• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

AniHawk

okay so i just finished watching it. at the end i had huge smile.

not kidding when i say it's the feel-good movie of the year.

One of the things I read was that Theron was really creeped out by Hardy's method acting. He kept in character on set. And I don't mean in some good way - she legit thought he was a weirdo and they really had differences over it.

I remember reading there was some friction on the set.

That's fucking weird though.

CassSept

I suppose this is how it felt to witness Cameron in his prime.

I don't really enjoy action movies. Unless they are well made they usually bore me and most directors don't know how to shoot a well-done action scene. As a random example, I've (only) recently watched the first Iron Man, which I greatly enjoyed until the final battle where it was just weightless CGI suits flung around. I generally like Christopher Nolan's movies but well, action scenes are not his forte. Going a bit further back, The Matrix was obviously great, but it was due to much more than action scenes. Even the aforementioned James Cameron classics, while I can appreciate the craftsmanship, I never could have really gotten into these films.

Mad Max: Fury Road completely redefines my stance on action movies. It's a movie unlike anything I've ever saw and beyond it's insanity it's a legitimately fantastic movie. I hate car chases in movies. Mad Max is basically one big chase scene and I loved every moment of it. Every set piece is brought to it's logical extreme. Camera work is fantastic. Sound design is exquisite. Costumes are ludicrous, but consistent. There is barely any story to speak of, and in this case it works. It works incredibly well because the movie is clearly a product of love, made by a director who cares, who has his vision and will stop at nothing to get it made.

It's a miracle that this movie came to be. An uncompromising R-rated action movie with a budget of $150 mil? I have no idea how it could have happened. It has pretty much no right to exist, yet it does, and I'm incredibly glad it does. At the end of the movie, as
Nux is about to die
he whispers the words that were repeated by the cultists throughout the movie, "Witness me". In this case it's not only him repeating the phrase, but Miller talking to the audience. He has created his masterpiece, a true magnum opus of the action genre. This is an unparalleled work that will be remembered for at the very least decades, and rightfully so.

tl;dr: 10/10, will watch again

Timbuktu

I'm sure we'll see generic period drama #3823 get 9 nominations, win nothing, then be instantly forgotten.

I'm not sure why people say that, we hardly get that many adult dramas nowadays from holiday and a lot of those we only get around awards season. I think Mad Max actually has a decent chance at getting noms, but it's not a film that really needs that kind of recognition.

It's a movie about an escaped slave and a handicapped woman who overcome the challenges of an unjust society. That's Oscar material if I ever saw it.
If it doesn't contain a white guy acting as if he:
- was a genius with a mental issue
- was gay
- had AIDS
- was struggling with middle age, which also was an allegory for some role he was famous for in the 90s

or...

- it took 12 years to make (actually, it could get this close one)
- has an attractive woman in shit-ton of make up to make her look unattracive

...then it ain't getting an Oscar.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If it doesn't contain a white guy acting as if he:
- was a genius with a mental issue

Mad Max.

- was gay

I didn't see any evidence that he was straight.

- had AIDS

He probably has radiation poisoning.

- was struggling with middle age, which also was an allegory for some role he was famous for in the 90s

This is the 37 year old version of a character who debuted as a 20-something....

- it took 12 years to make (actually, it could get this close one)

Boyhood: Fury Road

- has an attractive woman in shit-ton of make up to make her look unattracive

Theron could be a supermodel, yet plays a bald amputee.

...then it ain't getting an Oscar.

Oscar pls.

Brought dad with me to my second viewing, he wasn't too impressed, but I can't shout "mediocre" to his face.

image.php

Irnbru

Ride that vroom to the gates of Valhalla, brother!!! * sprays you with chrome *

✨✨✨

🚜🚜🚜🚛🚜🚜🚜💣🎸

Witness sister!!!. I love the fact that their prayer signals make a v8. Something that I hadn't really caught before. Just all the details so shiny and chrome.

🚜🚜🚜🚛🚜🚜🚜💣🎸

Witness sister!!!. I love the fact that their prayer signals make a v8. Something that I hadn't really caught before. Just all the details so shiny and chrome.

OMG get out of here! I didn't realize that!!!

Eight fingers interlocking to form V!!!

Fuck meeeee sideways! Such incredible little details. I weep at the genius of this movie q.q

I'm going to see it again as well next week. All my love for the metal glory of this movie.

\m/

Irnbru

OMG get out of here! I didn't realize that!!!

Eight fingers interlocking to form V!!!

Fuck meeeee sideways! Such incredible little details. I weep at the genius of this movie q.q

I'm going to see it again as well next week. All my love for the metal glory of this movie.

m/
Bwahahaha yes!

Honestly, the best is hearing the reactions of people to moments in the movie and feeling their reactions, it's glorious. And having a full house was just awesome at a ten at night showing.

As a metal head, we'll still a metal head just not always rocking the jeans and green jacket with a maiden t-shirt.... This movie is just pure metal. Ahh! Live, die, and live again!

Watched it again last night and I love how it only seems to get better the more you watch it.

Also noticed something very cool, after a certain event, Joe is screaming and the mouth of his mask actually opens. I thought that was a pretty cool touch.

And after a second viewing, I've seen the light...Splendid is by far the best wife.

Saw it again this week which I didn't think I'd do, I enjoyed it just as much.

I also just noticed one of his visions caused him to raise his hand to his head, which was soon repeated when he got shot in the head with the crossbow. Love little details like that.

Bwahahaha yes!

Honestly, the best is hearing the reactions of people to moments in the movie and feeling their reactions, it's glorious. And having a full house was just awesome at a ten at night showing.

As a metal head, we'll still a metal head just not always rocking the jeans and green jacket with a maiden t-shirt.... This movie is just pure metal. Ahh! Live, die, and live again!

Aaaah so awesome 🙆

Truth be told I was never a metal head and I never did quite understood the heart of metal until FURY ROAD exploded in my skull 💀

I'm more of a pop and classical girl... But FR inducted me to the Halls of Valhalla 🎸🚀🚗🎸

And it's a glorious, hi-octane, MAD ride that I don't ever want to get off... EVER.

*V8 salute*

Philippo

Finally went yesterday, after all my friends already went and and made me feel like the only kid that doesn't have the new cool toy.

Was expecting to like it, but not to be blown away on such scale.

Biggest compliment i could make to it: i went to with my dad and he always falls asleep mid-movies, this is the first time i've seen him on the edge of his seat for the whole 2 hours.

Saya

Super happy to see so many new fans of the film. Welcome warboys!

Wanted to catch the 4DX showing this weekend but it's been replaced by Tomorrowland. :(

Toa TAK

Banned
It's a movie about an escaped slave and a handicapped woman who overcome the challenges of an unjust society. That's Oscar material if I ever saw it.
Also just wanted to say, even though he's not an old person, I used this description to convince a co-worker to see this film. Also convinced him to go in blind without watching a trailer. (And that I would pay him back his ticket if it sucked).

Irnbru

Aaaah so awesome 🙆

Truth be told I was never a metal head and I never did quite understood the heart of metal until FURY ROAD exploded in my skull 💀

I'm more of a pop and classical girl... But FR inducted me to the Halls of Valhalla 🎸🚀🚗🎸

And it's a glorious, hi-octane, MAD ride that I don't ever want to get off... EVER.

*V8 salute*

Bwahahaha, I'm classical to the max ( and my collection of a 100+ classical vinyl)... Totally had a metal opera phase. Actually, now that I think of it. That's what this reminds me of. A glorious metal opera, the Symphony of the Maddening Max. Oh my god, I can't wait for the full black and white version of the movie with only the soundtrack playing.... Ahhh.

Salute! Ride to Valhalla!

bundaberg

Banned
Just read Maddox's review of this movie. Had no interest in seeing it till he gave it 100/5.

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=mad_max_hell_yeah

For those that saw it, is it that good?

But then the grannies turned out to be snipers and more badass road warriors and you realize that the reason they're so old and dry is probably because they spent decades just scissoring in the desert

haha almost spat out my toast. And literal boobie-trap lol,

Die Hard, Terminator 2, Aliens, .......... and Mad Max: Fury Road.

This is where the movie belongs. Standing at the top together with the other greats, looking down at current Hollywood peasant movies and yelling WITNESS!

zoukka

Die Hard, Terminator 2, Aliens, .......... and Mad Max: Fury Road.

This is where the movie belongs. Standing at the top together with the other greats, looking down at current Hollywood peasant movies and yelling WITNESS!

Road Warrior was there decades ago already tho.

Alpende

I'm going to see it today, normal screening with mandatory 3D which sucks but hey, all these positive comments have me hyped!

Top Bottom