• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Myzer

I just sat here for the last 15 minutes trying to think of what to post after seeing this movie. Holy fucking shit. What a lesson in making a movie.

It will not win awards. But it damn well should. As a piece of art it stands high. George Miller, take a fucking bow.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Just read Maddox's review of this movie. Had no interest in seeing it till he gave it 100/5.

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=mad_max_hell_yeah

For those that saw it, is it that good?

Its good, but his post like much of the posts in this thread are so overblown hyperbolic its not even funny.

Like the movie was really good, but can we let it breath for maybe even a month before we declare it the best movie ever? Right now, it has all the makings of being in the GAF hate list in a bout 6 months to a year, like other super popular very well done action movies of the past decade.

Toa TAK

Banned
Its good, but his post like much of the posts in this thread are so overblown hyperbolic its not even funny.

Like the movie was really good, but can we let it breath for maybe even a month before we declare it the best movie ever? Right now, it has all the makings of being in the GAF hate list in a bout 6 months to a year, like other super popular very well done action movies of the past decade.
That's why you gotta enjoy the love it's getting on this board while it lasts.

Totakeke

Combat irrationality with irrationality? I can't speak for others, but I think my praise for the movie is perfectly rational, sir.

Jonm1010

Banned

Gaf hate threads aren't really a metric to worry about. Gaf has attention seeking hate threads for any good movie.

I dot think there has been a critically or gaf praised film that hasn't had a subsequent hate thread.

longdi

Banned
Watched it and truly enjoy the action! Some shots look straight out of an anime!

Movie studios need to get this director to do their action cuts. I like how brutal and believable the action is, no shakey cam to hide your shit cinematography skills! Car combat, hand combat, all in focus, even when Max was fighting Mr Guitar, i can appreciate the action clearly!

The world lore is also nice and believable too. Really an enjoyable ride!

Though as a chase film, i prefer apocalypto.

My only beef is Hardy must have Wolverine genes or something...

And why is this movie R rated? There were no nipples or really bad gore afaicr.

Stronty

Any word on an unrated Bluray? They were aiming to get a PG13 rating, so there must be a bit of gore that got cut.. even Immortan Joe's corpse was only shown briefly in a wide shot.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on an unrated Bluray? They were aiming to get a PG13 rating, so there must be a bit of gore that got cut.. even Immortan Joe's corpse was only shown briefly in a wide shot.
This is Miller's preferred cut. There was a PG-13 cut produced that digitally removed blood, but it tested worse than the R rated version, which was ultimately the one that was released.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Watched it for the second time.

I gotta tell you, I was even more pumped up this time around, esp during the
storm
sequence. Heart was racing like crazy.

So many good things about the movie. So much action, so much fucking chaos!

If there is one criticism, it's that you don't get to
see how Max nailed that guy who got blinded by the sniper shot
Would have liked to see how that played down. I forget about this bit completely when I watched the movie the first time around.

But fuck, I want to watch it for the third time now. Maybe on LieMax this time. :p

Jonm1010

Banned
You should totally see it, it didn't have hate threads for a reason.
It will or it will get its equivalent of shit posts in another thread of praise and awareness reaches a bit higher and I do vaguely remember some less then stellar posts. Though I could be misremembering. Nothing egregious though. Yet.

But whiplash stayed under the radar for gaf tastes. Which under the radar is kind of like the shield that keeps you out of that mess.

SFenton

Saw it for a second time Thursday, maybe a third time next week! One question- what are the War Boys chanting at the beginning of the movie?

Lorcain

I'm sure I'm not anywhere near the first to make the comparison but the War Boys really are just Warhammer 40k Ork Boyz through and through. Love 'em.
That's why they're so badass. They're like Warhammer 40k Ork Warboys mixed with The Kurgen from Highlander, wrapped in metal loving, car worshiping Viking warrior.

i think this movie would really have benefited from a very prominent bad guy who is immortan joe's right hand man

immortans son, nathan jones might have been that but he wasnt any more a threat than the rest of the bad guys

it would be way more exciting if there was a character you gotta really keep your eyes open for

like wez

madmaxxbadguy.jpg

this motherfucker was scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkSyF7tNgQ

My friend said/accepted that this is the best Warhammer film he'll likely ever see

That was my thought on the drive home from the cinema. And I'm kinda fine with that. I don't see how the essence of Orkiness could be captured any better, even with CGI or practical suits. I feel like I've seen an Ork war party in film, and it was glorious.

I just finished reading the artbook. I really sensed that they knew they were making a really damn good movie. You can tell a lot of work was put into this thing.

I watched this movie yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened. They took the Citadel leader's wives to some green place, found it no longer exists and drove back. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

Invictus

Banned
One of the things I read was that Theron was really creeped out by Hardy's method acting. He kept in character on set. And I don't mean in some good way - she legit thought he was a weirdo and they really had differences over it.

Where did you get this from? I have watched multiple behind the scenes videos with Hardy laughing and joking around with the crew.

Prologue

posted same thoughts in spoiler thread:

just got back from seeing this and.. it was OK

and i say that because the sets and props and costume designs, nux and immortal joe were incredible (i felt these two characters were the only ones who understood what was needed for this movie because they just had the mad max flare about them, its not easy to describe this.. but they were fucking spot on)

as for max and furiosa.. wasn't too interesting

i wanted to like this film a lot more because it started off on such an interesting premise but im sad to say that it isnt even all that memorable.. the more the story progressed the more diluted it became

the story had great potential to cause some adventure anxiety which would keep the audience at the edge of their seat and to have an active concern for the lives of our heros but instead it used its time to express more sentimental stuff which really didnt do much imo and actually felt cliched.. the characters could have been more developed to at least earn that

movie overall: 6.5/10

performance by hardy/theron: 5/10

actual story/execution: 4/10

premise: 10/10

sets/props/costumes: 10/10

performances by hugh keays-byrne and nicholas hoult: 10/10

my excitement during the movie peaked when
immortal joe visits his wive cage to find his wives missing, to which im thinking holy shit this guy has got to be pissed
but when the story gets rolling the excitement gradually diminishes because nothing interesting ever happens

Theron a 5/10? I can understand Hardy, even though I don't agree but Theron?

post-37094-Tom-Cruise-WHAT-gif-Oblivion-I-wDog.gif

Toothless

Whiplash should've won.

Well, I do love Whiplash and Grand Budapest a lot too, so I wouldn't have complained there, but Whiplash never had a shot at winning. Boyhood and Budapest though both had legitimate shots that should've won over Birdman.

Funny how a lot of people love Birdman when if we all listened to what Birdman had to say, we wouldn't even give Mad Max a shot. But I digress, I hope this movie starts doing better at the box office.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Top Bottom