• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I saw this again last night with my girlfriend (her first time, she's had a busy couple of weeks) and my showing was completely full. When we left the theater there was a line out the door and down the block of people waiting to get in for one of the next showings. This was on a Friday night in NYC! I really hope it's indicative of the overall repeat viewing potential of the film. The hype isn't dying down any time soon.

Got round to watching this today.

Fucking Outstanding.

From the very first scene its a beautiful film every shot and pan and cut feels like it's intention was to create something breathtaking and for the most part it did exactly that. It's wonderfully stylized almost like 300/RoE but with a different spin.

I've never seen a Mad Max movie before and my attention span for post apocalyptic wastelands isn't huge, typically I find them .. boring. Fallout for example isn't a series I'm really in to. However Fury Road made me fall in love with the setting completely.

The world building is subtle but fantastic. Not having seen the previous movies the 3 primary clan/cults/groups was an entirely new thing to me but they each had a place and the movie did a good job as building them up in a video game boss way. The other factions and those "crows" with the stilts and stuff leave so much to the imagination aswell as what is beyond the salt flats.

The soundtrack was just killer, The blending of horns for the vehicles was top notch as was the bungee cord axe man. Not much else to say other than they nailed that.

Acting wise I was happy with pretty much everyone besides Furiosa(sp?) her part felt kind of flat to me. Hardy was a great Max the way he seemed off beat and legit crazy at times was a treat. Not his best role (that what be This) but good none the less. Nicholas Holt was really good. Maybe my favorite actor in the whole movie.

Finally the way the movie kept being off beat and not having the standard flow was the best bit. It felt like that was maybe how Max perceived the world.

My main take aways was that the movie was

Beautiful
Non-Stop
Off Beat

farisr

I watched this movie yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened. They took the Citadel leader's wives to some green place, found it no longer exists and drove back. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

Well you seemed to have gotten the basic plot, unless you're saying you couldn't understand why certain things are happening, in that case this is my little summary/explanations for the basic plot of the movie.
SPOILERS--

The world's gone to pieces. People just trying to survive. Many people have "half-life" now, as they have some sort of illness or diseases (like cancer) that will kill them while they're young, and some just have genetic defects.

Max is just surviving, Citadel leader's (Joe's) folks, hunt him down (nothing personal, they do this to other people as well) hoping he becomes useful to them, and he did, he was a universal blood donor who is healthy (aside from the mental issues). He becomes a bloodbag for one of these sick people (what a lovely day guy - Nux). The blood transfusion helps him become healthier but it's not a cure.

Joe withholds water to rule over people. he thinks of himself no less than a god to all the people at citadel. The warriors he employs are sick, have little time to live, and are willing to risk their lives because they've been promised heaven. This is why they say "witness" before doing an act that they think will result in their death. They are doing it for Joe, and want to make sure someone is there to witness that act so that the gates of heaven will be open to them. That's how he's built up his army. His relationship with his wives is not consensual, and he had them locked away without any hope of escape. They are just "breeders" there for his pleasure and to give him a worthy offspring that can take his place when he dies.

Furiosa, along with her mother were kidnapped when she was a child. Her mother was killed 3 days after. All the stuff that she's done for Joe has finally taken a toll, and seeing the way Joe's wives were, she decided to do something now that she strong enough, to redeem herself, which means sneaking Joe's wives away to her home, which as far as she remembers, was pretty much like heaven on earth to her. The green place.

The plot is barebones, furiosa on the run from Joe to take his wives to a safe "green" place. Max ends up joining them through the events that happen. Nux, is very receptive so was convinced by one of the wives that Joe is not a god, and that that's not all there is to life, and joins up with Furiosa. They find out the place is not green anymore, they plans on traveling in one direction for a long period of time without any clue as to what lies ahead. Max convinces them not to, that it's a better bet to go back to the citadel and turn that into a green place. Then they end up killing Joe and take the citadel, will probably be establishing a more stable society, help the people out there, and hope to turn that into a green place.

That's what I got out of it at least.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I watched this movie yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened. They took the Citadel leader's wives to some green place, found it no longer exists and drove back. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

There's a chase , with very cool scenes involving vehicles , and nice production design. No need to over-think simplicity. Not all films should aspire to be prominent narratives. It's a well made visual story. Events , characters , emotions , timelines , they all are secondary only to glue Miller's impeccable direction.

That was SO good! This makes the second batshit crazy movie that turned out to be more awesome than I'd ever have expected after Kingsman.

KooopaKid

Banned
Just saw it today. This movie was incredible. The non-stop action sequences, the setting, the weird characters, yeah it's a new classic. I wasn't expecting it to be that crazy, I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. And nothing looked like CG, everything felt real.
It's the best movie I've seen this year along with Whiplash.

rhino4evr

So what's the consensus ...3D or regular IMAX?

Also I wouldn't be too concerned with the box office, I have a feeling this is a title that will make a boat load of money on the home video market.

Lunar15

i think this movie would really have benefited from a very prominent bad guy who is immortan joe's right hand man

immortans son, nathan jones might have been that but he wasnt any more a threat than the rest of the bad guys

it would be way more exciting if there was a character you gotta really keep your eyes open for

like wez

this motherfucker was scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkSyF7tNgQ

I actually kind of agree with this. My only problem with the film really just kind of stems from the lack of direct threat from either Immortan Joe himself or some kind of right hand man. For a time, I thought Slit was going to be this, and he kind of was, but not fully.

i also must say i didnt like hardy as max at all, what was with the growly voice and the grunting? that's a total tom hardy thing.. and he was method acting lol

mel gibsons mad max had a clear handsome voice

and what's with charlize not using an australian accent?

this movie lacked in australian accents, especially from charlize.. she just wanted to look badass

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the aussie slang in this movie is absurd and then hilarious and then ridiculous and then hilarious

It was gonna be ledger before Hardy

The accent would have been different but I think the performance would have been more or less similar. Miller wanted a feral dog for max in this film. He kind of just grunts and looks a bit nutty but it works

Makes him look like a force of nature imo, just enters the story and leaves

ledger was pretty close friends with mel gibson too

i think he would have been miles and miles better than hardy

7587340c3aa7cf0ec008fab3f4b6061e.jpg

blog240209_mel1.jpg

you ever see this motherfucker so happy anywhere else? damn

Tbf Ledger was not on another level until he spent some minutes being Joker in that one movie. In fact he was completely forgettable up until that one role.

Hardy's done more of note in his career than Ledger managed.

I like Hardy and I'm really glad they went with him.
Ledger is alright I guess. I've never been all that impressed with him but he wasn't terrible.

Game4life

Banned
Bronson and Locke are phenomenal. Hardy is an excellent actor. I liked him in Drop as well. I think he should stop taking roles that cover his face and stop doing those weird accents in these big budget movies. He is very very talented and really showcases it in these smaller flicks. I hope he does the same in the big budget ones. I am looking forward to Legend.

autoduelist

Massive Mad Max fan.
Massive post-apocalyptic car combat fan, in general, really (I mean, avatar and name check).

I had hoped this would be at least be a 'good' movie for Mad Max fans like me. You know, something I'd dig because I was into the genre. I secretly hoped for a masterpiece of the genre.

I didn't expect something that would transcend the genre and just be a pure masterpiece.

Wow.

I especially loved how they
focused on the cults of the gangs themselves, like the war boys
and how, despite being completely over-the-top to the Nth degree, everything felt 'right' within the confines of the fantastical post-apocalyptic world. Nothing felt out of place or silly -- it just worked. It made sense. It was brilliant.

Going to see it again tonight. If I didn't have a kid and a wife I think I'd live at the theater for a couple days.

I hear Hardy signed on for 3 more? Hell yeah. [sprays mouth with chrome paint to prepare]

---

Oh, and Hardy was perfect as a broken Max. But I've been a fan of his since Bronson.

Andodalf

Banned
So am I correct in saying that
Joe didn't kill the old lady in the breeders room, it's her we see by him in the car, and see her again when the doc cuts the baby out?
This is something I thought I noticed on my second viewing. If true that he did this, it really deepens the character IMO.

hamchan

Tbf Ledger was not on another level until he spent some minutes being Joker in that one movie. In fact he was completely forgettable up until that one role.

Hardy's done more of note in his career than Ledger managed.

I mean, all you need is one performance to prove yourself to the acting world and Ledger's performance as the Joker is considered one of the best villain portrayals of all time. I don't think Hardy has done anything that has reached that level yet.

Though saying that I thought he was fine as Mad Max.

So am I correct in saying that
Joe didn't kill the old lady in the breeders room, it's her we see by him in the car, and see her again when the doc cuts the baby out?
This is something I thought I noticed on my second viewing. If true that he did this, it really deepens the character IMO.

yes

ogbg

I especially loved how they
focused on the cults of the gangs themselves, like the war boys
and how, despite being completely over-the-top to the Nth degree, everything felt 'right' within the confines of the fantastical post-apocalyptic world. Nothing felt out of place or silly -- it just worked. It made sense. It was brilliant.

Agreed

Trey

That's my blood. That's my head. That's my jacket. That's my car. Them Citadel boys had Max feeling some type of way all movie.

This movie is so fun. Something new I noticed was
that Furiousa rang Max's ears on two occasions: when they were fighting with Nux chained up to Max, and when Furiousa steadied a sniper shot with Max's shoulder. Those two shots reflect the tone of their relationship in each respective arc of the film.

After finally seeing the movie, I gotta say I'm kinda baffled by the 98% RT score. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie. But it just seems like the kind of movie critics should hate. Action after action after action, and not really much in the way of story or character development.

As for what I thought about it, it was okay. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but I don't really feel the need to rush out and see it again or anything.

After finally seeing the movie, I gotta say I'm kinda baffled by the 98% RT score. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie. But it just seems like the kind of movie critics should hate. Action after action after action, and not really much in the way of story or character development.

As for what I thought about it, it was okay. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but I don't really feel the need to rush out and see it again or anything.

How do people keep saying this?

Top Bottom