• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

So Mad Max fans...i propose a question, i been asking in various Creed threads...if you think Mad Max will win the gaf movie of the year over Creed

what do you guys think?

Looking at the size of the threads I'd say mad max easily. Both have been very well relieved but it seems as though more gaffers have seen mad max.

From AwardsDaily

Mad Max Surges to Become Critics Choice

Mad Max is surprising everyone by taking the lead, at least so far, in the critics race.

Both the National Board of Review and the Washington DC critics – two of the most “populist” of the critics groups, went for Mad Max. It won the NBR and was one of two movies that was nominated for both Picture and Director at WAFCA. Meanwhile, Spotlight and The Martian were split in both groups. The Martian won Director, Screenplay and Actor at NBR and was nominated in all of those categories by WAFCA. Spotlight has Picture in both groups but not director. Meanwhile, George Miller and Mad Max, along with Alejandro G. Inarritu and The Revenant are the only two that got both.

Either way, if Mad Max continues to win — as it’s expected to do tomorrow, unless the LA or the Boston critics go a different way, it could turn into a situation where it’s too big to ignore, which would tip the scales for Miller and not Scott — two brilliant veterans who’ve been directing films for years and years.

The Boston Film Critics Online Name Mad Max: Fury Road the Best Film of 2015

BEST PICTURE:
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

BEST DIRECTOR:
George Miller, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

I can just imagine at the end of the Oscars:

"And the Academy Award for Best Picture...

*opens envelope*

... will ride eternal to Valhalla shiny and chrome!"
All I expect is for the winners to begin their speeches by looking at the Oscar and saying, "So shiny. So chrome."

Nibel

I can just imagine at the end of the Oscars:

"And the Academy Award for Best Picture...

*opens envelope*

... will ride eternal to Valhalla shiny and chrome!"

It should be at least nominate--

you know what, fuck it, I saw a bunch of movies and this is the most impressive one this year so far

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I watched this probably 5x and even bought it. I have not purchased a film (except Dredd) in at least a decade.

You guys making your joke references make it so much harder for me to just like the film! I'm torn between my iconoclastic nature and my ability to enjoy awesome things! How can I fully give myself to this movie when the joy I derive from sneering at people for liking stuff will directly conflict?

Look, could you like, maybe not be excited and exuberant about the movie? Like, not quote it and stuff around me? I'd really appreciate it. In fact, I'll probably end up liking the movie more without all the tension and stress of knowing I'm gonna have to front like a motherfucker on people having fun later.

You guys making your joke references make it so much harder for me to just like the film! I'm torn between my iconoclastic nature and my ability to enjoy awesome things! How can I fully give myself to this movie when the joy I derive from sneering at people for liking stuff will directly conflict?

Look, could you like, maybe not be excited and exuberant about the movie? Like, not quote it and stuff around me? I'd really appreciate it. In fact, I'll probably end up liking the movie more without all the tension and stress of knowing I'm gonna have to front like a motherfucker on people having fun later.

Tell us your feelings about Portal, Bobby.

I am assuming this is a joke bleed over from some comments in the thread about the NBR giving this best picture, right?

Do you guys know how hard it was to enjoy that puzzle while knowing that somewhere out there, some person I probably wouldn't like was making a joke about cake I hadn't even gotten to yet? Do you know how that weighed on me? My shoulders began to slope at a 45 degree angle due to that pressure. I was a conflicted man, at war with myself. "I love this game, it's amazing, like nothing else before and I can't stop playing it but there are so many people HAVING FUN and BEING OBNOXIOUS in the name of this game and maybe the only thing I like more than enjoying great games is being seen in public forums sneering at stupid people! But in order to do that, I have to front on this game! But I like this game!"

Tore me up inside, I tell you what.

Luckily, I slake that thirst for personal judgment by going into threads about famous people's physical appearance and just unloading. It's so relaxing. There's a lot more stuff I allow myself to like without any conditions or concerns about how other people might like the thing I also like which might also reflect on me as a person who likes things.

geomon

Do you guys know how hard it was to enjoy that puzzle while knowing that somewhere out there, some person I probably wouldn't like was making a joke about cake I hadn't even gotten to yet? Do you know how that weighed on me? My shoulders began to slope at a 45 degree angle due to that pressure. I was a conflicted man, at war with myself. "I love this game, it's amazing, like nothing else before and I can't stop playing it but there are so many people HAVING FUN and BEING OBNOXIOUS in the name of this game and maybe the only thing I like more than enjoying great games is being seen in public forums sneering at stupid people! But in order to do that, I have to front on this game! But I like this game!"

Luckily, I slake that thirst for personal judgment by going into threads about famous people's physical appearance and just unloading. It's so relaxing. There's a lot more stuff I allow myself to like without any conditions or concerns about how other people might like the thing I also like which might also reflect on me as a person who likes things.

Are you ok?

This movie's blu-ray has a GENERIC DVD MENU! This is the only movie I own that has this shit.

What the fuck WB. Mediocre!

Clearly you don't own Crash.

Can I get a YouTube channel with you reacting this way about various things?

What I really want to know is how you feel about spoilers.
I think you need an alt account for stuff like this. Maybe called Robert Bobby or something. RB to your BR, like Alton Brown's alter ego, BA. It would be fun.

Can I get a YouTube channel with you reacting this way about various things?

Sweater Vested & corduroy sport-coated. Possibly with a giant carafe of tea that I keep pouring into an oversize mug that I never drink from.

I think you need an alt account for stuff like this. Maybe called Robert Bobby or something.

There's actually a poster here named BobbyRobby who is like, my diametric opposite on most entertainment AND sociopolitical stances. It always trips me out for a second when I see someone having quoted him and I'm not super-closely paying attention, like "There is no fucking way I ever said that, and I dont' even remember coming into this thread befor-- oh, it's the other one."

I heard there was a bit of controversy around that Boston Film Critics choice because people believed the Boston critics were duty-bound to honor Spotlight, which is set and was filmed there.

But Max was apparently too good to deny.

Perfect

I heard there was a bit of controversy around that Boston Film Critics choice because people believed the Boston critics were duty-bound to honor Spotlight, which is set and was filmed there.

But Max was apparently too good to deny.

That was actually the Boston Film Critics Online.

The Boston Film Critics are actually announcing their awards as I type this now (confusing, I know). So far, Mad Max: Fury Road won Best Editing from them. They're expected to award Spotlight, but here's hoping for a surprise. :)

Today the LA Film Critics and New York Critics Online also announce their awards, so we'll see how it does.

The Washington DC Area Film Critics nominated it for a lot, and announce their winners tomorrow.

I know all these small critics groups may seem trivial, but they equal buzz, and buzz keeps it in the Oscar conversation.

Savitar

It's absolutely wonderful to see the film get the credit it's due. I figured it might win an award or two in some category but nothing like it's getting. May it continue and in the end maybe if it does keep getting more perhaps that will help generate the sequel instead of mere "maybes" and help it to get a bigger audience.

gabbo

It's absolutely wonderful to see the film get the credit it's due. I figured it might win an award or two in some category but nothing like it's getting. May it continue and in the end maybe if it does keep getting more perhaps that will help generate the sequel instead of mere "maybes" and help it to get a bigger audience.

They just need to start putting commercials out with 'Winner of x, y,z - available on bluray and dvd, and streaming" and get people to remember it

Toothless

Yo, only gonna pimp this thread once, but if you wanna talk Film Awards, maybe head to my thread? If not, I totally understand; this is the only time I'm gonna bring it up. It's just that I had figured GAF would be interested in talking awards prospects on more than just Max *coughcoughCREEDcough*

I'm personally quite happy with the Max awards recently.

Yo, only gonna pimp this thread once, but if you wanna talk Film Awards, maybe head to my thread? If not, I totally understand; this is the only time I'm gonna bring it up. It's just that I had figured GAF would be interested in talking awards prospects on more than just Max *coughcoughCREEDcough*

I'm personally quite happy with the Max awards recently.

Thank you for the link. The OP is a nice round up of stuff so far.

Why isn't Creed winning any best pictures awards?.... Mad Max is an amazing movie

but i thought the awards were going to come down between Mad Max and Creed

Los Angeles Film Critics

BEST PICTURE, Winner: “Spotlight.”
Runner-up: “Mad Max: Fury Road.”

BEST DIRECTOR, Winner: George Miller, “Mad Max: Fury Road.”

notbad.jpg

i never understood how they differentiate between "best picture" and "best director"

you would think that the director that wins best picture would get best director as well

i never understood how they differentiate between "best picture" and "best director"

you would think that the director that wins best picture would get best director as well

It's like the voters have a guilty conscience and want two films to win best picture, so they split it or something. It is weird as hell.

Sean C

That's quite easy. A great movie doesn't necessarily have a standout directorial vision. You may like The Martian over MMFR, for instance, but acknowledge that George Miller's directorial imprint on the latter is far more significant than Ridley Scott's with respect to the former.

TylerD

I'm kicking myself HARD for not seeing this at a theater. Finally watched it with my girlfriend Saturday night, then again early yesterday afternoon so I could crank it. One of the best action movies I've laid my eyes on in my 32 years of existence. WOW!!!!

That FOOL! Scene is easily the scene of the year. Gotdamn, that music, hedgehogs and Immortan Joe's pursuit. PUMPEd

I will streak naked on the streets if Fury Road wins Oscar's best film of the year

Sephzilla

That FOOL! Scene is easily the scene of the year. Gotdamn, that music, hedgehogs and Immortan Joe's pursuit. PUMPEd

I will streak naked on the streets if Fury Road wins Oscar's best film of the year

Brothers in Arms is both the best and worst music to listen to while driving.

Lunar15

I think my favorite scene is still the Bullet Farmer's pursuit. Real intense, you don't know what's going to happen, AND it's used for some really stellar character building. Add the fact that they used the classical music from the trailer and some hilaroius dialogue/performance from the bullet farmer himself, and you've got a really classic scene.

Savitar

I'm kicking myself HARD for not seeing this at a theater. Finally watched it with my girlfriend Saturday night, then again early yesterday afternoon so I could crank it. One of the best action movies I've laid my eyes on in my 32 years of existence. WOW!!!!

It was Godly.

Or to put it bluntly, shiny and chrome!

Top Bottom