• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Pinewood

The only scene bothering me in the movie is when Max washes his face in that bucket of breastmilk. How long has it been there, doesnt it stink? Even if it doesnt, he is going to reek after when it goes sour.

The only scene bothering me in the movie is when Max washes his face in that bucket of breastmilk. How long has it been there, doesnt it stink? Even if it doesnt, he is going to reek after when it goes sour.

Dude opens the film with bits of lizard gore in his beard. He probably doesn't care about breast milk on his face.

GhaleonEB

It hadn't been that long, and it was in a sealed container.

The only scene that bothers me is the
cesarean birth. I get the point they were making with it, but having this sore covered, drooling guy cutting open a well liked character and chuck the baby corpse aside was a bit too much ugliness for me. It felt needlessly cruel.

Jigorath

Banned
Nobody deserves that directing trophy more than Miller, but they'll probably give Ridley Scott his career Oscar this year for Martian. Dude's gonna be stuck making godawful Prometheus sequels for the next decade so it's not like they'll have another chance to award him.

Nobody deserves that directing trophy more than Miller, but they'll probably give Ridley Scott his career Oscar this year for Martian. Dude's gonna be stuck making godawful Prometheus sequels for the next decade so it's not like they'll have another chance to award him.

This better not turn into a Departed situation.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I watched it again last night.
I didn't like it the first time I watched in the theaters. Maybe it's because I don't like 3D and the movie blows up alot of shit in your face, made me impatience and dizzy. I just wanted it to be over actually, so I did hated it the first time.
But now, at home, with no 3D? My god this movie is so awesome and flawless. And this time I knew I shouldn't give a shit about the story and just enjoy the mad action sequences.

It hadn't been that long, and it was in a sealed container.

The only scene that bothers me is the
cesarean birth. I get the point they were making with it, but having this sore covered, drooling guy cutting open a well liked character and chuck the baby corpse aside was a bit too much ugliness for me. It felt needlessly cruel.
Kind of fits the setting doesnt it? I mean you are dealing with a leader that presents himself as a god so he can lord it over slaves while teaching them to not be addicted to water.

It might seem cruel but its a cruel world they live in. I think any complaints about the cruelty are probably from the shock of seeing it happen as that was quite a surprise which really helped sell the scene for me.

This movie's blu-ray has a GENERIC DVD MENU! This is the only movie I own that has this shit.

What the fuck WB. Mediocre!

Holy shit I just googled it and you're not kidding.

How does this happen to a massive blockbuster movie in 2015...

It's the stock menu design for WB BD's in the last few years, par for the course.
maxresdefaultq6u86.jpg

image8hum8.jpg

captura-del-menu-del-m5uza.jpg

hqdefaultgcu7e.jpg

image12utq.jpg

scooby_doo_stage_frigwdus1.jpg

Edit: Nevermind, you guys already explained it... a month ago.

Kind of fits the setting doesnt it? I mean you are dealing with a leader that presents himself as a god so he can lord it over slaves while teaching them to not be addicted to water.

It might seem cruel but its a cruel world they live in. I think any complaints about the cruelty are probably from the shock of seeing it happen as that was quite a surprise which really helped sell the scene for me.

I've had other friends complain about the scene, not necessarily for its content, but the angle it's shot from. A reverse or far angle from Joe's pov would have conveyed the same action without the feeling of a greasy creep picking through entrails in your face.

The scene didn't bother me mind, but I can see how the closeup angle would be really upsetting to people.

I've had other friends complain about the scene, not necessarily for its content, but the angle it's shot from. A reverse or far angle from Joe's pov would have conveyed the same action without the feeling of a greasy creep picking through entrails in your face.

The scene didn't bother me mind, but I can see how the closeup angle would be really upsetting to people.

But they show next to nothing in the scene. Most of it is left to your imagination. We never actually see him cut her open. And we only see the feet of the baby and then the umbilical cord. It is a shocking scene, and for good reason, but most of the horror of it is left to your mind to fill in the blanks.

Fuck Mel Gibson.

I'm glad the best Mad Max is the one that doesn't have his repugnant ass in it.

It's good that Gibson is hurting for work because of his detestable personality, but if he wasn't such a bag of shit, Fury Road would have been a fine, um, vehicle for him. Hardy didn't bring anything to the role that Gibson couldn't have done and it would have been nice to have the continuity.

jett

D-Member
It's the stock menu design for WB BD's in the last few years, par for the course.

I don't think I'll be buying any more WB blu-rays at this rate. BD is supposed to be a premium format, I expect better than that garbage. It makes my disc look like some bootleg shit.

I don't think I'll be buying any more WB blu-rays at this rate. BD is supposed to be a premium format, I expect better than that garbage. It makes my disc look like some bootleg shit.

You watch the menus or the movie? Because the movie looks fuckin' brilliant.

I could give a shit what the menu looks like.

That's a dumb reason not to buy great movies, Jett.

jett

D-Member
You watch the menus or the movie? Because the movie looks fuckin' brilliant.

I could give a shit what the menu looks like.

That's a dumb reason not to buy great movies, Jett.

Well, here's the deal. When I buy a blu-ray I'm not just buying a movie, I'm buying a package. I can watch a movie a million different ways. I don't buy everything that gets released. I only buy movies I really like, and I refuse to buy stuff that either has a shoddy transfer or has shitty/non-existent bonus materials. Master and Commander is literally the only exception in my collection. Stuff like this just rubs me the wrong way. It's petty, but it is what it is.

Well, here's the deal. When I buy a blu-ray I'm not just buying a movie, I'm buying a package. I can watch a movie a million different ways. I don't buy everything that gets released. I only buy movies I really like, and I refuse to buy stuff that either has a shoddy transfer or has shitty/non-existent bonus materials. Master and Commander is literally the only exception in my collection. Stuff like this just rubs me the wrong way. It's petty, but it is what it is.

You obviously didn't get the deluxe version that came out on DVD. That was a fantastic collector's edition.

When I buy a blu-ray, it's because I want to watch the movie in the highest possible quality available to me as a retail consumer.

Here's the Bobby Roberts heirarchy of needs in Blu-Ray purchasing

1) I will rewatch this movie multiple times
2) It is a really good transfer of the film

That's it.

I don't put the case in the player. I don't sit down in front of the screen and watch the menu loop for two hours, either. I skip past all the bullshit as fast as I can, I hit play, and I turn the volume up so that I may enjoy a high-bitrate, immersive, clean, eye-popping presentation of a fine piece of cinematic storytelling. And if the disc doesn't feature any "bonus" materials on it, all the better, as that's just more information for the film itself to be using. Besides which the percentage of "bonus features" worth the time is lower than Trump's approval ratings with anyone approaching basic sanity.

When Creed comes out in a few months and I buy that, I'm not going to give a fuck that the menu is just a bar with five buttons on it. I'm certainly not going to withhold a purchase of that film for that reason, because that's just silly.

It's silly, Jett.

You're silly.

Well I'm talking about BDs so no. :p But I did rent it back in the day.

I never upgraded to the blu ray on Master and Commander because of the supposed messing up of the sound mix. The DTS track on the DVD is still mind boggling.

But the collector's edition on DVD is still classy as fuck.

FReobikl.jpg

When I buy a blu-ray, it's because I want to watch the movie in the highest possible quality available to me as a retail consumer.

That is my main criteria as well. Do I love the big, elaborate special releases of things? Hell yes. But in the end, the quality of the film presentation itself is the most important. The best picture and the best sound possible, please.

I should watch Master & Commander.

Have you not before? Oh, man. You are in for a treat.

If you have, then it is still a treat.

Although the ending pisses me off every single time.
That final shot of the ship in pursuit, I was waiting for one final big sequence to start. Instead I left the film with figurative blue balls. Yet was still happy about having the blue balls even if I wanted more, more, more!

-griffy-

Banned
I caught the end of Road Warrior and beginning of Beyond Thunderdome on AMC the other day. It's interesting seeing those two aesthetics back to back, in the wake of Fury Road. Fury Road is so clearly more aesthetically and stylistically similar to Thunderdome than to any other Mad Max movie. Just how big and weird everything is. Max getting on an elevator and being lifted up, then the camera moving past and honing in on GIGANTIC OILED UP MUSCLED DUDE AND LADY manually cranking the elevator up. The whole opening is very evocative of the introduction to The Citadel with all the weird detail.

The creativity from Fury Road was more or less there in 1985, it's other stuff that holds Thunderdome back.

EDIT: Also Master and Commander is amazing. I have the Blu-ray (video quality is garbage, but it's overall probably better than the DVD just because of resolution? audio is aces though), but also have the collector's DVD still as well. Those special features are sublime.

ToD_

When I buy a blu-ray disc, I immediately rip it to my HD. That is the full disc, without further compression. I don't even see the menus. The case/box will go into a closet, with the intention to leave it there unless I need to rip it again or feel the need to bring it somewhere (never happened).

Quality is much more important to me. Primarily because I'm projecting it on a large screen in a darkened room. It's impossible not to spot flaws like edge enhancement and DNR. Fury Road looks just like I remember it in theaters thankfully.

jett

D-Member
I never upgraded to the blu ray on Master and Commander because of the supposed messing up of the sound mix. The DTS track on the DVD is still mind boggling.

But the collector's edition on DVD is still classy as fuck.

FReobikl.jpg

That is my main criteria as well. Do I love the big, elaborate special releases of things? Hell yes. But in the end, the quality of the film presentation itself is the most important. The best picture and the best sound possible, please.

The blu-ray is really not all that worth it, unless you get it on the cheap (I got for five bucks). It looks really blurry too. Fox did release a digibook edition of it which looked pretty nice (I like those things), but everything else remained the same unfortunately. No fucks were given for the ten year anniversary...

I don't disagree with what you're saying. But whatevs. I like my shit shiny and chrome. A cheap packaging deserves a cheap price. And I didn't get Mad Mad all that cheap.

I think the BD as a premium format ship has sailed when prices started to drop as low as $5 a year after release. I do like some effort put into the presentation of a physical release myself, but it's hard to expect premium quality on packaging and menu design at those prices. Just don't buy mass market BD's by big studios at full price and wait 2-3 months after release to get them at $10 or so. I loved MM:FR, but knowing how fast especially WB BD's plummet in price, i could easily wait a little bit longer. On the other hand i'm more than willing to pay premium prices for releases that i know won't be in the bargain bin within a few months. If you want premium quality, look at the stuff produced in Korea and Japan, though that stuff also easily costs 2-3x as much and hardly ever drops in price significantly.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If there's anything we should take away from this thread, it's that everyone should watch Master and Commander.

Is that the one with the classy as fuck 'let's play some instruments' scene with Bettany/Crowe? The scene that every other blockbuster would cut, and they were all 'BAH GAWD FUCKING PLAY THAT SHIT SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY.'

GOAT scene.

jett

D-Member
Is that the one with the classy as fuck 'let's play some instruments' scene with Bettany/Crowe? The scene that every other blockbuster would cut, and they were all 'BAH GAWD FUCKING PLAY THAT SHIT SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY.'

GOAT scene.

Master and Commander is the kind of movie that will never be made again. $150 million period drama focused on character development and camaraderie and with no romantic subplot of any kind. Yea, that's not happening ever again.

Criticwire and The Village Voice both do year-end polls where hundreds of noted critics submit their top 10 films of the year, as well as top 3/5 for Best Actor, Actress, Screenplay, etc. Fury Road dominated both for Best Film, with Todd Haynes' Carol as the closet runner-up.

If you're interested in seeing some of the most shiny and chrome critically acclaimed films of 2015, these are some good lists to browse. A lot of them are small, obscure, or foreign films that you may not have heard about it otherwise.

inm8num2

Critics Top 10 is a good one to follow as well. They tally all the appearances each movie has on critics' top 10 lists, accounting for first-place votes as well. This gives an overall picture of what critics are liking most for the year. Fury Road is #1 right now, but it's still early.

Also, Blackhat has 8 list appearances. Didn't see it but thought it was received poorly...

I liked blackhat. It's an easy top 10 entry for me this year though I have yet to see a few of the buzzed about movies that came out recently

jett

D-Member
And to think that the character played by Russell came to Chile and helped us to win the war agains Peru :3

Jack Aubrey is fictional, and the person he's somewhat based on, Thomas Cochrane, died several decades before Chile invaded Peru.

Oh you mean Peru as in Spain. :p He contributed to both the Chilean and Peruvian independence from Spain.

Only just now seeing this: Chicago Film Critics gave it Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, Editing, and Production Design.

Also made the AFI Top 10 of the year, (Straight Outta Compton & Force Awakens also made that list)

HOWEVER:

Business Insider talked to an anonymous Oscar voter, who told them

“When I saw it, I thought that it was really stupid,” one Oscar voter told BI. “I’m not going to vote for it.”

And it sounds like he’s not alone. “I had dinner with another voter the other night and that person felt the same way I do. That person isn’t voting for it,” the voter said. “It’s fun and interesting to look at, but it’s definitely not in my top five.” Which is the number of films each voter selects for the Best Picture category's nominating process."

this is a Mad Max thread...

but yeah, Master & Commander kicks a lot of arse. Damn fine film. In the Heart of the Sea compares favorably, believe or not, see it in 3D while you can, its a dang fine experience and some of the best used 3D I've ever seen.

Master and Commander is the kind of movie that will never be made again. $150 million period drama focused on character development and camaraderie and with no romantic subplot of any kind. Yea, that's not happening ever again.
I think this is why I get so sad when I watch the trailer for that Thor Moby Dick movie. Like, yeah, ok I'm sure it's good, but the formula is spelled out all over the screen.

Top Bottom