• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Stronty

Cant wait for all the alternate versions like the b+w and silent, I would also like to see a non color corrected version be made available even if it is a bit rough.

I knew that Slit was a real bastard on first view. On second view that was reinforced.

Third view I caught him screaming "MEDIOCRE" at the guy who jumped off the back of the truck with two Thundersticks.

Slit is a post-apocalyptic hater to Silky Johnson levels.

He's drawing a map back to the citadel, the one he uses to present his plan the next day. He was already thinking about the idea when Furiosa asks to talk to him.

I don't think he was thinking of that plan, he was just filling in information he had learned of the area since his capture and imprisonment at the citadel

Toothless

Damn it, my glasses are missing (and have been missing for a couple of days). If I can't find them by Saturday, no Fury Road IMAX 3D ride for me :(

The behind the scenes footage made me appreciate how insanely bonkers the stunt work is. I mean, I got that it looked fairly authentic but my first thought was, "cg nowadays." The crew actually did just about everything. The polecats were for real. What? That whole sequence capitalised by the truck explosion (which wasnt cg). Fuck! The tornado in the sandstorm was probably real too.

As far as the story goes, on second thought I think it came down to that I didn't like how nicely it ended. Even if it ended with them outside is the Citadel. The sequence was just too neat I felt. And Max never got his car back. Without the car Max is like Knight Rider with just David Hasselhof.

Yeah seeing how like 90% of the stunts and stuff were real made the movie all the better

Christine

I don't think he was thinking of that plan, he was just filling in information he had learned of the area since his capture and imprisonment at the citadel

The citadel is very obviously the focus of the map. It's in the center, the Immortan's flaming wheel picked out in bright red blood. It's what he shows Furiosa and the others when he's trying to convince them to go back. But his habits of withdrawal and isolation and his fear of failing people who rely on him initially win out, so he just tells her he'll "go his own way" when she describes her intent to ride out through the salt flat.

Catdaddy

Finally saw it, and was prepared to be let down due to the hype... Nope, was a great ride. Equal if not better to the first 2 (Thunderdome--well...bleh)

My wife on the other hand, "didn't get it" - she usually likes movies like this, but whatever...

GhaleonEB

The citadel is very obviously the focus of the map. It's in the center, the Immortan's flaming wheel picked out in bright red blood. It's what he shows Furiosa and the others when he's trying to convince them to go back. But his habits of withdrawal and isolation and his fear of failing people who rely on him initially win out, so he just tells her he'll "go his own way" when she describes her intent to ride out through the salt flat.

I'd interpreted it as being a map he'd made for his own purposes. If he was going to go his own way, as he put it, out in land that was unfamiliar to him, then heading out with a map of the territory he had already been to made sense; I pictured him as having made a similar much larger map before his capture and now he was starting over. It started with the Citadel because that's where they left from. I don't think he decided on that course of action until after his old demons began to haunt him.

At least, that was my interpretation. Yours is also an entirely possible take on the scene that I had not thought of.

Is it just me or were the audio levels in this unbalanced? I just watched it streaming through Amazon and the music and sound effects were loud as shit, but half the time when people talked it pretty much amounted to whispers. I had to turn the TV up from the low 20s into the 60s just to hear some of the dialogue. Is it always that way or was it an issue with the streaming?

Other then that I loved the movie. Great action, enjoyable characters, great cinematography, great music. Pretty much great everything.

Is it just me or were the audio levels in this unbalanced? I just watched it streaming through Amazon and the music and sound effects were loud as shit, but half the time when people talked it pretty much amounted to whispers. I had to turn the TV up from the low 20s into the 60s just to hear some of the dialogue. Is it always that way or was it an issue with the streaming?

Other then that I loved the movie. Great action, enjoyable characters, great cinematography, great music. Pretty much great everything.

Sounds like the sound mix was fine and the dynamic range wasn't compressed.

Diabelli

I knew that Slit was a real bastard on first view. On second view that was reinforced.

Third view I caught him screaming "MEDIOCRE" at the guy who jumped off the back of the truck with two Thundersticks.

Yeah, he even tried to steal Morsov's thunder by trying to sneak in his own explosive spear. Morsov is probably still standing outside the gates of Valhalla trying to prove he killed the buzzards with a frame-by-frame video breakdown.

Christine

I'd interpreted it as being a map he'd made for his own purposes. If he was going to go his own way, as he put it, out in land that was unfamiliar to him, then heading out with a map of the territory he had already been to made sense; I pictured him as having made a similar much larger map before his capture and now he was starting over. It started with the Citadel because that's where they left from. I don't think he decided on that course of action until after his old demons began to haunt him.

At least, that was my interpretation. Yours is also an entirely possible take on the scene that I had not thought of.

I think the climax of Max's arc in this film is when he tells Furiosa his name. He's doing his best to save her life but he doesn't know whether she's going to pull through or die in his arms. He accepts the risk of failing someone he cares about again, someone whose last words might be "Home, you didn't get me home".

He's thinking about the people he couldn't save even while he's fighting Furiosa over the water and boltcutters and the War Rig, Even if it wasn't fully realized when he spoke to Furiosa at night, the map is representative of his plan as a visual prop a mere two scenes later so I think it's not a reach to say it represents it here as well.

Quixzlizx

I think he was shouting it at the Buzzards.

I think he was shouting it at the Buzzards.

No, he specifically says "MEDIOCRE, MORSOV."

He's just hating. It makes his "I got the blood bag's boot!" even funnier. I mean, it was funny due to how pathetic it was initially, but now, seeing what a petty little fuck of a troll he is, it's even funnier. That's like, his one real victory. That boot. But anyone else succeeds within his line of sight and he just shits on it.

At least Slit finally got to drive the car at the end. And promptly got crushed for it like the tool he was.

Also, he has to even copy Nux and Max by spitting the fuel into the intake. He can't just use his squirt bottle when someone else is doing it in a cooler fashion.

Cycloptis

What did people think of the deleted scenes?

Although, I think I should be asking how did people find the second deleted scene (the one with The History Woman) since despite all three being superfluous, the other two are especially so.

I found the History Woman deleted scene to feel a bit...B-movie? But apart from Rictus' silly acting in full force, I think it gave Immortan Joe and the War Boys a sense of mean-spirited-ness that even the rest of the movie didn't display as blatantly. Maybe it had to do with the soundtrack, the editing, and Joe's acting, but they felt much more evil in this scene than at any other time in the film.

Cess007

Finally got to watch the BD today. Man, i loved all the behind scenes almost as much as i loved the movie (The 'Crash and Smash' video was friggin awesome). I

Toxi

Banned

I saw in Slit a collection of all my worst traits: Desperate for attention, overly cynical and negative, oblivious to his own incompetence, and unable to ever come up with an original thought.

So it was very satisfying to see him crushed between the War Rig and the People Eater's limo. :p

NotLiquid

I don't know whether I should choose between the Steelbook Blu-Ray or the Anthology Blu-Ray when this movie drops here. On one hand, the Steelbook version has a 3D disc which I don't care for that much (and bumps up the price) and I really want the whole series. On the other, I really fucking like Steelbooks.

I was wondering, could Nux have survived the crash at the end?

It's possible, but I don't think that matters. He was a character that was part of a race that lived to die young. His arc in Fury Road has more to do with him finding true purpose in his death.

Fury Road stuntwoman in coma after high-speed crash on the set of the new Resident Evil movie :(
muU6vRp.jpg

The stuntwoman was performing a motorbike chase scene.

A 32-year-old British stuntwoman -- who is featured in the upcoming Star Wars movie -- is in a coma after a crash on Saturday on the set of Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

According to The Sun, Olivia Jackson crashed into a metal camera arm while shooting a high-speed motorbike chase in Johannesburg, South Africa. She is currently in an induced coma with a punctured lung and head injuries.

"It wasn’t a very dangerous stunt," a source told The Sun. "She was riding a motorbike in a straight line but due to the scene she had no protective gear or helmet. There is a metal arm, which carries the camera along. But it malfunctioned and didn’t lift up. It was totally out of her control. She had no chance. She is a lovely lady, the most generous person you could ever meet.”

Jackson has worked as a stunt double for many actresses in high profile films in recent yeard. In addition to performing stunts for Daisy Ridley in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, she also doubled for Karen Gillan in Guardians of the Galaxy and Charlize Theron and Rosie Huntington-Whitely in MadMax: Fury Road.

In a statement on his Facebook page, Jackson's husband, David Grant — also a stuntman — wrote, "I want you all to know that she has been making steady progress and your thoughts and good vibes are all working so please keep them up! She's my inspiration and my world and one tuff little mother f—er ! She's fighting hard … "

Grant was filming in Malta when the accident occurred and rushed to be with his wife in Johannesburg. The crash is currently under investigation.
Just goes to show how stuntmen and women are so amazing. They literally risk their lives for our entertainment.

Veelk

Banned
My sympathies.

Did George Miller take any extra precautions that are otherwise overlooked in most situations when shooting Fury Road, or was this just an accident that is bound to happen in the careers?

Savitar

Miller has seen first hand what broken bodies look like due to what his job use to be so every film he does he makes sure is safe as possible even if they do some crazy stuff. He doesn't want anyone hurt. Pretty sure someone posted a good link on the subject some time ago, maybe they can post it again.

This past Saturday I went to Best Buy and guess what.......found a steelbox copy of MM:FR still there.

Then I bought a new HD TV to watch it on.

I was wondering, could Nux have survived the crash at the end?

Due to needing Max for blood and his talk with his lancer before they took off I was of the mindset Nux was pretty much walking dead already and it's why he was so determined to go out with a bang. He wanted what all the war boys wanted, that amazing death since his time was pretty much up. The crash likely took whatever was left in him, if not he likely soon expired without a blood bank.

breadtruck

This past Saturday I went to Best Buy and guess what.......found a steelbox copy of MM:FR still there.

Nice. I went for my preorder the day of, and they didnt have any more (apparently I wasnt fast enough.) I got the non-steelbook version and a $10 gift card.

I really wanted that steel book, but getting the movie for essentially $10? Cant beat that.

Rewatched it again on BD and man... what a visual feast for the eyes this movie is. The BD is of reference material by the way and the sound mix, my god.. if you got yourself a decent home theater be prepared to have your new demo disk. The sound is ferocious firing on all cylinders till the very end. So shiny, so chrome, so good!

I know it's wrong but I have an irrational desire to blame incompetent Paul W.S. Anderson for this, and want to believe that George Miller would not have let such a thing happen.

mm04

Watched it this week in 3D and it was a spectacular home theater movie. The ending was simple but gratifying to me and I really enjoyed the Max / Furiosa dynamic and the fact there was no tacked on love story. I really hope another one gets made one day.

PSqueak

Banned
Finally got to see this movie, blew away my mind and all my expectations!....

...well, except for one.

This is the movie MRAs were bitching about being feminist agenda? like what?

I didn't think this was feminist propaganda or anything, i mean it is feminist in the sense that Furiosa is a strong, well rounded full character, but people made it sound like she was going to be a mary sue and max a bumbling idiot or something, i don't understand how people could have gotten that from this movie.

10/10 really, not a single dull moment, loved Nux's character arc.

CREMSteve

Picked up the BD of this, it looks and sounds amazing. Great flick, I hadn't seen it until now.

But holy shit, the bass track on this movie is NUTS, I had to turn my sub down to almost nothing, it's craziness.

...well, except for one.

I didn't think this was feminist propaganda or anything, i mean it is feminist in the sense that Furiosa is a strong, well rounded full character, but people made it sound like she was going to be a mary sue and max a bumbling idiot or something, i don't understand how people could have gotten that from this movie.

The movie doesn't need to be anti-men to be pro-women.

gabbo

...well, except for one.

The Many Mothers (feminists) go back to the Citadel (society) to enact their rules and change to make things better (feminist agenda) after killing Joe (uh... I guess who men should be cheering for?).
Despite it being Max's idea in the firs place.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The Many Mothers (feminists) go back to the Citadel (society) to enact their rules and change to make things better (feminist agenda) after killing Joe (uh... I guess who men should be cheering for?).

Amazing movie.

PSqueak

Banned
The movie doesn't need to be anti-men to be pro-women.

I should have noted that i meant the movie is not "feminist" in the twisted crazy person MRA meaning, not in the real, reasonable person meaning. My bad.

That's the thing, even putting it in this terms, doesn't seem to be some sort of anti male message, like, Joe was a shitty tyrant who deserved being taken off, it's not like they took him down cause "boo the patriarchy, boo!"

SFenton

Well, it's playing here in IMAX (actual IMAX, even!) but I've seen it 5 times and own it digitally so I think I'll pass.

Mission Impossible time this weekend.

I feel like I'll regret this

Top Bottom