• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Fjordson

Goddammit. I just tried to get this awesome Mondo poster for the movie, but it sold out within seconds of their site updating with it.

MAD_MAX_FINAL_1024x1024.jpg
Wow is this awesome.

Trey

12 hours later I still sorta can't believe they pulled this movie off. It was so gorgeous, so frenetic, and still felt fully realized and well paced.

Speevy

Banned
SomewhatGroovy: It is generally considered poor manners to continue to harp on not liking a film that nearly everyone else greatly enjoyed.

Not that your opinion is any less valid than theirs, but it sort of interferes with discussion. Now, if we were discussing Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 (I haven't seen this film), I might be the only person who liked it, which would make me extremely obnoxious in a thread full of haters.

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
Just listening to the soundtrack before to get me hyped, dear lord "blood bag" is one of the coolest tracks I have ever heard from a movie score, Junkie Xl is a god

Reule

I saw this last night with my girlfriend. We wanted to run back into the theater to watch it again. God, I'm in love with everything about this movie. We're trying to find some friends to go see it later today or tomorrow.

Wish that Mad Max game wasn't coming out in September. :(

The "mens rights activists calling for boycott" story is picking up steam, too. CNN, Hollywood Reporter, Cosmo, Guardian, Christian Science Monitor and others have all done writeups on it today.

I said it in the spoiler thread, but I await a gif from the film that is (very, very light spoiler)
Max drinking from the hose.
with the caption, "Misogynist Tears."

Sami+

The "mens rights activists calling for boycott" story is picking up steam, too. CNN, Hollywood Reporter, Cosmo, Guardian, Christian Science Monitor and others have all done writeups on it today.

I'm really hoping this gets more people to go. The showing at my theater was pretty empty.

Max is just caught up in the mess. He wants no part of it, but is pulled into it. Much like with Road Warrior. He isn't the main driving force of the narrative, and that is fine.

Speevy

Banned
The movie is better for having the females take center stage in the fighting.

It makes it easier to tell what's going on when the screen is filled with insane explosions and stuff.

lightus

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I went in blind and I'm happy I did.

The theater I went to was packed. We even had a few people cosplay. Everyone was quiet and I didn't see any cell phones the whole time. Basically the people who went to see it were really into it, which made the experience better.

This movie is weird. I have seen all the original Mad Max's but I'd forgotten just how out there they were. After the first ~20 min I got used to it and became immersed.

The plot was somewhat straight forward but I don't see that as an issue. Complexity isn't a requirement for the plot to be enjoyable. The character development is certainly there, if people say it isn't they aren't paying enough attention.

The detail in this movie is what really got me though. There was just so much variety in the weapons, outfits, set pieces and cars. You can tell they really put in effort in creating this world. Not one thing seemed "out of place". Even the sound track meshed extremely well with what was happening on screen moment by moment.

As a side note, this is one of the few movies where I had to actually hold myself back from talking. After some particularly intense scenes I really felt the urge to turn to my friend and say "Woah, that was fun".

I can see how people wouldn't like this movie. It is a bit "out there" and cheesy in some parts, but I loved it and will be seeing it again.

Jokergrin

Road Warrior was the best mad max movie, and max was just along for the ride in that one too ,getting swept up in other people's shit.

That's Mad Max

8bit

Knows the Score
That was fucking amazing, I never thought I would ever see Brendan McCarthy's visions realised so beautifully.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wife walks in...

*RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE***************************************

I love my wife. Also, I have to wait until Monday to see the movie. Dammit!

Haha I've had this convo with my wife too, except she's really stoked to see it now. We have to wait until tomorrow though dammit. The wait is killing me lol.

It was a supporting role.

I mean, let's start with the poster which has Charlize Theron front and center while Max is masked, as he is for half the movie, and driving the vehicle in the background, which he does a lot of while firing supporting shots. Critics mention it, movie makes it clear. The only events he sets in place involve
the last act
and he does so with a handful of lines. . I'm not sure how that constitutes as a "large" role.

Please don't cherrypick posters. There are several out there, and a few of them ONLY show Max.

Shit, our Alamo has a HUGE wall with this spread:

Maybe the movie's real star is Nicholas Hoult, going by this poster.

edit: I may have jumped the gun by proclaiming that it is a problem. I take that back. I just found no entertainment value out of him. in a movie this absurd, i prefer an absurd character to go along with it. I think the Jack Sparrow from the first Pirates movie is an example of this.

Max has ALWAYS been the "more normal" guy in the series. He's our gateway into this insane world.

Any sex and or titties in this?

Not really.

quick scene with some very large breeding women being breast pumped and another scene with a naked woman but her hair and camera angles pretty much over everything up

As others have said, with some light editing, this could have easily been a PG-13 film. I imagine it can be ported over to cable TV in the future with little issue.

Timeaisis

For those that have seen it in 3D: is it worth it? I have tickets to it again on Sunday (in 2D), but am considering going to a 3D screening if it's worthwhile.

Simo

For those that have seen it in 3D: is it worth it? I have tickets to it again on Sunday (in 2D), but am considering going to a 3D screening if it's worthwhile.

I liked it. A few shots worked great in 3D and even though it was post-converted Miller had 3D in mind when making the film.

I don't think it is. Though, I hate 3D with a passion so maybe I'm not the right person to answer. I hate the dull overall look it generally tends to give films plus the doubling of the image that doesn't always completely go away. And from my memory, other than a few scenes here and there, the 3D tricks in this film don't really stand out all that much.

-griffy-

Banned
I liked it. A few shots worked great in 3D and even though it was post-converted Miller had 3D in mind when making the film.

I'm not so sure Miller had 3D in mind when shooting. Initially that was the plan when they were going to shoot on their own custom 3D cameras, but that was scrapped. In this interview with cinematographer John Seale he makes it sound like they swung hard away from 3D to 2D:

And the little bit of 3D I've seen is pretty damned awesome, I've got to say, because when we were shooting 2D and we took no consideration at all for a 3D post. So we gave them hell. And George didn't want to give them anything. He said. "No, no, what we shoot is what we shoot for 2D and they'll have to look after themselves."

I think it added a lot to the visual effects budget because George doesn't worry about dust in the foreground, whereas if you're going for a 3D post, they don't want it there. They'd rather put it in later. For George, "No, we're shooting 2D first and that's it. Dust goes in."

Simo

I'm not so sure Miller had 3D in mind when shooting. Initially that was the plan when they were going to shoot on their own custom 3D cameras, but that was scrapped. In this interview with cinematographer John Seale he makes it sound like they swung hard away from 3D to 2D:

Right but a lot of the storyboards and initial stunt planning in Broken Hill in 2010 was all designed with 3D filming in mind. It wasn't until the move to Namibia that they had to scrap the whole idea.

3D is actually pretty sublime and non-intrusive, except when it isn't when stuff blows in your face. I'd recommend watching it in 3D, and this is coming from someone who hates 3D shows and owns one of those anti 3D goggles.

Just got back that movie was fucking insane i want to see it again....loved it, and with that my Summer movies are done, nothing i want to see until Stars Wars..

Top Bottom