• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The overwhelmingly positive reception and the fact that I'll have to wait for two more agonizing days are slowly killing me, but the fact that somebody gave George Miller like 100 million dollars to make an unbridled practical effects-driven R-rated action movie - and worthy reboot of his own iconic franchise no less - is giving me life.

He really is the best, though. Much like Babe: Pig in the City, undoubtedly the darkest and most wonderful talking animal film ever made, I'm still pretty stunned that this was even allowed to exist.
Apparently the final figure was closer to $200 million! Just miraculous.

I'm off to see this. If I don't post impressions, the hype killed me.

ron_bato

Wow. I just finished watching this movie and I love it. Echoing a lot of the thoughts on the movie in this thread.

The action was excellent. The soundtrack, simply amazing. This has got to be the most well choreographed, crazy action movie I've ever seen.

I don't know the last time I was this anxious and tense in watching an action movie.

The plot is pretty straightforward, and pretty generic so there's that, and there are some things in the movie I don't completely buy into. However, the acting was great and the cinematography was excellent. Although the movie is titled after max, I think Charleze theron steals the show in the movie. She was pretty damn good.

Tldr:go watch the movie. I knew nothing about the mad Max franchise, and I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend this to anybody who loves action movies.

Man

Just realised that I've been combining John Milius (Conan the Barbarian 1982) and George Miller (Mad Max quadrilogy) into the same person.
Looking through both their directing credits and it's surprisingly empty outside a couple of ok dramas and/or children movies.

JimiNutz

Banned
To all the people saying that the action is inane, is it all car/vehicle action or is there any one on one unarmed combat? (similar to the fights in The Raid etc.)

I'm a sucker for an intense, well choreographed, bloody fist fight. Will I be satisfied or is it not really that kind of action?

I know this isn't a martial arts movie and that most of the action will be vehicle based but just wondering if I'm going to get to see any awesome fist fighting to go with all the vehicle combat.

Man

Sorry for asking, but why isn't IMDB in those kind of thread titles ?
Every Harry Potter, fantasy-epic, Marvel or fanfare movie has sky-high reviews before and shortly following releases.
The text reviews can be good but the star-rating is (in at least the short term) not trusthworthy.

To all the people saying that the action is inane, is it all car/vehicle action or is there any one on one unarmed combat? (similar to the fights in The Raid etc.)

I'm a sucker for an intense, well choreographed, bloody fist fight. Will I be satisfied or is it not really that kind of action?

I know this isn't a martial arts movie and that most of the action will be vehicle based but just wondering if I'm going to get to see any awesome fist fighting to go with all the vehicle combat.

Most of the action involves heaps of vehicles, but the movie has a one vs one human fight early on that gave me massive The Raid vibes. It's one of the best scenes in the movie!

Most of the action involves heaps of vehicles, but the movie has a one vs one human fight early on that gave me massive The Raid vibes. It's one of the best scenes in the movie!

hah i got indiana jones and jackie chan vibes from that actually. it was both brutal and also involved a lot of pulling and scrambling about.

Hamlet

Most of the action involves heaps of vehicles, but the movie has a one vs one human fight early on that gave me massive The Raid vibes and is one of the best scenes in the movie!

Yeah that one was a goodie. Though don't forget about the one that's about a
quarter of the way
into it.
Max vs Furiosa vs Nux with a chain added in the mix.

Yeah that one was a goodie. Though don't forget about the one that's about a
quarter of the way
into it.
Max vs Furiosa vs Nux with a chain added in the mix.

oh yeah that was the one I was referring to as well.
man furiosa fucking rocked. and when max fired those rounds right near her head...whew. so quick and powerful

All you War Boys coming from your screenings...WE ARE CHROME!

lol

uno01.gif

Simo

So for those that have seen it I have to ask: What were your guys take on the big plot point being...

...that after running away from the Citadel that they end up turning around and heading straight back there? For me it was the only logical choice they had given how Max lays out their chances if they keep heading deeper in to the wasteland or head back to a undefended fortress with food and water. It was also great to see that after seeing the group run away through out the film that they turn to face and confront the war tribes.

I ask because this is something I've seen a few people bitch about online and also overheard it from a few people at my screening last week who as a result said the plot was "stupid".

Nibel

Just got back.

What a relentless, onslaught of madness! The action. The cinematography. The editing. And wait for it...NO SHAKY CAM! It's a miracle! The action was just so fluid and well shot! The action scene that happened when they met at the canyon was GOAT action scene caliber. It was unreal. The story is pretty much non-existent and it does hurt the movie a bit, but holy hell I can't stress enough how amazing the action is!

Never seen any of the old Mad Max movies and I went in completely blind on this. I was going to see Age of Ultron with a friend but we decided to switch to this after I saw this thread with all the glowing reviews yesterday. Pretty sure I made a good choice. If I didn't see this thread this would have flown completely under the radar for me.

61adb6c860eedc7d99837hdzq7.gif

Sounds amazing. And trust me: Ultron is a lot of fun, but it didn't feel like a novelty like the first one did. Also, the action was good bad technically there was waaay too much motion blur and all that shit. You should still watch it if you can, but yeah, I think you've made the right choice as well going from reviews for both movies.

Watched the very first 1979 Mad Max today and had a great time with it; will now continue with Road Warrior. Also realized that this was the first time I've seen young Gibson, heh.

So for those that have seen it I have to ask: What were your guys take on the big plot point being...

...that after running away from the Citadel that they end up turning around and heading straight back there? For me it was the only logical choice they had given how Max lays out their chances if they keep heading deeper in to the wasteland or head back to a undefended fortress with food and water. It was also great to see that after seeing the group run away through out the film that they turn to face and confront the war tribes.

I ask because this is something I've seen a few people bitch about online and also overheard it from a few people at my screening last week who as a result said the plot was "stupid".

Max was right, it was the only choice short of dehydration and death. At first I thought it was a silly plan, but it's honestly the only choice they have for any chance of survival. Also loved how the ending was kind of a 'fuck you' to the patriarchy of the citadel. I'm gonna assume Imperator Furiosa became the new head

Hamlet

Yeah didn't bother me at all and it gave us some fantastic scenes. You're taking a massive risk heading into the desert for over a hundred days for something that might not even exist. At least you've got a chance heading back and plus a perfect opportunity for Furiosa to get redemption like Max said.

Woops my bad haha. For some reason I though you were referring to the first
Max escape sequence.

Heh, I had actually forgotten about that scene.

61adb6c860eedc7d99837hdzq7.gif

Sounds amazing. And trust me: Ultron is a lot of fun, but it didn't feel like a novelty like the first one did. Also, the action was good bad technically there was waaay too much motion blur and all that shit. You should still watch it if you can, but yeah, I think you've made the right choice as well going from reviews for both movies.

Watched the very first 1979 Mad Max today and had a great time with it; will now continue with Road Warrior. Also realized that this was the first time I've seen young Gibson, heh.

Dude, you're in for a treat! Can't wait to read your impressions.

And I'll definitely check out Ultron when it comes out on blu-ray. I liked the first one but wasn't as crazy about it as most people.

Maximo

Not a *Fan* Per say of the old Mad Max movies but I did enjoy them for what they are. But im super excited for the new Mad Max it looks friggen amazing, going to round up the friends and see if they want to see it tomorrow.

Arkanius

Speaking of the original Mad Max movies.

The world feels way more apocalyptic in the second one than the first. Budget and all of that, but civilization seemed kind of okay in the first.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I enjoyed the
idea of turning the chase on its head and making a run for the citadel. If anything it was the "safe" option given the known quantity that was the citadel versus the unknown of the "endless" salt flats. So I wouldn't consider it stupid.

My only problem with it was
you can drive across the width of Australia in only 3 days. 5 if you are taking your time. The whole concept that they could ride for 160 days and find nothing seemed odd, especially given it was kind of positioned they'd never get to the "other side". Though I'm not sure how literal they were being. Would have preferred it pitched as more of a "who knows what is out there, it could be nothing, but we know where there is something" situation.

Sorry for asking, but why isn't IMDB in those kind of thread titles ?
IMDB is garbage for opinions, and the ratings for it are dumb because there's no checks or balances on whether you've seen the movie and given a rating along with a written review. It's just a popularity poll, essentially. Just like Metacritic user ratings aren't worth much.

IMDB is only good for what it is, a database.

Simo

My only problem with it was
you can drive across the width of Australia in only 3 days. 5 if you are taking your time. The whole concept that they could ride for 160 days and find nothing seemed odd, especially given it was kind of positioned they'd never get to the "other side". Though I'm not sure how literal they were being. Would have preferred it pitched as more of a "who knows what is out there, it could be nothing, but we know where there is something" situation.

There was a scene like that just before that scene though when they see the satellite in the sky at night and wonder what else is out there.

Also, and having to use the video game since it's supposed to be a prequel to Fury Road, I believe the oceans have or could have dried up so the sea beds actually become part of the wasteland too. At least that'd explain Max's dialogue.

JimiNutz

Banned

Thats good enough for me!
Wasn't really expecting any one on one fighting so that's a nice bonus for me.

SpaceHorror

The world feels way more apocalyptic in the second one than the first. Budget and all of that, but civilization seemed kind of okay in the first.

Civilization hadn't fully collapsed yet in the first Mad Max. The MFP that Mad Max was a part of was a last ditch effort the maintain law and order.

Saw it. Some fantastically shot action and some very inspired world building.

Charlize was pretty great. Hardy was okay, but hasn't got a quarter of the screen presence of Gibson.

Charlize was pretty great. Hardy was okay, but hasn't got a quarter of the screen presence of Gibson.

who does these days tbh. one of the best possible choices miller could have worked with given the circumstances.

imdb trivia (not sure how reliable this is) said jeremy renner heavily campaigned for the role....lmao

I just rewatched the first two movies and this is definitely true. But it's kinda interesting, during the final chase scene in the first movie, Max drives past some signs warning of a restricted area/forbidden zone that isn't really explained or anything, and in the intro of Road Warrior it mentions Max wandering into the wasteland and leaving his past behind. Seems to suggest the world of the first Mad Max was a pocket of barely remaining civilization surrounded by the "wasteland" that the other movies take place in.

I know there's a theory that nukes dropped between Mad Max 1 and 2 instead of before Mad Max 1 but nothing in the two movies themselves says so directly, but it exists outside of the movies as an explanation for why the world feels way more apocalyptic.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
There was a scene like that just before that scene though when they see the satellite in the sky at night and wonder what else is out there.

Also, and having to use the video game since it's supposed to be a prequel to Fury Road, I believe the oceans have or could have dried up so the sea beds actually become part of the wasteland too. At least that'd explain Max's dialogue.

The oceans drying up would have that make more sense. Even then, you'd cross any ocean bed within a couple of weeks straightline travel tops.

Of course, the concept they were carrying 160 days worth of fuel just seemed wrong too. Saying they only had 4 or 5 days worth of fuel would just solve the whole "problem".

Yes, that's the point. The first movie is pre-apocalyptic. Civilization is on the steady decline towards complete collapse, but isn't totally gone yet.

Grazzt

Just finished, I think I had serveral orgasms throughout the movie. I could literally feel the adrenalin pounding in my veins!!! Everything in the movie is soooo crazy, in a good way. And the music is definitely one of the best things in this movie.
I think I'm gonna watch it again in 3D tomorow.

Binabik15

It's my last day of visiting my mother and I have to go back to my dorm in the afternoon. I'm arriving a BIT too late for today's screening after my train ride and for tomorrow I'm asked to go to the woman I'll spend the weekend with early instead of Saturda. Daaaamn. I need my testosterone and explosions and shit.

obin_gam

Was gonna see it at 5.40 tonight, but can't stand the wait any longer.
I'll take the matinee showing at 3. In about an hour :D

This movie is now Sculli-approved. Now we wait for Femmeworth's opinion.

I expected your review to be longer tbh.

Top Bottom