• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Simo

Has Miller officially addressed this? There were some pretty clear flashbacks to a
child
who must have been killed or died because of Max but I don't think it was clear whether or not they were related. Compare it to the Road Warrior, where it's very obvious that they were his family.

The flashbacks felt unnecessary, IMO. One of the few imperfections of this movie!

Yeah he's always mentioned it as a reimagining. It's hard to do a sequel when 30 years have passed so continuity goes out the window.

Those flashbacks:
Yeah the young girl ends up being his daughter. When he's trying to run away or ignore his past and keeps seeing those visions, like his PTSD, she calls him Max but when he finally comes to terms with it all and accepts it she calls him "papa" by the end.

Yeah he's always mentioned it as a reimagining. It's hard to do a sequel when 30 years have passed so continuity goes out the window.

Those flashbacks:
Yeah the young girl ends up being his daughter. When he's trying to run away or ignore his past and keeps seeing those visions, like his PTSD, she calls him Max but when he finally comes to terms with it all and accepts it she calls him "papa" by the end.

So this is kind of a reboot then? I've honestly never seen a Mad Max film and am pumped for this. Should I check them out this week in advance or should I go in to this one fresh, and check those out after?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Sweet Jesus. 100% on RT off of like 23 reviews so far. Hype overload. Move your ass week I need Friday to get here pronto.

Still haven't seen the film but there's one thing I can't wait to find out so I'll just ask:
Does he get the V8 Interceptor back at any point in the film? It's such a cool car and I'm sad to see him lose it, again. Shit, even the video game that's coming out later this year has him losing it ;_;

Simo

So this is kind of a reboot then? I've honestly never seen a Mad Max film and am pumped for this. Should I check them out this week in advance or should I go in to this one fresh, and check those out after?

You don't need to watch them but if you want something to tide you over to check out Miller's previous Mad Max films then sure give them a viewing.

Again though you don't need to watch them to understand Fury Road. The opening perfectly sets up Max, his situation and the world.

Still haven't seen the film but there's one thing I can't wait to find out so I'll just ask:
Does he get the V8 Interceptor back at any point in the film? It's such a cool car and I'm sad to see him lose it, again. Shit, even the video game that's coming out later this year has him losing it ;_;

It does come back but no he doesn't get it. He has to battle his own car in a epic "nitro" battle that is both insane and awesome.

Caode

Just watched The Road Warrior for the first time. An immensely superior film than the first in just about every department, clearly thanks in part to having an increased budget to enable miller to better realize his vision. That final 20 minutes was fucking insane.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
As a person who wears glasses, 3D or 2D? I have yet to see movies that are better because of the 3D.
George Miller's preferred version is 2D.
Just watched The Road Warrior for the first time. An immensely superior film than the first in just about every department, clearly thanks in part to having an increased budget to enable miller to better realize his vision. That final 20 minutes was fucking insane.
Also because Miller clearly learned a lot about filmmaking from his first go round.

Simo

As a person who wears glasses, 3D or 2D? I have yet to see movies that are better because of the 3D.

I'm in the same boat with glasses and I had to watch the 3D screening. It didn't bother me as much and a couple of scenes were pretty cool with the 3D but 2D is the preferred version given that's what Miller is saying.

Caode

It's trending on twitter too so hopefully the insanely positive response can help generate some more interest.

I'm super excited. I wouldn't have cared if it just got average reviews but now my hype levels are insane. I need to see The Road Warrior before this Friday to temper it a little.

Jigorath

Banned
Wow those are some great reviews. Sounds like the greatest action movie in years. I'll see this on Friday. Then Pitch Perfect on Saturday.

Caode

George Miller's preferred version is 2D.

Also because Miller clearly learned a lot about filmmaking from his first go round.

Yep, which is why I mention 'in part' ;)

There's some really incredible shots in there bringing in the action happening between the ground and the air.

If the goal is getting more exposure to the film, I say do a review/rottenwatch thread.

I don't see this ending below 90, personally, but hey, it could happen.

RangerX

Banned
The glowing reviews and great impressions on here have prompted me and my mates to go see it this Saturday. Can anyone tell me if they don't hold back on the violence? I 'm sick of sanitised blockbusters. I want to see some scarlet.

Rottenwatching is kinda pointless, though.

I don't think it needs to be its own thread, nor do I think the score needs to be retroactively made part of the title.

kris.

Banned
not just one of the great action movies of our time but also a great film, period

I was expecting like mid-70s "yeah this was a pretty cool movie" ala Kingsman. I wasn't expecting this at all.

Lord help me, the wait is going to kill me.

The glowing reviews and great impressions on here have prompted me and my mates to go see it this Saturday. Can anyone tell me if they don't hold back on the violence? I 'm sick of sanitised blockbusters. I want to see some scarlet.

It doesn't hold back but it's not gratuitous. Honestly, struggling to remember any "OMG GORE" moments in the movie--I was way too caught up in what was going on on-screen.

I'm sure there are some, but Miller doesn't really seem interested in that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It doesn't hold back but it's not gratuitous. Honestly, struggling to remember any "OMG GORE" moments in the movie--I was way too caught up in what was going on on-screen.

which is great. Gratuitous gore is as idiotic as total lack of. Damn., this really sounds like THE blockbuster movie we've waited for....all our life

RangerX

Banned

Thats cool. I'm going for the action, which apparently fucking delivers. I was just hoping it wasn't gimped for PG-13.

Simo

Thats cool. I'm going for the action, which apparently fucking delivers. I was just hoping it wasn't gimped for PG-13.

R rated mate. Honestly it surprised me because from friends who saw it last year they kept saying it would be PG-13 easy and then the R rating comes out and I actually see it and yeah...the movie is pretty fucking violent. It's just not over the top gory. I guess the violence is more...realistic?

The Rottenwatching is always stupid, not just because it fetishes a % number thats obviously gonna fluctuate(usually down) as more reviews come in and the thread title just look silly, but it also removes the content of the actual reviews themselves.

I'd make a review thread, but keep the Rottenwatch shit out of the thread title at least.

...the movie is pretty fucking violent. It's just not over the top gory. I guess the violence is more...realistic?

Yeah, it's more "holy shit that body just went flying was that a real human being did i just watch someone die" kind of violent.

Simo

Yeah, it's more "holy shit that body just went flying was that a real human being did i just watch someone die" kind of violent.

Yeah. I was for sure a few stunt men died for real doing some of that stuff that's how brutal it is. lol

inm8num2

Rottenwatching was more fun when Armond White was still on RT. :p

People take it too seriously both ways. It's fun and interesting to see reviews pour in, but it's neither the only way to assess a movie's worth nor a completely useless metric.

Wow ....

this may be the surprise of the year for me. Didn't really have this on my list at all, looked almost like it was destined to be a desert Waterworld or something lol. Or a poor attempt at a Borderlands movie.

But hearing from multiple reviewers it potentially being the GREATEST ACTION FILM OF ALL TIME?

UHHHHHHHHHHH.

wow

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wow ....

this may be the surprise of the year for me. Didn't really have this on my list at all, looked almost like it was destined to be a desert Waterworld or something lol. Or a poor attempt at a Borderlands movie.
Desert Waterworld?

Son, Waterworld is the oceanic Mad Max.

Opiate

On Rottenwatch:

1) People treat it like a competition, and as such get very upset when their favorite stupid film gets a 73 while some other stupid film they don't like gets a 74.

2) That sort of granularity is a bad idea, but that doesn't make it worthless. The difference between 73 and 74 is meaningless; the difference between 58 and 95 is much more substantive.

3) As others have mentioned, the obsession over score decreases the appreciation of the actual review content, which can often give a good idea where the score is coming from. For instance, a film that basically everyone agrees is generally competent may get a very high rotten tomatoes score (Paddington comes to mind recently), which is distinct from a film that everyone agrees is not only competent, but truly great, or one which gets a lower overall score but has many truly glowing reviews.

Mad Max seems to be one of those reviews that's getting closer to "this is great" reviews than "this is a competently made film" reviews.

JdFoX187

Banned
Wow ....

What?! You do realize Borderlands was inspired by Mad Max, right?

Top Bottom