• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

tumblr_mfd60rtmw81ritbuto1_500.gif

I love the film, but some of those criticisms do ring true. It's very unlike the first two (never seen thunderdome). It's a balls to the walls action film but max is a pretty irrelevant character in the story and it's not trying to replicate the tone of the earlier stuff. I could see some people not liking it if pure action wasn't their thing and they were expecting more of the old stuff.

i don't think he was ever planning on on continuing with furiosa anyways. it would be a pretty stupid move too unless it directly relates to the citadel. she's played her part.

Indeed. There's maybe room for some backstory to her character but she's settled and has her work cut out for her fixing up agriculture land.

Air

Banned
I didn't like the original movies (they were pretty boring, and I just couldn't get into Mel Gibson wandering the desert), but this movie was really amazing in every way. All the characters were great, it had- by far the most interesting world building I've seen in any blockbuster since who knows when and the pacing was great. I also love that the whole movie is an elaborate chase.

It really was amazing.

Edit: I went in blind expecting to be disappointed because of the originals. I'm glad I was wrong.

The movie just went live on iTunes. I don't care if it is coming to blu ray in two weeks, I will buy it twice.

Shiny and chrome.

Edit: Watching special features tonight since I don't want to blow the neighbors out. But the Crash & Smash clip is nuts. A look at the stunt and crashes as they were filmed, before computer filters and compositing was done. Just insane to see it raw.

And Richard Norton was the fight coordinator? Badass!

ugoo18

The movie just went live on iTunes. I don't care if it is coming to blu ray in two weeks, I will buy it twice.

Shiny and chrome.

Edit: Watching special features tonight since I don't want to blow the neighbors out. But the Crash & Smash clip is nuts. A look at the stunt and crashes as they were filmed, before computer filters and compositing was done. Just insane to see it raw.

And Richard Norton was the fight coordinator? Badass!

Is the Digital HD version live anywhere else?

I don't want to use Itunes again lol.

preordered the 3D bluray of this. I never do that, i usually wait for a film to be on sale at or below $15 before i pick it up but i want to see this film in all its glory asap

Zombine

Banned
My road to Fury Road began today with Mondo's timed Mad Max poster launch. Then I wait patiently for the 1st and pick up both the game and the Blu Ray.

-griffy-

Banned
do we know what the steelbook cover looks like?
or is it literally just the standard cover art on a steelbook

The art on that Best Buy site is the steelbook cover.

Steelbook:
kh8Eq1Dl.png

Regular 2D Blu-ray:
91%2BZPgXjUCL._SY679_.jpg

3D Blu-ray:
91thcgvpwEL._SX522_.jpg

This is kind of a bummer of a release for such a great movie. Not even a commentary with George Miller.

Hey all if you pre-order the steelbook at Best Buy this week you get a code for the digital copy via cinemanow free. First time I've done this so not 100% on all the details but the code worked and it's part of my uv library.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If anyone doesn't want their digital copy, can I request yours pretty please

Stuck in hospital for 5, going on 6 months, missed most summer blockbusters, if not I'll await eventually when it's shown on cable, have all premium apps running through FiOS

Bah! I didn't watch the movie today because I wanted my wife to see it. But she was in her normal "I don't want to watch it but I have no idea what I want to watch." moods. Which means channel surfing tonight. Ugh.

Mediocre!

Magwik

Banned
I just realized this is probably now my favorite movie ever upon reflection. I've never been compelled to watch a movie four times then be excited to see it a fifth in two weeks.

lemmykoopa

Any word on Special Features to be included on the blu ray? I would like an extensive making off featurette but I have a hunch the first few blu ray releases will have very poor choice of behind the scenes stuff.

Was browsing Amazon UK and found this Mad Max Anthology that comes with some nice artcards.
5 disc Blu-ray set. 4 film collection plus bonus Madness of Max feature-length documentary and 4 exclusive artcards in a rigid slipcase.

The Madness of Max is a feature-length documentary on the making of arguably the most influential movie of the past thirty years. With over forty cast-and-crew interviews, hundreds of behind-the-scenes photographs and never-before-seen film footage of the shoot, this is without a doubt the last word on Mad Max. Interviews include: George Miller, Byron Kennedy, Mel Gibson, Hugh Keays-Byrne, Steve Bisley, Roger Ward, Joanne Samuel, David Eggby, Jon Dowding and many more. From the Producers to the Bike Designers to the Traffic Stoppers, this is the story of how Mad Max was made.

You can buy Fury Road on the Microsoft/Xbox Video Store as of now. I might cave before the Blue Ray comes out just so I can watch it with friends before college.

Edit: Nevermind, old news. And it's on VUDU so I'll just get it HDX.

obin_gam

Any word on Special Features to be included on the blu ray? I would like an extensive making off featurette but I have a hunch the first few blu ray releases will have very poor choice of behind the scenes stuff.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/mad-max-fury-road.html
Both Blu-ray Combo Packs and the DVD are set to include:

Maximum Fury: Filming Fury Road
Mad Max: Fury on Four Wheels
The Road Warriors: Max and Furiosa
The Tools of the Wasteland
The Five Wives: So Shiny, So Chrome
Fury Road: Crash & Smash
Deleted Scenes

Also available on September 1 will be the Mad Max 4-Film Blu-ray Anthology, which will include Mad Max (1979), The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), and Mad Max: Fury Road on Blu-ray disc. The anthology also includes the documentary Madness of Max on DVD along with Mad Max Anthology trading cards.

Shame that the bonus features won't vary between the iTunes and the BD.

Will still be nabbing the BD, but the normal one because neither the 3D nor steelbook best the art of just Furiosa and Max for me.

SpaceHorror

No director's commentary? Shameful.

I reckon we'll be getting a special edition in the future with the black and white version and a commentary.

At least I hope we will.

SJRB

Gold Member
How shiny is the 3D in this? I have a 3D tv but never bothered to get active 3D glasses. Might get em for this one though, provided the 3D is good enough.

How shiny is the 3D in this? I have a 3D tv but never bothered to get active 3D glasses. Might get em for this one though, provided the 3D is good enough.

I saw the movie in 2D and 3D. At the beginning, there are a lot of quick shots with a ramped up framerate; the 3D is almost headache inducing. Once the movie gets going, the 3D doesn't really add to the experience, but it's not awful either.

gabbo

We're never going to get to see the silent/bw version Miller went on about, are we?
I almost want to hold off buying it in case there's another edition with those on it

Loxley

We're never going to get to see the silent/bw version Miller went on about, are we?
I almost want to hold off buying it in case there's another edition with those on it

Fury Road strikes me as the kind of movie that will do very well on BD/DVD thanks to the overwhelmingly positive word-of-mouth the film has gotten since it's theatrical release. If WB sees strong sales, I don't think a "special edition" re-release down the line (with the B&W version) would be entirely out of the question.

Unless of course Miller has straight-up said we'll never see the B&W version that is.

Top Bottom