• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

kris.

Banned
I hope he's a web designer...cause that site is amazing...

It seems from the site's home page that he is "currently doing research in the health industry and [has] uncovered important information that needs to be fully disclosed to you and everyone you know."... and wants you to "read [his] first article published about the cover-up of hidden MSG and its potentially harmful health effects."

How is this guy being counted on RT? Jeez.

I hope he's a web designer...cause that site is amazing...

It seems from the site's home page that he is "currently doing research in the health industry and [has] uncovered important information that needs to be fully disclosed to you and everyone you know."... and wants you to "read [his] first article published about the cover-up of hidden MSG and its potentially harmful health effects."

Amazingly that article was published in 2008. So I guess he has time enough to review movies and make graphs in word but not enough time to update his homepage.

I'm going to see it on Sunday I think, probably on my own for the first time in the cinema but oh well. I think plenty of people go alone.

I always go alone, think group watching should be reserved for Netflix/DVD stuff and when you've already seen it in theaters.

Kinyou

Is the 3D of the movie worth it? Not sure I want to hand out the extra cash, but also wouldn't want to miss it when it's used in a meaningful way.

It's time for me to write a negative review.
I'll make my mark on RT for sure!

0ZS6CFj.png

Corpsepyre

Banned
Really disappointed at the rating. Not only is RT down to 98 %, but Metacritic is down from 91 to 89.

Can't have the good things in life.

An astute observation but not a negative one. You could label a lot of considered genre classics with this, starting with Terminator 2

That is more of a trivial observation rather than an astute one.

It is stupid to watch a film that does not pretend to be anything other than a genre film and to criticise it for being a genre film. And as you say, to a genre fan like me, the observation is not a negative but is instead a positive.

Well based on you guys hyping this to the moon, I just got two tickets for tomorrow night 9:00pm. I even got my finace to say ok. What a weird day.

Trey

What is B-movie about it? Its budget was high, its practical effects are outstanding, the cinematography is pristine, and the plot was completely in service of what the film wanted to do.

That claim doesn't even make sense.

The Chef

I can't believe in the 5 hours its been since I saw this movie I actually think it might be better than Road Warrior.

I knew people said it was supposed to be good but damn that was something else.

a harpy

What is B-movie about it? Its budget was high, its practical effects are outstanding, the cinematography is pristine, and the plot was completely in service of what the film wanted to do.

Just seems like an attempt at an insult, really. Gives me the feeling that he doesn't approve of people liking it.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just saw it.
What an absolutely crazy, whacky, balls to the wall and totally amazing movie. Absolutely breathtaking. The movie was absolutely relentless from beginning to end. Superbly edited. Nothing was waste or boring. It just engulfs you in its craziness and takes you on a ride that will be hard to forget. There were scenes which were so crazy I couldnt do anything but smile and applaud. Its art.
Go crazy or go home.

Just came from the cinema...

I don't know what to say. I had no idea what I was expecting, we went to see another movie but that wasn't available so we watched this. I've never seen a Mad Max movie before...

I might have to see it again... It was just too good!

I think there is a definite 80's, cult, b-movie type of vibe. The characters, the designs, the crazy story told without the usual exposition we are used to seeing, the wackiness of it all.... It's nothing at all like your average Hollywood blockbuster. To me it feels like a story and a vision from the 80's but brought to life with the budget and techniques of modern, blockbuster film-making.

ibmt2tH1M2ORjF.jpg

Mom found it "zabardast" (Urdu for amazing) :D Sister loved it too, take her to every movie.

It had the right amount of emotion, myth making, and rage. Going to see it again on sunday with friends. I loved that they put all the stunt people front and centre in the credits.

Just seems like an attempt at an insult, really. Gives me the feeling that he doesn't approve of people liking it.

That reviewer certainly used b-movie as an insult but the series' and miller's early career was a huge staple of the b-movie genre

This world feels firmly rooted in a b-movie style but with high production values, attention to detail and great cinematography (seriously looks better than any blockbuster I've seen in years)

Whether or not this is a success I hope this really influences other tentpole directors to start taking cinematography and action-shooting seriously.

Edit: but then again avatar is the biggest movie ever and fools still didn't learn the importance of properly framing action from that

Corpsepyre

Banned
ibmt2tH1M2ORjF.jpg

Mom found it "zabardast" (Urdu for amazing) :D Sister loved it too, take her to every movie.

It had the right amount of emotion, myth making, and rage. Going to see it again on sunday with friends. I loved that they put all the stunt people front and centre in the credits.

Bhai, Mai pagal ho raha hoon idhar! Film delay ho gayee hai 29th May tak.

( Told him I'm losing my mind waiting for it since it's been delayed till 29th May here in Pakistan:( :( )

antispin

Saw it earlier today. Awesome! AWE SOME. I didn't get the complain that
Max doesn't get much screen time. For someone that's taking part in someone else's story, I think the movie gave him ample screen. Or was that the complain? That the story doesn't revolve around him? I think the movie is better with this approach.

No 2D, so went for 3D and it was... not bad! I thought the 3D was better than AOU's, or any other converted movie's. Maybe because there was very little it added to it -- just some flairs here and there.

Great movie. The action is awesome and clear. The plot is razor sharp, dialogue is good, deliveries are great. Everyone has a great on-screen presence; beautifully framed by the desert. The world-building and vocabulary is phenomenal. A lovely film, for a lovely day.

That reviewer certainly used b-movie as an insult but the series' and miller's early career was a huge staple of the b-movie genre

This world feels firmly rooted in a b-movie style but with high production values, attention to detail and great cinematography (seriously looks better than any blockbuster I've seen in years)

Whether or not this is a success I hope this really influences other tentpole directors to start taking cinematography and action-shooting seriously.

Yes, cinematography was absolutely stunning I thought. The single best thing about the film. The images in this film burn into your memory while so many other blockbusters fade into a forgettable mess after a few hours/days.

Should be noted that John Seale is 72 years old and came out of retirement to shoot this film.

Almost 30 years ago he shot The Hitcher

the_hitcher_g_011.jpg

And won an Oscar for his cinematography on The English Patient 10 years later.

beginning-ending.jpg

Yes, cinematography was absolutely stunning I thought. The single best thing about the film. The images in this film burn into your memory while so many other blockbusters fade into a forgettable mess after a few hours/days.

Should be noted that John Seale is 72 years old and came out of retirement to shoot this film.

the_hitcher_g_011.jpg

And won an Oscar for his cinematography on The English Patient 10 years later.

beginning-ending.jpg

I don't see the movie getting a Best Picture or Best Director nod, but I can see Cinematography. They'll probably forget about it, though.

Maybe some of the sound categories, too? Its mix/design has been praised a lot.

Oh SHIT you are blowing my mind. The Hitcher is one of my favorites.

And I agree with everything you said about the imagery.

jtb

Banned
Very good.

Tom Hardy is easily the biggest (maybe only) weak link of the film. His barely intelligible grunts (and another accent botch job) carry none of the requisite weight of a great silent protagonist.

Also, it's a film that's so overt and heavy handed with its imagery and themes that you can't help but admire the fact that it commits so fully to its conceit.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Oh man, that suuuucks haha!

Bus tohra sabar karo :D

They played this Indian movie instead from today called Bombay Velvet, and the entire country flocked to the cinemas for it. Next week is Tomorrowland, I believe, and it's being released day and date with the States. Avengers is also playing here and making a lot of money. They just don't show several blockbusters at once here for some reason, even though there are several cinemas. *Sigh*. Waiting :(

They played this Indian movie instead from today called Bombay Velvet, and the entire country flocked to the cinemas for it. Next week is Tomorrowland, I believe, and it's being released day and date with the States. Avengers is also playing here and making a lot of money. They just don't show several blockbusters at once here for some reason, even though there are several cinemas. *Sigh*. Waiting :(

Didn't know Tomorrowland was coming out so soon. Bombay Velvet looks interesting with its homage to Hollywood gangster stuff. But yeah, Mad Max is worth waiting for. Just play some long games to make the wait feel shorter :p

Oni Jazar

(accidentally posted this in spoiler thread)

Just got back and loved every minute it. I've never seen a Mad Max movie so I can't say how it compares to previous films but this movie made me love action movies again.

I saw it in 3D which was not necessary but pretty cool when the car combat got hot and heavy. Yeah there was one or two deliberate 3D IN YO FACE! scenes, but I don't think it detracted from the experience.

I also saw it in D-BOX! This is my first D-BOX experience. I've been intrigued by the notion of watching a movie on a motion directed seat and was actually planning to see Avengers 2 on it but when I put some thought into it... watching a fucking road warrior movie and feeling the rumble of the engines/explosions at every turn was a no brainier! I loved it! Like I can't think of a better movie to watch with this. Not sure if I'll ever do it again but I'm really glad I gave it a shot here.

Anyways the movie was great, right when I was feeling that action movies were so brain dead dull this one comes along and has me gasping and clutching on to my seat in almost every scene. I loved the richness and flavor of the universe with the different people and cars and scenery. I loved all the characters. I wanted more of everything.

Oh and of course now I can't wait to play the videogame. :)

Very good.

Tom Hardy is easily the biggest (maybe only) weak link of the film. His barely intelligible grunts (and another accent botch job) carry none of the requisite weight of a great silent protagonist.

Also, it's a film that's so overt and heavy handed with its imagery and themes that you can't help but admire the fact that it commits so fully to its conceit.

I liked Hardy but it definitely felt like he couldn't quite get a grasp on his character. Like, he ALMOST had it, but veered off. He has his moments, though, and does a good enough job being the extremely reluctant hero.

Didn't help that his accent varied widely. I just want him to be Australian, dammit :(

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just returned from seeing this.

I thought it was pretty good. Visuals and soundtracks are the highlights. My biggest problem was the lack of interesting characters. Everyone was too serious and boring for me.

I don't see the movie getting a Best Picture or Best Director nod, but I can see Cinematography. They'll probably forget about it, though.

Maybe some of the sound categories, too? Its mix/design has been praised a lot.

I'm not expecting it, but it might have an outside chance of a Best Picture nomination (they are still doing up to 10 right?). I have to admit I don't know how crowded it will be this Oscar season but if District 9 can get nominated than this should too.

Edit : THR : Is 'Mad Max' Oscar-Worthy?

At the official press screening on Thursday of Mad Max: Fury Road, the audience broke into spontaneous applause three times during the course of the film.

Top Bottom