• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Fitts

That would fuck the pacing to death. Hell no.

It's not happening anyway. The blu-ray special features are your basic everyday EPK fluff. No special cuts.

I never watch special features, but after reading a few interviews with George Miller/etc. I really want some deep dives into the universe's "lore." The depth -- from characters to vehicle/set design -- is insane.

T I just want more Mad Max!!!

find this button on your remote:

media-repeat.png

Become friendly with it.

I know I will.

Max is a better character than the T-800
Furiosa is a better character than Sarah Conner
Nux is a better character than John Conner
The action is shot better
The action is more inventive
The story is told *through* the action, and not via stopped-down exposition dumps between set-pieces.
Nobody slides in and out of character for cheap laughs or plot purposes
There's no storytelling bloat
There's no editing missteps

1) Raiders of the Lost Ark
2) Die Hard
3) Fury Road
4) Predator
5) ALIENS (Theatrical Cut)

While I love the additional scenes in the special edition of Aliens, I agree that the theatrical cut is a better experience. It is tighter and more focused. It is just a relentless and ruthless machine of a film.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is my all time favorite film ever, and the fact that Fury Road even comes close to matching it's action for me is a near-impossible feat that Miller somehow accomplishes.

1. Raiders
2. Die Hard
3. Fury Road

Honestly can't remember the last time an action film engaged me on nearly every level, from a filmic sense.

Game4life

Banned
I agree, but it's the way Fury Road does everything else that elevates it for me which is why I specifically said "storytelling" instead of "writing." The frantic, physical, silent film energy to the storytelling in FR resonates with me more than the writing in T2. FR is absolutely a roller coaster, but it's Roller Coaster Prime- ironed, oiled, and buffed into an aerodynamic piece of work that accomplishes everything it sets out to do at a level we don't see often in action movies, much less big budget action movies.

Like I said, I'm not taking anything away from T2, it's a classic, but if we're ranking these movies I have to be honest with myself, and when nostalgia is removed, FR does more of the little things I value right now than T2.

I dont think Mad Max FR will hold up in the small screen as well as T2. I need to rewatch it again once the blu ray comes out but as of now my first impression is T2 has the better villain, more iconic set pieces and the better ending.

I really love T2, and has interesting arc for Sarah Connor, but I don't think I've ever heard it seriously argued that it's a deep story. If anyone is willing to enlighten me on how it has a significant amount of depth (not compared to Fury Road, just in general), I'd like to hear it.

It is not particularly deep but it gets the job done.

Tizoc

I concede that Die Hard 1 is among the best action movies of the past 3 decades.

As is I'm holding out on getting the bluray of Fury Road for cheap from Europe/UK =X (Come on base.com!)

Moff

is raiders really a pure action movie as the others though? somehow I feel it's the odd one out in your lists.
I agree that fury road deserves to be named with the action greats like T2 and aliens

Max is a better character than the T-800
Furiosa is a better character than Sarah Connor
Nux is a better character than John Connor
The action is shot better
The action is more inventive
The story is told *through* the action, and not via stopped-down exposition dumps between set-pieces.
Nobody slides in and out of character for cheap laughs or plot purposes
There's no storytelling bloat
There's no editing missteps

My man.

Comparing T2 to Mad Max:

Both are pretty great for the vast majority of their run-time. T2 has a few really weak scenes with John Connor, mainly due to the limitations of the child actor. Mad Max has a really weak section when they find the grandma warriors.

T2's advantage is that it's weak section comes in the middle, and the final hour or so is god-tier.

Mad Max's weak section comes at the very end of the second act, and thus feels like more of a downer.

T2 as a whole is better than Mad Max, but only slightly.

Furiosa is in no way, shape or form a better character than Sarah Connor, especially when you consider Sarah's growth from the beginning of T1 all the way through the end of T2.

No one slides out of character in T2.

John Connor as written is a great character. They just didn't cast an actor who could really deliver the lines that were written in the script.

T2 is widely considered the greatest action film of all time. To beat it, Mad Max has to be the greatest action film of all time. I'm not sure it is. It's top 5, but not #1.

i'm with jack remington on this one. i liked furiosa's performance more though but i think sarah connor's transformation from 1 to 2 was fantastic. and honestly i had no problems with jon on a rewatch. he was the embodiment of 90s youth to me.

i'd put t2 and raiders over fury road. but i'd put fury road over the matrix. and die hard and aliens and predator are somewhere in this list.

Moff

I prefer T2, but that's because I think a movie needs room to breathe. fury road does not have enough room to breathe for my personal taste, it's almost a 100% action fest. but that's a completely personal preference, those few top action films are so much ahead of the rest that I won't complain if any of them are #1 for someone.

and for the women:
vasquez < furiosa < ripley < sarah connor

marrec

Banned
I've never understood why T2 was always defaulted to the greatest action movie ever but never begrudged anyone that point till now. Fury Road is better in every way.

It's been about 6 years since I've seen T2 though so maybe I should rewatch it.

I liked the finding the grannies section of Mad Max. It's slow and quiet, that doesn't mean it's automatically bad. I don't think the quiet section of T2 is bad, either.

I've never understood why T2 was always defaulted to the greatest action movie ever but never begrudged anyone that point till now. Fury Road is better in every way.

It's been about 6 years since I've seen T2 though so maybe I should rewatch it.

The T-1000 is a lot better than Immortan Joe, as cool as he was. Robert Patrick's T-1000 performance was a performance for the ages.

Nothing can top some of the subtle shots he's in.

"Call to him. I know this hurts." Mad Max has nothing on those scenes.

I really can't believe this is really a debate. Fury Road is better than Terminator 2. Lord help me.

marrec

Banned
The T-1000 is a lot better than Immortan Joe, as cool as he was. Robert Patrick's T-1000 performance was a performance for the ages.

Nothing can top some of the subtle shots he's in.

"Call to him. I know this hurts." Mad Max has nothing on those scenes.

I really can't believe this is really a debate. Fury Road is better than Terminator 2. Lord help me.

Robert Patrick put in a great performance for sure but the T-1000 isn't subtle in itself, nor does it have any depth. Immortan Joe has an entire movie's worth of untold story just from what little we saw in Fury Road. A much more interesting bad-guy than the unstoppable killing machine with no other purpose but to drive the plot forward that was T-1000.

Robert Patrick put in a great performance for sure but the T-1000 isn't subtle in itself, nor does it have any depth. Immortan Joe has an entire movie's worth of untold story just from what little we saw in Fury Road. A much more interesting bad-guy than the unstoppable killing machine with no other purpose but to drive the plot forward that was T-1000.

Well the T-1000 is literally a machine... I thought Patrick did a great job playing an impassive, ruthless killing machine. He looked 0% human.

marrec

Banned
Well the T-1000 is literally a machine... I thought Patrick did a great job playing an impassive, ruthless killing machine. He looked 0% human.

Perfection from a performance standpoint for sure and the T-1000 did it's job as an analog for the ruthless and inexorable advance of technology but as a bad guy it wasn't as intriguing as Immortan Joe. That's not Robert Patrick's fault or even James Cameron's fault though, just the nature of the character that was written.

Moff

both have no depth, but the T1000 is an iconic killer machine for the ages with several iconic scenes due to his memorable abilites and his dialogue, both cannot be said for immortan joe, he looks nice but is utterly forgettable.

Llyranor

I feel like The Matrix would have been much better if they had brought in martial artist actors. For the style of fight choreography, the actors just felt too stiff. It lacked this fluid flow to it.

I feel like The Matrix would have been much better if they had brought in martial artist actors. For the style of fight choreography, the actors just felt too stiff. It lacked this fluid flow to it.

I still feel its one of the best action movies of all time and the stunt work in a lot of areas holds up remarkably well. Story is fantastic too.

neo_helicopter.gif

GhaleonEB

Stumbling into old clips of Mad Max on Youtube, I'm realizing how long it's been since I saw it. I just noticed that in Toecutter's (Mad Max spoilerz) I found that amusing given that's the last thing Immortan does at Furiosa before she (Fury Road spoilerz)
rips his face off,
especially given they are played by the same actor.

Schrade

I really didn't enjoy this movie at all. There really wasn't any Mad Max in it.

I did like the drum beaters and the guitar player though... silly though they were.

I'm really kind of shocked at how positive most people are about the movie.

mattp

I really didn't enjoy this movie at all. There really wasn't any Mad Max in it.

I did like the drum beaters and the guitar player though... silly though they were.

I'm really kind of shocked at how positive most people are about the movie.

are you sure you watched the same movie?

seriously, everyone that says max isnt in the movie much, were you fucking watching?

Furiosa is in no way, shape or form a better character than Sarah Connor, especially when you consider Sarah's growth from the beginning of T1 all the way through the end of T2.

No one slides out of character in T2.

John Connor as written is a great character. They just didn't cast an actor who could really deliver the lines that were written in the script.

T2 is widely considered the greatest action film of all time. To beat it, Mad Max has to be the greatest action film of all time. I'm not sure it is. It's top 5, but not #1.

Furiosa is a better character, with a better actress giving a better performance. Sure, maybe Sarah becomes a more interesting character if you take a completely different (and better) movie into account, but that doesn't really seem fair. T2 is set up to be standalone (really, it is. It had to be - Terminator wasn't a huge success), and so Sarah is set up to be judged standalone. And based on the character as presented in that film, and the way Hamilton portrayed her - Theron's Furiosa is a better, more interesting, more compelling character.

Sarah in T2 barely makes the top 5 Cameron heroines list. And even if I did take into account the character from T1 - I still pick Furiosa.

John Connor is not a great character, and that grating, annoying performance Furlong put in sure as shit didn't help. Both John, Sarah, AND the T-800 slide in and out of character as needed to satisfy either plot or pander-moments. It doesn't happen too frequently, but it's sure as hell noticeable when it does. And I don't think T2 is widely considered the best action film ever, that usually goes to either Die Hard or Raiders.

Barely makes top 5 cameron heroines? Lmao I want to see this list. Only one who gives her a run for the money is Ripley

Surely you don't think the abyss, avatar or true lies have better female characters than Connor?

I do think Charlize gave a better performance though but then it's pretty apparent cameron works with some scust-tier actors on the regular. Yet he still manages to make pretty great movies with them (I'm gonna say it right now, there were like 6 other actors at that time who would be way better at kyle reese than beihn was). hamilton was quite good in T2 though.

are you sure you watched the same movie?

seriously, everyone that says max isnt in the movie much, were you fucking watching?

To be fair, maybe they are expecting something more formulaic in terms of protagonists' roles in movies. As in, protags should get the most lines and should get to kill the main baddie and should be the final solution in every fights that happen, etc.

:x

I, for one, am glad that Fury Road does not fall into those tropes, instead it is a surprisingly refreshing take on the action genre, but well..... nothing is ever going to appeal to everyone equally.

The Matrix is the best action movie ever in my opinion. I can't fault anything in it. The entire Morpheus rescue segment is sublime.

Top Bottom