• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Arrow season 3 having 100% rotten score helps reiterate its stupidity but boy if that 100% for Mad Max and the actual review snippets doesn't make my jimmies rustle in a good way.

Pulled 2 other mates in to a steak and Max night this Friday. Good be good yo.

To be fair, the TV shows are harder to judge because they generally only include reviews for the premier and the first 3-4 episodes--however many the reviewers were given at the start.

Cheebo

Banned
The Road Warrior is one of my top 10 sci-fi films of all time, and I keep seeing reviews saying this is even better than it. I am so excited. More than any film this summer I need this to blow me away.

The Road Warrior is one of my top 10 sci-fi films of all time, and I keep seeing reviews saying this is even better than it. I am so excited. More than any film this summer I need this to blow me away.

i'm gonna go one further and say this may likely be the best blockbuster of the year, period. this and star wars in their marketing have shown that this is the right way to do franchise revivals. other people should take note of 2015.

I kept thinking about what would happen if this movie didn't meet my expectations

I never stopped to think what would happen if it DID

"Even the 'Fast and Furious' movies look like Autopia test drives next to George Miller's powerhouse reimagining of his iconic 'Mad Max' franchise."
Timeout - 5/5 "Utterly embarrasses a generation of Hollywood blockbusters"

4a28xi5.png

That tweet is perfect.

Honestly, the movie's action is a little revelatory, in a way. It was like a "ooooh, so THIS is what 'chaos cinema' is supposed to look like." It's like George Miller woke up from a nap, looked at what blockbusters had accomplished over the past two decades (I'm including superhero movies in this), and decided to show us how it's done.

This movie has some of the movie coherent yet chaotic action I've ever seen. The applause at the end of our screening may as well have been roars for Michael Bay to sit the fuck down.

Invictus

Banned
So glad the reviews are looking good.
So people like being able to follow what's going on in an action sequence. Imagine that. I hope Hollywood is paying attention.

Carbonox

If I read right the domestic opening is tipped at around $40m? What could we be looking at tracking-wise overall? Or is that info unavailable to us just yet.

Timeaisis

That tweet is perfect.

Honestly, the movie's action is a little revelatory, in a way. It was like a "ooooh, so THIS is what 'chaos cinema' is supposed to look like." It's like George Miller woke up from a nap, looked at what blockbusters had accomplished over the past two decades (I'm including superhero movies in this), and decided to show us how it's done.

This movie has some of the movie coherent yet chaotic action I've ever seen. The applause at the end of our screening may as well have been roars for Michael Bay to sit the fuck down.

Lol this is exactly how I felt coming out of the theater. From the director of Babe: Pig in the City and Happy Feet, no less.

jtb

Banned
People keep bringing up the whole Babe and Happy Feet thing (in jest, I know) but that's the entire problem with blockbuster filmmaking today. The only guys getting directing gigs are the ones who have been pegged as "blockbuster" directors or are on that fasttrack. Having directorial range and being willing to take career chances are negatives these days.

Simo

Why aren't there review threads for movies ? There should definitely be one.

There usually are. I didn't make one because I'm at work and can't copy and post links and quotes for them all. lol

Someone else is more than welcome to it though!

Why does the OP lack release dates?

When is this movie out in the theater?

Look again next to where it says "Release Dates" under the banner. lol

Arrow season 3 having 100% rotten score helps reiterate its stupidity but boy if that 100% for Mad Max and the actual review snippets doesn't make my jimmies rustle in a good way.

Pulled 2 other mates in to a steak and Max night this Friday. Good be good yo.

Looking at average rating seems to be a better gauge, where it's standing at right now is pretty impressive for that.

Now just imagine Miller's Justice League or his version of Contact and what could of been. :(

Not at all.

If Mad Max doesn't do crazy at BO I'm sure WB will have a spot for him on their slate of DC movies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
People keep bringing up the whole Babe and Happy Feet thing (in jest, I know) but that's the entire problem with blockbuster filmmaking today. The only guys getting directing gigs are the ones who have been pegged as "blockbuster" directors or are on that fasttrack. Having directorial range and being willing to take career chances are negatives these days.
Exactly. I think the people who are going to make the best action scenes are the filmmakers who have the best understanding of cinema. People who think a lot, about their medium, and about life.

Babe: Pig in the City is an incredibly atmospheric and beautiful film, by the way, and the little action in it is well staged too.

Top Bottom