• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

jts said:
No optical drive?
no. optical drive is worthless to me. maybe you pop discs in regularly, but I think I might use an optical drive to burn something once every 3 months. gimmie a 500GB SSD all day long. i'll burn on my desktop if necessary.

160GB SSD + 500GB storage HDD FTMFW.

Sorry but I didn't want to start a new thread...

Anyone here with a PC+Mac combo? More specifically, started with a Mac then bought a PC to compliment it. Any issues with networking, compatibility and going back and forth the two? I ask because I'm really considering a PC laptop to coincide with my Mac desktop (been predominately a Mac user for the last 5 years). I was going to purchase the new 13" Macbook, but I'm not really impressed with the current specs (don't want to go the 15" route).

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jasoco

Banned
tracky_dacks said:
Anyone here with a PC+Mac combo? More specifically, started with a Mac then bought a PC to compliment it. ...

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would save money and just buy Windows 7 and install it via BootCamp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels.
Dreams-Visions said:
no. optical drive is worthless to me. maybe you pop discs in regularly, but I think I might use an optical drive to burn something once every 3 months. gimmie a 500GB SSD all day long. i'll burn on my desktop if necessary.
If you ask me, and I've said it before, but if Apple released the 13" MacBook Pro's as hybrid MacBook Pro/Air's in that they took out the optical drive, stuck in a second HD of your choice size (User upgradable) and sold an optical drive separately (For the times you DO need one.) and made it slightly thinner and lighter because of the removal of the drive, it would be the best change to the laptops yet. It makes sense in this day and age. To remove the optical drive, but still offer it for when you need it. Most of the time when you're out and about, you don't need the drive. Apple's all about downloading movies in iTunes, so there go DVD's, and the only time people use the drive most of the time is to install big software they can't get online, so just do that when you're at home.

I don't know if removing it would be a bold move, seeing as I think a few companies have already done it, but it would be a smart move on their part. And I would gladly buy the $99 external SuperDrive. (Or you can just use the computer's built-in ability to look for networked optical drives and just use a second machine to install OS X.)

The last time and only times I've used my drive was to install OS X. And how often does someone even do that? Removal would probably save battery too, and maybe even heat. They could totally restructure the insides, maybe make the bezel around the screen smaller, make it less deep, a little skinnier. Make the two HD's user accessible and BOOM. There you go.

Really, they should just phase the Air out and merge its beneficial characteristics with the Pro line and take the MacBook Pro's to the next level. And that is the only next level I can think of. I'd get one with a small (250 at maximum, but I wouldn't sneeze at a stock 500GB.) main Boot drive and a secondary 1TB (2TB when they become available) for Media and backup.

jts

...hate me...
Lately my Mac has been acting up, reducing its performance to a crawl now and then. Tried to figure out what it was today... since I was just browsing around, I figured it was Chrome (Chrome has also been acting up). Quitted Chrome, switched to Safari.

A couple of minutes later, the crawling came back. It's clearly observed when the dock magnifying is on.

I opened up Activity Monitor, there were still a couple of flash processes Chrome related running. Eating up more than 600MB of memory! WTF

Quitted those processes and it seems to be fine now.

Fucking flash, DIE.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Barry Obama said:
AutoCad for mac:
http://www.9to5mac.com/Autocad-mac
AutoCAD%20-%202.jpg

YES, now for the rest of your product suite.

Jasoco said:
If you ask me, and I've said it before, but if Apple released the 13" MacBook Pro's as hybrid MacBook Pro/Air's in that they took out the optical drive, stuck in a second HD of your choice size (User upgradable) and sold an optical drive separately (For the times you DO need one.) and made it slightly thinner and lighter because of the removal of the drive, it would be the best change to the laptops yet. It makes sense in this day and age. To remove the optical drive, but still offer it for when you need it. Most of the time when you're out and about, you don't need the drive. Apple's all about downloading movies in iTunes, so there go DVD's, and the only time people use the drive most of the time is to install big software they can't get online, so just do that when you're at home.

I don't know if removing it would be a bold move, seeing as I think a few companies have already done it, but it would be a smart move on their part. And I would gladly buy the $99 external SuperDrive. (Or you can just use the computer's built-in ability to look for networked optical drives and just use a second machine to install OS X.)

The last time and only times I've used my drive was to install OS X. And how often does someone even do that? Removal would probably save battery too, and maybe even heat. They could totally restructure the insides, maybe make the bezel around the screen smaller, make it less deep, a little skinnier. Make the two HD's user accessible and BOOM. There you go.

Really, they should just phase the Air out and merge its beneficial characteristics with the Pro line and take the MacBook Pro's to the next level. And that is the only next level I can think of. I'd get one with a small (250 at maximum, but I wouldn't sneeze at a stock 500GB.) main Boot drive and a secondary 1TB (2TB when they become available) for Media and backup.
agreed.

that's basically what I'm doing with mine tomorrow when it comes in. I have my SSD and HDD caddy ready to plug in. I just need to pick up a torx to get into the MBP and remove the super drive. I've done a lot of research on what I want to do, and I expect to have my dual booting solution (SSD partitioned with OSX (110GB) and Win7(45GB), HDD partitioned to have an OSX-ready partition and an NTFS partition) complete and running properly in about an hour. I have all the apps I'm interested in installing ready to go.

tomorrow should be a fun day for me.

jts said:
Lately my Mac has been acting up, reducing its performance to a crawl now and then. Tried to figure out what it was today... since I was just browsing around, I figured it was Chrome (Chrome has also been acting up). Quitted Chrome, switched to Safari.

A couple of minutes later, the crawling came back. It's clearly observed when the dock magnifying is on.

I opened up Activity Monitor, there were still a couple of flash processes Chrome related running. Eating up more than 600MB of memory! WTF

Quitted those processes and it seems to be fine now.

Fucking flash, DIE.
wow, the fuck? I think that's gotta be a browser issue. I'd re-install it. that's not normal.

jts

...hate me...
Dreams-Visions said:
wow, the fuck? I think that's gotta be a browser issue. I'd re-install it. that's not normal.
Yeah, I'll try that. Earlier in the day, I was watching a sexay flick on Chrome on a Incognito window... then I quitted Chrome and the sound kept running!

LOGGED OUT OF MY ACCOUNT AND THE SOUND KEPT RUNNING, I SWEAR!

Nobody will believe me on this but it's the fucking truth.

The conclusion here is that Chrome isn't killing the flash processes after closing Chrome windows/tabs. But even that doesn't justify that they keep running after logging out.

So weird.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
I would save money and just buy Windows 7 and install it via BootCamp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels.

I agree, but I realise people like us aren't in the majority. People want a DVD drive to watch DVDs, backup data, make slideshows and movie discs for the parents/grandparents so they can watch on their DVD player and so on.

People actually do mods that remove the DVD drive and replace it with another hard drive bay. In fact, one manufacturer is currently offering a special whereby they give you a free external disc drive bay to use your superdrive as an external and even modifies something so that MAc Os X recognises it over USB.

LCfiner

Mecha_Infantry said:
Hi all,

do you mind if I do the official WWDC thread this wekeend, I have something nice lined up..

Cheers,

NOOOOOOOOOO!

j/k. I don't mind.

please note that starting it a week early might be jumping the gun a bit. it's gonna be a dead thread until the 7th at 10 AM PST :p

(there was already an announcement thread and that's only at around 80 posts)

LCfiner said:
NOOOOOOOOOO!

j/k. I don't mind.

please note that starting it a week early might be jumping the gun a bit. it's gonna be a dead thread until the 7th at 10 AM PST :p

(there was already an announcement thread and that's only at around 80 posts)

If you wanna do a joint thing that's cool! Nah I don't plan on posting it now, just starting the design/text work

LCfiner

Mecha_Infantry said:
If you wanna do a joint thing that's cool! Nah I don't plan on posting it now, just starting the design/text work

oh no. please understand that I have no desire to work on the WWDC thread. i was just pointing out that if you do it this weekend, don't expect many posts except for a few predictions from Apple gaf.

NJ Shlice

I just bought a second monitor for my desktop. Is there some software I can download to calibrate both monitors at the same time? They are the same exact monitor but I can't get them to look exactly the same (brightness, gamma, etc.)

also, does anyone recommend a good dual monitor wallpaper site

LCfiner said:
oh no. please understand that I have no desire to work on the WWDC thread. i was just pointing out that if you do it this weekend, don't expect many posts except for a few predictions from Apple gaf.

I predict that Steve Jobs will show a new iphone.

Jasoco

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ugh, OSX randomly won't boot and can't be repaired so I have to format and reinstall... Is this normal? Windows works but OSX doesn't.
Are you using Snow Leopard? No, you DO NOT have to reformat. This isn't Windows. Just reinstall OS X and it'll fix everything. As long as it's the OS and not the HD. But since Windows works, it's probably just a missing or broken file. No big deal. Reinstall. Just act like it's a normal install. Don't reformat.

Jasoco said:
Are you using Snow Leopard? No, you DO NOT have to reformat. This isn't Windows. Just reinstall OS X and it'll fix everything. As long as it's the OS and not the HD. But since Windows works, it's probably just a missing or broken file. No big deal. Reinstall. Just act like it's a normal install. Don't reformat.

If I reinstall do I lose all my data? The support people made it sound like I do which is why I assumed it did a format...

Edit: And ya, I'm on the most updated snow leopard. 10.6.3 I think...?

Burger

Took my MacBook Pro into service centre on Saturday, to hopefully get it repaired under the specific warranty for 8600M GPU's (otherwise it was well out of warranty, and I don't have Apple Care).

The guy asked me if it chimes, I said yep, he verified, he asked if I could SSH into it, I said I wasn't sure, but I could target disk into it. He said that was a good sign.

Monday comes around and I get a txt on my phone saying my job is in progress, then an hour later another text saying a part has been ordered. Sweet! Tuesday I get a txt saying my job has been updated to completed, then another saying it's ready to pick up.

So I have it back, with what I assume to be a REV2 logic board, with non faulty 8600M. Top job!

mrkgoo

Burger said:
Took my MacBook Pro into service centre on Saturday, to hopefully get it repaired under the specific warranty for 8600M GPU's (otherwise it was well out of warranty, and I don't have Apple Care).

The guy asked me if it chimes, I said yep, he verified, he asked if I could SSH into it, I said I wasn't sure, but I could target disk into it. He said that was a good sign.

Monday comes around and I get a txt on my phone saying my job is in progress, then an hour later another text saying a part has been ordered. Sweet! Tuesday I get a txt saying my job has been updated to completed, then another saying it's ready to pick up.

So I have it back, with what I assume to be a REV2 logic board, with non faulty 8600M. Top job!

Congrats. I guess this means that parts do indeed still exist. So much for wanting a replacement! Anyway, that makes sense - they extended the warranty for that part beyond standard, so I expect them to stock replacement parts for it until at least then.

Burger

mrkgoo said:
Congrats. I guess this means that parts do indeed still exist. So much for wanting a replacement! Anyway, that makes sense - they extended the warranty for that part beyond standard, so I expect them to stock replacement parts for it until at least then.

Yeah, a new i5 would have been nice, but it ain't happening :)

Ashhong

hey was there like some kind of special warranty for the palmrests on the white MB? i remember hearing a lot of problems, and my friends is cracked and pretty ugly. its about...3-4 years old or something though, so its definitely out of its regular warranty

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Ashhong said:
hey was there like some kind of special warranty for the palmrests on the white MB? i remember hearing a lot of problems, and my friends is cracked and pretty ugly. its about...3-4 years old or something though, so its definitely out of its regular warranty

My girlfriend had hers fixed many times.. though i think it depends on the mood of the 'genius' person.

Particle Physicist

So I'm having a strange issue with my dock. For some reason, I can't drag a file from a stack to the trash. I tried trashing the dock preference files, and that worked for a little bit, but it's now reverted back to not working. It's quite annoying since I have the download folder on there, and I am constantly deleting from the dock.

any suggestions?

MCX

Banned
Hey guys, are Logitech G9/G9x and/or Alienware TactX (rebranded G9) mice compatible with Macs? I've Google searched but found no answers.

Burai

shitonmychest57
MCX said:
Hey guys, are Logitech G9/G9x and/or Alienware TactX (rebranded G9) mice compatible with Macs? I've Google searched but found no answers.

99% of mice work fine with Mac OS X. You may need SteerMouse or to brave Logitech's notoriously buggy software to use the extra buttons besides left, right and the wheel.

MCX

Banned
Burai said:
99% of mice work fine with Mac OS X. You may need SteerMouse or to brave Logitech's notoriously buggy software to use the extra buttons besides left, right and the wheel.
Thank you. I found a killer deal on the TactX mouse and bought it on impulse without thinking about Mac support. That's reassuring.

jts

...hate me...
Ok, noob question.

I've been using OSX for some weeks now, and I THINK... I know I might be wrong... that until a couple of days ago, hitting the return key would open a selected folder/file etc. But now it just renames the object.

I've Googled it, and now I know that historically the return key have always done that on the Mac.

But I don't know man, I almost could swear that I've used it to open stuff. Isn't there an option to toggle the return key function on snow leopard or something?

Particle Physicist

jts said:
Ok, noob question.

I've been using OSX for some weeks now, and I THINK... I know I might be wrong... that until a couple of days ago, hitting the return key would open a selected folder/file etc. But now it just renames the object.

I've Googled it, and now I know that historically the return key have always done that on the Mac.

But I don't know man, I almost could swear that I've used it to open stuff. Isn't there an option to toggle the return key function on snow leopard or something?

It's always renamed for me. I hold the command key and press the down key to open folders/files. Don't know if there is another way.

bionic77 said:
I will wait until around October to see if Apple upgrades the 13" to an i cpu, if not I will just bite the bullet and get another 15".
Is this a feasible rumour? The way I'm saving at the moment I'll probably have the cash to buy a 13" by christmas or so. Not that it really matters I don't think, for me anyway, the 13" is perfect for what I'm going to be doing with it anyway really.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
jts said:
Ok, noob question.

Always been apple-o for me to open, enter to rename...

LCfiner

jts said:
Ok, noob question.

you were wrong. :)

enter always renames. CMD-O or CDM-dwn arrow to open an app/ document

jts

...hate me...
Ok, thank you guys.

It's funny how I just noticed that detail in the last couple of days. It means that for like a month I've been using the trackpad for about everything without even noticing... it's that awesome :p :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
jts said:
Ok, thank you guys.

It's funny how I just noticed that detail in the last couple of days. It means that for like a month I've been using the trackpad for about everything without even noticing... it's that awesome :p :D
If its really bugging you, you might wanna give Path Finder a shot. Enter is rename while Return is open in PF.

noob question 1: is there a way to make the touchpad click and drag function release the drag immediately after taking your finger off of the touchpad? I was very used to that with Windows. In OSX, it doesn't seem to recognize your release unless you have your finger off the pad for maybe .5 seconds? or unless you tap again. I'd be much more convenient if that could be amended. is there a way?

noob question 2: is there a button combination to press to make the delete key act more like the delete key in Windows instead of the backspace key? In other words, to make it remove letters in front of the cursor instead of those behind it?

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
noob question 1: is there a way to make the touchpad click and drag function release the drag immediately after taking your finger off of the touchpad? I was very used to that with Windows. In OSX, it doesn't seem to recognize your release unless you have your finger off the pad for maybe .5 seconds? or unless you tap again. I'd be much more convenient if that could be amended. is there a way?

noob question 2: is there a button combination to press to make the delete key act more like the delete key in Windows instead of the backspace key? In other words, to make it remove letters in front of the cursor instead of those behind it?

1. I think there's options in trackpad to alter "click and drag" functionality. check it out. pretty sure you can set it so that you have to keep your finger held down (I used to prefer it so that i could release my finger while dragging)

2. function+ delete

Shanks

Just bought the base 13 Macbook Pro. Pretty happy with it so far but I do have a question, do I need to reformat the harddrive or anything? Some Mac forums have said that Apple has a good amount of bloat in programs like garage band that you have to manually remove and other things that are taking up gigs up space. How true is this?

Dreams-Visions said:
fn+delete

LCfiner said:
1. I think there's options in trackpad to alter "click and drag" functionality. check it out. pretty sure you can set it so that you have to keep your finger held down (I used to prefer it so that i could release my finger while dragging)

2. function+ delete

lunarworks said:
fn+delete
thanks gentlemen!

re: 1. I looked under those options and also installed BetterTouchTool. Seems like there's not really any way to do what I'm trying to do. basically:

double tap --> drag window to place --> release and immediately tap again to move the cursor somewhere else.

what happens is if you click in less than .5 seconds or so is that OSX assumes you still want to move the same window you had move before, almost like a click-lock is engaged. now if you wait long enough to move your mouse again or tap the pad again, it releases. I was just hoping there was a way to make it disengage the quasi-drag lock sooner than the .5 seconds or so it is at by default. I'd like to make it maybe half that if possible.

from what I'm actually seeing now in other message boards...there seems to be no current solution or hack. if true, I'll be a slightly sad panda. otherwise, my new OSX experience has been excellent.

Looking to get into the terminal more over the weekend.

yo...this Intel SSD? epic. this system cold-boots in about 10 seconds. I mean from Mac chime to opening programs. it's nuts. I also disabled the hibernate (the one that writes all open contents to the HDD before sleeping), which was causing the sleep to take about 20 seconds to fully engage. now it takes about 3 seconds.

Shanks said:
Just bought the base 13 Macbook Pro. Pretty happy with it so far but I do have a question, do I need to reformat the harddrive or anything? Some Mac forums have said that Apple has a good amount of bloat in programs like garage band that you have to manually remove and other things that are taking up gigs up space. How true is this?
Not really, but if you are itching for space you can remove some of the apps you don't think you'll use. Personally, I use the stock iLife suite for a lot so it varies from person to person. Absolutely no reason to format though, NONE.

mrkgoo

Shanks said:

No, you don't.

The default install is even cleaner than it used to be (there used to be some extra software depending on the model of Mac you got - like that comic app and some dinosaur game for an ibook, and omnigraffle for powerbooks as well as trial Microsft Office.

Nowadays, I think the only 'bloat' is possibly an iWorks trial. Everything else are full fledged apps - Garageband, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto and iWeb are preinstalled, but they are a full-fledged suite of apps. Some of the support files such as audio files and stuff can take up a few gigabytes, but I wouldn't worry. If you have to get those couple of Gigs back, you can go ahead and delete them, but they are all very strong apps.

Part of why I like the Mac 'system' is because I don't have to worry about stuff too much. I never use Garageband, but it's not hurting any for it to sit there.

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
yo...this Intel SSD? epic. this system cold-boots in about 10 seconds. I mean from Mac chime to opening programs. it's nuts. I also disabled the hibernate (the one that writes all open contents to the HDD before sleeping), which was causing the sleep to take about 20 seconds to fully engage. now it takes about 3 seconds.

I think HDs are the current bottlenecks to computer speed for general computing. Thing is I want a large capacity drive as well as SSD benefits.

Some options:

Fork out for the 480GB SSD ($1500!)
Remove DVD bay and put in a second HD bay (use SSD as boot drive)
Get a bootable express card slot SSD and put apps and system on there
Get a hybrid HD/SSD.

Anyway, regarding fast sleep, the old Powerbooks (and during that era), all the sleepmodes were set to hibernate mode 3, whereby RAM is not written to harddrive at sleep. Sleep was instantaneous. From Intel era onwards, that option was always available if you did some terminal command,s but the default was to write the sleepimage. When I first got my MacBook Pro, I noticed this, and changed it back to instant sleep. The RAM writing is useful if you let your computer powerout from battery drain, or if you change batteries a lot, which I never do.

Fast sleep has always been around and I prefer it (not a factor of SSD).

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Dreams-Visions said:

I want one so bad.

mrkgoo said:
I think HDs are the current bottlenecks to computer speed for general computing. Thing is I want a large capacity drive as well as SSD benefits.

Some options:

Fork out for the 480GB SSD ($1500!)
Remove DVD bay and put in a second HD bay (use SSD as boot drive)
Get a bootable express card slot SSD and put apps and system on there
Get a hybrid HD/SSD.

Anyway, regarding fast sleep, the old Powerbooks (and during that era), all the sleepmodes were set to hibernate mode 3, whereby RAM is not written to harddrive at sleep. Sleep was instantaneous. From Intel era onwards, that option was always available if you did some terminal command,s but the default was to write the sleepimage. When I first got my MacBook Pro, I noticed this, and changed it back to instant sleep. The RAM writing is useful if you let your computer powerout from battery drain, or if you change batteries a lot, which I never do.

Fast sleep has always been around and I prefer it (not a factor of SSD).
Seagate Momentus XT

google it. probably will be 80% of what you're looking for.

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
Seagate Momentus XT

google it. probably will be 80% of what you're looking for.

Yeah, I mentioned the HD/ssd hybrid, which is the seagate moment us xt. I'm considering it. I recently upgraded my default 250gb 5400rpm to a 640gb 5400 rpm(which I ripped out of an external enclosure). Sequential read writes were much faster, but random write was slower, and I believe drastically reduced my ability to multitask efficiently. I really want a large drive, so I'm considering losing 140gb to do that and get 500gb moment us xt.

Jasoco

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If I reinstall do I lose all my data? The support people made it sound like I do which is why I assumed it did a format...

Edit: And ya, I'm on the most updated snow leopard. 10.6.3 I think...?
They're morons and are assuming you want to start fresh in case the HD is screwed up. If you install using the "Upgrade" option it will not reformat and will just replace the old OS with a new fresh one.

But you DO have a backup in case the unthinkable happens, right? RIGHT?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Any of you guys using a VNC/remote desktop client for your Macs on an iPhone? I downloaded VNC Lite, but it doesn't allow me to scroll through a browser's pages and etc, so the mouse isn't very functional.

lexi

Banned
Just wanted to say BetterTouchTool is awesome, I probably don't even use it to it's full potential, but having expose / show desktop as three finger swipe up/down is soooo good.

(Magic Mouse, btw)

Top Bottom