• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

HOOOOOOOOLY FUCK
giphy.gif

An uncompromising large-budget vision from an auteur was witnessed on screen. This fucking movie hurts. Every hit, every piece of debris from every crash, every explosion looks painful. Beautiful cinematography (there's a wide shot of the sandstorm in particular which is wallpaper-worthy, some lawrence of arabia vibes in here). Furi-fuckin-osa, hands down the baddest action female since Ripley. Hands down. I have to say it, this movie was relentless. An easy winner for best blockbuster in at least 10 years. You could argue that Avatar can give it a run for it's money, but I found these action scenes even more heart-pounding. And the heavy metal atmosphere is so good. Hardy and Hoult were great, as were the five wives. And Immortan Joe...god damn.

For the DC fans out there
George Miller da gawd just gave us a post apocalyptic themiscyra. Wonder Woman out here popping fools with a rifle too.

It reminded me of that 20 minute train ending in Lone Ranger. But whereas that was like a slapstick homage to Buster Keaton-era silent movie stunts and pulp westerns this is like it's freaky punk rock brother. Disgusting world, with so much damn detail in it. and god bless practical stunts.

fucking beautiful. as lazyslob would proudly say "this is a statement, of female empowerment and ethics in film". Seriously Miller just bitchslapped everybody in Hollywood with the female presence in an action film. Furiosa easily held her own with Max, and it didn't feel forced in the slightest.

And the action scenes...I feel like a beast just woke up from his slumber and literally told Whedon, Nolan, Abrams, Snyder, Bay etc. to sit the fuck down. He's literally staring Cameron eye-to-eye with this Heavy Metal masterpiece. Unflinchingly.

knkng

With this movie in particular, there was a thing with 3D. For the longest time it was intended to be shot with 3D cameras that Miller and his team were actually building specifically for the movie, but with the lengthened process there came a point where suddenly things switched gears and they went full in on 2D, to the point that Miller just didn't even consider 3D while shooting the movie. Like, actively, don't care if this footage won't translate to 3D not worried about it that's up to the conversion guys to deal with in post. Apparently he's said 2D is his preferred version.

Good to know. Unfortunately, the theater near me (which is a pretty major theater in the downtown of my city) is only showing one 2D screening per day. So annoying. I might just hop over to Toronto for this one. Will probably get better audiences over there as well.

Irnbru

Sweet mother of god. What a lovely day. I might just end up watching it tomorrow in a damn suit after an event because fuck you.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Loving that Disco review. That's what I want to hear

Seeing this in a few hours!
Didn't expect this to get so much praise.

I guess I have three Mad Max movies to watch by Friday.
You don't have to watch those to enjoy this, or so I've heard.

ezekial45

Banned
Damn, that's a wonderful review Discotheque.

Given all these glowing reviews, it certainly feels like this movie awoke something raw and real in people. I don't want to say it's like a zeitgeist, but it definitely feels like it touched on things that are important to people.

Okay, I have to see this now. Considering just going alone tomorrow night and watching it a couple more times with the lady and friends.

Cannot believe this turned out so great.

HOOOOOOOOLY FUCK
giphy.gif

He's literally staring Cameron eye-to-eye with this Heavy Metal masterpiece. Unflinchingly.

So you are saying he just dropped the mic in front of Cameron? Don't push Cameron. I feel like if someone does then Cameron will come at them like a mother fuck.

Actually, yes. Come at Cameron. I want to see someone challenge him and force him to step up his already formidable game.

Melon Husk

For those of you riding the hype train and can't wait to see it, I found this interview with George Miller very interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPZeRAqGdVo

No spoilers in there, it's basically about making the movie and how it fits in with the other films, etc.
Def worth a watch. George seems like a really nice and down to earth dude.

Thanks!

Films that utilize 3D in creative ways rather than just throwing it in as an afterthought provide great theater experiences.

I would be thrilled if Fury Road delivers a great 3D experience.

Don't berate The Titanic or The Lion King, they're legit, even as an afterthought. But this? Don't bother with 3D.
The only action film fit for 3D is maybe Dredd.

JasonV

Just saw it. Well, the first quarter crushes most other big budget action movie climaxes, and it ratchets up from there. Im surprised this lunacy made it onto the screen; blockbusters just aren't this intense and unrelenting.

Tansut

So I finished Beyond Thunderdome a little bit ago. Basically everything that doesn't involve Bartertown or the chase at the end is just.... interminable. I get what they were going for with the kids and everything, but yeesh. Certainly not the worst third installment ever made though.

But now with the trilogy viewed I am ready. And after seeing all the reactions I am very, very hyped. Can't wait to go mad.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Very much looking forward to seeing this but after watching the first three over the past few weeks, Road Warrior was the only one I really enjoyed. I assume this movie takes after Road Warrior more than the others?

MattyG

Banned
So should I watch the other movies before I see this? Will it make the experience any better, or will I be 100% fine without them?

Hamlet

So should I watch the other movies before I see this? Will it make the experience any better, or will I be 100% fine without them?

Perfectly fine seeing this without having seen the others. Though you should still watch the other Mad Max films, especially The Road Warrior.

So you are saying he just dropped the mic in front of Cameron? Don't push Cameron. I feel like if someone does then Cameron will come at them like a mother fuck.

Actually, yes. Come at Cameron. I want to see someone challenge him and force him to step up his already formidable game.

Cameron is secure about his place within these tentpole films, I imagine he has to be a big fan of this movie though since it's got all the grit and grime reminiscent of terminator 1 and 2 (somebody earlier pointed out that night-shot with the blue filter looked like T2's future war scenes. spot on, i got huge T2 vibes from the night-scene)

I think more than anyone else Edgar Wright will be taking notes here, especially since his next film is a getaway driver movie. The fact that I'm mentioning these names speaks to the fact that this movie is the real deal for setpieces. First car-chase was almost too much excitement for just the first 1/4 of the film haha.

Cameron is secure about his place within these tentpole films, I imagine he has to be a big fan of this movie though since it's got all the grit and grime reminiscent of terminator 1 and 2 (somebody earlier pointed out that night-shot with the blue filter looked like T2's future war scenes. spot on, i got huge T2 vibes from the night-scene)

I think more than anyone else Edgar Wright will be taking notes here, especially since his next film is a getaway driver movie. The fact that I'm mentioning these names speaks to the fact that this movie is the real deal for setpieces. First car-chase was almost too much excitement for just the first 1/4 of the film haha.
And Cameron is a big Miller fan anyways. Road Warrior was a big influence on him was it not?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think more than anyone else Edgar Wright will be taking notes here, especially since his next film is a getaway driver movie.
He's reportedly already seen it at least three times.
And Cameron is a big Miller fan anyways. Road Warrior was a big influence on him was it not?
Yeah, he said seeing that was the first time he felt a film nailed the kinetic sense of action that he wanted to capture.
T1 is probably the closest film to MM2 in feel.

Wait Babe 2 is amazing? I never got around to watching it for some reason despite loving the first film.

So amazing. It was Gene Siskel's #1 movie of 1998! It's considerably darker than the first, though, so it garnered some mixed opinions followed by the requisite fan-following when it came out. It has aged quite well in the intervening years.

If you watch it, pay careful attention to see if you can spot them barely squeaking by with a G rating.

Yeah, Babe 2 is really damn good. Visually inventive and a lot of fun. It definitely has a different feel than the original Babe, which turned off some people when it first hit. I haven't seen it in a decade or so, and I need to revisit it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Wanted to see this today, but it to turns out my nearest cinema branch is only showing itn 3D? Wtf? How is this allowed?
I am legit upset right now. 3D is difficult for me to view because I wear glasses, and it's super uncomfortable. 3D screens aside from the IMAX ones also are smaller.
I fucking hate 3D so fucking much.

HariKari

So, is this the best reviewed action movie in the history of rotten tomatoes? 99% (with 1 troll review), 9.1 average, with 87 reviews. Easily clears The Dark Knight.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't tell me this. I'm watching the movie tomorrow night then driving 200+ miles back home to LA.
I remember watching TRON Legacy with that awesome Daft Punk soundtrack, and then driving back home from the theater.

I drove safely, not like a crazy virtual reality light cycle person, but yeah I know the feeling. =P

Okay,
I succumbed.
Was going to wait till next week but caved in for a 3D sesion tonight at Dendy in Canberra.

I'll still go next week though.
And nip in for a Saturday lunchtime matinee.

Just got back.

What a relentless, onslaught of madness! The action. The cinematography. The editing. And wait for it...NO SHAKY CAM! It's a miracle! The action was just so fluid and well shot! The action scene that happened when they met at the canyon was GOAT action scene caliber. It was unreal. The story is pretty much non-existent and it does hurt the movie a bit, but holy hell I can't stress enough how amazing the action is!

Never seen any of the old Mad Max movies and I went in completely blind on this. I was going to see Age of Ultron with a friend but we decided to switch to this after I saw this thread with all the glowing reviews yesterday. Pretty sure I made a good choice. If I didn't see this thread this would have flown completely under the radar for me.

Timbuktu

Fingers crossed that the audience would turn step up for this. I had doubts that it would appeal enough to the mainstream to justify this big budget, but hopefully the trailers and the reviews would sway things. Anyone know what kind of number it has to do for the planned sequels to get greenlit?

Game4life

Banned
Just got back.

What a relentless, onslaught of madness! The action. The cinematography. The editing. And wait for it...NO SHAKY CAM! It's a miracle! The action was just so fluid and well shot! The action scene that happened when they met at the canyon was GOAT action scene caliber. It was unreal. The story is pretty much non-existent and it does hurt the movie a bit, but holy hell I can't stress enough how amazing the action is!

Never seen any of the old Mad Max movies and I went in completely blind on this. I was going to see Age of Ultron with a friend but we decided to switch to this after I saw this thread with all the glowing reviews yesterday. Pretty sure I made a good choice. If I didn't see this thread this would have flown completely under the radar for me.

Yes Yes Yes!!!! The bolded is what I want to hear. Lawd!

Top Bottom