• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Can't put it up there with the all time greats. Some good action sequences with not a lot more than that. Story was basic and the performances were solid.

Without going into a fan-driven hyperbole, I'd honestly have to answer yes to that, which I'm surprised I can say about a Hollywood-driven action movie nowadays.

I agree with this, I saw Fury Road twice in cinemas and the movie still resonates positively with me months after seeing it. That is a very rare thing for a Hollywood action movie to do to me recently. I love the running narrative, action pieces and editing in this movie. It is so well made, IMO. To me it is an instant classic.

But then again, I always loved the Mad Max series and the Road Warrior was always my favorite of the series. The Road Warrior may even still be one of my favorite movies of all time, I love the minimalistic approach of it and the way it was filmed. I'm not sure if I like Fury Road more, but Fury Road is a fantastic entry in the series and a perfect reboot.

Lunar15

Here's basically what I discovered with this movie: It's not my favorite movie ever, but it does two rare things:

It never offended my sensibilities (See: Michael Bay's lowest common denominator stuff) and it did a lot of things I'd genuinely never seen in a movie before. It respected the viewer and it changed the way I look at other movies. That's rare, special, and something I really appreciate.

I guess it's a bit Off-Topic, but just Die Hard 1 is worth watching, or the others in the franchise too?

Ehh... Die Hard 2 isn't a bad movie, but you will feel some deja-vu if you watch it after the first movie. The first two movies are adapted from books, but two completely unrelated books. Die Hard With A Vengeance is also a fun ride and adds Samuel L Jackson to the mix. The plot is flawed, but the action set pieces and the high paced action make up for it. Live Free Die Hard takes on a very different tone, but personally I didn't mind it that much. The fifth movie is a complete dud though. Skip that.

If anything, I would rank them...

- Die Hard With A Vengeance
- Live Free Die Hard
- Die Hard 2 (actually I am not sure if I would rank this one lower than Live Free... maybe about equal?)
-
-
-
-
-
- Die Hard 5

Ehh... Die Hard 2 isn't a bad movie, but you will feel some deja-vu if you watch it after the first movie. The first two movies are adapted from books, but two completely unrelated books. Die Hard With A Vengeance is also a fun ride and adds Samuel L Jackson to the mix. The plot is flawed, but the action set pieces and the high paced action make up for it. Live Free Die Hard takes on a very different tone, but personally I didn't mind it that much. The fifth movie is a complete dud though. Skip that.

If anything, I would rank them...

- Die Hard With A Vengeance
- Live Free Die Hard
- Die Hard 2 (actually I am not sure if I would rank this one lower than Live Free... maybe about equal?)
-
-
-
-
-
- Die Hard 5
Sounds about right. Kinda liked parts of Live Free and it did try to do something new, but I can't justify a single section of A Good Day to Die Hard, not even Bruce Willis tried on that one...

Blader

so where do you guys have this movie ranked among greatest action movies of all time

is it on the same tier as Terminator 2 and Die Hard?

I'd say not as good as Die Hard but above T2 (though I've never been as a big a T2 fan as most people, so take that for what you will).

firelogic

I'd say not as good as Die Hard but above T2 (though I've never been as a big a T2 fan as most people, so take that for what you will).

Same here. T2 is a competent action movie but I don't get why it's so highly praised. I think T1 is a better movie.

I watched T2 again recently and I thought I would be critical of it but honestly it really is one of the GOAT blockbusters

I had absolutely no problems with it, even furlong with his cracked up puberty voice (lol) was fine within the context of the movie. I find it interesting how similar the final scene of it and fury road are. Dat mutual respect and acknowledgement as they stare at each other in different elevation

It's the best pet movie ever btw, fuck a lassie and old yeller

maharg

idspispopd
Same here. T2 is a competent action movie but I don't get why it's so highly praised. I think T1 is a better movie.

I don't really think of T1 as an action movie. It's more of a horror/thriller. There are a few action sequences in it, but mostly it's just running away from the monster.

T2 really raised the bar for action films, though. I think it's Cameron's peak in the genre tbh, and Cameron was basically a peak in the genre as a whole in that period. Fury Road has just raised the bar again, building on what came before it.

Scullibundo in 3..2...

Blader

I watched T2 again recently and I thought I would be critical of it but honestly it really is one of the GOAT blockbusters

I had absolutely no problems with it, even furlong with his cracked up puberty voice (lol) was fine within the context of the movie. I find it interesting how similar the final scene of it and fury road are. Dat mutual respect and acknowledgement as they stare at each other in different elevation

It's the best pet movie ever btw, fuck a lassie and old yeller

The first time I saw it I didn't like it for the same reason I didn't like Aliens on first watch: I'd just watched it right after its predecessor. I really dug Terminator, loved Alien, and was really turned off by the genre switch for their sequels. Eventually I grew to love Aliens and (to a lesser extent) T2 for being their own thing and doing so well at it, instead of thinking of them as non-horror follow-ups to their damn good horror predecessors.

And I'm sure most will disagree but my GOAT for the action genre is and probably always will be The Matrix.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I haven't seen Die Hard, but it's but it above Terminator 2. Definitly among the great blockbusters.

Holy Hell, how can anyone like this exist? You've really never seen Die Hard? It's like only one of the best action movies ever made, maybe even the best ever made. Literally. Like not even debatable.

Fix this immediately. Watch it twice in a row as blissful penance.

Game4life

Banned
T2 is better than Fury Road but that is okay. Fury Road is fking amazing. Maybe it is nostalgia speaking but T2 is so fking good. The plot, the mall sequence, the hospital, the tanker and helicopter chases, the quotable quotes, the ending along with that music.. Fury road does not compare in my opinion but that is just me. I dont think it is even as good as Matrix. The lobby sequence alone is one of the single greatest action sequences of all time. Fury Road is definitely close though and a much better movie than Die Hard in my opinion.

I'd put Fury Road above T2. The world, the storytelling, the visuals, the music, the cinematography, the energy; It all hit me on a level deeper than T2 ever has. That's taking nothing away from T2, it's still one of the action GOATs, but I have no issues ranking Fury Road extremely high right now, higher than many action classics that would probably have people calling me a blasphemer. I don't care, it's a great, great movie.

Hard Boiled is still the king anyway though, so miss me with all this "Die Hard/Aliens/T2/Raiders" talk

Violet_0

Banned
just watched Fury Road and loved it. Having never watched any of the Mad Max movies, is the movie a direct sequel to the previous movies or a reboot of the franchise? Also, which ones are the good Mad Max movies?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
just watched Fury Road and loved it. Having never watched any of the Mad Max movies, is the movie a direct sequel to the previous movies or a reboot of the franchise? Also, which ones are the good Mad Max movies?

It's just a Mad Max story. There's no real continuity between any of the films. The good Mad Max movies are Fury Road and Road Warrior. The first one is worth watching but rather different from the others. Beyond Thunderdome crashes and burns once it...well, once it goes beyond Thunderdome. It's not awful, but it's by far the least of the four.

just watched Fury Road and loved it. Having never watched any of the Mad Max movies, is the movie a direct sequel to the previous movies or a reboot of the franchise?

It's a sequel. That said, the Mad Max series has what most would consider a floating timeline and it's never entirely clear how much time has passed between each film. And the connections between each film are somewhat tenuous.

It's best to view Max as a legendary figure. He wanders aimlessly across the Outback and is probably ageless.

Also, which ones are the good Mad Max movies?

Watch all of them. Of the original trilogy, The Road Warrior is easily the best, followed by Mad Max. Beyond Thunderdome is...weird, but still worth a watch.

I don't normally engage this type of conversation but, yeah, FR is better than T2. Even if all things were equal, the fact that T2 is a direct sequel to another film hurts it against FR, which stands completely on its own and requires 0 knowledge of the Mad Max universe to fully enjoy. And, yes, I know you can watch T2 without ever having seen T1 and be ok but part of T2's charm is its reliance on how much of a monster Arnie's Terminator was in T1.

Been curious about something

When he is strapped to the lancers perch at the beginning of the chase and the car starts going really fast with the fire coming from the exhaust and all that, Max says, " CONFUCUMUS " or something like that

what is he saying?

When he is strapped to the lancers perch at the beginning of the chase and the car starts going really fast with the fire coming from the exhaust and all that, Max says, " CONFUCUMUS " or something like that

what is he saying?

I just thought he was saying a string of profanities, haha :p

inm8num2

what is he saying?

IIRC something like, "First they take my blood, now my car."

Top Bottom