• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

PhoncipleBone said:
Holy shit at the volume and brightness fine control! Awesome stuff.

I too would like a complete list of all the lil cool shortcuts and keyboard tweaks that are out there.

Here you go!

Press "Shift + Volume Buttons" for another kind of mind blower.

Oh and I just found another.

EDIT - HOLY SHIT at "cmd" + "ctrl" + "D"! :O

EDIT 2 - "ctrl" + "eject" - Are you kidding me!? How did I NOT know this!?

EDIT 3 - "cmd" + "`" I can switch through windows that way?

Well apple replaced my lcd I complained about. While they were at it, they also replaced the entire case and the keyboard. My Mac basically looks brand new. So while it isn't new, it look like the day I bought it.

Should help the resale value a lot I believe.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
mrkgoo said:
Needs to be coded in cocoa.

Chrome is carbon? o_O

Also, way late and I apologize, but your advise with my crazy iTunes library worked like a charm. Dunno how I forgot to pay my dues to you, good sir, but I did. Please forgive me. ;) Everything's fine now.

Ashhong

SnakeXs said:
Know what's awesome?

Waking up with a 2.2 Ghz old school Santa Rosa MBP, and going to bed with a new i5 MBP.

Know what's awesome? Not paying a dime for it.

Thank you, Applecare. :D

please describe the circumstances behind this

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so MacGAF, I don't have a lot of experience with Apple's policies, despite being a lifetime user. I think the screen on my MBP has some water damage; there's this weird residue behind the screen. If I were to take it into the Apple store and drop it off, would they clean the glass/replace the screen, and would that likely be covered under AppleCare/warranty, or would I have to pay?

SnakeXs

Ashhong said:
please describe the circumstances behind this

Well it's nearly 3 years old, and I had a few issues. The GPU (which was pretty much recalled), the logic board died once a long time ago, the backlight died, and twice the battery went awol. Perfectly fine, and then it would plummet to 25-30% health and not carry a charge.

Last time I got the battery replaced and I inquired about an exchange they said if it happens again that'll prove it's the machine and not the batteries, so to ask then.

Well the battery went again, and I called Applecare. Got on the phone with a 2nd level tech who was awesome, and told him the story, and he said he'd ask, but no promises. He came back and voila, he offered me the low end 15", which is closest to what I had.

He set it up with the 5th Ave Apple store, I did one complete Time Machine backup and away I went. Now I get a year of Applecare again, and can buy 2 more years too. <3 Apple

Sadly I couldn't get a matte screen, which is irking me. They said if I paid the extra 400 for the 2200 dollar i7 they'd throw in the matte for free, but I couldn't pull that. Maybe I can in a week or so and they'll honor that offer, but all things considered I'm not complaining.

SnakeXs said:
Well it's nearly 3 years old, and I had a few issues. The GPU (which was pretty much recalled), the logic board died once a long time ago, the backlight died, and twice the battery went awol. Perfectly fine, and then it would plummet to 25-30% health and not carry a charge.

Last time I got the battery replaced and I inquired about an exchange they said if it happens again that'll prove it's the machine and not the batteries, so to ask then.

Well the battery went again, and I called Applecare. Got on the phone with a 2nd level tech who was awesome, and told him the story, and he said he'd ask, but no promises. He came back and voila, he offered me the low end 15", which is closest to what I had.

He set it up with the 5th Ave Apple store, I did one complete Time Machine backup and away I went. Now I get a year of Applecare again, and can buy 2 more years too. <3 Apple

Sadly I couldn't get a matte screen, which is irking me. They said if I paid the extra 400 for the 2200 dollar i7 they'd throw in the matte for free, but I couldn't pull that. Maybe I can in a week or so and they'll honor that offer, but all things considered I'm not complaining.
glad to hear some companies still take care of their customers.

I had a similar situation with Sony, though I'd say they may have actually done me one better than Apple did you. I had maybe 4 or 5 repairs on my 18.4" Sony Vaio (glorious computer, to die for glorious display which produced 137% of the Adobe RGB spec). after the last time I sent it to repair, they offered me a *full* refund. not partial. not a Sony in-store credit. the *full* purchase price, including the tax. amounted to about $2,700, which Sony couldn't have been happy about. the machine was 10 months old and didn't have big problems in and of itself, but their repair teams kept breaking something after fixing something else.

of all the computer companies I've encountered to date, never have I seen a full refund given 10 months after purchase. a replacement, maybe. or a credit of some kind to only be used at their online/local store. or even just another repair. Sony went all the way...and though they won't get me to spend that money on another Vaio (screen quality isn't there anymore in the form factor I want), I would certainly considering being a customer again. I doubt Dell, Apple, HP or anyone else would have offered a refund that long after purchase on a computer they probably could have tried repairing again.

good hardware is always nice...but sometimes problems will happen. And really, all these components are bought from the same manufacturers, so in many ways, hardware quality is a wash (unless you're buying a workstation-class machine). it's nice to know a manufacturer has your back when problems arise. so to me...Apple, Dell and Sony all deserve top marks for their post-sale support and service. I don't feel compelled to buy from anyone else. Ever.

Ashhong

SnakeXs said:

That is awesome. I hope I my machine goes to shit in 2 years so that I can upgrade as well :lol Kind of lame that they wouldnt just basically give you "store credit" and let you upgrade as you see fit. Does it come up on your receipt as a warranty exchange? Maybe you can take it as an exchange and change it out! =D

mrkgoo

I have an old early 2008 MBP.

It has always been a dream to be able to swap it out for a new one on warrant, but you have to be one of the privileged few to be fortunate enough.

At the weekend, I actually went to an Apple Store and looked at the new MBP with anti-glare hi-res display. :( I want.

That said, it seems to be quite different. I think there's a mic in the screen next to the iSight camera. Obviously, they don't put a mic in the screen for the glass MBP, so where is it on the regular glossy?

I'll admit, the grey bezel actually looked pretty smart.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
Chrome is carbon? o_O

Also, way late and I apologize, but your advise with my crazy iTunes library worked like a charm. Dunno how I forgot to pay my dues to you, good sir, but I did. Please forgive me. ;) Everything's fine now.

No problem. It was just an educated guess that it would help - did you just consolidate, then move?

Just had to fix a weird issue with my fiance's mac which had decided to create a duplicate Pictures folder, somehow removing links to the original and linking to the new folder, but turning the older folder into a 'package'.

I don't know why, but I kind of enjoy doing minor IT jobs on computers, but get frustrated when I see the state some people leave their computers in.

Oh, and I'm not sure about Chrome being carbon or cocoa, but I understood the built-in dictionary was a cocoa api or something.

Ashhong

mrkgoo said:
I have an old early 2008 MBP.

It has always been a dream to be able to swap it out for a new one on warrant, but you have to be one of the privileged few to be fortunate enough.

At the weekend, I actually went to an Apple Store and looked at the new MBP with anti-glare hi-res display. :( I want.

That said, it seems to be quite different. I think there's a mic in the screen next to the iSight camera. Obviously, they don't put a mic in the screen for the glass MBP, so where is it on the regular glossy?

I'll admit, the grey bezel actually looked pretty smart.

are you saying the mic on the matte screen is near the isight? or is that on your current mb?

on the glossy screens the mic is on the bottom half, near the hinge, on the other side of the power button. i would imagine its in the same spot on the matte versions

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
are you saying the mic on the matte screen is near the isight? or is that on your current mb?

on the glossy screens the mic is on the bottom half, near the hinge, on the other side of the power button. i would imagine its in the same spot on the matte versions

On the new unibody MBP, there's a little grill to the left of the isight camera that looks like a speaker/mic grill. It's not the green light, as that's to the right of it (I checked with photo booth).

Ashhong

mrkgoo said:
On the new unibody MBP, there's a little grill to the left of the isight camera that looks like a speaker/mic grill. It's not the green light, as that's to the right of it (I checked with photo booth).

on my 2009 unibody theres a circle to the left of the camera but it doesnt look like a grille or anything. i assumed it was the light sensor

Futureman

So my friend has a Macbook with OS X 10.4.

I have Snow Leopard and tried to install it on his machine. I get an error saying that the computer does not have enough RAM. I'm given two options: Boot from Time Machine back up disk (which we don't have) or to restart the computer.

When I restart, it boots right back into the installation process, and I'm stuck with the two options again. I've tried hitting the eject button at pretty much any chance, but the DVD never comes out.

What are my options here?

dkeane

Futureman said:
So my friend has a Macbook with OS X 10.4.

I have Snow Leopard and tried to install it on his machine. I get an error saying that the computer does not have enough RAM. I'm given two options: Boot from Time Machine back up disk (which we don't have) or to restart the computer.

When I restart, it boots right back into the installation process, and I'm stuck with the two options again. I've tried hitting the eject button at pretty much any chance, but the DVD never comes out.

What are my options here?
Should be a little hole to put a pin in to eject the disk - then hit the restart button?

Futureman

dkeane said:
Should be a little hole to put a pin in to eject the disk - then hit the restart button?
Never mind. It wasn't just a Time Machine boot disk, I also could chose the internal HD as a boot disk.

So what's the best place to get RAM? 512MB isn't enough for Snow Leopard. What's the minimum... 1GB?

Dreams-Visions said:
good hardware is always nice...but sometimes problems will happen. And really, all these components are bought from the same manufacturers, so in many ways, hardware quality is a wash (unless you're buying a workstation-class machine). it's nice to know a manufacturer has your back when problems arise. so to me...Apple, Dell and Sony all deserve top marks for their post-sale support and service. I don't feel compelled to buy from anyone else. Ever.

Sounds great. My Macbook Pro is acting a tiny bit sketchy so I'm taking it to the Apple store tomorrow. It's been nearly a year so my warranty is almost expired, so I decided to call Apple and schedule an appointment for tomorrow.

I'm planning on them fixing the screen problem up and selling this thing so I can invest in a 27" i7 iMac! :D God that computers perfect!

Can't believe it's been a YEAR since I brought my first Mac.

But yeah I just remembered something, Dreams-Vision, did you use to post in Gamespot, specifically the "System Wars" section?

Futureman said:
Never mind. It wasn't just a Time Machine boot disk, I also could chose the internal HD as a boot disk.

So what's the best place to get RAM? 512MB isn't enough for Snow Leopard. What's the minimum... 1GB?
I upgraded my macbook from Tiger and it also had 512 mb (wtf Apple?). Do get at least 2 gb, it won't cost you much more anyway.

Ashhong

Flying_Phoenix said:
Sounds great. My Macbook Pro is acting a tiny bit sketchy so I'm taking it to the Apple store tomorrow. It's been nearly a year so my warranty is almost expired, so I decided to call Apple and schedule an appointment for tomorrow.

I'm planning on them fixing the screen problem up and selling this thing so I can invest in a 27" i7 iMac! :D God that computers perfect!

Can't believe it's been a YEAR since I brought my first Mac.

i think i still remember the thread where you got your first mac. it was after the MBP update last summer right? i recommend getting an apple extended warranty from ebay. it costs a fraction of the price instore and really increases the value of the computer when you sell it. im going to sell my 13" MBP around summer but still plan to get the warranty. should be profitable in the end.

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
on my 2009 unibody theres a circle to the left of the camera but it doesnt look like a grille or anything. i assumed it was the light sensor

Oh, I guess it could be the light sensor. Makes more sense. Get it? :lol :(

Ashhong said:
i think i still remember the thread where you got your first mac. it was after the MBP update last summer right?

Yep.

Ashhong said:
i recommend getting an apple extended warranty from ebay. it costs a fraction of the price instore and really increases the value of the computer when you sell it. im going to sell my 13" MBP around summer but still plan to get the warranty. should be profitable in the end.

Holy shit! Just went to Ebay. Thanks for the advice. Can't believe I didn't think of that!

Chao

Flying_Phoenix said:
Holy shit! Just went to Ebay. Thanks for the advice. Can't believe I didn't think of that!
Be careful with those, I've read many times that eBay applecare won't work. I mean, you can activate them and everything, but if your machine dies and you really need to use the Applecare, they will check the number and they will tell you to gtfo because you didn't get a proper code.

Dkong

Is there any known way to get any OSX compatible browser to work with websites only IE handles well? At the moment I am unable to process my salary information because I don't have access to a windows machine.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dkong said:
Is there any known way to get any OSX compatible browser to work with websites only IE handles well? At the moment I am unable to process my salary information because I don't have access to a windows machine.
You could give the IETab add-on for Firefox a go and see how that works.

LCfiner

RubxQub said:
You could give the IETab add-on for Firefox a go and see how that works.

I don't think that would work on OS X as there's no IE executable to run inside the FF tab.

however, running IE on OS X can be done via Crossover (Wine) or running a virtual machine like virtualbox or parallels.

I think the Wine solution is best in this case as you don't have to buy Windows to get IE running.

Miggytronz

LCfiner said:
I don't think that would work on OS X as there's no IE executable to run inside the FF tab.

however, running IE on OS X can be done via Crossover (Wine) or running a virtual machine like virtualbox or parallels.

I think the Wine solution is best in this case as you don't have to buy Windows to get IE running.

whoa furreal. My wife needs IE (due to activeX) to get on her work computer. So DL WINE and then its step by step to DL IE?

LCfiner

Mikasangelos said:
whoa furreal. My wife needs IE (due to activeX) to get on her work computer. So DL WINE and then its step by step to DL IE?

it's been a looong time since I've used it but I remember that the IE instl was an automated option integrated into the Wine program that I had used. but I can't remember which Wine version I had.

someone on gaf may know more.

Chao said:
Be careful with those, I've read many times that eBay applecare won't work. I mean, you can activate them and everything, but if your machine dies and you really need to use the Applecare, they will check the number and they will tell you to gtfo because you didn't get a proper code.

Is there a way I can test it?

I assume I can just call Apple to verify the code correct?

Or is there something I'm missing here?

Miggytronz

yeah speaking of AppleCare. Buying it in stores the most proper way. and should i bring my Macbook with me as well.

i just bought it from Best Buy on mothers day.

Chao

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is there a way I can test it?

I assume I can just call Apple to verify the code correct?

Or is there something I'm missing here?

I'm not sure. I spent a lot of time looking for a cheap applecare for my MBP and ended up getting nothing. People on the interwebs had problems with these ebay applecare codes. As I said, they would enter the code on whichever apple website you have to do that (i don't know where, I've nerver done it) and after they process it, they would get an "everything went ok, you have activated you applecare" message. HOwever, when some of these people needed to use the warranty because their machine died on them, apple would check the applecare license again and tell them that they didn't get that license through legal ways, therefore they can't use it.

I don't know if you can check this or not, but probably you should call Apple and ask about this before doing anything. Also, google "fake applecare ebay" and you will find a lot of information about this.

SnakeXs

Few little things:

1) Why the hell can't we move around third party menu bar items? Drives me crazy.

2) Why the hell aren't apps taking advantage of multitouch more? Drives me crazy. But I say that as a new glass trackpad owner who wants to abuse it all he can.

3) Was it Handbrake that started taking advantage of GPU for encoding, or something else? That and the latest Flash beta (which strangely only works in HD and full screen @ Youtube, from what I can tell). Anything else?

Futureman

I'm probably going to get a new iMac when they update them this fall.

Hopefully the 21.5" gets a Core i7 option.

If not, I guess I'll splurge on the 27"... might just anyways since I do photo/video work, but the ~$500 could get me a bunch of software (Lightroom 3, Creative Suite 5).

Dkong said:

I know this has been answered and in fact I'm myself checking out the Wine app, up till now, when I have had to use IE to access a site (quite a few times actually), I just used the original Internet Explorer for Mac - it works on Snowy Leopard and despite the complaints about it by some, it runs fine for me.

With that said, I'm itching to try the Wine method.

Now that Snow Leopard has been out for a good while, are there any significant improvements from Grand Central Dispatch? The main program I'll be using is designed for two cores and not four, but I'm wondering if GCD will add a significant boost in performance to the already default extra core performance (if that makes sense).

Chao said:
I'm not sure. I spent a lot of time looking for a cheap applecare for my MBP and ended up getting nothing. People on the interwebs had problems with these ebay applecare codes. As I said, they would enter the code on whichever apple website you have to do that (i don't know where, I've nerver done it) and after they process it, they would get an "everything went ok, you have activated you applecare" message. HOwever, when some of these people needed to use the warranty because their machine died on them, apple would check the applecare license again and tell them that they didn't get that license through legal ways, therefore they can't use it.

I don't know if you can check this or not, but probably you should call Apple and ask about this before doing anything. Also, google "fake applecare ebay" and you will find a lot of information about this.

Thanks. I'll definitely ask them about that today. Then again I'm a little uneasy because I may get a on commission swindler.

Burger

Small question:

I have a MacBook Pro with a defective 8600M chip, which is covered until 3yrs after the purchase date. The screen will sometimes not turn on, indicating a bad chip according to this document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

The problem is that the issue is intermittent (often when booting cold). Will they look at fixing it or just reject any repair until it's a permanent problem ? It's going to be past that 3yr date in about 2-3 months, so it's sort of urgent that I get it repaired.

(Also, no Apple Stores here, so it's Authorised Service Provider for me).

Top Bottom