• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Jarrod38

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Furiosa-Scream-Black-and-White.jpg

Awesome.

Hell yeah.
1w2mO4v.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cool. And does Road Warrior require seeing the original? Or is it kind of like Fury Road in that way?

It's one of the least attached sequels to an original movie that you can find. The reality is completely different. You can easily skip to the Road Warrior.

It's worth seeing the original Mad Mad just to be wowed that it spawned a post-apocalyptic franchise, when it's barely just "crime and lawlessness in the future".

You can go in cold with Road Warrior. It has an opening narration of the events before the film just in case as well.

It's one of the least attached sequels to an original movie that you can find. The reality is completely different. You can easily skip to the Road Warrior.

It's worth seeing the original Mad Mad just to be wowed that it spawned a post-apocalyptic franchise, when it's barely just "crime and lawlessness in the future".

Nice. Thanks!

To me the movie is much more about a woman (Furiosa) trying to free five female sex slaves (Immortan Joe's five wives) than about a man trying to escape crazy people in a canyon. When you combine that with Furiosa and the wives meeting with an all-female group of survivors who kick warrior ass very late in the movie, there is an obvious feminist slant to the movie.

Just got out of watching it. I agree. Felt like Max was sorta along for the ride, but I loved that. And the feminist slant I definitely felt was there, and I was glad they didn't throw any bullshit into it. It seemed entirely show don't tell.

Felt like it was the Mad Max George Miller was really wanting to make. A beautiful, no bullshit action film.

I really liked it. Only the music on occasion I had some issue with.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Speaking of Road Warrior I just rewatched it this morning for the first time in like eight years and holy shit does that movie hold up. I was shocked at how excellent it still is

Cosmozone

Still felt the full intensity of the film after the second viewing. But at least I now can stop thinking day and night about it (I think). But it's so much fun reading this thread and video reviews and whatnot and see all those people share the same enthusiasm about it.

The audience in my viewing seemed to like it, too. Sighs of relief after intense sequences and discussions afterwards. Theater was about half full, a little less, which is not bad for the second week and in original language (Germany here). Although such screenings are to a significant part being attended by people of other nationalities that are more comfortable with English than with the usual German dub.

Speaking of Road Warrior I just rewatched it this morning for the first time in like eight years and holy shit does that movie hold up. I was shocked at how excellent it still is

the benefit of very dangerous practical stuntwork and a pretty damn good vision for an action movie.

the good ones always hold up, i truly believe out of all the blockbusters in the last 10-15 years this will be one of the few that will still be more than fine 20 years from now.

$211m worldwide now. Production budget was 150, safe to assume it's made up for it's promotional budget now too?

I don't know that it's safe to assume that, really. The marketing campaign was pretty large. Plus they don't get all that money. The general rule of thumb is 2.5x the reported budget and the film is likely to start seeing a profit.

BocoDragon

It's ok. I think there is a lot to love about it... It's basically a Man With No Name movie set in the post apocalypse. I'm a fan.

But when you say "it's great" in the context of this thread, I bet people will overhype it in their minds. It's a fun B movie. It's not quite a Star Wars or a Night of The Living Dead or some other old movie that will blow you away as if it were new.

Fury Road is a greater accomplishment in 2015 than Road Warrior was in 1981. I feel like George Miller kept refining his concept throughout these films and we're really seeing the benefits in this new one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's ok. I think there is a lot to love about it... It's basically a Man With No Name movie set in the post apocalypse. I'm a fan.

But when you say "it's great" in the context of this thread, I bet people will overhype it. It's a fun B movie.

Fury Road is a greater accomplishment in 2015 than Road Warrior was in 1981. I feel like George Miller kept refining his concept throughout these films and we're really seeing the benefits in this new one.

Miller has definitely been refining both his craft and his concepts throughout the movies, but in a lot of ways Road Warrior feels like its trying to accomplish a lot of what Fury Road does with the resources of the 1980s.

BocoDragon

Miller has definitely been refining both his craft and his concepts throughout the movies, but in a lot of ways Road Warrior feels like its trying to accomplish a lot of what Fury Road does with the resources of the 1980s.
Yeah, that's true.

Even the first Mad Max was basically trying to accomplish the same thing, but he didn't have the budget or effort to really portray the "apocalypse/future" element. And the roving gangs weren't yet as colourful.

What I think is great about Fury Road isn't necessarily the concept, though... It's the careful attention to each shot and how they are sequenced together. It's like if Leone-style film craftsmanship were applied to a very modern, post-Matrix action bonanza.

I don't know that it's safe to assume that, really. The marketing campaign was pretty large. Plus they don't get all that money. The general rule of thumb is 2.5x the reported budget and the film is likely to start seeing a profit.

It's crazy to me how big promotional budgets can be. Well I still think its going to do ok anyway in the end. Obviously not a killing, but enough....

believe

Adaren

Just swinging by to say that this movie was absolutely amazing. It's deserving of all the praise.

I'm really thankful that that MRA group freaked out about it, or I probably wouldn't have even heard about the film.

I think my only complaints are a few bad CG shots and the weird depth-of-field-lite that the film often had, but that's just me being nitpick-y. Most of the shots and effects are fantastic.

maharg

idspispopd

Technically yes, and for the environmental themes sure. But the feminist angle seems to be fairly new in his head.

Max' wife is pretty much a classic fridging, and there's some pretty brutal violence against women, complete with boobs falling out of ripped clothes, in both Mad Max and The Road Warrior. Tina Turner and the girl leader of the kids (who is actually kind of badass) are maybe the first signs of something different in Miller's head, but it doesn't really go all that far compared to Fury Road.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think the whole feminist thing was blown way out of proportion. MRA over-acted like fuck as well. Movie didn't seem like it was hammering down any feminist agendas at all. Seemed very very natural to me the way the movie played out.

gabbo

I think the whole feminist thing was blown way out of proportion. MRA over-acted like fuck as well. Movie didn't seem like it was hammering down any feminist agendas at all. Seemed very very natural to me the way the movie played out.
That's part of the MRA's thing, isn't it? That a traditionally male centric movie with traditionally alphamale characters and patriarchal story can make a pro-feminism theme/story seem completely "normal" and sneak it into peoples minds?

It's definitely there it's just not using big neon signs and fireworks to tell you it's there.

BocoDragon

There was one MRA article from a crazy person. In the time you've taken to read this post, you now by definition have thought about it for too long.

Simo

Hm looks like I was wrong about Max's earpiece. I watched the movie again today and tried to pick or spot more details and the earpiece was...missing. It's featured in all the promotional posters and stills.

So I did some digging and asked around, it turns out in the cut of the film screened last year for test audiences there was a scene when Max meets the Wives and is in the cab of the War Rig:
When he dumps out the bag to store all the Rig's weapons in it he comes across the earpiece and puts it on.

Seems like they cut the scene and then digitally removed the earpiece throughout the film. lol

Mimosa97

I've just watched the movie and I really enjoyed it. A few weeks ago I watched Kingsman so that makes it two very good action movies in a row. I'm not big into action movies and I don't usually enjoy them that much and most of the new ones I've seen at home were pretty week tbh so I'm really glad that I gave these two a shot.

The audio was too high so all I could hear sometimes was a deafening ringing in my ears (Imax theater my ass ). This combined with the fact that more than a couple of times it was hard for me to understand what they were saying (non-native speaker) I think I might have missed a few key plot lines. I don't know ... So please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that :

-The women were that old warlord wives. He chose the most beautiful women to have his babies and his children become warriors (painted white). Is that correct ?

-Is Furiosa one of his ex-wives or did he just kidnap her and trained her to become a warrior ? What happened to her arm ?

- That pregnant girl who fell and lost her baby. Was she still alive when they performed a C-section on her ? If yes did they already know that the baby was dead ? So basically they killed her just to know which gender the unborn baby was ?

- In one of the early scenes of the movie the big chief opens the valves, water starts pouring from them, then he quickly shut them and says something about how they shouldn't get too much water or they'll start missing it ? So how do all these people survive without water ?

-What's that silver paint used by the warriors before killing themselves kamikaze style ?

Edit : Wrong thread. I'm an idiot :( SORRY !!

gabbo

<questions>
I believe these are the answers:
These wives were specifically chosen because they weren't sick with whatever disease afflicted Nux and the other warboyz/people. That said, i dont the kids would become warboys, since he has two sons and they arent really (dwarf and huge meathead warrior)

She wasnt a wife, just rose through the ranks after being kidnapped. They never say what happened to her arm, if anything (could be naturally missing the limb)

Believe the doctor says shes about to die so Joe wants to find out if the baby was a boy, and if possible save it. Finding out definitely does her in.

They never say how they last with so little water, but not very well it seems. Probably open the taps often enough to keep them alive and coming back to Joe.

Chrome paint im still not entirely sure about. Some weird valhalla/car fetish hybrid thing i took it as anyway.

Edit: my bad.

Laekon

Saw this today and not really sure what to think about it overall. The fact that most of it was live action stunts is amazing. The rest is pretty meh. It was just a bunch of over the top stuff for no other reason than to be over the top.

Believe the chrome paint is just about the getting high.

zma1013

Saw this today and not really sure what to think about it overall. The fact that most of it was live action stunts is amazing. The rest is pretty meh. It was just a bunch of over the top stuff for no other reason than to be over the top.

Believe the chrome paint is just about the getting high.

Sure, it's a lot of over the top stunts but i disagree with the part about having no reason for it. Just about each and every action or stunt being done has a functional reason to be in this world. A lot of it is strategy and tactics the different clans learned through many years of vehicle warfare. Example,
the bikes doing motocross jumps between mountains was so they could drop molotovs on top of their targets. Still other stunts had explanations tied to wreckless kamikazee insanity and/or emotionally driven decisions.
The stunts certainly have inmovie reasons for occurring.

You should be banned for posting all those spoiler filled questions in this thread when there is a spoiler thread for discussion.

What the fuck were you thinking?

I've just watched the movie and I really enjoyed it. A few weeks ago I watched Kingsman so that makes it two very good action movies in a row. I'm not big into action movies and I don't usually enjoy them that much and most of the new ones I've seen at home were pretty week tbh so I'm really glad that I gave these two a shot.

The audio was too high so all I could hear sometimes was a deafening ringing in my ears (Imax theater my ass ). This combined with the fact that more than a couple of times it was hard for me to understand what they were saying (non-native speaker) I think I might have missed a few key plot lines. I don't know ... So please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that :

-The women were that old warlord wives. He chose the most beautiful women to have his babies and his children become warriors (painted white). Is that correct ?

-Is Furiosa one of his ex-wives or did he just kidnap her and trained her to become a warrior ? What happened to her arm ?

- That pregnant girl who fell and lost her baby. Was she still alive when they performed a C-section on her ? If yes did they already know that the baby was dead ? So basically they killed her just to know which gender the unborn baby was ?

- In one of the early scenes of the movie the big chief opens the valves, water starts pouring from them, then he quickly shut them and says something about how they shouldn't get too much water or they'll start missing it ? So how do all these people survive without water ?

-What's that silver paint used by the warriors before killing themselves kamikaze style ?
Sorry for the long post :(

Use spoiler marks, man; you're spoiling the movie for others here. Or go to the spoiler thread.

Mimosa97

You're apologizing for the wrong thing. How about the part where you asked questions loaded with spoilers when there's a spoiler thread here.

Use spoiler marks, man; you're spoiling the movie for others here. Or go to the spoiler thread.

Omg I'm such a dumbass. I thought this was the spoiler thread ...

Sorry !!

You should be banned for posting all those spoiler filled questions in this thread when there is a spoiler thread for discussion.

What the fuck were you thinking?

It was an honest mistake. Why would I do that on purpose ? I opened both threads and ended up posting on the wrong one :(

Sorry again :(

Laekon

Sure, it's a lot of over the top stunts but i disagree with the part about having no reason for it. Just about each and every action or stunt being done has a functional reason to be in this world.

You have to be joking. All of them are made up for set pieces in the movie.

Edited to remove spoilers.

Toa TAK

Banned
You have to be joking. Yes 6 people beating drums and a blind guy with a flaming guitar is a good use of resources in a post apocalyptic world. Real molotov cocktails require there to be fire. Since all these people seem so talented in building pressure sensitive triggers for their explosives why don't they just place mines in their perfectly groomed dirt bike jump canyon? Why is it the people from the water town use both fire and explosive weapons more then ones from the bullet and gas towns? How are the guys swinging on poles useful against the clan with spikes all over their cars or against people with flame throwers?
I bet you're one of them speed racer fans.

You have to be joking. Yes 6 people beating drums and a blind guy with a flaming guitar is a good use of resources in a post apocalyptic world. Real molotov cocktails require there to be fire. Since all these people seem so talented in building pressure sensitive triggers for their explosives why don't they just place mines in their perfectly groomed dirt bike jump canyon? Why is it the people from the water town use both fire and explosive weapons more then ones from the bullet and gas towns? How are the guys swinging on poles useful against the clan with spikes all over their cars or against people with flame throwers?

:(

this post severely lacks a METAL heart and makes me a bit sad.

i must compensate with replaying some bad-ass sound track !!! :D

BocoDragon

The Citadel regime might get a psychological warfare benefit from the drums and guitars and scary masks and such... so maybe it is a good use of resources.

Top Bottom