• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

People do realize that RT or Metascore in the title is here to drum up interest for the movie which some are afraid will bomb despite it being awesome? It has fuck all to do with reviews.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Hyped justified! I knew I was right when I said this was my most anticipated movie of the year. Get here Friday (and I never watch movies on opening weekend)!

Wow ....

this may be the surprise of the year for me. Didn't really have this on my list at all, looked almost like it was destined to be a desert Waterworld or something lol. Or a poor attempt at a Borderlands movie.

But hearing from multiple reviewers it potentially being the GREATEST ACTION FILM OF ALL TIME?

UHHHHHHHHHHH.

wow

joke post?

jtb

Banned
I didn't even realize this was rated R. What was the last 150m+ film to be rated R? Studios seem to be pretty terrified of releasing R rated blockbusters post-Matrix... probably not unreasonably.

R doesn't really mean much these days, especially given you can get away with one "fuck" in a PG-13. But it's good to see.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
People do realize that RT or Metascore in the title is here to drum up interest for the movie which some are afraid will bomb despite it being awesome? It has fuck all to do with reviews.
Exactly. We all know Rotten Tomatoes is dumb, we just want people to see this movie.

the average rating is the number to look at. Like, Paddington has 96% "Fresh" rating, which means generally that 96% of critics said, "this wasn't a waste of my time". The average 7.9/10, so a mixture of 3/4 stars, 7-8/10, 4 out of 5 stars, and whatever weighting they use for positive reviews without scores, mixed in the few people who hated it(You REALLY have to dislike a movie to get your review labeled "rotten". I've seen many a 6/10 middling responses recorded as "Fresh"). Then you got the big masterpieces like 12 Years a Slave or A Separation with 9/10 avg ratings which was require not only positive reviews from almost everybody, but for hundreds of critics to believe it was one of(if not THE) finest film of the year.

Now obviously Fury Road should go down with hundreds of reviews come in, cuz 9.2 is pretty wild. Although it does speak highly of how future reception may turn out considering the praise so far.

Daft_Cat

I saw the film last week, and have nothing really to add. Suffice it to say, I'd definitely throw my weight (if I had any) behind all the glowing reviews. As far as action movies go, there's something really special about it... It easily warrants comparisons to other "artsy" action classics like Battle Royale, Kill Bill, and the Raid.

I'd also say that at times, it feels like an R-rated post-apocalyptic road-movie version of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I know that's completely out of left field, but I'm pretty sure if Indy existed in Fury Road's world, he'd be just like Max. I'd actually say I got more of a Harrison Ford vibe from Hardy's performance than Mel Gibson. Aside from that, both films feature incredibly tight pacing, strong female characters, a desert setting, an abundance of practical effects, and a ton of character in the action.

Don't miss this movie!

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow ....

this may be the surprise of the year for me. Didn't really have this on my list at all, looked almost like it was destined to be a desert Waterworld or something lol. Or a poor attempt at a Borderlands movie.

But hearing from multiple reviewers it potentially being the GREATEST ACTION FILM OF ALL TIME?

UHHHHHHHHHHH.

wow

gqkcpz.gif

Learn some history.

This, really. I get all the concerns, but I'm mostly interested in getting something that says, "This movie is good, and here is a metric for those who need this kind of thing before committing"

jtb

Banned
the average rating is the number to look at. Like, Paddington has 96% "Fresh" rating, which means generally that 96% of critics said, "this wasn't a waste of my time". The average 7.9/10, so a mixture of 3/4 stars, 7-8/10, 4 out of 5 stars, and whatever weighting they use for positive reviews without scores, mixed in the few people who hated it(You REALLY have to dislike a movie to get your review labeled "rotten". I've seen many a 6/10 middling responses recorded as "Fresh"). Then you got the big masterpieces like 12 Years a Slave or A Separation with 9/10 avg ratings which was require not only positive reviews from almost everybody, but for hundreds of critics to believe it was one of(if not THE) finest film of the year.

Now obviously Fury Road should go down with hundreds of reviews come in, cuz 9.2 is pretty wild. Although it does speak highly of how future reception may turn out considering the praise so far.

"This wasn't a waste of time" is all a review aggregator's good for anyways.

Atrophis

A local cinema is showing a Mad Max and Road Warrior double bill on Wednesday. I didn't buy tickets and its now sold out. I feel like I've made a terrible mistake :(

My take on Rottentomatoes: Rotten movies are always assuredly rotten, whereas a 90%+ certified RT fresh is usually a good movie. I say usually because that allows individual movie tastes into account.

Timeaisis

EDIT: ^ Holy fuck at those posters.

I think my favorite part of the movie, apart from the insane action set-pieces, is the subtle but awesome world building. It's never thrown in your face, but you can tell Miller and co. spent lots of time fleshing out the world the characters live in. It's awesome because it's there if you dig deep but doesn't ever get bogged down by it. It makes everything feel so alive and gives the action awesome stakes.

Miller said during the Q&A that they literally had a backstory for every car and firearm used in the film. It's that deep.

Gonna mention a weird and interesting moment, so don't click if you haven't seen it, but I loved
the night section where they were driving through the "wastes" with all the mud and such, and the very short glimpse of the dudes on stilts. God, what an awesome shot that was.

You could make like ten films with the amount of ideas that are packed into this movie and only briefly mentioned or shown. In a good way. Miller has been chewing on this for a while, and it really shows.

Damn, I really can't wait till next week so I can see it again.

People do realize that RT or Metascore in the title is here to drum up interest for the movie

The amount of interest being drummed up by a thread title in off-topic isn't worth the shift in focus from discussion to scoreboard-watching.

We're not a marketing arm. We're just part of a community who wants to talk about a specific movie in this thread. Worrying about whether we're "Drumming up interest" in here seems like mostly wasted effort.

SpaceHorror

Ugh, my local theater is showing Fury Road Thursday at 7:00 pm but the 3D version only.

I really prefer to see it in 2D, but the prospect of seeing it Thursday night is almost too hard to pass up.

The amount of interest being drummed up by a thread title in off-topic isn't worth the shift in focus from discussion to scoreboard-watching.

We're not a marketing arm. We're just part of a community who wants to talk about a specific movie in this thread. Worrying about whether we're "Drumming up interest" in here seems like mostly wasted effort.

And a part of the community, including me, wants to talk about how awesome this movie is. Preferrably to people who don't know yet.

But I do admit, a review thread would be a better idea than putting this discussion in here.

What?! You do realize Borderlands was inspired by Mad Max, right?

I never knew about Mad Max, so no, didn't know that.

I dunno, i guess people on this forum expect everyone to know about every single movie ever made? The responses are humorous to say the least.

I love surprises. And it looks like this one is going to be my big one for the year. So will happily enter the theater and learn about this world of Mad Max that looks to have inspired many other things over the years.

And a part of the community, including me, wants to talk about how awesome this movie is

And you can do that (easily and effectively) without rottenwatching, is what I'm saying.

Rottenwatching doesn't provoke discussion, really. People are TALKING, but it's not really a discussion. It's just movie nerds hitting each other with fluctuating "stats" based on reviews almost nobody's actually reading.

Agreed. And the chase over review scores going up or down like a market exchange is off-putting. We're not shareholders holding off on bonuses until a certain number hits.

EDIT: ^ Holy fuck at those posters.

I think my favorite part of the movie, apart from the insane action set-pieces, is the subtle but awesome world building. It's never thrown in your face, but you can tell Miller and co. spent lots of time fleshing out the world the characters live in. It's awesome because it's there if you dig deep but doesn't ever get bogged down by it. It makes everything feel so alive and gives the action awesome stakes.

Miller said during the Q&A that they literally had a backstory for every car and firearm used in the film. It's that deep.

Gonna mention a weird and interesting moment, so don't click if you haven't seen it, but I loved
the night section where they were driving through the "wastes" with all the mud and such, and the very short glimpse of the dudes on stilts. God, what an awesome shot that was.

You could make like ten films with the amount of ideas that are packed into this movie and only briefly mentioned or shown. In a good way. Miller has been chewing on this for a while, and it really shows.

Damn, I really can't wait till next week so I can see it again.

Yes, that spoiler was such a great moment! Maybe that's my one true disappointment:
I wish we could have spent more time in the world. Clearly, that wasn't the goal here, but it speaks to how well it was realized.

I said it before, but the world-building is incredible, particularly the War Boys. I loved that they were portrayed not just as bad guys, but a fully-functioning team of dudes working for a psycho leader. I loved the respect they had for Furiosa, their "boss". I loved how fanatical they got when one of their own was about to perform a valiant act of sacrifice.

WITNESS ME! WITNESS ME!

Also, it was a tiny moment, but when Nux was in the car with
Immortan Joe and Joe very half-heartedly
gives him his silver "blessing"--it might have been my favorite little moment of comedy in the whole movie.

RangerX

Banned
I never knew about Mad Max, so no, didn't know that.

I dunno, i guess people on this forum expect everyone to know about every single movie ever made? The responses are humorous to say the least.

I love surprises. And it looks like this one is going to be my big one for the year. So will happily enter the theater and learn about this world of Mad Max that looks to have inspired many other things over the years.

The Mad Max films are pretty famous. They're not obscure.

Never heard anyone mention mad max in my entire life lol. and im around people into comic books / books and movies pretty heavily

so * shrug *, dunno what to tell ya. Just never heard of mad max or seen / read anything from it.

but the greatest action film of all time sounds like the perfect place for an introduction!

Well, let's cut him some slack. Road Warrior was my first introduction to the term "cult film"--I remember my mom explaining to me what that meant waaaaay back when.

I would say that anyone really into film/movies would know them, but others might not. They're certainly not famous/household in the same way that something like Indiana Jones is.

Never heard anyone mention mad max in my entire life lol. and im around people into comic books / books and movies pretty heavily

so * shrug *, dunno what to tell ya. Just never heard of mad max or seen / read anything from it.

but the greatest action film of all time sounds like the perfect place for an introduction!
The movie had a big influence on movies and games. James Cameron, Del Toro, David Fincher all cite the series as favorite movies and major inspirations. The movies inspired the Fallout series, and not just simply 3.

You should definitely check them out

RangerX

Banned
Well, let's cut him some slack. Road Warrior was my first introduction to the term "cult film"--I remember my mom explaining to me what that meant waaaaay back when.

I would say that anyone really into film/movies would know them, but others might not. They're certainly not famous/household in the same way that something like Indiana Jones is.

Yeah cool not trying to insult the guy, they were on tv here in Ireland a lot when I was growing up. Just finished watching Road Warrior earlier. Still an excellent film.

Weird. The movie has had a huge influence on movies and games. James Cameron, Del Toro, David Fincher all cite the series as favorite movies and major inspirations. The movies inspired the Fallout series, and just simply 3. They've very well known movies

I'll have to jump in and see if I can find the old movies then. I'm not a huge fan of this type of fantasy, the whole ... desert wasteland / post apocalyptic thing but they sound like well done movies.

and im a sucker for good movies

Game4life

Banned
So excited for this. Did not read any review so far that has mentioned whether 3D is decent? I dont want to watch in 3D but it looks like I may not have a choice. Anyone knows how the 3D is?

Cheebo

Banned

You never even heard of The Road Warrior? Or recognize this iconic shot?
roadwarrior1.jpg

I'll have to jump in and see if I can find the old movies then. I'm not a huge fan of this type of fantasy, the whole ... desert wasteland / post apocalyptic thing but they sound like well done movies.

and im a sucker for good movies
Hope you like them. The second is the best one. As for the post apocalyptic wasteland, Mad Max 2 pretty much set the style and tone that everything else since has copied.

Was there an earlier influence? I am curious.

You never even heard of The Road Warrior? Or recognize this iconic shot?
roadwarrior1.jpg

I've seen that picture before but no never heard of road warrior. Never seen anything from Mad Max at all.

now that i think hard enough a buddy of mine may of had the movies on his shelf but just grazed over them. ill have to call him up and see if i can grab em.

I've seen that picture before but no never heard of road warrior. Never seen anything from Mad Max at all.

now that i think hard enough a buddy of mine may of had the movies on his shelf but just grazed over them. ill have to call him up and see if i can grab em.

Basically, everything with a post apocalyptic setting has Mad Max as their inspiration.

This is fucking alley, dude.

I am fine with something Tomatoes-related, or a review thread, because there is a difference between "genuinely wanting to spread the word about a really awesome thing" and marketing. People pay attention to numbers, and RT is an eye-catching thing. It's a way to invite more people to the discussion, as others have said.

Guys I never watched the first three.. Maybe I did as a kid but I cant remember. I want to watch them before I go to the cinema. They arent dated I hope?

Top Bottom