• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
lexi said:
Just wanted to say BetterTouchTool is awesome, I probably don't even use it to it's full potential, but having expose / show desktop as three finger swipe up/down is soooo good.

(Magic Mouse, btw)

Indeed it is. =)

lexi

Banned
Does anyone know of anything that would let me use my Macbook keyboard / trackpad as the keyboard / mouse for my iMac?

I'm not really after VNC or screensharing... Does something like this exist?

hirokazu

AlphaSnake said:
Any of you guys using a VNC/remote desktop client for your Macs on an iPhone? I downloaded VNC Lite, but it doesn't allow me to scroll through a browser's pages and etc, so the mouse isn't very functional.
iTeleport.

Best VNC app on iPhone by far. But fucking expensive. :/

lexi said:
Does anyone know of anything that would let me use my Macbook keyboard / trackpad as the keyboard / mouse for my iMac?

Well isn't Screen Sharing pretty much this except you see the iMac screen on the MacBook? Just don't like at the MacBook screen while you're using it, LOL.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
lexi said:

Teleport might be what you're looking for - http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

works fine on splitting keyboard/trackpad use between the macbook and a 1st gen intel iMac on SL.

Does BetterTouchTool work fine in 64-bit mode?

I know that there are some apps that don't work in 64-bit mode (like Insomniac) and was wondering if this would follow suit.

Chris R

Flying_Phoenix said:

I know that there are some apps that don't work in 64-bit mode (like Insomniac) and was wondering if this would follow suit.
Works great in 64-bit SL here.

I own an external hard disk drive formatted with NTFS on WinXp. Do I need to format it with FAT to use it with the latest MacOS? Do I also have to reformat my iPhone 3G from WinXP to MacOS to be able to put music on it?

Krelian

Patrick Bateman said:
I own an external hard disk drive formatted with NTFS on WinXp. Do I need to format it with FAT to use it with the latest MacOS? Do I also have to reformat my iPhone 3G from WinXP to MacOS to be able to put music on it?
Mac OS X can read NTFS drives natively, but if you want to write you have to install some third party driver. I'm using NTFS-3g. There are others, but that one is free and is working fine for me. I don't have an iPhone, but I thought you had to use iTunes to put music on it? Either way, I would be surprised if you had to do anything to use the iPhone on a Mac.

That thing with the NTFS is nice, thank you.
I had an iPod and once you formatted it on NTFS, you had to delete everything and reformat it to FAT. That's why I thought it might be the same for the iPhone.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Yeah, you just have to mount the drives with custom flags, a script should do it. I'm doing it like this since I got my machine, works great.

Macbook Pro prices have dropped. So why haven't Mac Pro prices? As a result of this pricing divide, my next computer will be a custom built Windows machine. Still will be keeping my Macbook Pro around though.

Also, open up Terminal, paste this in there, hit return:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Boom, one window mode in Safari.

wmat said:
mescalineeyes, your avatar reminds me of the planet flying sequences of Captain Blood.

content

:)

mescalineeyes said:

It is so much better without the type on it:
pleasures.jpg

One of the most perfect album covers ever. I love your avatar, but think it would look cooler if it were centered. But that is me.

I am also using this album cover as my iPad lock screen.

lexi said:
Just wanted to say BetterTouchTool is awesome, I probably don't even use it to it's full potential, but having expose / show desktop as three finger swipe up/down is soooo good.

(Magic Mouse, btw)
doesn't the MBP do those things already with 4-finger swipes?

I'm kinda struggling to find use for BTT right now. I'm not sure how many more gestures I can create. maybe I need to watch a youtube video or something.

PhoncipleBone said:
One of the most perfect album covers ever. I love your avatar, but think it would look cooler if it were centered. But that is me.

no, it's absolutely not just you, unfortunately, the lines became a little too small and made the whole art illegible. I'll give it one more shot though.

edit:
content

see?

MCX

Banned
Do any other GAFers read magazines in .PDF format on their Macbooks?

I have a problem -- Preview (the program, not the name of a magazine :p) will open up normally but as time elapses my RAM consumption skyrockets until there is none free. And so I'm forced to close and restart every 5-10 minutes.

Is this normal? Why does this happen? Gracias.

Oh, just for reference, I'm on a mid-2009 base MBP 13".

MCX said:

I have a problem -- Preview (the program, not the name of a magazine :p) will open up normally but as time elapses my RAM consumption skyrockets until there is none free. And so I'm forced to close and restart every 5-10 minutes.

is there a reason not to use Acrobat Reader?

MCX said:

close all apps, go to disk utility, select the hard-drive Mac OS X is insatlled on then repair permissions.
reboot and observe is the problem persists. if yes, simply re-install OS X (and make sure to upgrade to the newest verrsion) -- no worries, all your files, settings and accounts will persist.

Dreams-Visions said:
notsureifserious

MCX

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
OS X can natively read PDFs + I don't want to install Adobe bloatware.

mescalineeyes said:
close all apps, go to disk utility, select the hard-drive Mac OS X is insatlled on then repair permissions.
reboot and observe is the problem persists. if yes, simply re-install OS X (and make sure to upgrade to the newest verrsion) -- no worries, all your files, settings and accounts will persist.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

Ashhong

Flying_Phoenix said:

wait, define "in 64-bit mode"? i have insomniac installed and it works fine

PhoncipleBone said:
Because osx reads the format on its own without having to get Adobe reader.
but if it's not working properly, why not use Acrobat Reader?

mescalineeyes said:
notsureifserious
read the sign on the thread. lol :D noob answer, perhaps...but when things are acting quirky, I don't see why one wouldn't default to a piece of software literally MADE to view and use PDFs properly?

seems a far cry better than suggestions to "format & reload". how the hell is that a solution at all? It's interesting to see how often "format & reload" appears to be a regular suggestion in the OSX community. I can't imagine that being a good solution. More like an "i don't know how to fix it, so I'll just blow my shit away" kinda thing. as a PC "veteran", I've found that approach to be almost always a function of sheer user ignorance than it somehow being the only remaining good option.

idk.

MCX said:
OS X can natively read PDFs + I don't want to install Adobe bloatware.
acrobat is bloatware? Acrobat is using... 0.3% of my CPU? whatever works for you, I guess. I'm lost.

Because Preview does everything Adobe Reader does, there should be absolutely no reason for it.

I don't see why one wouldn't default to a piece of software literally MADE to view and use PDFs properly?
So is Preview.

Also, reinstalling OSX =/= reinstalling Windows. There is no formatting required to do so.

thewesker said:
Because Preview does everything Adobe Reader does, there should be absolutely no reason for it.

So is Preview.
alrightey. then you guys glow away your machine. lol.

if that floats your boat, don't let me get in the way. I was just offering an alternative option. But to suggest it's "bloated" is just stupid. I just opened it up and looked at my activity monitor. "bloated" is just silly talk. personally, I'd take the 30-second download and keep on moving than formatting and installing my OS.

but hey...maybe that's the OSX culture. something small breaks? format and reload your shit, homie! fuck troubleshooting! screw finding real solutions or alternate solutions that *don't* involve hoping Time Machine works! meh. like I said, whatever makes you guys happy. was just offering something that would fucking work for you. didn't expect to get my hand bitten.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21564141&postcount=4626 for example.

but I just got my Mac, so I've been doing a lot of research trying to find solutions to issues and work-arounds for things. in lots of forums, the solution to problems as presented by forumites is more often "format & reload" than I expect to see. that's between Gaf, MacRumors, and Notebookreview.

maybe you don't see it, but I've been hardcore searching to get my machine running at max efficiency (and it is..even with Acrobat Reader Pro handling my PDF duties...blasphemy, apparently...but I like creating and editing PDFs too, as well as converting OCR to real text so I need it). too often, I see reinstalling OSX as a fix to slow boots, oddly behaving applications, apps that people can't figure out how to uninstall, and other things.

like I said, it's just interesting to observe, culturally, how often reinstalling OSX is tossed out there as a "fix". because in the Windows world, people tossing that out there are kicked out the fucking door. but that's typically because "format & reload" is almost always a cop-out. an answer presented by someone who simply doesn't understand how to fix a problem...and should probably not be giving advice, consequently.

but whatever. I'm moving on. if people want to suggest people reinstall OSX if repairing disk permissions doesn't work instead of simply using Acrobat Reader, which seems to work just fine from what I can tell)...hell...if the preservation of that feature is that important, God Speed. I'm going to move on, because this conversation is full of stupid. who really has time.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
What a turn towards wtfisthisshit city this thread took. Here's to hoping it's just a slight detour.

Dreams-Visions said:
bunch of horrible text
Apparently you didn't read this part of that post:

Once again, reinstalling OSX =/= installing Windows. Even then, I think your stance against reinstalling OS's is dumb. Sometimes it's better to do it then try 50 fixes that might not work.

ngower said:
OSX thread with Joy Division talk? Wake me, I'm dreaming.
Are you waiting for a guide to come and take you by the hand? :)

Dreams-Visions said:
maybe you don't see it, but I've been hardcore searching to get my machine running at max efficiency (and it is..even with Acrobat Reader Pro handling my PDF duties...blasphemy, apparently...but I like creating and editing PDFs too, as well as converting OCR to real text so I need it). too often, I see reinstalling OSX as a fix to slow boots, oddly behaving applications, apps that people can't figure out how to uninstall, and other things.
OSX can create its own PDFs. No need to get the Adobe solution, it came default with the os.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
PhoncipleBone said:
OSX can create its own PDFs. No need to get the Adobe solution, it came default with the os.

Yeah, I was a little confused when he said he likes to create his own PDFs. I was thinking: oh, you mean like this?

20100601-q546ppyfr5hmgc4c5dqygs7w52.jpg

Once again, reinstalling OSX =/= installing Windows. Even then, I think your stance against reinstalling OS's is dumb. Sometimes it's better to do it then try 50 fixes that might not work.

Oh yeah, I had something funky happen to me last year a couple weeks after Snow Leopard came out. It literally took less than an hour to reinstall my OS. Best part is that it puts the old OS and all its files into an archive area. All you do at that point is move your applications and files that were in your home directory over and delete the all the old stuff. That is seriously 100x easier than ever trying to figure out "what went wrong," and 1,000x easier than trying to "format and reload" a Windows machine. Ok Dreams like to re-download a bunch of miscellaneous programs for no reason at all when he does have to do a reinstall for whatever reason.

Alfarif said:
Yeah, I was a little confused when he said he likes to create his own PDFs. I was thinking: oh, you mean like this?

20100601-q546ppyfr5hmgc4c5dqygs7w52.jpg

Oh yeah, I had something funky happen to me last year a couple weeks after Snow Leopard came out. It literally took less than an hour to reinstall my OS. Best part is that it puts the old OS and all its files into an archive area. All you do at that point is move your applications and files that were in your home directory over and delete the all the old stuff. That is seriously 100x easier than ever trying to figure out "what went wrong," and 1,000x easier than trying to "format and reload" a Windows machine. Ok Dreams like to re-download a bunch of miscellaneous programs for no reason at all when he does have to do a reinstall for whatever reason.
Installing the OS takes not time. When I upgraded to Snow Leopard it took very little time, and all my settings and documents were just as they were.

And making PDFs is a breeze. It took us forever to find a good free (legal) solution for making PDFs on my wife's Vista laptop for all her school presentations. I love that the PDF creation is built into OSX.

thatbox

Banned
Krelian said:
Mac OS X can read NTFS drives natively, but if you want to write you have to install some third party driver. I'm using NTFS-3g. There are others, but that one is free and is working fine for me. I don't have an iPhone, but I thought you had to use iTunes to put music on it? Either way, I would be surprised if you had to do anything to use the iPhone on a Mac.
I've had nothing but smooth sailing using NTFS-3G for OSX for over two years, both reading and writing to a Windows-formatted NTFS drive, just in case anyone was hesitant to use it.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
PhoncipleBone said:
Installing the OS takes not time. When I upgraded to Snow Leopard it took very little time, and all my settings and documents were just as they were.

And making PDFs is a breeze. It took us forever to find a good free (legal) solution for making PDFs on my wife's Vista laptop for all her school presentations. I love that the PDF creation is built into OSX.

The part I like the best is the web reciepts folder it creates when you go that route. Completely genius.

Dreams-Visions said:
like I said, it's just interesting to observe, culturally, how often reinstalling OSX is tossed out there as a "fix". because in the Windows world, people tossing that out there are kicked out the fucking door. but that's typically because "format & reload" is almost always a cop-out. an answer presented by someone who simply doesn't understand how to fix a problem...and should probably not be giving advice, consequently.

it takes hot 25 minutes to re-install OSX and, as I said and people pointed out, you keep all your apps and settings, so really, it's probably the easiest fix for most problems people are having. :lol

also, I really wasn't sure if you were series about using Acrobat Reader, mainly because Preview is one of my most used/favorite apps on the Mac in general.

Top Bottom