• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

gabbo

Just saw it a few hours ago. It was entertaining but nothing special really, i don't get the high praise and yes i do like good action and explosions done right but holy hell the editing is just the worst with speed up sections..i don't like that. Went in with high expectations but lowered them when watching.

And this was 18+? Didn't seem like it..expected a lot more blood and gore but that didn't really happen.

I don't understand what you disliked about the editing?
It's not like it's Bourne/Paul Greengrass-style frenetic editing and all the action is implied through quick cuts instead of actually being shown on screen.

This and Edgar Wright movies show there's a way to do rapid editing and zooms while still being coherent. It's exhilirating when done well.

iDjwxFKdWBSdq.gif

Just saw The Big Lebowski. Basically some guys get mad at some dude and them some dudes go bowling and the dude drinks a lot of white Russians and something happens but it all turns out to not matter and then they go bowling again and drink more white russians. I don't get it.

Cosmozone

I'm gonna see this a second time today. 2D this time. Damn, all that IMAX and Dbox talk in this thread made me envious. I even didn't know what Dbox was until I read the thread, but it sounds awesome and perfectly suitable for Fury Road. IMAX would be theoretically possible, although bumping the price for a ticket to about 150€ or more, lol (not the ticket itself, of course).

duckroll

It was just as good the second time round. Amazingly tight editing, great pacing, fantastic choreography. More of an epic piece of performance art than a traditional film. sogood.gif

George Miller should adapt Fury Road into a stage musical and take it around the world.

Quixzlizx

It was just as good the second time round. Amazingly tight editing, great pacing, fantastic choreography. More of an epic piece of performance art than a traditional film. sogood.gif

George Miller should adapt Fury Road into a stage musical and take it around the world.

As long as the guitar actually shoots flames on stage.

♪
There's a bright golden haze on the wasteland,
There's bright blue air in the sky,
The temperature is as high as a polecat's eye,
An' it looks like its climbin' clear up to the sky.

Chorus:
Oh what a lovely morning,
Oh what a lovely day,
I've got a lovely feeling,
Furiosa's not getting way.

♫

Dougald

I very rarely go to the cinema due to the obscene pricing at my local (cost me £40 for 3 tickets plus £5 for parking last night), but this was absolutely fantastic and well worth it. Those 2 hours just flew by

I hope that "silent film" version isn't really just the score. The sound design and sound editing on this movie is just as important as the visuals. I don't know that I'd want to watch a version of this movie that doesn't have all those engines going, making their own music regardless what Holkenborg is doing.

duckroll

I hope that "silent film" version isn't really just the score. The sound design and sound editing on this movie is just as important as the visuals. I don't know that I'd want to watch a version of this movie that doesn't have all those engines going, making their own music regardless what Holkenborg is doing.

An isolated soundtrack means just the score. That's what it is. If you don't want it, you don't have to watch that feature! The color design on the film is also extremely important. That doesn't stand in the way of it being B&W. The point of having a B&W isolated score version of the film is to strip away all those enhancements. Yes, they're great things which add a lot to the film, but would it still stand up as a coherent and enjoyable experience without any of that? That is the point of these exercises.

An isolated soundtrack means just the score.

I know what "isolated soundtrack" is. I'm talking specifically about the "silent film" version, which appears to be a completely different file and/or disc on the still-to-come (or likely, still in-production) blu-ray set, which would possibly have it's own audio options. I'm just suggesting that I hope the audio track(s) for that version would also include a sound-effects only (or sound-effects mixed with the score) option, as on the THX-1138 dvd & blu-ray.

I don't know why you took my post as evidence I didn't know what I was talking about or was unsure as to how things like "isolated soundtracks" work.

duckroll

I know what "isolated soundtrack" is. I'm talking specifically about the "silent film" version, which appears to be a completely different file and/or disc on the still-to-come (or likely, still in-production) blu-ray set, which would possibly have it's own audio options. I'm just suggesting that I hope the audio track(s) for that version would also include a sound-effects only (or sound-effects mixed with the score) option, as on the THX-1138 dvd & blu-ray.

I don't know why you took my post as evidence I didn't know what I was talking about or was unsure as to how things like "isolated soundtracks" work.

You should read the original source then:

http://www.slashfilm.com/fury-road-trivia/3/

A while after this talk, during a post-film reception, I spoke with Miller about his affinity for that black and white version of Fury Road. He said that he has demanded a black and white version of Fury Road for the blu-ray, and that version of the film will feature an option to hear just the isolated score as the only soundtrack — the purest and most stripped-down version of Fury Road you can imagine.

He never said "silent film version", he said "black and white with isolated soundtrack". The mention of "silent film version" is a paraphrase of one site reporting on news which came from another site. :p

You should read the original source then:

That probably would have been more helpful as an initial response as opposed to assuming I don't know what an isolated score is. Thanks for linking it.

It doesn't change the fact I would still *also* like an audio track that also has the effects work either isolated out or mixed in with Holkenborg's score, and if they're sticking it on a separate disc (and they probably will, as was done with The Mist) there'd be room for it, should they want to supply that option. But thanks for clearing up the misconception.

Nokterian

I don't understand what you disliked about the editing?
It's not like it's Bourne/Paul Greengrass-style frenetic editing and all the action is implied through quick cuts instead of actually being shown on screen.

It just doesn't work also not in 2d the amount of fps skipping is freaking annoying with those speed up scenes it just feels out of place.

duckroll

That probably would have been more helpful as an initial response as opposed to assuming I don't know what an isolated score is. Thanks for linking it.

It doesn't change the fact I would still *also* like an audio track that also has the effects work either isolated out or mixed in with Holkenborg's score, and if they're sticking it on a separate disc (and they probably will, as was done with The Mist) there'd be room for it, should they want to supply that option. But thanks for clearing up the misconception.

Well, I only assumed because I thought you had read the original article. No offense intended. I was just pointing out that since isolated score was the specific thing mentioned, it is extremely unlikely that they would have sound effects in it. I think more options would be good but honestly, considering how Warner doesn't even want to release an Iron Giant blu-ray with actual features, and what happened with Speed Racer... I dunno if it's worth being hopeful. Maybe if the movie makes a ton of money I guess?

I think more options would be good but honestly, considering how Warner doesn't even want to release an Iron Giant blu-ray with actual features, and what happened with Speed Racer... I dunno if it's worth being hopeful. Maybe if the movie makes a ton of money I guess?

I don't think extra audio tracks cost that much in comparison to things like EPK content, documentaries, and commentaries. If they're already going to put a black & white cut of the movie on a second disc as the primary extra, providing a couple extra audio tracks alongside the isolated score only wouldn't likely add all that much cost aside from having to mix & encode them.

But then again, the whole reason that extra would even be included is because Miller wants a black & white cut with just the score, so even if they were inclined to add the regular soundtrack, along with an effects-only soundtrack as alternative options, they might not do it.

zma1013

So I am taking my brother for the first time today. I only saw it in 2d.

Consensus is still 2d > 3d right?

I'd say 2D because it's a beautiful movie and you don't want that darkened, blurry drawback that comes from most 3D films. This should be seen in the clearest, sharpest picture possible.

duckroll

I don't think extra audio tracks cost that much in comparison to things like EPK content, documentaries, and commentaries. If they're already going to put a black & white cut of the movie on a second disc as the primary extra, providing a couple extra audio tracks alongside the isolated score only wouldn't likely add all that much cost aside from having to mix & encode them.

Well, back when they released Speed Racer, Warner didn't even include lossless audio tracks because they wanted to shit the disc out on a BD25. That's the sort of company we're talking about.

Game4life

Banned
Worried about its box office now. The movie is not releasing in China? :( I dont see this profiting enough to warrant a sequel if that is the case.

Well, back when they released Speed Racer, Warner didn't even include lossless audio tracks because they wanted to shit the disc out on a BD25. That's the sort of company we're talking about.

Warners can make brilliant blu-rays, and they can cheap the fuck out (their Road Warrior blu isn't all that great, either, continuing the tradition from DVD, where Road Warrior was one of the most terrible releases on that format) but I can see why they'd say "Fuck Speed Racer" considering how poorly it did in theaters. Mad Max won't make 200 mil domestic, but it's not going to turf anywhere near as hard as Speed Racer. If they're willing to go with Miller's demand and give him a 2nd disc with a black & white/isolated score version of the film, we're already way better off.

And goddammit talking about the blu-ray this much is making me itchy. I want it now.

wow this movie was amazing. I've never seen anything like this on film. Like from a sheer production stand point, the whole movie is ridiculously impressive. It makes all of the cookie cutter action movies of the last decade or two look like a joke. There's a clear vision in George Miller's head and it's fully realised in the film. It takes a lot of the best parts of the past Mad Max movies and makes an amalgamation that manages to stand on its own. Tom Hardy as Max was good. The role didn't call for a lot of dialogue since it was more physical but he feels Mel Gibson-y. Charlize Theron is super badass, as are the Immortan Joe's wives. And Nux, played by the guy who does young Beast in the X-Men films probably the best character as far as having an arc go. I LIVE. I DIE. I LIVE AGAIN.

Just saw it. I loved it overall. The first twenty-thirty minutes didn't really work for me and everything felt bloated. I guess the necessary exposition didn't really interest me all that much.
Then the movie hit its stride
from the moment Max and Furiosa meet face to face
and it never lets down, right up to the credits.

Really an amazing experience.

jdouglas

Saw the movie pretty recently. I didn't notice any feminist slant, just a movie about a man trying to get the fuck away from some crazy people in the middle of a canyon.

Montresor

Saw the movie pretty recently. I didn't notice any feminist slant, just a movie about a man trying to get the fuck away from some crazy people in the middle of a canyon.

To me the movie is much more about a woman (Furiosa) trying to free five female sex slaves (Immortan Joe's five wives) than about a man trying to escape crazy people in a canyon. When you combine that with Furiosa and the wives meeting with an all-female group of survivors who kick warrior ass very late in the movie, there is an obvious feminist slant to the movie.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To me the movie is much more about a woman (Furiosa) trying to free five female sex slaves (Immortan Joe's five wives) than about a man trying to escape crazy people in a canyon. When you combine that with Furiosa and the wives meeting with an all-female group of survivors who kick warrior ass very late in the movie, there is an obvious feminist slant to the movie.
It's feminism in the real sense... Breaking women out of an artificial system imposed by a corrupt power-structure.

It's not the fake feminism that people invent in their minds and often think they're against, so I can tell why some people don't recognize it.

Dany

Banned
I laughed so hard when Max and Furiosa were talking on why they were doing the thing. Max asks her why she is doing XYZ and she stares longingly outside the truck and say "Redemption."

It was so corny and hilarious but also perfect haha.

Top Bottom