• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Well Stuckmann compared this to Terminator 2. I don't agree with that, it kinda overhyped me.

I think it's up there with T2 as one of the best action movies ever made. I mean it's nothing at all like T2 really, but if we just talking about the broad action genre then yeah I think it deserves to be mentioned alongside any of the greats.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
My god. That RT score. I can't remember ever seeing some shit like 140 fresh reviews and 1 rotten lol. That's insane. One more day!!!

Motoko

Jesus, wtf I've just seen!? I' m speechless. THIS MOVIE IS ABSOLUTELY AWSOMEEEEE!

Now i'm going to drink a pint of nitro-methane.

Nibel

Well Stuckmann compared this to Terminator 2. I don't agree with that, it kinda overhyped me.

Did he really? I remember him naming basically his action milestones of the last decades and T2 was part of it; pretty sure he didn't put it above or under any of these movies.

I don't trust him for movie recommendations.

You'll love it, man.

EDIT: I'll just remove any comparisons and let it stand on its own. There's a danger in overhyping, even if I feel this movie is the exception to that rule :)

I'll just say that I think George Miller has as clear a technical and artistic understanding of action within a frame as Cameron does.

Did he really? I remember him naming basically his action milestones of the last decades and T2 was part of it; pretty sure he didn't put it above or under any of these movies.
But when you talk about those milestones I expect to see another milestone. I'm still unsure about my feelings, it's really good but is it that good? I have to see it again.

Chosen3

Ok this movie...

About two hours ago I left the cinema and my hands are still shaking. If this is the last movie I ever see I don't mind. And when I die I want this movie to be shown on the funeral.

And I didn't know anything about the movie beforehand and it absolutely blew my mind.

mxgt

Banned
I mean, I was looking forward to it and knew it'd be good, but 141 fresh and 1 rotten? and all these glowing GAF reviews?

The hype is fucking real. Can't wait until Sunday

Dominator

I'm trying to hype up my friends and none of them want to go see it and they are all telling me its going to be a let down. My friends fucking suck.

You'll love it, man.

EDIT: I'll just remove any comparisons and let it stand on its own. There's a danger in overhyping, even if I feel this movie is the exception to that rule :)

I'll just say that I think George Miller has as clear a technical and artistic understanding of action within a frame as Cameron does.

Sounds good :). Oh man.

I'm trying to hype up my friends and none of them want to go see it and they are all telling me its going to be a let down. My friends fucking suck.

I hate to pull this card, but have you pointed them to Rotten Tomatoes? It's a pretty easy way to convince your "average" movie goer.

I've been spreading the gospel. Talking to coworkers, friends, family, gym buddies.

What's crazy to me is that people even need convincing. Trailer #2 is pretty fucking good--maybe not top tier, but definitely up there for me. Boggles my mind how anyone could see that and think it looks awful.

Clearly I'm right.

ibvUwtQk0pkOJ4.gif

kswiston

Is this the best reviewed explosion heavy action film of all time?

Even setting aside the 99% fresh rating, 8.8/10 average review and a 91 on Metacritic is pretty crazy for a genre film.

Even setting aside the 99% fresh rating, 8.8/10 average review and a 91 on Metacritic is pretty crazy for a genre film.

I compared the film to five-years worth of Oscar bait precisely because comparing it to similar action movies was no comparison at all.

Full review: Go see the movie, it's fucking crazy :p

I can't really think of any comparisons to ma-

I compared the film to five-years worth of Oscar bait precisely because comparing it to similar action movies was no comparison at all.

...yeah, what he said

Swag

Just checked this out, movie was INSANE, I wasn't expecting this, have never watched a Mad Max movie before.

Think I'll go watch it again tomorrow, it was so good.

Game4life

Banned
When was the last time an Action Movie won best picture or director at the Oscars? Oscars committee have some kind of hatred against giving an action movie anything over the oscar bait drama's that we usually see. I hope if this movie is as good as everyone says it is, it gets its due even in the award season.

This quote from one of the reviews really excites me precisely because of the garbage mainstream blockbuster movies have become over the last few years.

A kinetic, hallucinatory, boldly feminist chase flick that, with its vibrant color palette, harrowing stunt work and show-don't-tell style of yarn-spinning, leaves every Marvel movie and every Fast & Furious in its irradiated dust.

Cant freaking wait!

When was the last time an Action Movie won best picture or director at the Oscars? Oscars committee have some kind of hatred against giving an action movie anything over the oscar bait drama's that we usually see. I hope if this movie is as good as everyone says it is, it gets its due even in the award season.

I really doubt it, it just doesn't feel like that kind of movie. I'm sure it will get a bunch of technical nominations though.

Edit : Maybe I'm wrong though. I see Sasha Stone gave it a 9/10 and tagged it in the Best Picture, Best Actress, Visual Effects races.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/201...you-aint-got-nothing-you-got-nothing-to-lose/

I still shake my head in disgust when the Peter Pan kids arrive. What a weird, dumb movie.

But whatev. This is gonna rock.

The idea of a group of humans that split off, for one reason or another, from the rest of society and developed in completely different ways is pretty cool...but yeah, the execution. Nope.

Miller and Seale should get nominations

When you can nominate mediocre directors like martin tilda (imitation game) for such by the numbers filmmaking I don't see why something with this much craft can't

They gave cameron nomination for avatar and Jackson his dues for lotr too so the oscars aren't always above genre movies (they have to be extremely remarkable of course)

Certinty

reviews and comments are insane... i thought it was going to be crap from the trailers.
Me too, still not sure if I'll like it or not but I'll at least give it a shot now.

I finish my exams tomorrow but all my friends finish their exams way later than me, not sure if I can wait 2 weeks to see it or maybe i'll just go to the cinema alone for the first time.

Lunar15

Is it true that Beyond Thunderdome was supposed to be it's own movie, completely unrelated to Mad Max, but at some point they just decided to make it a mad max movie?

If that's true, it explains everything.

3N16MA

Banned
Me too, still not sure if I'll like it or not but I'll at least give it a shot now.

I finish my exams tomorrow but all my friends finish their exams way later than me, not sure if I can wait 2 weeks to see it or maybe i'll just go to the cinema alone for the first time.

Go alone and enjoy the film. No need to punish yourself for 2 weeks.

Movie certainly confirms that Hardy can only put on weird as fuck accents. May as well have just had Locke behind the wheel of the war rig.

Razorback

This movie is every heavy metal album cover come to life.

And those epic hand painted movie posters that would fire up your imagination when you were a child, but then the actual movie would be nothing like it.

This movie is what you imagined when you saw those images.

METAL AS FUCK.

Ristlager

I have come back from a showing with 7 of my mates. And I'll probably be a bit off a downer compared to the rest of you. First, this is a good movie, great even. The visuals, the cast, the action is top notch. It's a fricking great ride, and the two hours just flew by. The first hour I was just smiling from ear to ear, witnessing the incredible mayhem on the screen. But after that, I just doesn't feel the movie manages to keep the flow going as well. And it gets a bit boring (not boring boring, but boring compared to the beginning). So that notches it down a bit from what the hype made it up to be for me. My friends had the same opinion. Still a very good movie, but not in the league of the two raids movies..

Movie certainly confirms that Hardy can only put on weird as fuck accents. May as well have just had Locke behind the wheel of the war rig.

It was fine, strange. Almost croaked like a frog a few times lol. Suited the max they went with in this, voice so strained since he barely uses it

Imagine locke accent in this tho lmao

Hardy's voice changes in every interview too

Top Bottom