• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I'm really tempted to pick up the blu-ray but knowing it will be ten dollars in a few months to a year makes the purchase less enticing. Also the whole not having actual cash thing, only credit...

gabbo

I'm really tempted to pick up the blu-ray but knowing it will be ten dollars in a few months to a year makes the purchase less enticing. Also the whole not having actual cash thing, only credit...

Worth every penny, so why wait... well except the no money thing

Theecliff

Banned
so wait, is the black & white ver of the film not in normal blu ray editions?

oh and of course the blu ray only comes out in october over here. ffsssssssssssss

mattp

no black & white cut anywhere

also, no director's commentary

i think i'm just gonna wait and hope they put out a better version with that stuff next year.

kaskade

The Blu Ray is god damn incredible. This might be my go to show off the system blu Ray now. Helps that it's also an amazing movie.

found a copy at the third store I checked today. The 3D and anthology BR's were in stock, the standard BR were sold out. Dang near bought the anthology anyway.

Going to break it in tomorrow with a buddy who hasn't seen it yet. I wish to carry him to the gates of Valhalla!

found a copy at the third store I checked today. The 3D and anthology BR's were in stock, the standard BR were sold out. Dang near bought the anthology anyway.

Going to break it in tomorrow with a buddy who hasn't seen it yet. I wish to carry him to the gates of Valhalla!

BEST BRO <3

:(

My Fury Road Blu-Ray copy from Amazon was apparently stolen out of my mailbox. Amazon are amazing though, they're sending a replacement copy for free. I guess this is a lesson in acquiring a PO Box.

Bought the movie today. Opted for the regular edition because steelbooks tend to annoy me in general but with the fervor over it here I'm slightly regretting my decision lol. I wanted to keep my 3 bucks.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Film was fantastically shot and was consistently surprising to watch from a visual standpoint. That said the plot didn't do too much for me. Especially on the back end. It did its job serving as a vehicle (aha) for all the crazy stunts but I dunno.
Was I supposed to care that Furiosa's green space turned into a wasteland? Then they just turn around and that's it.
I prefer Road Warrior.

Sean C

I just watched the movie again, and then watched all the extras. The BTS video of the stunt work is goddamn amazing.

JDHarbs

I finally showed this movie to my Dad who was a big fan of the originals.

The credits roll and he says, "It didn't make any sense."

It's a reasonable complaint given how the film tells it's story, but I figured he would at least enjoy the action in it. Nope. If he finds one thing he doesn't like then the whole movie is ruined for him. I think I'm done trying to show movies to my Dad since he just doesn't give anything a chance anymore. He's really biased towards the films from his younger years so he only has about 4 films he enjoys that were made after 1990 which amount to Transformers and Marvel movies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

It's a reasonable complaint given how the film tells it's story, but I figured he would at least enjoy the action in it. Nope. If he finds one thing he doesn't like then the whole movie is ruined for him. I think I'm done trying to show movies to my Dad since he just doesn't give anything a chance anymore. He's really biased towards the films from his younger years so he only has about 4 films he enjoys that were made after 1990 which amount to Transformers and Marvel movies.

"Aging"

Some people are just like that. I know people who turn 20 and already start filtering out everything new, unable to love anything except what they did as a kid. Being a curmudgeon is a choice.... don't be one

The behind the scenes footage made me appreciate how insanely bonkers the stunt work is. I mean, I got that it looked fairly authentic but my first thought was, "cg nowadays." The crew actually did just about everything. The polecats were for real. What? That whole sequence capitalised by the truck explosion (which wasnt cg). Fuck! The tornado in the sandstorm was probably real too.

As far as the story goes, on second thought I think it came down to that I didn't like how nicely it ended. Even if it ended with them outside is the Citadel. The sequence was just too neat I felt. And Max never got his car back. Without the car Max is like Knight Rider with just David Hasselhof.

GamerJM

Banned
He's really biased towards the films from his younger years so he only has about 4 films he enjoys that were made after 1990 which amount to Transformers and Marvel movies.

My dad is basically the same haha, though replace Transformers with LotR and the Harry Potter movies.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Some people are just like that. I know people who turn 20 and already start filtering out everything new, unable to love anything except what they did as a kid. Being a curmudgeon is a choice.... don't be one

Liking anime is a choice. A sick, sick choice.

My dad is basically the same haha, though replace Transformers with LotR and the Harry Potter movies.

Your dad has better taste than that other dudes dad.
Ha my dad is basically the same too except replace LOTR and HP with only films that feature Bill Murray.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished watching it. Really enjoyed it, mam loved it too.

Think it's a little overhyped on here though.

Finally convinced the wife to watch it. She liked it. We shall see if it becomes love.

This was my fifth viewing, and it only gets better with each viewing.

bidguy

Banned
i thought something was missing. this movie is obviously well made, big budget and all with a great cast of amazing actors but we only had like two big chase scenes (amazing chase scenes) and thats it ? i expected something more from a 89% movie. i never saw the old mad max movies but he didnt even seem like the main character of this movie.

Just saw it and I certainly agree with the 89% on metacritic. A very well crafted film with some minor niggles preventing it from being an absolute classic.

Is it the best action film in recent memory? Of course. Is it the best action film of all time? Not by a long shot. Surpassing the 80s and 90s will forever be a challenge.

I took my dad to this movie for Father's Day and got a similar reaction. He loves the Road Warrior, but once this movie was over all he could really say was that it was just okay, and that the plot was paper thin, which is doing a huge disservice to everything the movie accomplishes without being overwrought with a complex plot or heavy handed expository dialogue. He also gets hung up on certain things like how all these cars would be functioning in the wasteland without a steady supply stream of replacement parts like sparkplugs or whatever. Also pretty sure he said that the Doof Warrior was too ridiculous.

Dad, your opinions are MEDIOCRE.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think some of us are extra enthusiastic about this action movie because we want it to receive more recognition in the hopes of getting a sequel.

Makes sense. At least Mad Max: The Wasteland was announced. More Mad Max is always good.

joedan

I took my dad to this movie for Father's Day and got a similar reaction. He loves the Road Warrior, but once this movie was over all he could really say was that it was just okay, and that the plot was paper thin, which is doing a huge disservice to everything the movie accomplishes without being overwrought with a complex plot or heavy handed expository dialogue. He also gets hung up on certain things like how all these cars would be functioning in the wasteland without a steady supply stream of replacement parts like sparkplugs or whatever. Also pretty sure he said that the Doof Warrior was too ridiculous.

Dad, your opinions are MEDIOCRE.

Not that it affected the movie for me but it was always funny to me that gasoline was such a big deal in the movies when i kept thinking that getting spare tyres and parts might be a bigger deal.

I gave my Mad Max trilogy to a friend thinking I'd be okay till the Anthology gets released here in Ol' Blighty. NOPE. I need this franchise in my life constantly, apparently.

Purkake4

Banned
Not that it affected the movie for me but it was always funny to me that gasoline was such a big deal in the movies when i kept thinking that getting spare tyres and parts might be a bigger deal.
I always figured that it was about the shelf life. If you reduce the population like 90% you should have a pretty huge surplus of tires and spark plugs since they last for a while. Gasoline goes bad in a few years IIRC.

I just watched this last night with my wife after buying the game on PC as well.

It's pretty damn solid I must say.

It reminds me of an older action movie in the style of the original Conan movies with Arnold. Not much said, but the action does the talking. I liked it. Glad they're making a second one. Helps the game is also solid as hell.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rewatching, still in awe of how well Fury Road was constructed.

What is Max doing when they're stopped and Furiosa interrupts him to talk about heading out into the Plains of Silence? He's picking at a cloth or something.

JDHarbs

What is Max doing when they're stopped and Furiosa interrupts him to talk about heading out into the Plains of Silence? He's picking at a cloth or something.
If I'm remembering the correct scene, he is creating a map using the stars in the sky.

Christine

He's drawing a map back to the citadel, the one he uses to present his plan the next day. He was already thinking about the idea when Furiosa asks to talk to him.

GhaleonEB

He's drawing a map back to the citadel, the one he uses to present his plan the next day. He was already thinking about the idea when Furiosa asks to talk to him.

And it looked like he was using his own blood as the ink, which makes sense given the setting, but serves as a nice little metaphor as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ohhhh, right. My first instinct was that he was tattooing his hand, but that didn't gel. Thanks.

jerry113

Banned

Totally missed that. I wish that they would have had Tom Hardy do an audio narration - 'ala Blade Runner - over this scene so I could've understood Max's intentions as I was texting on my phone.

Yeah and that's a completely legitimate point to make, but something like that would never affect the movie for me either. He just gets hung up on things like that all the time though, like he's unable to suspend his disbelief.

Top Bottom