• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Nibel

Well fuck me, Road Warrior was fucking amazing. I love how the first movie shows an apocalyptic world that is still working somehow and the second goes full mayhem.

Can't believe this was made in the 80s; the last third of the movie is action heaven. Don't get me wrong, the first two third are great as well and ooze tons of style, but the last section... whew, I had to sit straight because I was so invested in it, lol. Also, during the movie I realized how many other fictional works this movie inspired.

Not sure if I'll watch Thunderdome again, though; think I'm ready for this one.

Acinixys

Watching Thunder Dome and I have to ask

Why the fuck are there so many kids

Theres like 20 yearolds and the rest are 14 and under

Won

2D showing on the smallest screen possible, while 3D is on the biggest in the cinema. Blah, I guess I have to go for 3D in the end.

I was kind of surprised at how "light" of an R this was. It's awesome they didn't make a couple cuts to get a PG13, but on the other hand I wonder if it might have been the right call BO-wise.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The last fight scene in this is action heaven. Think Mad Max 2 or Raiders, but with the benefit of modern pre-vis and digital enhancement. Just fucking crazy and hilarious.

I was surprised at how moving this film is.
I was kind of surprised at how "light" of an R this was. It's awesome they didn't make a couple cuts to get a PG13, but on the other hand I wonder if it might have been the right call BO-wise.
It's not Dredd, but they earned the R rating. There's some nasty bloody stuff in the last 30 minutes.
It was refreshing to see a blockbuster without sanitised violence.

duckroll

I was supposed to wait till next week to watch this with a friend. Couldn't wait, too much hype. I figured if it's really good I can just watch it again.

God. Damn.

This is definitely an instant action movie classic. Everything about it is perfect for what it sets out to do. Perfect pacing, perfect framing, perfect choreography. The editing, audio, and narrative design deserve a ton of praise. This is the exactly what people are asking for when they want movies that show rather than tell. Lots of world building, lots of character development, really good foreshadowing and pay off for almost every plot point, and almost none of it required actual dialogue. Definitely one of the tightest action movies out there in terms of taking a simple concept, not bloating it up with nonsense, but filling it out with all sort of interesting motifs, larger than life characters and factions, huge set pieces, and just letting everything roll together to deliver one hell of an experience.

For a film which is basically one large chase in an open desert I was really impressed with how it was paced and divided into very conscious chapters, each with a distinct tone and color. Stuff like that go a long way in keeping a movie memorable over time. The character arcs were pretty good, and really sold the idea of survival in the wasteland, while building a unique story around on particular region of it with their own ecosystem and hierarchy. The biggest surprise was how effective the emotional pay off is for everything, even though it's a really simple story with a handful of characters. Every death and every near miss felt significant and had an impact on me. It just... worked.

Totally satisfied, definitely watching it again next week. :)

KidJr

I'm trying to keep my hype levels in check especially after the Avengers hype on GAF (not saying it was bad), surely nothing can live up to the impressions I'm reading on here. I guess I'll find out in t-minus 6 hours.

This is starting to feel like another Gravity to me; something that wasn't tracking too high until the screening impressions and reviews came out. Considering how well Gravity did...

Oh, and I think this movie gets the coveted Seal of Approval by Absolutely Everybody award

Pachimari

I know nothing about Mad Max and right now me and my gf are deciding between Mad Max or Blade Runner at the cinema.

I have seen Blade Runner before though but never in the cinema.

Slixshot

Banned
I was supposed to wait till next week to watch this with a friend. Couldn't wait, too much hype. I figured if it's really good I can just watch it again.

God. Damn.

This is definitely an instant action movie classic. Everything about it is perfect for what it sets out to do. Perfect pacing, perfect framing, perfect choreography. The editing, audio, and narrative design deserve a ton of praise. This is the exactly what people are asking for when they want movies that show rather than tell. Lots of world building, lots of character development, really good foreshadowing and pay off for almost every plot point, and almost none of it required actual dialogue. Definitely one of the tightest action movies out there in terms of taking a simple concept, not bloating it up with nonsense, but filling it out with all sort of interesting motifs, larger than life characters and factions, huge set pieces, and just letting everything roll together to deliver one hell of an experience.

For a film which is basically one large chase in an open desert I was really impressed with how it was paced and divided into very conscious chapters, each with a distinct tone and color. Stuff like that go a long way in keeping a movie memorable over time. The character arcs were pretty good, and really sold the idea of survival in the wasteland, while building a unique story around on particular region of it with their own ecosystem and hierarchy. The biggest surprise was how effective the emotional pay off is for everything, even though it's a really simple story with a handful of characters. Every death and every near miss felt significant and had an impact on me. It just... worked.

Totally satisfied, definitely watching it again next week. :)

psekO3Bh.jpg

Blader

I know nothing about Mad Max and right now me and my gf are deciding between Mad Max or Blade Runner at the cinema.

I have seen Blade Runner before though but never in the cinema.

I just saw Blade Runner in theaters a month ago actually, cool experience. I'd say go for that if only because, I'm assuming, that's a one-time only thing while Mad Max will still be there the next day or weekend.

duckroll

How is hardy as max? Everyone says Theron is great but haven't heard much about him

He was good, but he's a bit more of a normal guy caught in a crazy situation. Hardy doesn't have the crazy eyes Gibson has, and he doesn't try to go out of his way to mimic that since it wouldn't be natural. Instead he plays to his strengths as a guy who is filled with loss but tries to carry on. You really can't out-Gibson Gibson, so I'm glad they didn't try.

Apparently great, but most reviews I've seen say that he is there as a prop, Charlize Theron absolutely steals the spotlight

Prop is really the wrong word I think. The story presents Max as the "stranger" to the tale. He's the outsider caught up in this particular story. The wanderer. Like when you create a player character for a RPG and play through a game scenario - the story development is all built around characters who are part of that world. Max is a perspective for the audience and a wild card in the dynamics. He doesn't have a stake in any of it, but he's not a "prop".

kitzkozan

How is hardy as max? Everyone says Theron is great but haven't heard much about him

He doesn't have the screen presence or charisma of Mel Gibson, that's obvious. Given the amazing reviews, it probably doesn't matter all that much since it seems Theron is getting the job done and he's probably solid in it as well (and the movie itself is the draw with the action scenes and what not).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Hardy sells the sadness of the character with his eyes.

If you're Australian though you'll be bothered by his accent. It's a bizarre hybrid of American, Australian and English.

IronRinn

Hype is through the roof at this point. Probably won't see it until next week to avoid sitting in a packed theater, but god damn am I excited for it.

Prop is really the wrong word I think. The story presents Max as the "stranger" to the tale. He's the outsider caught up in this particular story. The wanderer. Like when you create a player character for a RPG and play through a game scenario - the story development is all built around characters who are part of that world. Max is a perspective for the audience and a wild card in the dynamics. He doesn't have a stake in any of it, but he's not a "prop".
The lone gunslinger, the wandering ronin, etc., etc.

He was good, but he's a bit more of a normal guy caught in a crazy situation. Hardy doesn't have the crazy eyes Gibson has, and he doesn't try to go out of his way to mimic that since it wouldn't be natural. Instead he plays to his strengths as a guy who is filled with loss but tries to carry on. You really can't out-Gibson Gibson, so I'm glad they didn't try.
Bronson begs to differ.
tumblr_n2awsn1rHb1s7b6r7o1_500.gif

But yeah, Miller probably wanted him to be a different kind of Max.

Hamlet

Tom Hardy sells the sadness of the character with his eyes.

If you're Australian though you'll be bothered by his accent. It's a bizarre hybrid of American, Australian and English.

Didn't bother me too much lol. Though then again
he doesn't speak a great deal in this. Nothing will ever beat those super cringy aussie accents in Pacific Rim though. I was more sad we didn't get to see more of him in the interceptor. RIP interceptor :(

Completely agree with you.

Now, mind you, there are a few differences. Fury Road's budget is higher, it's a low R while Gravity was a real high PG-13, Gravity was almost all 3D, etc.

But they're both Warner, and they like taking chances. Edge of Tomorrow, American Sniper, Fury Road..they're not scared of trying some crazy shit out. They're my favorite studio at the moment for stuff like this

And the main thing I'd compare: With both Gravity and Fury Road, it is very difficult to describe what they are like to someone who hasn't seen it. You need to see it to get it.

IronRinn

Bronson begs to differ.
tumblr_n2awsn1rHb1s7b6r7o1_500.gif

But yeah, Miller probably wanted him to be a different kind of Max.

I was gonna say...man can do crazy.

I like the idea of Max as (how reviews have been describing him) a man who has shut down into almost pure survival mode. Things happen around him, "society" is going about its business, Max just works to live one more day. It seems like a natural progression of the character on film and it's why it makes perfect sense for Furiosa to be the more proactive character.

God I should just fucking see this this weekend.

Carbonox

Now, mind you, there are a few differences. Fury Road's budget is higher, it's a low R while Gravity was a real high PG-13, Gravity was almost all 3D, etc.

But they're both Warner, and they like taking chances. Edge of Tomorrow, American Sniper, Fury Road..they're not scared of trying some crazy shit out. They're my favorite studio at the moment for stuff like this

Plus they're doing some cool things with gaming as well. I don't agree/like everything they do but WB is delivering on many fronts lately I feel.

duckroll

It's entirely anecdotal, so I don't think it means much right now, but I went for an evening screening on opening day today here in Singapore and the cinema was practically empty. Maybe 10 people. I really hope the word of mouth keeps pushing the film, because if it doesn't seem to have a ton of opening hype for mainstream audiences.

Experien

This is starting to feel like another Gravity to me; something that wasn't tracking too high until the screening impressions and reviews came out. Considering how well Gravity did...

Oh, and I think this movie gets the coveted Seal of Approval by Absolutely Everybody award

Except Gravity is PG-13 and has lightness to it that is accessible to everyone. This is dark and crazy and I mentioned the movie's name ONLY to a co-worker and they instantly said no.

I think this movie might not do awesome at the box office based on how odd/crazy/dark it looks. I'll probably wait until Memorial Weekend to see it again but I don't have high hopes.

Also, Gravity wasn't good and this IS good.

Plus they're doing some cool things with gaming as well. I don't agree/like everything they do but WB is delivering on many fronts lately I feel.

They're definitely the studio that I think doesn't mind taking risks with their properties. Every studio does silly shit, but they've got real stones.

It's entirely anecdotal, so I don't think it means much right now, but I went for an evening screening on opening day today here in Singapore and the cinema was practically empty. Maybe 10 people. I really hope the word of mouth keeps pushing the film, because if it doesn't seem to have a ton of opening hype for mainstream audiences.

This sounds about right to me. The opening weekend won't be big. It'll need legslegslegs to do well. I could see Oblivion or Edge of Tomorrow-esque grosses here.

Except Gravity is PG-13 and has lightness to it that is accessible to everyone. This is dark and crazy and I mentioned the movie's name ONLY to a co-worker and they instantly said no.

I think this movie might not do awesome at the box office based on how odd/crazy/dark it looks. I'll probably wait until Memorial Weekend to see it again but I don't have high hopes.

Also, Gravity wasn't good and this IS good.

Gravity reviews and impressions were at a high level pre-release, and it skates real close to R territory to be honest.

WB seems to know when they have a winner because they do significantly more advance screenings for them, to get word of mouth. I saw Gravity a month before release.

Just came back from a screening.

This is as massive a step up in contemporary action filmmaking as *any* breakout action film I can think of. Any film that has heaps of composited loopy CG car chases from now on is going to feel extremely weak and out of date.

The film is significant for all the laziness it immediately makes impossible. Think about the last action film that genuinely physically impacted you. How long has it been? The first Avengers? Fast and Furious 2? Ghost Protocol? The Raid?

This is it, folks. The concept of hype does not actually apply here. It's not about whether you think it's good. It is objectively good. (source: I've seen the film.)

I'll second the comments about the pacing and colour schemes. It's all fast except for three slow scenes which quickly degenerate. Hardy is great as Max, and the accent is *perfect* because it's not just Australian, it's NIDA-Australian just like Steve Bisley in the first film. Hardy is a genius, but Theron is majestic.

There is *barely* a story but everything matters, everything is symbolic, the politics are right out there, and everything explodes forever.

If you can nit-pick anything in this film, I salute you. I've been trying to since I walked out and I'm dumbfounded. Even the bits that felt micro-lame at the time were blown up and run over by another randomly amazing truck. (This is literal).

Top Bottom