• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Veelk

Banned
That's the thing, even putting it in this terms, doesn't seem to be some sort of anti male message, like, Joe was a shitty tyrant who deserved being taken off, it's not like they took him down cause "boo the patriarchy, boo!"

More like "Boo the toxic masculinity, boo!" And patriarchy too, I guess.

Patriarchy is a system where the men are the heads of any system of power by virtue of their being male. Joe ran an extreme patriarchy. Presumably, the wives and Furiosa will be put in positions of power. I'm sure there will be men in positions of power as well, Joe's patriarchy IS the system being taken down here.

It's not anti-man, but it is saying a system where only men have say in power is wrong.

PSqueak

Banned

Interesting read, the things noted there are precisely the reasons why i loved the movie so much and made the characters feel real, i think anybody who sees all of those things and thinks "this movie is being mean to men, waaaah" is an idiot and needs to live in the real world, that's why i was surprised the movie rustled so many MRA jimmies.

I guess i'll never understad the mindset of those people.

Well, it's playing here in IMAX (actual IMAX, even!) but I've seen it 5 times and own it digitally so I think I'll pass.

Mission Impossible time this weekend.

I feel like I'll regret this

You're lucky. My local lie-max is still showing jurassic world. Give it a shot if you have time. The release doesn't seem to be as wide as you'd think.

Toothless

Just came back from my fourth watch, but this time in IMAX 3D (although I still haven’t picked up the Blu-Ray.) Still quite lovely and the sound system added quite a bit to the film. Don't see Theron or Hoult not being on my personal ballot for Best Actress and Supporting Actor respectively.

Watched this shit for the fourth time on Blu-Ray....seriously love it even more, b. The way Furiosa's profile matches the color scheme in certain compositions

tumblr_inline_nu4pbsaKqd1r2eb40_500.png

When Max instinctively hides the blood map from Furiosa even though he's gonna show it to her tomorrow

tumblr_inline_nreepryXq11r2eb40_500.png

The various emotions going through Furiosa and Max's head when he turns her down. "Of course he'd say that. What was I thinking? He won't even tell you his name." "Should I have turned her down? She probably didn't make that offer lightly. Shit."

tumblr_nqp5j44xWB1qclo8ro6_400.gif
tumblr_nqp5j44xWB1qclo8ro7_400.gif

A few harsh cries of "MEDIOCRE!" as War Boy in the first chase sacrifices himself. "There's high ground just beyond that thing!"/"He means the tree."/"Yeah, the tree thing!" and what that said about the education of the War Boys vs the Wives. The absolutely goddamn perfect editing in the final chase, to keep so many moving parts working at the same time, always mindful of so many characters at every moment...

When she shouts "He's dead! He's dead!", her voice echoes through the canyon walls, Nux's reaction shot to the death of the man he used to idol

what a fuckin' movie

gabbo

I should have noted that i meant the movie is not "feminist" in the twisted crazy person MRA meaning, not in the real, reasonable person meaning. My bad.

That's the thing, even putting it in this terms, doesn't seem to be some sort of anti male message, like, Joe was a shitty tyrant who deserved being taken off, it's not like they took him down cause "boo the patriarchy, boo!"

I never agreed with the stance that it was somehow feminist propaganda meant to emasculate men/action movies, but what I said before was what they'd have to work with.

TheUsual

Gold Member
My girlfriend bought me the bluray edition for my birthday.
Watched twice in 2 days. Love this movie.
Can't wait for the day I have a proper surround sound setup as the music really helped with the experience.

Saw this for the first time last night. Not bad. Action is one of my least favorite genres so I found myself getting a little bored at times, but it was still a fun watch.

I invited my friend over and showed him the movie, afterwards he said he was disappointed that the movie has no story and gave it a 4/10.

I always know he has horrible taste in movies but that was too much.

those blue gifs are beautiful. somebody needs to bring back the t2 blue night hues to some more movies. look how nice that shit looks.

mad props to them doing some major colour grading for this movie. i remember the promo pics looking like ugly ass grey and brown.

This film's 3D blu-ray reinforces my realization that 3D at home >>>>>>> 3D at a theater.

Being able to see my surroundings enhances the effect within the picture more so that when it takes up my entire field of vision.

That, and the 3D is so well done.

I just watched this last night.

Holy crap it was amazing. It's not often anymore that movies hold my attention. Too often, I get bored and whip out my phone to send a text or read a few emails and then spend the rest of the movie looking back and forth between my phone and the movie.

But Mad Max actually held my attention from beginning. It was so visually unique that I just wanted to take it all in. I was enthralled. I haven't had that experience with a movie in a long while.

Thought the movie was just good the first time, but holy shit, it was even better the 2nd time around. Definitely top 3 movie I saw this year thus far.

KingGondo

Banned
I invited my friend over and showed him the movie, afterwards he said he was disappointed that the movie has no story and gave it a 4/10.
And this is why mass-market movies have clumsy expository dialogue and title cards.

People are too used to be being spoon-fed information.

I know just the right movie to show to this man: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

That's his punishment.

Llyranor

The Blu extras are pretty nice, especially the stunts/cars ones. So much detail in the cars/items!

Since I picked up the Anthology, I also watched the original trilogy for the first time this week.

Mad Max 1 was.... disappointing. It was just a low-budget cop/revenge movie with a few stunts. I was really let down by it.

Road Warrior was.... great! I was worried because of Mad Max 1, and thought maybe the action scenes would be a bit dated compared to Fury Road, but they still hold pretty well! Nicely paced action film. I can see why this one is a classic.

Thunderdome was also pretty good. I really like the concept and look of Bartertown, and the last chase scene was great. I can see why people would dislike the film for its downtime in the middle, but the kids were tolerable to me. I guess they were kind of this franchise's Ewoks (which I never really minded in Jedi as a kid). I did like how the film portrayed the old world becoming mythology through the eyes of people who never lived it.

LosDaddie

Banned
This movie is finally available on Netflix. I'll be getting in the bluray tomorrow. I just got the email.

I already told the wife that the kids WILL be in bed by 8pm tomorrow so we can watch it, and not fall asleep. She said she was ready to watch the movie again, and told me not to laugh during the movie like last time.

Can't wait.

I'd really like to see a B&W version in better resolution, but it's really surprising how well it works as a silent movie.

I can live with the resolution. I just want to see it with the sound effects mix intact. Some of it is there, but it is very toned down. Considering what the uploader had to work with, he did a fantastic job though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was disappointed by it, it was basically one long car chase. The effects were cool though. I have to say I much prefer the game which is great IMO.

And this is why mass-market movies have clumsy expository dialogue and title cards.

People are too used to be being spoon-fed information.
Yep, I explained to him character development is a huge focus of the movie, but he kept insisting that's not story
I know just the right movie to show to this man: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

That's his punishment.
I've never seen that one before, what's it like?

I was disappointed by it, it was basically one long car chase. The effects were cool though. I have to say I much prefer the game which is great IMO.

You should read up on the film. There's quite a lot that counters the "just a car chase" critique, many of which can be easily found in this thread. Doesn't mean you'll like the film, necessarily, but there's a lot more going on than just the car chase.

Glad to hear that game's enjoyable though. I've been on the fence about it for awhile.

edit: This B&W version is amazing. Some of these scenes are even more tense than the first time I saw it, and I've already watched the movie 6 times. Everything is just that much more easier to follow the action is all the more intense and stunning for it. Just outstanding.

ezekial45

Banned

It's pretty great, but I wished he would've cut down on the dialog scenes a bit more. It's a bit odd seeing them just mouth out dialog. I thought i was gonna be a silent-movie type thing with the intercuts, but nope. Did Miller say that his version was supposed to be dialog-free? I just thought he meant black and white only.

Still really good, though. I'm very impressed with how this turned out.

It's pretty great, but I wished he would've cut down on the dialog scenes a bit more. It's a bit odd seeing them just mouth out dialog. I thought i was gonna be a silent-movie type thing with the intercuts, but nope. Did Miller say that his version was supposed to be dialog-free? I just thought he meant black and white only.

Still really good, though. I'm very impressed with how this turned out.

I kind of like the visual dialogue being left in. There have been a few places that it hasn't worked, but overall I dig it. I can see a case being made for either side in the official version.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Yeah, you really shouldn't be friends with people who use 10 point scales to rate movie. You ain't really need more than 5 stars.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Eh, removing that original narration is a mistake. Especially given the 'silent' film doesn't cut the reporting of the rising apocalypse, or the SFX/music. Only reason I can see for them cutting the narration is that Max's 'my world is fire' doesn't work at all if the film is black and white.

Also, honestly, the lack of other dialogue bugs me. You cut out the War Boy's witness mantra and Max's reveal of his name, and you're losing out on some important and awesome shit.

Tizoc

Anyone know where I can find the bluray steelbook for cheap? my PS3 and PS4 are EU region far as playing blurays go.

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody have a favorite review (or two) for this movie that they'd like to share?

I want to send my wife a couple for her to read before we watch the movie tonight.

Thanks!

Top Bottom