• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

edgefusion

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is there a program like EasyFind that I can just pin to the top taskbar (is that what it's called)?

I really like EasyFind but it can't pin to the taskbar to replace Spotlight and I absolutely can't stand using Spotlight to search for things.

EDIT - In short I'm looking for a good Spotlight replacement.

It's called the Menubar and you can try Quicksilver.

fireside

Mecha_Infantry said:
Mind Blown: Hold OPTION & SHIFT to tight control volume adjustments

Probably old news but wow. Learning new things about OS X even after a year!!
This is the sort of thing Jobs should be demoing instead of browsing webpages, opening Mail and saying "Boom".

celebi23

Mecha_Infantry said:

ScannersExplodingHead.gif

Holy shit! I've been using Mac OS X since 2001 & I never knew you could do that :lol Thanks for the tip! :D

onesvenus

Mecha_Infantry said:

How does this work?
I've got a macbook pro and I can't find any difference. I'm pressing Cmd + Shift + the volume buttons (F11 and F12) and it works as usual.

jts

...hate me...
onesvenus said:
How does this work?
I've got a macbook pro and I can't find any difference. I'm pressing Cmd + Shift + the volume buttons (F11 and F12) and it works as usual.
Not cmd but option (alt).

alt+shift+volume buttons.

Very neat :D

Mecha_Infantry said:

:lol wow, never noticed that before. Interesting find :D

Spriig

Banned
I have a MacBook and im looking into hooking it upto my hdtv so i can watch movies on here on the TV. TV has hdmi, dvi and vga ports. What cables do i need?

rezuth

Spriig said:
I have a MacBook and im looking into hooking it upto my hdtv so i can watch movies on here on the TV. TV has hdmi, dvi and vga ports. What cables do i need?
Which MacBook have you got?

Spriig

Banned
Which MacBook have you got?
Um not entirely sure. Its the black one.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB

jts

...hate me...
Spriig said:
Um not entirely sure. Its the black one.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
I think you need a mini-DVI to DVI cable for picture, and for sound a 3,5mm male jack to either 3,5mm male jack or male stereo RCA plugs, whichever your TV uses for audio input.

just picked up my first ever SSD (160GB) for my future MBP.

am excited. just looking to wait until the back-to-school sales start up in June before buying. Selling that free included iPod will reduce my overall MBP costs by at least a couple hundred $. I can put that towards a 4GB ram stick or use it to bump my specs from i5 to i7.

A Mac annoyance hopefully someone has an answer for: If I change from my primary wireless network (which is WEP secured) to an unsecured network, and then back to the original network, I get prompted for my WEP key. This is my primary network; the key is saved in my network preferences. If I turn wireless off and then on again, the network is selected and logs in without me being prompted for my key. Why does it prompt me for a key if I switch between networks?

mrkgoo

thechristoph said:
A Mac annoyance hopefully someone has an answer for: If I change from my primary wireless network (which is WEP secured) to an unsecured network, and then back to the original network, I get prompted for my WEP key. This is my primary network; the key is saved in my network preferences. If I turn wireless off and then on again, the network is selected and logs in without me being prompted for my key. Why does it prompt me for a key if I switch between networks?

Hmm. This actually details exactly the problem I've been having (university wireless is unsecured, but requires logon), and home requires WEP. I always attributed it to just being whacky wifi. I changed to WPA and it seems much better.

Chao

In the last few days my unibody MBP is having this issue: when i close the lid at night and go to sleep, the next morning the laptop won't wake up when I open it, so I have to turn it off and on again.
Did this happen to anyone else?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mecha_Infantry said:

Where has this tip been all my life? I've always found the volume on Macs rather loud so I'm usually left with about two bars of control. A much better work around then the super quiet mode that requires decreasing the volume to zero and then pressing mute.

Does updating Geektool retain your settings?

Chao said:
In the last few days my unibody MBP is having this issue: when i close the lid at night and go to sleep, the next morning the laptop won't wake up when I open it, so I have to turn it off and on again.
Well my unibody MB did suffer from that when I was using Windows 7, but the problem seems to have fixed itself, whether from an update or the problem diagnosis when I rebooted. Never had the problem in OS X though.

Scopitone

Neo Member
Couple questions!

-Any way to manually update the graphics drivers on the aluminum Macbooks Nvidia's 9400M? Or do we just have to wait for the official updates from Apple?

-I've heard you can update the RAM on the aluminum Macbooks to 8gig. Anyone tried that yet?

Scopitone said:
Couple questions!

-Any way to manually update the graphics drivers on the aluminum Macbooks Nvidia's 9400M? Or do we just have to wait for the official updates from Apple?

-I've heard you can update the RAM on the aluminum Macbooks to 8gig. Anyone tried that yet?
1. No.

2. Depends on the Macbook.

Ashhong

Dreams-Visions said:
just picked up my first ever SSD (160GB) for my future MBP.

am excited. just looking to wait until the back-to-school sales start up in June before buying. Selling that free included iPod will reduce my overall MBP costs by at least a couple hundred $. I can put that towards a 4GB ram stick or use it to bump my specs from i5 to i7.

All MBP come with 4gb ram IIRC thank god.

mrkgoo

Chao said:

Are you sure it's actually still asleep? sometimes the screen doesn't turn back on, so you have to try and wake it up again by pushing a key. Perhaps the hinge switch is faulty? What happens if you just close it to go to sleep, and then open it immediately?

Chao

BGBW said:
Well my unibody MB did suffer from that when I was using Windows 7, but the problem seems to have fixed itself, whether from an update or the problem diagnosis when I rebooted. Never had the problem in OS X though.

mrkgoo said:
Are you sure it's actually still asleep? sometimes the screen doesn't turn back on, so you have to try and wake it up again by pushing a key. Perhaps the hinge switch is faulty? What happens if you just close it to go to sleep, and then open it immediately?

If I close it aand open immediatly, I can use it normally. This morning I squinted and I could see the icons on my desktop, but with no lights. Clicked and pressed everything and nothing happened. I used exposé to check if anything moved at all, but nothing changed so I guess it was just a frozen desktop with no lights on.

jts

...hate me...
If you have an iMac, sure.

If you have a fairly recent Macbook, no. The trackpad is awesome for all the OS gestures (better than the MM), so just get a more versatile mouse. A Logitech or a Microsoft one.

mrkgoo

Chao said:
If I close it aand open immediatly, I can use it normally. This morning I squinted and I could see the icons on my desktop, but with no lights. Clicked and pressed everything and nothing happened. I used exposé to check if anything moved at all, but nothing changed so I guess it was just a frozen desktop with no lights on.

It may not be a frozen desktop - could be a combination of backlight not switching on and keyboard not waking up.

I occasionally have things such as my keyboard and trackpad not functioning.

koam said:
Magic Mouse: yay or nay? I have $50 store credit and want a mouse.

Nay. Get a really good mouse and use USBOVERDRIVE to get it working if no mac drivers are available. I have been using a MX518 for years. Best mouse I have ever used.

edgefusion

cooljeanius said:
I tried this and didn't really get the point of it... everything I need to find is either in my Dock already, or can be found easily with Spotlight, or even just by using Finder regularly.

The guy I was replying to specifically didn't want to use Spotlight. I'm with you though, I used Quicksilver pre-spotlight but there's just no need anymore.

mehdi_san

Chao said:
It always happens to me when I unplug my iPhone from the MBP while it's in sleep mode. The screen won't turn on and I have to reboot it. Now, I learned to always unplug my iPhone before putting the MBP to sleep :lol

movie_club

is there a way to unpartition my hdd? I was planning on installing windows 7, but now do not want to but I already partitioned the drive. Is there anything I can do about this?

Ashhong

movie_club said:
is there a way to unpartition my hdd? I was planning on installing windows 7, but now do not want to but I already partitioned the drive. Is there anything I can do about this?

you mean you partitioned it using the Boot Camp Assistant? If you just open the Assistant again you can select "remove partition"

chumps

I've been trying out Aperture as a photo library but I have a problem. I shoot jpg+raw and I've always put raw files in a separate directory (stems from old windows habits) like so:

Jpgs: /photos/date/file.jpg
Raw: /photos/date/raw/file.raw

How can I move all those raw files together with the jpgs? Aperture needs it that way to pair them as jpeg+raw pairs. I have hundreds of folders so I need something automated.

Automator comes to mind but the program confuses me.

Thanks.

pj

Banned
That's a pretty specific task, so I doubt there is a program that does it. I'd wager that automator can do it. Read some tutorials and play around for a bit and you'll get the hang of it.

Karud

koam said:
Magic Mouse: yay or nay? I have $50 store credit and want a mouse.

If you use it on a desktop machine, or a Macbook on a stand, buy this mouse!
At first it was really awkward, but now I don't want another mouse for office applications.
Much much much much much better than the previous mighty mouse.
Make shure to grab Better Touch Tool or MagicPrefs, to customize the settings.

@ OPTION+SHIFT+VOLUME/BRIGHTNESS

Nice, did not know that either.

Kal

How do I keep a window on top in Mac OS X? I'm watching a video (Mplayer) and I want it to stay in front while I work on other stuff. Is this possible? Thanks....

Jasoco

Banned
I never was able to get Afloat to work for anything. I know WindowShades by Unsanity can do it, or could back in the day (Does it still work) but it's an APE and a lot of people have issues against them. I used it a lot. But haven't in forever so I just lost interest in ever needing anything on top except Movist which does it by itself.

Edit: Oh, hey. I just discovered this new Snow Leopard only setting for Dock Stacks called "New List View". In normal "list" view, you get a normal menu of icons, but the new list view is like a hybrid of grid style (Where you can dig down) and list view. Instead of cascading menus, it's a folder set to list view.

2m5f2af.jpg

You can enable it by using the awesome "Secrets" preference panel. DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
http://secrets.blacktree.com/

Which brings up an annoyance I hate about Stacks, the "Open in Finder" icon is always at the bottom of the list. Why can't it be at the top? So you can click it to open the folder without having to scroll? Makes no sense. The perfect position for it would be top right, you know, like how the back button is top left, just put that icon top right, Apple! Would make a hell of a lot more sense.

* And if you're wondering about my stack view, I made the new graphics myself. Got rid of that ugly white border and made them recessed. Same with my Dock.

Hey people, I have a question about registering wireless connections. In my house I get two wireless signals, one in my house and one from my neighbors. Unfortunately many times when I open up my Macbook Pro to connect to a wireless networks it connects my (much slower) neighbors wireless connection instead of my own. Is there a way that I can just flatout block my neighbors wireless so my Macbook would stop reading it or set my Mac to only connect to my houses wireless?

Also is there a way to have the dock transfer to my LCD when I hook my computer up to it? In short have the dock appear both on my Mac and my external display (no I don't mean mirroring)?

Karud said:
@ OPTION+SHIFT+VOLUME/BRIGHTNESS

Nice, did not know that either.

HOLY SHIT! :O

Does anybody else have issues with the screen squeaking as you open and close your Mac? Mine started doing that today and the last time that happened it resulted in a screw that was too loose that made my touchpad crap on me...

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Hey people, I have a question about registering wireless connections. In my house I get two wireless signals, one in my house and one from my neighbors. Unfortunately many times when I open up my Macbook Pro to connect to a wireless networks it connects my (much slower) neighbors wireless connection instead of my own. Is there a way that I can just flatout block my neighbors wireless so my Macbook would stop reading it or set my Mac to only connect to my houses wireless?

Also is there a way to have the dock transfer to my LCD when I hook my computer up to it? In short have the dock appear both on my Mac and my external display (no I don't mean mirroring)?

HOLY SHIT! :O
Dude, just give your own wireless connection a different name and remove your neighbour's from your known connections.

mrkgoo said:
Dude, just give your own wireless connection a different name and remove your neighbour's from your known connections.

That did the job. Thanks mrkgoo. :D

I feel a bit embarrassed with how obvious that was though. :(

Holy shit at the volume and brightness fine control! Awesome stuff.

I too would like a complete list of all the lil cool shortcuts and keyboard tweaks that are out there.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Know what's awesome?

Waking up with a 2.2 Ghz old school Santa Rosa MBP, and going to bed with a new i5 MBP.

Know what's awesome? Not paying a dime for it.

Thank you, Applecare. :D

Top Bottom