• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
All my friends think this looks dumb.

Fiancee doesn't care to pay the extra dough to see it in theaters.

Looks like I'm going alone. Last movie I went alone to? John Wick. Let's keep this kickass streak going.

Yep, this is it.

It's the only film I'm excited for this summer. It'll be a nice cleanser for my final week of the semester. I've only seen the first two trailers and I don't want to see anymore. Also, that second trailer is how you cut a proper trailer without giving anything away.

Choomp

Banned
Can't wait for this movie. The reception so far is kind of reminding me of that of Furious 7. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations.

Man so much hype for this....but really don't want to see the V8 being destroyed again :(
Still a bit sad that Mel didn't get a cameo or whatever on the film
The action looks intense.

I really need my fix of rpg post apocalyptic lol

Lynd7

All my friends think this looks dumb.

Fiancee doesn't care to pay the extra dough to see it in theaters.

Looks like I'm going alone. Last movie I went alone to? John Wick. Let's keep this kickass streak going.

I don't know how anyone can watch these trailers and not be impressed.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Seriously hoping they didn't show the money shots in the trailer. Can't be though. There can't possibly be more insane scenes in the movie.

Timeaisis

I can't wait till this film comes out officially so we can start having lore discussions. It's pretty cool shit.

Seriously hoping they didn't show the money shots in the trailer. Can't be though. There can't possibly be more insane scenes in the movie.

They only show glimpses in the trailers. The action strung together is a sight to behold.

Also, the trailers don't spoil the best sequences, imo.

dump your friends

and maybe your fiancee too, she clearly isn't the one

Yep, this is it.

:lol

She thought it looked really bad after the first trailer. 2nd trailer changed her mind. Now she wants to see it, but wants to wait until redbox. Smh.

What sort of movies do you friends like?

This should be right up their alleys. But somehow it isn't. I don't understand. Hopefully me bragging about how awesome it is changes some minds.

Right? Insanity.

Simo

Just realized the review embargo is up 7am tomorrow so I'll be at work and won't be able to post any, so if someone would be cool to do so it'd be appreciated and then I'll throw them all in the OP later!

inm8num2

Sounds like a good plan to lift the review embargo at the beginning of the week. Let the positive word of mouth spread and build up for a few days!

:lol

She thought it looked really bad after the first trailer. 2nd trailer changed her mind. Now she wants to see it, but wants to wait until redbox. Smh.
Could she even elaborate what looks bad about it? I could understand it not being to everyone's taste (to which I question their taste), but I just don't understand what looks even remotely bad about it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I must have watched that third trailer close to a hundred times now. One with the guitar dude. It's fucking amazing. The use of music is astounding.

Thread has convinced me to go see it. Was already mildly interested, just my local theater isn't running it (small town, one screen, family friendly :|).

m23

Anyone in the Toronto area able to find an Imax showing? I've been unable to find tickets to the movie in Imax or even Ultra AVX.

Lazyslob

Banned
cant wait to watch this movie but ugh cant stand people who make certain movies apart of their ideals n shit. whatever the movie is trying to do its still "art" and people can take from it what they want and i hate when people try to say like " well hey look what this movie did! all movies can do the same!" im just saying movie looks dope and enjoy it for what it is

cant wait to watch this movie but ugh cant stand people who make certain movies apart of their ideals n shit. whatever the movie is trying to do its still "art" and people can take from it what they want and i hate when people try to say like " well hey look what this movie did! all movies can do the same!" im just saying movie looks dope and enjoy it for what it is
Can you elaborate or be more specific? I have no idea what you're referring to.

Lazyslob

Banned
Can you elaborate or be more specific? I have no idea what you're referring to.

well what i mean is that the movie has a strong women presence i guess you can say. the art isnt that you mold your idea into what other people think. if it fits into what people like, fine, but if it doesnt i think thats also okay since the point of art is to get an emotion out of someone. people now are saying "hey watch this movie it has a feminist aspect to it". what i mean is if the movie is good it can stand on its on 2 feet you know?

ezekial45

Banned
Got another fan poster here
https://twitter.com/BerkayDaglar/status/597626980243222528/photo/1

CEsykioWAAAJ2am.png:large

Looking forward to the reviews later in the morning.

It comes across like pure, uncut 80s heavy metal cocaine fueled insanity in the age of safe superhero and fantasy geekery. There will be a certain breed of moviegoer that Fury Road doesn't appeal to even though it seems like something that should appeal to them. Everyone should get comfortable with that right now.

Doesn't mean the movie can't be successful though. I could also be completely wrong.*

I'm probably not though.**

But I could be. Hopefully.

well what i mean is that the movie has a strong women presence i guess you can say. the art isnt that you mold your idea into what other people think. if it fits into what people like, fine, but if it doesnt i think thats also okay since the point of art is to get an emotion out of someone. people now are saying "hey watch this movie it has a feminist aspect to it". what i mean is if the movie is good it can stand on its on 2 feet you know?

George Miller got a feminist consultant to help give it that edge.

eve-ensler.jpg

"But before you chalk all this up to another testosterone-fueled day at the movies, you should know that new female characters played by Charlize Theron, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Zoë Kravitz, Riley Keough, Abbey Lee, and Courtney Eaton have the potential to flip certain action movie tropes on their head. In fact, Mad Max director George Miller enlisted the help of activist, feminist icon, and Vagina Monologues author Eve Ensler in order to ensure that Fury Road wasn’t just another story about helpless female victims; it’s a story about empowered survivors."
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist-triumph

"TIME: It’s so rare that a big blockbuster film takes on these themes, let alone brings someone with your background on the set to consult. How did that come to be?

Eve Ensler: It was as surprising to me as it is to you, which is why I decided to do it. I think [director] George Miller heard me give a talk on human rights in Sydney. He asked me if I would be willing to come to Namibia for a week where they were shooting and work with the cast members—particularly the wives. He wanted me to give them a perspective on violence against women around the world, particularly in war zones.

I read the script and was blown away. One out of three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime—it’s a central issue of our time, and that violence against women relates to racial and economic injustice. This movie takes those issues head-on. I think George Miller is a feminist, and he made a feminist action film. It was really amazing of him to know that he needed a woman to come in who had experience with this."
http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist/ *SPOILERS*

Video interview with Charlize Theron about it: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...unexpected-feminist-kick-of-mad-max-fury-road

If it gets more women or feminists to check it out and enjoy, it's all good. Women already make a big part of the ratio in audiences for action movies that don't even have well developed female characters. Can't be bad that it has more relevancy to the real world with the rape and sex trafficking stuff.

Lazyslob

Banned
George Miller got a feminist consultant to help give it that edge.

eve-ensler.jpg

"But before you chalk all this up to another testosterone-fueled day at the movies, you should know that new female characters played by Charlize Theron, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Zoë Kravitz, Riley Keough, Abbey Lee, and Courtney Eaton have the potential to flip certain action movie tropes on their head. In fact, Mad Max director George Miller enlisted the help of activist, feminist icon, and Vagina Monologues author Eve Ensler in order to ensure that Fury Road wasn’t just another story about helpless female victims; it’s a story about empowered survivors."
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist-triumph

"TIME: It’s so rare that a big blockbuster film takes on these themes, let alone brings someone with your background on the set to consult. How did that come to be?

Eve Ensler: It was as surprising to me as it is to you, which is why I decided to do it. I think [director] George Miller heard me give a talk on human rights in Sydney. He asked me if I would be willing to come to Namibia for a week where they were shooting and work with the cast members—particularly the wives. He wanted me to give them a perspective on violence against women around the world, particularly in war zones.

I read the script and was blown away. One out of three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime—it’s a central issue of our time, and that violence against women relates to racial and economic injustice. This movie takes those issues head-on. I think George Miller is a feminist, and he made a feminist action film. It was really amazing of him to know that he needed a woman to come in who had experience with this."
http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist/ *SPOILERS*

Video interview with Charlize Theron about it: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...unexpected-feminist-kick-of-mad-max-fury-road

If it gets more women or feminists to check it out and enjoy, it's all good. Women already make a big part of the ratio in audiences for action movies that don't even have well developed female characters. Can't be bad that it has more relevancy to the real world with the rape and sex trafficking stuff.

okay but what you said isnt relevant to what i said. even the "vagina monologues" got flak recently. what im saying is not trying to make this movie apart of any kind of ideal.

that's pretty reductive. if the themes are present in the film then they should be discussed. yeah this is a balls to the wall action movie but it can also (presumably, haven't seen it yet) be seen as a female empowerment action movie too

i don't really know what you're arguing here.

Lazyslob

Banned
i just dont see this movie as proving some kind of point as so many people want it to. im not trying to upset people but when it comes to entertainment i think its super cut and dry

i just dont see this movie as proving some kind of point as so many people want it to. im not trying to upset people but when it comes to entertainment i think its super cut and dry
And for others than you, it's not so cut and dry. Not seeing what's hard to understand here.

Lazyslob

Banned
And for others than you, it's not so cut and dry. Not seeing what's hard to understand here.

okay then i have to understand your point only? understand mine. i think its the same thing which happened to avengers 2 where people just blew away the whole movie to point out that black widow got captured. its the same thing here but the other way. people wont take it in the whole movie but one aspect and judge everything else on the same kind of criteria. like i said i think its dumb people will use movies to kind of push their ideals. but thats just me

All I'm getting from slob's posts is "oh no, someone put feminism in my movie! Icky yucky cooties!"

Like, you've got this backwards dude. People aren't making this movie part of their ideals, George Miller made feminist ideals part of his movie.

Lazyslob

Banned
well then no. you dont get what im saying

my whole point is that this cant be its own thing. whether or not is has feminist elements or not is irrelevant because my point is that then it will be judged against any other rated r movie in the future which now will have to have the same elements and same criteria or else it will be an awful movie. the leads falls in love? shit movie. ect. i just want the movie to be judged whether or not it was a good movie on its own and not all the social elements everyone puts on it.

well then no. you dont get what im saying

my whole point is that this cant be its own thing. whether or not is has feminist elements or not is irrelevant because my point is that then it will be judged against any other rated r movie in the future which now will have to have the same elements and same criteria or else it will be an awful movie. the leads falls in love? shit movie. ect. i just want the movie to be judged whether or not it was a good movie on its own and not all the social elements everyone puts on it.

If the movie earns it's leads falling in love, there's no problem. If the movie earns it's feminist perspective, there's no problem. Part of the reason why the feminism is a big deal is because these movie's just don't bring it in and that severely underrepresents a significant portion of the world. They can have kick ass women if they want. People can champion kick ass women if they want. That doesn't make kick ass women an essential element of the movie, but it is a trend that we should be seeing because it's a positive trend.

I'm honestly not sure what you're saying here.

If it's a good movie it's a good movie. Not sure why you have a problem with the feminism aspect. GAF-ers who saw the film said the film isn't a 'feminist film' or a political engaged film or anything; it just doesn't have shitty written female characters.

Top Bottom