• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I think it's got Oscar nominations for the big ones pretty much locked down, a few oscar voters opinions not withstanding. Now wins - Miller I would say has the best shot of any of the non-technical categories.

I'm starting to think he has more than a fair shot at actually grabbing it.

Way earlier in this thread (when it was still kind of outlandish that this reality we're in would ever actually come to be) I thought Theron's performance was as much a possibility as Miller's nom. But it seems Miller is starting to look semi-likely for an actual win, but Theron's performance is Dark Horse at best.

gabbo

I'm starting to think he has more than a fair shot at actually grabbing it.

Way earlier in this thread (when it was still kind of outlandish that this reality we're in would ever actually come to be) I thought Theron's performance was as much a possibility as Miller's nom. But it seems Miller is starting to look semi-likely for an actual win, but Theron's performance is Dark Horse at best.

I agree, I just think a lot of the comments are filled with an air of caution when all signs basically point to it being nominated and Miller actually having a fair chance at some hardware for a movie not about dancing penguins.
No need for egg shells being walked on in my mind.

gabbo

If Miller wins, would he be the first person to ever win the directing Oscar for an action movie?

I guess that would depend on how strictly one defines 'action movie' - since plenty of war films (Platoon, Saving private Ryan among them), The French Connection, and Lord of the Rings - Return of the King had directing honours. Miller winning for Fury Road would certainly be the closest to an outright 'action movie' in the typical sense winning

gabbo

My brother informed me this afternoon that he had never seen the whole film despite owning the blu-ray. I need to help him remedy this. Basically it's an excuse to watch it again

sometimes i watch other movies, expecting epicness, got let down and had to go back and rewatch fury road

:<

it has ruined me, this movie

VALHALLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Why wouldn't it be. Still the best movie of 2015. Hope it's a contender for Best Picture.

Fury Road is my favorite movie of the year without question. And 2015 turned out to be a decent year for films. Would love to see Miller get one Academy Award for this one. He deserves one.

Fury Road is my favorite movie of the year without question. And 2015 turned out to be a decent year for films. Would love to see Miller get one Academy Award for this one. He deserves one.
Ehh I don't think it was that good of a year. Spectre and Rogue Nation were both duds for me. Leo's Revenant could be decent and although I will watch anything QT makes, Hateful 8 seems to be a little weaker contender.

Without Star Wars and Fury Road it's largely forgettable year.

Ehh I don't think it was that good of a year. Spectre and Rogue Nation were both duds for me. Leo's Revenant could be decent and although I will watch anything QT makes, Hateful 8 seems to be a little weaker contender.

I mean, what year exactly are you comparing it to? I think we had a pretty damn good year.

I mean, what year exactly are you comparing it to? I think we had a pretty damn good year.

Compared to Last year? We had Boyhood, Grand Budapest, Nightcrawler, Gone girl and....interstellar (dont shoot me). I dunno, I enjoyed a wider range of movies last year. Oh also loved Foxcatcher, dotpota and Imitation game.

I said it was a decent year, not a great one. A lot of the bigger Hollywood movies were duds for me, the Marvel movies, Jurassic World, Spectre, Furious 7. The Force Awakens was one of the few bright spots. But I still found some of the smaller budget movies to be entertaining. I did like Creed, Kingsmen , Straight Outta Compton, Spy, and Ex Machina.

UberTag

I'm not going to get greedy. I'm just thrilled that the Best Picture and Direction noms appear to be locks now whereas they were longshots this time last month.
I'm happy with just the nominations to be honest.

Oidisco

Been wanting to watch this for a while now, but before I do I just need to know one thing. Does anybody get their throat slit, stabbed, shot or anything like that in this film?

It's a weird question I know but neck related violence freaks the shit out of me, so I need to know in advance before I sit down and watch this!

Monocle

Been wanting to watch this for a while now, but before I do I just need to know one thing. Does anybody get their throat slit, stabbed, shot or anything like that in this film?

It's a weird question I know but neck related violence freaks the shit out of me, so I need to know in advance before I sit down and watch this!
There's one moment late in the film where someone gets a serious jaw injury, but it's shown very briefly. Fury Road is not a graphic movie overall.

I generally don't like violence in movies but I had no problem with Fury Road. The scene that Monocle mentions is SUPER brief and more implied than anything else. It really feels like a PG-13 movie, so I wouldn't worry.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

Someone does take a crossbow bolt just below their neck and we get quite a good look at it, but it's very bloodless, if that matters.

Edit: And someone takes a chainsaw to the neck, but it isn't graphically shown, more implied as you don't actually see it cutting their neck or anything, just a splash of blood.

When I buy a blu-ray, it's because I want to watch the movie in the highest possible quality available to me as a retail consumer.

Here's the Bobby Roberts heirarchy of needs in Blu-Ray purchasing

1) I will rewatch this movie multiple times
2) It is a really good transfer of the film

That's it.

I don't put the case in the player. I don't sit down in front of the screen and watch the menu loop for two hours, either. I skip past all the bullshit as fast as I can, I hit play, and I turn the volume up so that I may enjoy a high-bitrate, immersive, clean, eye-popping presentation of a fine piece of cinematic storytelling. And if the disc doesn't feature any "bonus" materials on it, all the better, as that's just more information for the film itself to be using. Besides which the percentage of "bonus features" worth the time is lower than Trump's approval ratings with anyone approaching basic sanity.

When Creed comes out in a few months and I buy that, I'm not going to give a fuck that the menu is just a bar with five buttons on it. I'm certainly not going to withhold a purchase of that film for that reason, because that's just silly.

It's silly, Jett.

You're silly.

Yea, I don't care about the box. I care about the transfer quality, audio mix and movie quality.

Mad Max delivered on everything. Furious 7 has a nicer menu, but the sound mix is uneven at times.

Timu

This year was the best year for movies, for me, in recent memory.

Fury Road headlines that list.
I prefer last year personally with GOTG, X-Men, Captain America, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in that year, but no lie, this year had some heavy hitters as well like this movie.

Monocle

I prefer last year personally with GOTG, X-Men, Captain America, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in that year, but no lie, this year had some heavy hitters as well like this movie.
Between Fury Road, Ex Machina, Inside Out, The Force Awakens, and possibly The Hateful Eight, I'd say 2015 has an edge over 2014.

GOTG is the only major standout among the titles you mentioned IMO. Maybe Captain America too.

i enjoyed the 3 marvel movies last year (xmen, guardians and to a lesser extent cap 2) and apes was really good.

but man fury road and creed alone just decimate the last 5 years (and probably longer if i thought about it) of franchise films for me tbh. hell i'll put both of them in my movies of the decade.

Timu

Between Fury Road, Ex Machina, Inside Out, The Force Awakens, and possibly The Hateful Eight, I'd say 2015 has an edge over 2014.

GOTG is the only major standout among the titles you mentioned IMO. Maybe Captain America too.
Yes, 2015 has heavy hitters, but 2014 had more other enjoyable movies for me. I don't mind anyone saying 2015 is better, I just think 2014 was really special for me as I been to the theaters numerous times that year as well!

This year has Fury Road.
Thank god too, or else this year wouldn't be as epic.

i enjoyed the 3 marvel movies last year (xmen, guardians and to a lesser extent cap 2) and apes was really good.

but man fury road and creed alone just decimate the last 5 years (and probably longer if i thought about it) of franchise films for me tbh. hell i'll put both of them in my movies of the decade.
I need to see Creed.

Eos

Just watched this after Creed yesterday and I was blown away. The action scenes had me so into the film like no other movie and it was just shot beautifully. Definitely my favourite movie that I've watched this year.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am way late to this party but I finally saw it and have already rewatched it as well. certainly one of the best action movies ever.

Does anyone happen to have a gif of the sweet-ass handshake when she agrees to Max's idea?

2015 has been a great year with both awesome big budget films and indie darlings, and I have a lot of fall movies I still need to see.

On a different note, has anyone here watched the black and white version of the movie on the Blu Ray? I got it today as a Christmas present and was wanting to know if it was worth my time.
As if I haven't already watched the movie 3 times anyway

Blader

On a different note, has anyone here watched the black and white version of the movie on the Blu Ray? I got it today as a Christmas present and was wanting to know if it was worth my time.
As if I haven't already watched the movie 3 times anyway

There is no black and white cut (yet?). It was not released (yet?).

Picked this up on Blu-ray a couple months back and finally got around to watching it.

Christ, what an incredible ride. I'm really kicking myself for not seeing this in IMAX.

Eos

Watched it again and still loved every bit of it. Does anyone know any other movies like this, action wise?

Watched it again and still loved every bit of it. Does anyone know any other movies like this, action wise?

There isn't really anything like this.

I mean, Road Warrior is close, but even then... it's not Fury Road.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably the only other action movie as well put-together as this one.

jett

D-Member
There isn't really anything like this.

I mean, Road Warrior is close, but even then... it's not Fury Road.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably the only other action movie as well put-together as this one.

UPA8Ojj.jpg

As a pure action film, I actually found Fury Road to be more satisfying than T2, although that's obviously a great movie (and one I've seen many, many times).

Top Bottom