• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Ricky_R

I thought the movie was ok. That last action scene was nuts though. Probably one of the best directed and edited sequences ever.

These are already victories, really. I don't know if it should win Best Picture awards--I haven't seen enough yet this year--but it should absolutely be considered, and it is.

Lunar15

I'm fine with it not getting best picture, but I really think Miller needs a shot at best director. It's been a long time since I've seen a film with that kind of budget retain that much vision in a really coherent package. It's the movie he wanted to make, hands down.

Loxley

I'm fine with it not getting best picture, but I really think Miller needs a shot at best director. It's been a long time since I've seen a film with that kind of budget retain that much vision in a really coherent package. It's the movie he wanted to make, hands down.

Yep, exactly how I feel.

gabbo

Amazing. Really cool to see the critics giving Miller and the movie the recognition they deserve.

At the same time, Warner Bros has apparently had a terrible year (3 nominations, it seems 2 of 3 Mad Max), so they best get on promoting Fury Road like their jobs depend on it... or green light that sequel

LTTP on this one. I loved it. Balls to the wall action. No pretense to have fluff story where there shouldn't be, but with the strength of the acting made that point moot. The story was good enough for this movie.

And the action... Nothing to saw that I had my jaw on the floor the entire time. Movie of the year for me so far. TFA will have to be great to beat this.

Hyun Sai

I'm kicking myself HARD for not seeing this at a theater. Finally watched it with my girlfriend Saturday night, then again early yesterday afternoon so I could crank it. One of the best action movies I've laid my eyes on in my 32 years of existence. WOW!!!!

Yeah, seeing this in the theater's giant screen was definitely something else.

Asbel

Finally saw this yesterday. Love the rides. So fucking cool. I'm really enjoying these movies that keep the plot simple so they can focus on the action and style like Dredd, Raid and John Wick. Of course, Fury Road blows those movies away in the style department.

Watched the extras and apparently Furiosa has beef with
Imortan. That explains why she was so angry when she pulled his breathing mask off.

jett

D-Member

tumblr_noh76nHVWj1slgoado1_500.gif

inm8num2

'Mad Max: Fury Road': driven to the edge (Screen Daily)

Great article on development and production of MMFR. This might be of interest:

In 2016, there might also be a black-and-white version of the film, which Miller confirms was his original intent. A greyscale and silent version was leaked online in September, although it has since been removed. Mitchell says that an official version exists and could yet receive a theatrical release.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Friggin' deserved.

Old man Miller made the best Action flick in years puttin' all the young directors on blast.

Having watched the lakes fan version, this movie looks amazing in black and white

Yeah, a Miller-approved contrast-corrected B&W version with proper audio mixing? Good Lord.

Also, I'm feeling like it's really safe to say this film is going to get nominations for Picture, Director, Editing, and Cinematography. Theron is a dark horse for Actress.

This is fucking crazy to me. To actually be confident in saying the above.

A Mad Max movie is probably going to get around (or north of) 10 Oscar nominations.

Veelk

Banned
I don't really get the appeal of the B&W version. The colors Fury Road has going for it are expertly used. Every movie poster in existance nowadays uses the blue/orange color scheme, but Fury Road made it feel fresh.

I've seen some scenes in B&W and it looks worse to me.

brau

I don't really get the appeal of the B&W version. The colors Fury Road has going for it are expertly used. Every movie poster in existance nowadays uses the blue/orange color scheme, but Fury Road made it feel fresh.

I guess BnW is known for accenting all of the details. It would be interesting for sure.

I wouldn't ask just for the B&W version in lieu of the color version, but I find it an interesting and worthy companion.

No, he had a totally different audio mix for the B&W version though, so it was more like/is a silent film (dialogue-wise)

It was sort of like Soderberg's B&W and silent Indiana Jones video, if you watched that awhile ago. Soderberg put a lot of very different music (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack, if I remember right) in his version though.

AwardsDaily contender tracker has Fury Road sitting as the #2 frontrunner for Best Picture and George Miller is now #1 frontrunner for the Best Director oscar.

It's also frontrunner for Editing, Cinematography, Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Makeup & Hair,

http://www.awardsdaily.com/

Was the audio mixing flawed?

Yeah. I mean, for a fan-produced alternative, it was still really good, but

1) I got the sense he just desaturated the image, and didn't take the time to go through scene by scene and adjust the brightness/contrast/gamma levels.
2) the audio mix got weird and watery at times due to the processing he had to apply to remove dialog and some sfx from the main audio channels.

Neither of those two things would be present in the Miller version.

Top Bottom