - The Missing Manual" to me. Is that a good one? Should I go for something else? Thanks!

first go here:

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

lots of useful info for first time users. covers the OS and the main bundled apps.

the missing manual books have a good reputation. but I would only spend the cash if I couldn’t get the basics online for free.

jts

...hate me...
VLC for Mac.

I find it really cool, but not without its flaws.

For example, when I add a folder to the library, it only acknowledges the video files and not the subtitle .srt files. But if I add the files directly, then the subtitles get on the library as well.

Also, is it possible to automatically set a media folder to be its library? I keep a folder on the desktop for that, it's a "temporary" folder excluded on Time Machine, just for my media necessities on the go. I can't find any option regarding that.

Another gripe with it is that I can set different types of fonts for the subtitles but it seems to be completely indifferent to any bold/italic/size/color settings, it always shows the same.

Is there a program like EasyFind that I can just pin to the top taskbar (is that what it's called)?

I really like EasyFind but it can't pin to the taskbar to replace Spotlight and I absolutely can't stand using Spotlight to search for things.

EDIT - In short I'm looking for a good Spotlight replacement.

Top Bottom