• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I watched this movie yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened. They took the Citadel leader's wives to some green place, found it no longer exists and drove back. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

this is pretty much it

i wanted more as well

like a super road experienced right hand man of immortan joe with a shit ton of armor and spike shoulder pads

drives a monster truck but the body of the monster truck is a fucking tank

and he drives with another co-driver so when he wants to climb out of the tank monster truck his other driver can keep driving

and this guy is fucking huge but agile as hell and wears armor like this:

170px-Metal_Armor.jpg

and everybody is afraid of him because he can tear parts off a vehicle like its a chicken wing

and he can hop from vehicle to vehicle and has a grip like a vice

and also he carries missiles

he does anything immortan joe says because he legit believes immortan joe is the god king of the wasteland

imagine how much more exciting it would be if they were running away from something like this

I watched this movie yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened. They took the Citadel leader's wives to some green place, found it no longer exists and drove back. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

That's what really happened.

HOW it happened is what makes the movie great.

A movie is not just a collection of plot points.

That's what really happened.

HOW it happened is what makes the movie great.

A movie is not just a collection of plot points.

Jaws is basically just that a shark eats some people, the town won't close the beaches, and then the shark eats more people. Then the town gets desperate and hires a crazy man to kill the shark, and they go out on a boat and kill the shark.

It sounds really dumb when put that way, but it doesn't stop the movie from being a masterpiece.

I watched Terminator yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened. Some killer robot from the future chased a woman around for 40 minutes, she had sex with this guy, more chase scenes... and then it got crushed. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

So, I saw Star Wars yesterday. So this kid takes off with an old man, gets sucked into a giant beach ball, escapes the beach ball, and then flies back and blows it up. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

I was gonna watch ALIENS, but someone told me it's just this woman goes out with some Marines to a planet, there's aliens on it, they fuck up some marines, and then she fucks up the aliens, and they leave. I'm like... I dunno. Doesn't sound like much.

Just read Armond White's review...oh man, I had forgotten he was still out there, but he's still as blatantly contrarian as he's ever been, in the middle of his attempt at eviscerating fury road, he drops "by the way Beyond Thunderdome was the best of the first 3 movies"

I regret giving him the click.

I watched Terminator yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened. Some killer robot from the future chased a woman around for 40 minutes, she had sex with this guy, more chase scenes... and then it got crushed. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

So, I saw Star Wars yesterday. So this kid takes off with an old man, gets sucked into a giant beach ball, escapes the beach ball, and then flies back and blows it up. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

I was gonna watch ALIENS, but someone told me it's just this woman goes out with some Marines to a planet, there's aliens on it, they fuck up some marines, and then she fucks up the aliens, and they leave. I'm like... I dunno. Doesn't sound like much.

This exactly what I was talking about on twitter.

Just came out of seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark. What a piece of shit. The whole movie is just Indy and this chick looking for an Ark, they find it, the Nazis take it and they kill themselves with. Like, Indy might as well not have been involved.

what a pointless fucking movie

So, I was watching Casablanca the other day, and this cool guy runs a bar, but then his ex girlfriend shows up with her new boyfriend. They get into trouble, but the guy is cool so he helps her ex even though she has the hots for him. But in the end, he sends her off with her current boyfriend. All I got from it was that this Rick guy is forever alone and beta as hell.

Rear Window. Dude sits in his house. Looks out windows. Perry Mason is like "Stop lookin at me" George Bailey is like "Fuck you, Perry." Nobody even gets in a car. I don't get why it's called Rear Window.

I would but I still can't get over nothing happening in Blade Runner.

Did you see his last movie, Alien? Like, the first hour is just fuckin' NOTHING. Literally nothing happens. They land on a planet, an alien gets on board and starts killing them, but of course Weaver survives. Like that's the whole movie.

"wow"

Timeaisis

So I just watched some move called Dr Strangelove. They try to stop a nuclear war but then it happens anyway. What a pointless piece of garbage movie.

Just watched Taxi Driver. All it is is some loser driving a cab and then he likes some young girl. Then he gets a mohawk and shoots a bunch of people. What was going on in this movie?

EDIT: It might be best if we got back on subject before the MODs come in and scream, "WITNESS ME!"

I'm dying in tears of laughter. Will make a compilation of these awesome posts in a bit. Once I stop giggling like an idiot.

XD

The legendary start:

GLORIOUS POSTS:

Jaws is basically just that a shark eats some people, the town won't close the beaches, and then the shark eats more people. Then the town gets desperate and hires a crazy man to kill the shark, and they go out on a boat and kill the shark.

It sounds really dumb when put that way, but it doesn't stop the movie from being a masterpiece.

I just saw this Mulholland Drive movie. I don't even know.

Just came out of seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark. What a piece of shit. The whole movie is just Indy and this chick looking for an Ark, they find it, the Nazis take it and they kill themselves with. Like, Indy might as well not have been involved.

what a pointless fucking movie

Man, nobody even fucking fire walked in this stupid Twin Peaks movie. Or maybe they did? I dunno, lol.

Nice titties tho.

So, I was watching Casablanca the other day, and this cool guy runs a bar, but then his ex girlfriend shows up with her new boyfriend. They get into trouble, but the guy is cool so he helps her ex even though she has the hots for him. But in the end, he sends her off with her current boyfriend. All I got from it was that this Rick guy is forever alone and beta as hell.

I would but I still can't get over nothing happening in Blade Runner.

Rear Window. Dude sits in his house. Looks out windows. Perry Mason is like "Stop lookin at me" George Bailey is like "Fuck you, Perry." Nobody even gets in a car. I don't get why it's called Rear Window.

Did you see his last movie, Alien? Like, the first hour is just fuckin' NOTHING. Literally nothing happens. They land on a planet, an alien gets on board and starts killing them, but of course Weaver survives. Like that's the whole movie.

"wow"

So I just watched some move called Dr Strangelove. They try to stop a nuclear war but then it happens anyway. What a pointless piece of garbage movie.

Just watched Taxi Driver. All it is is some loser driving a cab and then he likes some young girl. Then he gets a mohawk and shoots a bunch of people. What was going on in this movie?

EDIT: It might be best if we got back on subject before the MODs come in and scream, "WITNESS ME!"

Just saw Shawshank Redemption. This guy is wrongly accused, goes to jail, and escapes. Not much else going on.

Just saw Interstellar.
The earth has gone to shit because we've been terrible as a race and we have to figure out a way to survive so then there is this ghost in a house that the guy from the Lincoln commercials lives in and whoa it gave them coordinates to this place way out in the middle of nowhere that just happens to be NASA, where they explain that the earth has gone to shit because we've been terrible as a race and we have to figure out a way to survive so then the Lincoln guy leaves his family and goes to space through a wormhole created by ???? and then they explain that time near a black hole is warped so time moves differently for them than people back on earth but I think they already explained that about an hour ago while back on earth but I guess they really needed to hammer it home because IMPORTANT so they go to a planet where they think it might be cool for humans to live and oh shit it's totally not and then there is a conversation where they explain that time near a black hole is warped so time moves differently for them than people back on earth so people are earth are old now in minutes for them because TIME MOVES DIFFERENTLY then they go to more planets and then A WILD MATT DAMON appears and he's a total douchebag who just wants to go to another planet because he fucked up before when he picked this one then we go into a tesseract where we find out the ghost was actually Lincoln Man leaving messages in different parts of the past. Then he goes back to our solar system and his daughter is old, because time near a black hole is warped so time moves differently for them than people back on earth so people are earth are old now.

Gran Torino is about a misanthropic old man who catches an Asian kid trying to steal his car and uses him as slave labor as compensation. He then pisses off some gangsters, gets himself got, and the kid ends up with the car anyway. If he had just let the kid steal the car in the first place, we all could've saved ourselves at least an hour.

Planet of the Apes. A bunch of dipshits go into space and then come back to the same planet again without noticing.

WITNESSED

And yesh, on that note: time to go back to the War Rig and vroom ahead~

Just saw Shawshank Redemption. This guy is wrongly accused, goes to jail, and escapes. Not much else going on.

Just saw Interstellar.
The earth has gone to shit because we've been terrible as a race and we have to figure out a way to survive so then there is this ghost in a house that the guy from the Lincoln commercials lives in and whoa it gave them coordinates to this place way out in the middle of nowhere that just happens to be NASA, where they explain that the earth has gone to shit because we've been terrible as a race and we have to figure out a way to survive so then the Lincoln guy leaves his family and goes to space through a wormhole created by ???? and then they explain that time near a black hole is warped so time moves differently for them than people back on earth but I think they already explained that about an hour ago while back on earth but I guess they really needed to hammer it home because IMPORTANT so they go to a planet where they think it might be cool for humans to live and oh shit it's totally not and then there is a conversation where they explain that time near a black hole is warped so time moves differently for them than people back on earth so people are earth are old now in minutes for them because TIME MOVES DIFFERENTLY then they go to more planets and then A WILD MATT DAMON appears and he's a total douchebag who just wants to go to another planet because he fucked up before when he picked this one then we go into a tesseract where we find out the ghost was actually Lincoln Man leaving messages in different parts of the past. Then he goes back to our solar system and his daughter is old, because time near a black hole is warped so time moves differently for them than people back on earth so people are earth are old now.

Quixzlizx

Gran Torino is about a misanthropic old man who catches an Asian kid trying to steal his car and uses him as slave labor as compensation. He then pisses off some gangsters, gets himself got, and the kid ends up with the car anyway. If he had just let the kid steal the car in the first place, we all could've saved ourselves at least an hour.

Nah, I just meant if that's the last one of those goofs we're going to do, that's a good one to stop at. It cracked me up.

Anyway, it's just *weird* to me that you could describe Mad Max: Fury Road as not having much of anything happen in it. Like, that just doesn't register as making any real sense to me.

There is SO MUCH happening in it. At all times. Even when the movie's slowed down and things aren't blowing up.

Guys, I watched 2001 yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened.
Some monkeys touch a black thing. Then humans go to some planet. They touch black thing. A dude has a spat with an AI. Then he goes on a rainbow road. Touches a black thing and becomes a babby. Babby watches Earth. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

Actually, this looks legit now lol.

Lol, this thread took a wild turn. Anyway, I watched it for the 5th times and probably my last before I get busy for the next week and a half. Hopefully by then, it's still shown in the theaters cuz I really want my cousin to witness this (he's still need to finish his finals and all).

Guys, I watched 2001 yesterday. I did not understand a single thing that happened.
Some monkeys touch a black thing. Then humans go to some planet. They touch black thing. A dude has a spat with an AI. Then he goes on a rainbow road. Touches a black thing and becomes a babby. Babby watches Earth. That's all I got out of it. Can someone expand more on what really happened?

Actually, this looks legit now lol.
lmao this is great.

Toxi

Banned
This movie is soooooooo good.

If Age of Ultron was a movie with no idea of what it was actually about, this was a movie with a laser focus on what it was about.

And it has such good worldbuilding. I want to know more about every detail of this apocalyptic wasteland, every crazy tribe and faction with their own culture.

Gawge

Think I may go see Mad Max for a third time in the cinema.

I would also fully recommend 'The Art of Mad Max: Fury Road" book. Obviously looks incredible, but lots of interesting insights into characters/backstories/continuity etc...

Yes, look closely at all the war boys

Definitely makes Nux a lot more tragic than I initially thought he was. The reason he was so hell bent on dying in a blaze of glory was because he didn't want to die of cancer and not just because he was being manipulated.

Nokterian

Just saw it a few hours ago. It was entertaining but nothing special really, i don't get the high praise and yes i do like good action and explosions done right but holy hell the editing is just the worst with speed up sections..i don't like that. Went in with high expectations but lowered them when watching.

And this was 18+? Didn't seem like it..expected a lot more blood and gore but that didn't really happen.

Skab

Finally saw this last night and fucking loved it.

Hopefully it wont take Miller as long to get the next one out.

Just saw it a few hours ago. It was entertaining but nothing special really, i don't get the high praise and yes i do like good action and explosions done right but holy hell the editing is just the worst with speed up sections..i don't like that. Went in with high expectations but lowered them when watching.

And this was 18+? Didn't seem like it..expected a lot more blood and gore but that didn't really happen.

15+ in the UK. And the editing was wonderful. Always a sense of what's going on and where it's happening.

Top Bottom