• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I don't really want to list where this stands on my all time favourite action movies because it's so recent. Having said that I really do think this may well end up being my number 1. It's just so hard to find any flaws. This also sounds silly but it's one of the rare movies I have found myself tearing up from scenes that weren't necessarily emotional. They were just so beautiful and well put together.

It's just a fucking brilliant movie all round.

Edit: it's almost impossible to compare though. The matrix, Crusade, die hard etc are all brilliant in their own way so it's so hard to rank them.

Barely makes top 5 cameron heroines? Lmao I want to see this list. Only one who gives her a run for the money is Ripley

You got the #1, definitely.

Check it out though: I'm gonna cheat.

1) Ellen Ripley (ALIENS)
2) Lindsay Brigman (The Abyss)
3) Helen Tasker (True Lies)
4) Sarah Connor (Terminator)
5) Lornette Mason (Strange Days - he wrote it! It counts!)

Game4life

Banned
Immortan Joe better than T-1000? Max better than T-800?

T-1000 is basically this

Well the T-1000 is literally a machine... I thought Patrick did a great job playing an impassive, ruthless killing machine. He looked 0% human.

and T -800 has so many bad ass scenes that max cannot even hope to compete. Can anyone name any action scene performed by Max that is as bad ass as this

https://youtu.be/o47mJDUluLw?t=46

Max wishes he was this cool

Reloading.gif

I can think of so many actors who could have played Max and Immortan Joe and it would not have made an iota of difference to how good Mad Max is as a movie. Hell if it was someone else instead of Hardy it could have even been better given that he was the weak link. T2 on the other hand could not have been made without Robert Patrick or Arnie.

I still feel its one of the best action movies of all time and the stunt work in a lot of areas holds up remarkably well. Story is fantastic too.

neo_helicopter.gif

Matrix is fking amazing. Easily in the goat action list. I think both Matrix and Mad Max are one notch below T2 though.

I really need the blu-ray to define where Fury Road sits on my list of favourite movies because at the moment it is somewhere in my top 5.

1. Robocop
2. Terminator 2
3. Aliens
4. Predator
5. Mad Max: Fury Road (so far)

lawnchair

Banned
I've seen the movie four times and I feel like I go back and forth between really thinking it works/the movie earns it or thinking it's too cliche.

i can see the opinion of the movie having earned it, but seeing people praising it highly in this thread was weird. it was one of the cringey-er moments in the movie for me. every time in a movie that a character looks up at the sky and wails WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!??!?! im like "....this again, okay"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So today I saw a movie with Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult. Theron was strangely badass, and Hoult was strangely adorable. The movie just came out, and it's really good. Plot twist: it's not Mad Max!

It's called Dark Places.

Pretty good movie, y'all should go see it. ^^

gatti-man

Comparing T2 to Mad Max:

Both are pretty great for the vast majority of their run-time. T2 has a few really weak scenes with John Connor, mainly due to the limitations of the child actor. Mad Max has a really weak section when they find the grandma warriors.

T2's advantage is that it's weak section comes in the middle, and the final hour or so is god-tier.

Mad Max's weak section comes at the very end of the second act, and thus feels like more of a downer.

T2 as a whole is better than Mad Max, but only slightly.
I don't want to choose. They are both so so great.

Monocle

Comparing T2 to Mad Max:

Both are pretty great for the vast majority of their run-time. T2 has a few really weak scenes with John Connor, mainly due to the limitations of the child actor. Mad Max has a really weak section when they find the grandma warriors.

T2's advantage is that it's weak section comes in the middle, and the final hour or so is god-tier.

Mad Max's weak section comes at the very end of the second act, and thus feels like more of a downer.

T2 as a whole is better than Mad Max, but only slightly.
Can't agree there. Mad Max doesn't have an annoying screechy child. Insta-win.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
top 5 action movies?

Terminator 2
Predator
Mad Max: Fury Road
Aliens
Die Hard

3/5 from the 80s, man the 80s was just insane when it came to action movies.

Bedlam

Watched in for the third time last night in an open-air cinema. The movie was just as breathtaking as it felt when I watched it for the first time. Fury Road really is a modern classic already in my eyes.

To be fair, maybe they are expecting something more formulaic in terms of protagonists' roles in movies. As in, protags should get the most lines and should get to kill the main baddie and should be the final solution in every fights that happen, etc.

:x

I, for one, am glad that Fury Road does not fall into those tropes, instead it is a surprisingly refreshing take on the action genre, but well..... nothing is ever going to appeal to everyone equally.

Max , Furiosa or Nux are all formulaic characters following basic tropes in their actions and development. She is seen differently , because she's a female. Not because of how she's actually written. People need to get of their high horses and stop saying someone didnt contemplate some kind of cinema rejuvenesce because they didnt found Fury Road the greatest thing made since The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension .

Not Refresh. Rehash. From Miller itself.

Max , Furiosa or Nux are all formulaic characters following basic tropes in their actions and development. She is seen differently , because she's a female. Not because of how she's actually written. People need to get of their high horses and stop saying someone didnt contemplate some kind of cinema rejuvenesce because they didnt found Fury Road the greatest thing made since The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension .

Whoa. Why so upset~

I didn't think I was high horsey... Just saying I found it refreshing. Certainly said nothing could appeal to everyone equally!

Max , Furiosa or Nux are all formulaic characters following basic tropes in their actions and development. She is seen differently , because she's a female. Not because of how she's actually written.

To the bolded: what a crock of shit.

And the incorrect usage of the term "tropes" should be some sort of forum technical foul or something by this point. It's almost hiccup, a useless gulping syllable that adds nothing to the discussion.

TVTropes is one of the worst things to happen to online movie criticism and conversation. Its like when people start complaining about those MacGuffins in Marvel/Mission Impossible movies, now that they learned what the name of that plot device is. Like they figured out that new curse word and can't wait to show it off at every instance, even if it doesn't make sense.

zulfate

all cliches/tropes in this movie are a perfect example of how to do them right, every character is here to show you how fucked up the world is, they are no random joes in this movie. they are all there to push the world building in meaningful ways. its perfect and far from cliches to me...but everyone has an opinion so....

It's been several weeks after I saw FR for the first time and I still stand by my new top 5.

1. Die Hard, Terminator 2 (Die Hard if forced to choose)
3. Aliens
4. Terminator
5. Fury Road

In fact, Fury Road might just leapfrog Terminator, but I'll have to rewatch Terminator first before I reach the final verdict.

TVTropes is one of the worst things to happen to online movie criticism and conversation. Its like when people start complaining about those MacGuffins in Marvel/Mission Impossible movies, now that they learned what the name of that plot device is. Like they figured out that new curse word and can't wait to show it off at every instance, even if it doesn't make sense.

Plus, more often than not, the "macguffins" aren't even fucking macguffins. But who needs to possess clear understanding of the concepts being trashed when you can shortcut your way to fearless dillettante-status in just a couple clicks?

JDSN

Banned
I was thinking about the movie a few days back and I really liked how the wives talk, you can tell they are in some golden cage scenario by the way they have time to ask themselves this questions about the end of the world when everybody is just trying to survive. Plus I love how they finish each other's sentences.

Its the little things that make this movie so great.

What basic tropes are they following? What exactly is this movie rehashing? There is really nothing else like it, not even other movies in its respective franchise. I don't expect people to like any movie but the things your claiming aren't a subjective opinion and I feel like you should back them up when making such large claims. Especially when they go against what essentially everyone is saying about the movie.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about the movie a few days back and I really liked how the wives talk, you can tell they are in some golden cage scenario by the way they have time to ask themselves this questions about the end of the world when everybody is just trying to survive. Plus I love how they finish each other's sentences.

Its the little things that make this movie so great.

Yep, I actually appreaciated more their relationship in the second viewing. Very well done.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
all cliches/tropes in this movie are a perfect example of how to do them right, every character is here to show you how fucked up the world is, they are no random joes in this movie. they are all there to push the world building in meaningful ways. its perfect and far from cliches to me...but everyone has an opinion so....

CLEVER WITNESS!!!!

marrec

Banned

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much as many other people.

Anyway, lets get back to talking about how Fury Road is the best Action movie of all time. And about how Furiosa is one of the most refreshing examples of a badass character in the genre.

Veelk

Banned
TV tropes are fun and CAN help you understand what is going on. However, when the tropes replace the argument itself, it becomes asinine. You can't have a movie without a trope, because even THAT is a trope.

Jurassic World's handling of female characters (and it's stance on women in general) made me kinda sick to my stomach tbh, and then I thought about Fury Road and I was ok again

Trey

Anyway, lets get back to talking about how Fury Road is the best Action movie of all time. And about how Furiosa is one of the most refreshing examples of a badass character in the genre.

I mean at this point what can any of us even say? The movie is glorious - in my opinion iconic. I went back to my action movie cornerstones just to make double sure and Fury Road still stands out.

It's no fluke and probably the most fun I've had with a movie ever. I still want to go to a showing and I've already seen it four times.

marrec

Banned
I mean at this point what can any of us even say? The movie is glorious - in my opinion iconic. I went back to my action movie cornerstones just to make double sure and Fury Road still stands out.

It's no fluke and probably the most fun I've had with a movie ever. I still want to go to a showing and I've already seen it four times.

I wanted to see it a 3rd time in Theaters (which would be a first for me) but unfortunately it's not showing anywhere near me anymore and now I have to wait for On Demand/Blu-Ray.

I'm probably going to double dip if it releases On Demand first.

Jurassic World's handling of female characters (and it's stance on women in general) made me kinda sick to my stomach tbh, and then I thought about Fury Road and I was ok again

It has no negative stance on women and it gave Bryce the most to do out of any character even with Pratt there. She broke out of her day to day shell and took charge of the situation big time. It's basic, but it's not sexist or some gross way of writing a female character. Even Joss Whedon backtracked on it and it was pretty much his original comments that got people to jump on a bandwagon that never took off. I'll likely regret even commenting on this but I didn't expect to see it again as when the movie actually came out people retracted their claims after the proper context.

Anyway Fury Road doesn't have Furlong so that means Fury Road > T2. But I've never loved T2 that much to begin with.

hokahey

Max was very, very good. But T2 was a special place and time. Throwing out the technical aspects. T2 was a "had to have been there" kind of scenario. It captured the cultural zeitgeist of early 90s LA. It oozed cool. It brought about new effects that were mind blowing at the time. If you were a teenager, and weren't listening to GnR, and hadn't seen T2, you didn't know shit.

You can't compare Max to that.

Max was very, very good. But T2 was a special place and time. Throwing out the technical aspects. T2 was a "had to have been there" kind of scenario. It captured the cultural zeitgeist of early 90s LA. It oozed cool. It brought about new effects that were mind blowing at the time. If you were a teenager, and weren't listening to GnR, and hadn't seen T2, you didn't know shit.

T2 definitely has its cultural value, especially since it's been out for as long as it has. Max just came out so of course you can't compare it in that way.

fury Road is better than T2 because it doesnt have John Conner or other goofy shit dragging it down. It's like T2's canal chase but juiced up throughout the whole movie and sprinkled with tons of unique, badass characters.

It has no negative stance on women and it gave Bryce the most to do out of any character even with Pratt there. She broke out of her day to day shell and took charge of the situation big time. It's basic, but it's not sexist or some gross way of writing a female character. Even Joss Whedon backtracked on it and it was pretty much his original comments that got people to jump on a bandwagon that never took off. I'll likely regret even commenting on this but I didn't expect to see it again as when the movie actually came out people retracted their claims after the proper context.

Bryce's character is pitied when she says she doesn't want kids. The mom character is all "don't say that you'll change your mind!" and Bryce is played up as emotionless and uncaring because she is career oriented and doesn't want a relationship or children. Her entire arc is centered around reinforcing the nuclear family as the ideal. The other female character who's only crime in the movie is not digging children gets the most brutal, gratuitous, over the top death in the entire movie. Worse than the movie's actual villain by a ton. And this was basically a crowd pleaser moment, relishing the destruction wrought upon her.

It's gross, and the reason I really am not okay with the movie's astounding box office success, because that means that there is an enormous audience that this ideology is being purveyed to as being okay. Blockbusters, because of their mainstream appeal, have a heightened responsibility I believe with what sort of ideologies they convey. JW is sadly not alone in the least bit in it's stance on women, but it is one of the more egregious and blatant examples I've seen recently.

I have to admit I have almost no nostalgia for Terminator 2. I watched it once when I was 5 or 6, but I wasn't in awe or anything. Watched it again 13 years later (2015) and I think it's a great action film, but... I just don't care for it all that much. Heresy, I know.

I love The Terminator though.

Trey

The other female character who's only crime in the movie is not digging children gets the most brutal, gratuitous, over the top death in the entire movie. Worse than the movie's actual villain by a ton. And this was basically a crowd pleaser moment, relishing the destruction wrought upon her.

Yeah I fell asleep in JW and woke back up about a half hour before she got mauled. All I remember thinking was "what did this girl even do to get the extra fuck you death?"

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
fury Road is better than T2 because it doesnt have John Conner or other goofy shit dragging it down. It's like T2's canal chase but juiced up throughout the whole movie and sprinkled with tons of unique, badass characters.

Bryce's character is pitied when she says she doesn't want kids. The mom character is all "don't say that you'll change your mind!" and Bryce is played up as emotionless and uncaring because she is career oriented and doesn't want a relationship or children. Her entire arc is centered around reinforcing the nuclear family as the ideal. The other female character who's only crime in the movie is not digging children gets the most brutal, gratuitous, over the top death in the entire movie. Worse than the movie's actual villain by a ton. And this was basically a crowd pleaser moment, relishing the destruction wrought upon her.

It's gross, and the reason I really am not okay with the movie's astounding box office success, because that means that there is an enormous audience that this ideology is being purveyed to as being okay. Blockbusters, because of their mainstream appeal, have a heightened responsibility I believe with what sort of ideologies they convey. JW is sadly not alone in the least bit in it's stance on women, but it is one of the more egregious and blatant examples I've seen recently.
The dialog between Pratt's character and her in the dude's cabin with all the sexual innuendo was absolutely cringe worthy. I was kind of shocked that made it into the final draft of the script, it wasn't even funny.

Bryce's character is pitied when she says she doesn't want kids. The mom character is all "don't say that you'll change your mind!" and Bryce is played up as emotionless and uncaring because she is career oriented and doesn't want a relationship or children. Her entire arc is centered around reinforcing the nuclear family as the ideal.

I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not unrealistic either. I think you're making something out of nothing. There's also the wider context: she's the park manager and her job is stressful enough having to coordinate everything, and her boss is there as he's come to see the new dinosaur. The only reason she's played up as "emotionless" is because we meet her on a trying day. She even tells Karen that it was a bad day for the kids to come. I used to go to my mom's job when I was a kid and she'd barely even have time to look at me. Doesn't mean she's an emotionless, uncaring bitch.

The other female character who's only crime in the movie is not digging children gets the most brutal, gratuitous, over the top death in the entire movie.

Same thing here. She wasn't killed because of a "crime" or whatever. People were dying in that scene and it focuses on her death because she was recognizable. It was originally going to be some random employee based on storyboards and I don't think it would have been quite as shocking. Also Jurassic Park movies are notorious for at least one nasty and prolonged death scene. It's just part of the pedigree. It wasn't making some statement against women. Characters don't have to have a reason to deserve death to die in such a circumstance.

Getting way off topic though, this is the Mad Max thread :p I'll just say that whatever your thoughts are on it, that they're yours to have and I shouldn't really butt in.

Yeah I fell asleep in JW and woke back up about a half hour before she got mauled. All I remember thinking was "what did this girl even do to get the extra fuck you death?"

Apparently the greatest sin in JW's universe is being a woman who doesn't care about kids.

And yet it's a fairly niche movie. So you can't. It's like comparing Radiohead to Nirvana. You can do it, but one had a FAR greater cultural impact.

I think they're just trying to say that regardless of cultural impact, Max is better than T2 and I agree with them.

marrec

Banned
And yet it's a fairly niche movie. So you can't. It's like comparing Radiohead to Nirvana. You can do it, but one had a FAR greater cultural impact.

To be fair, the cultural impact of Fury Road is going to have wide ripples. We haven't seen the peak of it yet.

Who's talking about cultural impact? And why? Who cares? Mad Max is a better action movie than T2 is. No amount of nostalgia is changing that.

And I like the idea of Radiohead = Fury Road in your comparison, but I'd argue that the T2 analog would be (obviously) Guns 'n' Roses.

Top Bottom