• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
mrkgoo said:
So I'm considering getting a 15" MacBook pro, probably i7. I understand there is a current issue with the graphics switching and apparent freezing, locking at least the display for up to 10 minutes. Anyone here with that issue? Sounds like the automatic switching of graphics card isn't ready for prime time.

I have a lowly i5 but I've never had any graphical issues, and I've probably used this GPU heavily more in this past week or so than I did my old one it it's 2.9 year lifetime (yay Torchlight).

Steam did freeze once, but it wasn't doing anything intensive at the time.

That said I am going on, as mentioned, roughly a week experience. I hope none of that rears its ugly head at me. ._.

bionic77

Chao said:
YEah, and last year people was waiting for the i7. And the next year you'll have to wait for something else with a cool name.
Plus it can't be as big as the leap between Core 2 to the i line.

I will wait until around October to see if Apple upgrades the 13" to an i cpu, if not I will just bite the bullet and get another 15".

AlphaSnake said:
Anybody using Better Touch Tool with Magic Mouse? Pretty amazing software, pretty much what the Magic Mouse should'd been from the start. The pinching does need some work, but it is an alpha release, so it's understood.
The Magic Mouse is too uncomfortable to use and software isn't going to help that. :(

LCfiner

thewesker said:
The Magic Mouse is too uncomfortable to use and software isn't going to help that. :(

I think it’s pretty dependant on how big your hand is and how you hold it.

I have large hands, hold the magic mouse pretty lightly with my thumb just slightly behind the midway point along its length and it’s pretty comfortable for me.

I think BTT is pretty great. I can totally understand why Apple wouldn’t ship those options themselves since it can get rather complex rather quickly but it does the job for me.

I use around 4 other gestures or taps and get a lot more out of the mouse.

LCfiner said:
I think it’s pretty dependant on how big your hand is and how you hold it.

I have large hands, hold the magic mouse pretty lightly with my thumb just slightly behind the midway point along its length and it’s pretty comfortable for me.

I think BTT is pretty great. I can totally understand why Apple wouldn’t ship those options themselves since it can get rather complex rather quickly but it does the job for me.

I use around 4 other gestures or taps and get a lot more out of the mouse.
I have large hands too, use a memory foam mouse pad and I think I'm just too used to my MX Revolution to make the switch. I like the Magic Mouse's functions but it's just too clunky for me to use. When I got my iMac, I used it exclusively for a month to give it a chance but in the end it just turned out that its design flaws > function.

AlexMogil

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
New applications that you download from the Internet do not load the icon until you launch it. When you first launch it, it will give a security warning like "you downloaded this from the Internet on this date, are you sure you want to open this?" After you open it from there, it'll load the icon and act normally.

For some reason it still doesn't even after the warning. I'm not heartbroken over it. I'll just move it back and forth.

thewesker said:
I have large hands too, use a memory foam mouse pad and I think I'm just too used to my MX Revolution to make the switch. I like the Magic Mouse's functions but it's just too clunky for me to use. When I got my iMac, I used it exclusively for a month to give it a chance but in the end it just turned out that its design flaws > function.

I'm kinda in the same boat. And the Better Touch Tool just doesn't add enough for me to be able to use it. It's not like I can use three fingers on the thing when I have a hard enough time using two. My hands are just too big.

The MX does just fine, though.

thewesker said:
I have giant hands too, but I use the Revolution at work and the Magic Mouse at home. I've stuck with Logitech for a decade until now.

You palm the Revolution. You just hold the Magic Mouse with your thumb and ring finger on the sides near the middle. You can't really make a big full-handed mouse that does finger gestures well. Your two click fingers should be hovering in a fashion similar to if you were using a laptop trackpad.

AlexMogil

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I have giant hands too, but I use the Revolution at work and the Magic Mouse at home. I've stuck with Logitech for a decade until now.

You palm the Revolution. You just hold the Magic Mouse with your thumb and ring finger on the sides near the middle. You can't really make a big full-handed mouse that does finger gestures well. Your two click fingers should be hovering in a fashion similar to if you were using a laptop trackpad.

owie owie owie

I'd also add that using two fingers to gesture and swipe on it is rather tough, too. The light weight of the mouse makes me actually *move* the mouse during the swipe.

I *like* it, but nothing comes close to the touchpad on the MacBook Pro.

SnakeXs

AlexMogil said:
owie owie owie

I'd also add that using two fingers to gesture and swipe on it is rather tough, too. The light weight of the mouse makes me actually *move* the mouse during the swipe.

I *like* it, but nothing comes close to the touchpad on the MacBook Pro.

Yeah I wish Apple would release a keyboard with a trackpad. Not an issue since I don't have a desktop, but if I do I'm gonna miss having a trackpad, a lot.

jts

...hate me...
SnakeXs said:
Yeah I wish Apple would release a keyboard with a trackpad. Not an issue since I don't have a desktop, but if I do I'm gonna miss having a trackpad, a lot.
Exactly. It would be the ultimate Mac keyboard AND the ultimate HTPC keyboard :D

NJ Shlice

I'm running dual monitors, same exact monitor, same size.

How can I set up the desktop wallpaper to stretch one image across both monitors?

Is this possible or do I have to just go into Photoshop and cut the panorama into two sections?

Pulka

NJ Shlice said:
I'm running dual monitors, same exact monitor, same size.

How can I set up the desktop wallpaper to stretch one image across both monitors?

Is this possible or do I have to just go into Photoshop and cut the panorama into two sections?
You have too cut it manually.

Chao

One question. Can I upgrade my unibody MBP Core 2 duo processor for a new i5 i7 or whatever or would this require a totally new machine?

Chao

I probably said something lol worthy, but honestly I didn't know. Last thing I remember from my PC era is not beign able to upgrade my processor withouth changing the whole fucking motherboard because the sockets were totally different.

Chao said:
One question. Can I upgrade my unibody MBP Core 2 duo processor for a new i5 i7 or whatever or would this require a totally new machine?
forget the douche bag responses.

NO, you won't be able to do that. unlike other manufacturers, Apple uses CPUs that are soldered to the mobo/logic board. allows them to save on some expenses and keep a lower profile than most. problem is that people who'd like to add a new CPU are stuck.

technically, it would be possible for you to upgrade to another kind of Core 2 Duo processor, but it would be difficult and expensive. to upgrade to an i5/i7 would be impossible. different chipset.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. but at least I didn't bear more lulz.

Chao

Dreams-Visions said:
forget the douche bag responses.

NO, you won't be able to do that. unlike other manufacturers, Apple uses CPUs that are soldered to the mobo/logic board. allows them to save on some expenses and keep a lower profile than most. problem is that people who'd like to add a new CPU are stuck.

technically, it would be possible for you to upgrade to another kind of Core 2 Duo processor, but it would be difficult and expensive. to upgrade to an i5/i7 would be impossible. different chipset.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. but at least I didn't bear more lulz.
Thanks, I knew it couldn't be that simple. Not really concerned because my MBP is still awesome, just wanted to know if this was a possibility or not.

Chao said:
Thanks, I knew it wouldn't be that easy. Not really concerned because my MBP is still awesome, just wanted to know if this was a possibility or not.
no problem, bro. my very fist Mac comes on Tuesday! big deal for me, as I've been raised PC and never used a Mac. I'm very technically averse (computer science undergrad back in those days) and am usually found helping people with their PC issues. I guess I got bored with Windows and wanted something different.

went all in. i7 17", 160GB SSD + 500GB HDD, etc.

hoping all goes well!

kennah

Chao said:
I probably said something lol worthy, but honestly I didn't know. Last thing I remember from my PC era is not beign able to upgrade my processor withouth changing the whole fucking motherboard because the sockets were totally different.
Laptops have always been (basically) non-upgradeable. Not much room in there to have a socket for the CPU so they're usually soldered on.

jts

...hate me...
Dreams-Visions said:
no problem, bro. my very fist Mac comes on Tuesday! big deal for me, as I've been raised PC and never used a Mac. I'm very technically averse (computer science undergrad back in those days) and am usually found helping people with their PC issues. I guess I got bored with Windows and wanted something different.

went all in. i7 17", 160GB SSD + 500GB HDD, etc.

hoping all goes well!
No optical drive?

im not sure if this is the right place for it but i cant make threads so i'll go ahead and ask. is the mac OS better or drastically diffrent than windows? Im asking because im still looking for a good laptop for college and i have it narrowed down to the Asus Eee PC 1201N netbook or a macbook and the 1201n would cost around 600 while the cheapest mac is 900 so what say you gaf? is the mac OS, ilife, and iwork worth the extra 480 dollars?

SnakeXs

terrdactycalsrock said:
im not sure if this is the right place for it but i cant make threads so i'll go ahead and ask. is the mac OS better or drastically diffrent than windows? Im asking because im still looking for a good laptop for college and i have it narrowed down to the Asus Eee PC 1201N netbook or a macbook and the 1201n would cost around 600 while the cheapest mac is 900 so what say you gaf? is the mac OS, ilife, and iwork worth the extra 480 dollars?

Depends who you ask. Obviously you're in a Mac thread, so most here will say yes. Me included. It really depends on how much 300 extra bucks (how did you get 480? 900-600 = 300, lest I be insane) means to you, how happy you are with Windows, what you'll be doing with it, and why you're even considering moving to OS X. And if it's gonna be your only/main machine.

mrkgoo

terrdactycalsrock said:

SnakeXs said it best. It really depends on who you ask, and you'll get every side. My personal opinion is that *I* like Mac OS X a lot. But that's my opinion. I'm not going to say whter it's better than Windows, because to be frank, I haven't used windows in several years. For sure, I interact with it every now and again and those times, I can get frustrated, but not so much because it's worse, but because it's unfamiliar with how I work.

Something very important to me is simplicity and a level of "I don't want to deal with that". The integration of the software environment on a Mac and the 'consistent' interaction between the hardware and the software because they come from the same company helps achieve that in my mind. I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in other environments, just that it seems logical to me that when you want things to be as easy as possible, you need to have a level of understanding between the hardware and software, and this must be easier when the two come from the same place.

In short, Apple (and Mac developers) essentially know the configuration of all Macs (more or less), and this has to be easier in making software work. On top of that, I enjoy staying within the Apple environment when possible so that software conflicts are minimised. Again, not saying all the Apple software talks well, but generally it's better than using a third party app that gets broken with an OS upgrade.

Ironic that the iPad is nearly the exact opposite issue in the last regard, but that's mitigated by the closed environment and the current consistency of hardware.

What does it all mean? For me, the basic tasks I would use a computer for are all accounted for, and that they more or less run without me having to 'deal' with more issues than I need to.

Fuckwit

Banned
AutoCad for mac:
http://www.9to5mac.com/Autocad-mac
AutoCAD%20-%202.jpg

SnakeXs said:
Depends who you ask. Obviously you're in a Mac thread, so most here will say yes. Me included. It really depends on how much 300 extra bucks (how did you get 480? 900-600 = 300, lest I be insane) means to you, how happy you are with Windows, what you'll be doing with it, and why you're even considering moving to OS X. And if it's gonna be your only/main machine.

wow thats some good advice i'll take everything into consideration. the 300 dollers can be made up by getting a job its not like im deciding between rent and a new laptop and im pretty happy with windows and by that i mean im indiffrent to it. and i will be in school for a while ( physical therapy major) and i would probally use it as my dedicated machine because my mom has taken over my bedroom since shes discovered facebook lol. so maybe it would benfit me more to get a real laptop instead of a netbook espically since netbooks are suppose to be cheap and this one isnt as for the snow lepord OS im more curouis than anything because ive never even demoed it before same way with the rest of the mac software with the exception of itunes. i still dont know what im going to do but i feel better now thanks

mrkgoo said:
SnakeXs said it best. It really depends on who you ask, and you'll get every side. My personal opinion is that *I* like Mac OS X a lot. But that's my opinion. I'm not going to say whter it's better than Windows, because to be frank, I haven't used windows in several years. For sure, I interact with it every now and again and those times, I can get frustrated, but not so much because it's worse, but because it's unfamiliar with how I work.

Something very important to me is simplicity and a level of "I don't want to deal with that". The integration of the software environment on a Mac and the 'consistent' interaction between the hardware and the software because they come from the same company helps achieve that in my mind. I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in other environments, just that it seems logical to me that when you want things to be as easy as possible, you need to have a level of understanding between the hardware and software, and this must be easier when the two come from the same place.

In short, Apple (and Mac developers) essentially know the configuration of all Macs (more or less), and this has to be easier in making software work. On top of that, I enjoy staying within the Apple environment when possible so that software conflicts are minimised. Again, not saying all the Apple software talks well, but generally it's better than using a third party app that gets broken with an OS upgrade.

Ironic that the iPad is nearly the exact opposite issue in the last regard, but that's mitigated by the closed environment and the current consistency of hardware.

What does it all mean? For me, the basic tasks I would use a computer for are all accounted for, and that they more or less run without me having to 'deal' with more issues than I need to.

i completely understand where your coming from because im weary around third party software espically if ive never heard of the company before. So it would be nice to have a consistent feel to all of the software

MCX

Banned
terrdactycalsrock, if you decide that Mac's the machine for you, wait until mid summer to buy it because that's the time Apple has their student promo where basically you get a free iPod touch with the purchase of a Macbook. You can sell it for roughly $200 to help recoup some of the cost.

MCX said:
terrdactycalsrock, if you decide that Mac's the machine for you, wait until mid summer to buy it because that's the time Apple has their student promo where basically you get a free iPod touch with the purchase of a Macbook. You can sell it for roughly $200 to help recoup some of the cost.

awesome if i do buy one thats when i'll do it. thanks for the heads up!

mrkgoo

terrdactycalsrock said:
awesome if i do buy one thats when i'll do it. thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, that's what I did.

Alternatively, you can keep it if you don't already have an iPod touch!

Windows vs. Mac Os X aside, I don't think a netbook vs. a Macbook is going to be a good comparison. I would go MacBook simply because it is a full computer. Like Steve Jobs said, a netbook isn't better than anything -they're just cheap, small laptops. If this purchase is going to be anything resembling your main device, I'd go with a proper laptop, windows or Mac OS X.

hiro4

Also important is to check if the software you use has a sufficient osx counterpart. I had to switch several times during my college days to windows for 3ds max. Thank god for bootcamp. But I still hated it. Same thing for gaming.

But it all depends on how important it is to you

mrkgoo

DJ Crimson said:
I must be blind because I don't have a clue about the default one you are talking about.:lol

I just click and drag files onto a blank disc and hit burn.

Also, note that the burn folder contains a shortcut if drag a folder. Don't make the mistake of trying to clear up space by clicking that shortcut and deleting files in there.... (this was during 10.3 days - I have no idea about snow leopard - that's how often I actually burn files nowadays)(actually, I just backed up some files to disc earlier to day :lol).

mrkgoo said:
I just click and drag files onto a blank disc and hit burn.

Also, note that the burn folder contains a shortcut if drag a folder. Don't make the mistake of trying to clear up space by clicking that shortcut and deleting files in there.... (this was during 10.3 days - I have no idea about snow leopard - that's how often I actually burn files nowadays)(actually, I just backed up some files to disc earlier to day :lol).

Well I guess I would prefer to burn movies, would it work the same way? I backed them up via MacTheRipper if that helps with anything.

mrkgoo

DJ Crimson said:
Well I guess I would prefer to burn movies, would it work the same way? I backed them up via MacTheRipper if that helps with anything.

Depends. If you mean just burn movie files onto a disc, then sure. If you mean you wish to burn movie files from a DVD-video disc format to the same thing, then I'm not so sure. Possibly disc utility ripping an iso will achieve the same effect.

If you were wanting to burn movie files to be playable on any dvd player, you have iDVD app.

Really depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve.

mrkgoo said:
Depends. If you mean just burn movie files onto a disc, then sure. If you mean you wish to burn movie files from a DVD-video disc format to the same thing, then I'm not so sure. Possibly disc utility ripping an iso will achieve the same effect.

If you were wanting to burn movie files to be playable on any dvd player, you have iDVD app.

Really depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Yes, I would want them to play on any DVD player. Going to replace my DVDs that were recently stolen with backups I made but haven't had internet so didn't have a clue how to.

mrkgoo

DJ Crimson said:
Yes, I would want them to play on any DVD player. Going to replace my DVDs that were recently stolen with backups I made but haven't had internet so didn't have a clue how to.
That will depend on how the backup was made. If they are just pure disc isos, I'm not sure, but couldn't you just copy the iso onto a disc using disk utility?

If they were ripped into some other file format, then you could probably use iDVD to put them back into a native MPEG2, but I doubt iDVD would do that great a conversion considering you'd be doing a double conversion.

Sounds more and more like you really need some simple third party app.

mrkgoo said:
That will depend on how the backup was made. If they are just pure disc isos, I'm not sure, but couldn't you just copy the iso onto a disc using disk utility?

If they were ripped into some other file format, then you could probably use iDVD to put them back into a native MPEG2, but I doubt iDVD would do that great a conversion considering you'd be doing a double conversion.

Sounds more and more like you really need some simple third party app.

Alright, thanks for all the help. I'll eventually figure it out with a few more Google searches.

Ok, I just replaced my mighty mouse. The scroll ball refuses to scroll down despite all the cleaning. I just bought a Logitech Marathon M705.

I install the software and the mouse works fine, but now my apple keyboard is acting all screwy. For a minute everything works ok, but then suddenly the keyboard is not recognized yet the mouse works. Sometimes a few keys work on the keyboard, then a few dont. I have tried plugging in the receiver to the keyboard's USB ports and to the iMac's ports and it is still the same result. WTF?

Also, even after assigning buttons in the logitech software, they sometimes go screwy. When in finder, the back and forward buttons work like they should, but in Chrome the back and forward buttons move between Spaces screens.

Any ideas? Just take the mouse back (which I dont wanna because I like the features and how it feels, but not if it screws the whole system).

Gav

Cracked out my old copy of Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 today, and have installed it using Winebottler.
Upon launching, i get a graphics error, and i think i know what it is.
Is there anyway to force 256 colours on Snow Leopard, or am i out of luck?

Edit: I played with the graphics settings in Wine and forced it to run in a window, and its now working ok.

terrdactycalsrock said:

Why would you pay $600 for a netbook?

I prefer OS X over Windows because it's faster and much more streamlined and organized in my experience. But for an extra $300, get the macbook just for the hardware. At least it's a real laptop. And also the most comfortably designed laptop on the market IMO.

jts

...hate me...
smokeymicpot said:
Yesterday I cracked my iphone screen by accident. Anyone know of a cheap way to fix it.
Wrong thread, but there are plenty of iPhone glasses + repair kits on ebay for cheap.

My gf cracked her 3G and bought one of those for like 12 pounds or something. You have to DIY though, and I didn't do it yet... but I think it'll be easy.

---

Speaking of iPhone, does anyone know a way of waking up a Macbook wirelessly with it? It should be easy with bluetooth, since Macs have wake on bluetooth capabilities, but I can't seem to find out how to do it.

Jasoco

Banned
terrdactycalsrock said:
The cheapest Mac is $600. The Mac mini is a perfectly viable Mac. Unless you mean strictly laptops. Also, Don't get a netbook. They're overrated and passé IMHO. Tablet's is where it's all at now (The direction the market is heading lately) if you need some small tiny secondary machine. For a main machine, a 13" laptop isn't a huge machine. It's nice and small, light, and still enough room on screen for actually getting work done. Not some small low resolution screen that's too small to fit most options dialogs and a keyboard that's cramped.

I use a 13" MacBook Pro as my main machine. The only other computer I have that I use is an old mini that serves as a backup and media server. This way I can be free, and still have a huge amount of HD space for storing all my movies and my backups.

And yes. All the stuff OS X gives you with all the stuff you won't have to put up with anymore that you had to deal with on Windows is totally worth the extra money. You're saving hassle, having to buy Antivirus software, all kinds of stuff. Plus, OS X has a lot of free programs that rival the expensive Windows counterparts. Plus you can still run Windows if you HAVE to. That's the beautiful part. You could use OS X as your main get stuff done machine, and then have a, how I say, "throwaway" Windows partition (Or image if you use virtualization software for simultaneous use) that, if it ever becomes riddled with viruses and spyware, can be erased in a jiffy and reinstalled right then and there. Hell, you could backup your "perfect" Windows image HD and restore it if you have that problem. Mac's make even Windows less hassle to deal with.

So yes. It is totally worth paying the extra money for a Mac.

You could get a nice Mac mini, use your old monitor, keyboard and mouse, and get an iPad for casual portable fun and have the best of both worlds. Or just get a MacBook/Pro, even a 13" (The Core2Duo is NOT a horrible processor no matter what everyone says.) is good enough. 4GB RAM in the Pro is amazing. This thing is so much better than my old MacBook was. (The white MacBook's still have 2GB, but other than that are the same thing as the Pro sans the SD slot and aluminum case. Weird that the white ones don't have an SD slot. You'd think their market would benefit from one. i.e. the digital camera carrying students and parents with kids who are always carrying SD card devices.)

I've written a lot here. And I'm hungry now. So good luck with your decision, if you haven't made it yet.

Top Bottom