• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

gabbo

I liked the ending they went with. Max found his redemption, but he's still lost to the wasteland. It would've been too easy to just pair him up with Charlize.

Thanks for sharing.

Agreed. That unused ending doesn't lead to a lot of different options for possible sequels either. Would 5 be something along the lines of Mad Max: Burned the Roast? Mad Max:Do These Curtains go with this Cave? There is always the option that he's not the same guy, taking on the mantle, but I digress.

Simo

Agreed. That unused ending doesn't lead to a lot of different options for possible sequels either. Would 5 be something along the lines of Mad Max: Burned the Roast? Mad Max:Do These Curtains go with this Cave? There is always the option that he's not the same guy, taking on the mantle, but I digress.

There wasn't any plans for others after Fury Road when they started. It wasn't until the gap and false starts of 12 years between 2000-2012 that they finished a script for a follow up and outline for a third.

Like McCarthy said that original ending was when Mel was still onboard and would of brought some measure of closure for Max after the course of 4 films. So yeah I think with Mel in the role...I would of liked to of seen it but oh well.

Don't get me wrong I love the ending as it is, it's just Fury Road would of been a totally different beast and film with Mel involved so it's hard to say or speculate which was "better". lol

gabbo

There wasn't any plans for others after Fury Road when they started. It wasn't until the gap and false starts of 12 years between 2000-2012 that they finished a script for a follow up and outline for a third.

Like McCarthy said that original ending was when Mel was still onboard and would of brought some measure of closure for Max after the course of 4 films. So yeah I think with Mel in the role...I would of liked to of seen it but oh well.

Don't get me wrong I love the ending as it is, it's just Fury Road would of been a totally different beast and film with Mel involved so it's hard to say or speculate which was "better". lol

I agree with you and the reasoning for them not using it.

Raja Sen is in my opinion the singularly the best film critic in all of India. He reviews pans mostly Bollywood movies (they are actually very fun to read) but his reviews for Hollywood movies are some of the best. He is extremely well-versed in international cinema and academic, film school stuff. He is predicting that Mad Max: Fury Road is going to sweep the Oscars.
Oh, what a day. What a lovely day.

The Academy Of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences took it upon themselves to reward the most critically acclaimed action movie of the decade by showering it with nominations, and thus does the epic Mad Max: Fury Road weigh in with a whopping 10 nominations and a very realistic chance to sweep the Oscars.

Ten nominations, however, is still less than 12 -- and that's the count Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu's latest film The Revenant has racked up, thanks to nods in the acting categories for Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy.

And yet I feel it is Hardy's other film that will win.
Read on to find out!

By the way,

15oscar-nominations1.jpg

This poster is AWESOME.

Toxi

Banned
This is such a rewatchable movie. Saw it again tonight and I still love all of it. I think the key reason Fury Road lends itself to rewatching so well is that it's incredibly paced and every scene contributes to the whole.
Also, the incredibly talented Miracle of Sound has done a Fury Road song if anybody's interested. It's pretty good, and I've been listening to it practically on repeat since yesterday.
Half a year later, I finally checked this song out. It's pretty great. Love the use of "cerberus" to refer to the three great oppressive forces of the movie: Guns and gas and gods.

Magwik

Banned
Raja Sen is in my opinion the singularly the best film critic in all of India. He reviews pans mostly Bollywood movies (they are actually very fun to read) but his reviews for Hollywood movies are some of the best. He is extremely well-versed in international cinema and academic, film school stuff. He is predicting that Mad Max: Fury Road is going to sweep the Oscars.

Read on to find out!

By the way,

15oscar-nominations1.jpg

This poster is AWESOME.

I've had that poster (with the fixed colors) as my phone wallpaper for months

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Spotlight is a great movie tho. Sure it's not flashy, and it's more traditional Oscar fair, but it's super low key and restrained while being entirely compelling.

That being said, Mad Max is obviously better. I wouldnt be upset if Spotlight nabbed BP, but I really really want Miller to get best director.

Spot light is a bog standard procedural imo. It is fine but nothing about the movie screams unique like Mad Max does. I would even take the Revenant over spotlight let alone Mad Max.

Spot light is a bog standard procedural imo. It is fine but nothing about the movie screams unique like Mad Max does. I would even take the Revenant over spotlight let alone Mad Max.

I don't really think its bog standard. It feels like its dipping from the same well of quietly intense infests active reporting that movies like Zodiac dipped in. Spotlight is obviously more subdued, less stylized, and has less murder fueled tension, but the well sketched and acted obsessive characters and compelling storyline makes the whole thing engaging. The way it handles the subject matter is pretty fascinating too, like the one scene where McAdams confronts the priest on his porch was crazy. Everything from the cinematography to the performances absolutely don't call attention to themselves but when you look closer they are actually very good.

Mad Max is obviously more unique and I think easily the better film, but Spotlight is certainly great and I think disarmingly so, because I expected it to be the bog standard procedural that you describe.

Toothless

Mad Max won 10 Critic's Choice Awards:

Best Director (George Miller)
Best Action Movie
Best Actor in an Action Movie (Tom Hardy)
Best Actress in an Action Movie (Charlize Theron)
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Hair and Makeup
Best Visual Effects

WITNESSED!!

gabbo

Best Action Movie
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Hair and Makeup
Best Visual Effects

WITNESSED!!
Damn man. He really does stand a chance of picking up some hardware at the Oscars for something that isn't penguin related

Weckum

Best Action Movie
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Hair and Makeup
Best Visual Effects

WITNESSED!!

What a day, what a lovely day.

Man, all these awards are getting me excited about it actually winning one or two important Oscars. Looking at the competition, it's not super far fetched to win an Oscar for Best Picture. I'd lose my shit if that happens.

GhaleonEB

Just saw this come across my Twitter feed. Hilarious and basically how I thought about movies this year. Favorite bit:

“Spotlight”: I got to see this for free because Marty Baron, now the editor of The Post, is portrayed by Liev Schreiber in it! It was good, I think, but as a journalist I have an innate weakness for movies where people with no fashion sense are lauded as heroes. A memorable part of this movie is when you see the trucks drive out to deliver the paper with an explosive story in it, almost as memorable as the part in “Mad Max: Fury Road” where a character named the Doof Warrior rides behind a GIANT WALL OF SPEAKERS on a huge truck playing sick guitar solos.

I've been looping it the last 3 days out of nowhere. Hadn't listened to it for awhile, thought about it the other day, and it hasn't come out of rotation since.

Xisiqomelir

So I finally watched this, and it's a pretty good movie, as all Miller movies usually are.

I found the pacing great, and the characterization excellent. Nux is one of the most interesting roles in a Miller movie, even if his end was a little hackneyed.

I took some issue with insane amount of colour filtering, especially in the swamp. The CGI and shakycam was also distracting, but the former was not as excessive as a full-on Cult of Hollywoodism movie, and the latter didn't make it unwatchable.

For quality I'd say it's 3rd in the series behind Max (best) and Road Warrior (next-best). 8
/10, good.

I hope it cleans up at the Oscars because I think it's ridiculous that only "genre-approved" movies are allowed to win awards.

Toothless

It's rare that a movie is perfect for me. I may find flaws with them, but the flaws are more jokes about the movies than anything that's actually bothersome. Mad Max: Fury Road is a perfect movie. The editing, the acting, the action, the worldbuilding... everything just works splendidly. Calling out members of the cast and crew would be a waste because everyone deserves recognition for making the best film experience of 2015. Well, with the exception of George Miller, whose passion for this project shows in a simply beautiful way. This was my fifth watch (first one on a TV rather than a film screen), and I'm still noticing new details and enjoying it more than previous times. Mad Max: Fury Road is, for lack of any better term, a masterpiece.

Rocketz

Re-watched it again the other night and its one of the few movies that turns 2 hours into what feels like 20 minutes. It just doesn't stop and is a joy to watch from beginning to end. I recently finish the Mad Max game from Avalanche and props to them making the world and cars feel like they were straight from the movie and universe.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Re-watched it again the other night and its one of the few movies that turns 2 hours into what feels like 20 minutes. It just doesn't stop and is a joy to watch from beginning to end. I recently finish the Mad Max game from Avalanche and props to them making the world and cars feel like they were straight from the movie and universe.

Exactly how I felt the second time I watched it.
Non stop, flawless action movie.
I need to unsubscribe this thread cuz it makes wanna watch the movie over and over again.

Simo

Miller talks about the Black & White version again. Sounds like they've got plans for a more deluxe re-release of the blu-ray that'll include the B&W version with more features and commentary tracks etc.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-en-george-miller-mad-max-20160121-story.html
The best version of Road Warrior was what we called a "slash dupe," a cheap, black-and-white version of the movie for the composer. Something about it seemed more authentic and elemental. So I asked Eric Whipp, the [Fury Road] colorist, "Can I see some scenes in black and white with quite a bit of contrast?" They looked great. So I said to the guys at Warners, "Can we put a black-and-white version on the DVD?" There wasn't enough room. [It'll end up] on another version with commentary and other features.

Dead

well not really...yet
I finally managed to sit down and watch this entire thing over the past week.

Want to kick myself for not seeing it in theaters (though I legit could not find the time then)

It's literally a perfect movie. A 2 hour fever dream of chaos and destruction. Incredible that George Miller at 70 years old, after fucking away to the land of pigs and penguins, could make this movie and further reinforce just how straight up untalented most current generation Hollywood directors are at staging and executing action.

Also watched the movie in 3D on my 4K OLED set and it was beyond words. 4K OLED tech really sells 3D tech as you get the clarity, color and brightness of a 2D set but with the depth of 3D. Literally the best of both worlds.

And that Junkie XL score...oh man.

Can't wait for the 4K HDR blu-ray to see it in that format

Monocle

Want to kick myself for not seeing it in theaters (though I legit could not find the time then)

It's literally a perfect movie. A 2 hour fever dream of chaos and destruction. Incredible that George Miller at 70 years old, after fucking away to the land of pigs and penguins, could make this movie and further reinforce just how straight up untalented most current generation Hollywood directors are at staging and executing action.

Also watched the movie in 3D on my 4K OLED set and it was beyond words. 4K OLED tech really sells 3D tech as you get the clarity, color and brightness of a 2D set but with the depth of 3D. Literally the best of both worlds.

Witness!

Very jealous of that tv!

But watching it on 3D Bluray at home, I was amazed as well. The 3D is up there with the very best, it really added to the experience.

I loved the movie as well but still don't get how Tom Hardy got a free pass. He had about 4 or 5 different accents throughout. I couldn't tell if he was trying to be Australian or not but it was all over the place. The only real negative of a great movie.

It's doing an Oscar re-run in theatres right now, I think.

The "Brothers in Arms" track from the score playing over the escape from the canyon scene makes for one of the greatest moments in any film from the past decade. That scene, taken on it's own, tells it's own story, and is shot and edited to perfection.

Top Bottom