• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

knkng

So the question is 2d vs realD-3d standard.

My predicament exactly. Would also love an answer to this.
I actually enjoyed the 3D version quite a bit. It's honestly not very noticeable except for in one particular scene (if you've seen the movie you know what it is). I also found that the sped up footage looked better in the 3D version, whereas in the 2D version it really stood out. All-in-all, it's very subtle 3D and won't ruin the movie or anything like that.

Quick

Banned
Well done movie.

The best way I think I can describe it is it lacks the hand-holding with the plot. You go in, everything happens and it allows you to piece it together without having to be told everything. And everything flows pretty well.

And it was just fucking nuts.

So. Fucking. Good.

I felt like I had a legitimate moment of catharsis when Max and Furiosa truly started working together, blasting fools away while the score blasted in the background. Absolutely mental in the best possible way. I need to see it again.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So. Fucking. Good.

I felt like I had a legitimate moment of catharsis when Max and Furiosa truly started working together, blasting fools away while the score blasted in the background. Absolutely mental in the best possible way. I need to see it again.

yeah everyone had that feeling. Calculated in the best ways.

Fucking brilliant.

The thing I love about the Mad Max films is that they're all unique. As much as I dislike Beyond Thunderdome, it's not because it's a rehash of The Road Warrior. (Because it definitely isn't that.)

Going into this film, I was thinking, "Great! This is gonna be like The Road Warrior again!"

But I was wrong. It wasn't like The Road Warrior. It was its own thing - its own totally fucking awesome thing - while still being 100% Mad Max.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I saw it, and didn't know how to feel about it. Like, there was something off putting about it, but there were also some really good parts to it.

I think I liked it, mostly, but man. That audio!

I couldn't tell what anyone was saying 90% of the time. Charlize was the only person in that who was audible. Tom was Mr. Mumble.

Also, title needed to address Furiosa a bit more.

Hamlet

Saw it again for a second time and i'm already lined up to go see it again next week. So freaking good.
It's going to be hard watching any other actions films after this haha.

Sharp

Have to be honest with you, Gaf. I did not love this movie. Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way. The action sequences are extraordinary. Maybe I am getting old or something but this movie was exhausting. The heroes are always on the run. There is constant, relentless, unending movement in this movie. Sure, it takes a breather here and there but by the time this thing was over I just kind of checked out. It didn't help matters much that Tom Hardy put in such a middling performance. He is relegated to the background and he adopts a very strange accent. He sounded weird as fuck. Charlize Theron's performance was very strong. She's got a great face and wonderful physicality and feminine vulnerablity in the role.

The apocalyptic setting was just absolutely mental in its realization but I need a little more out of my action movies. I didn't care that much for Max at all. I did care when the girls were in peril but when it was all said and done I felt kind of whatever about the whole thing. I can't believe this movie has reviewed as well as it has. My theater also seemed to fucking hate it.

Not to pick on you specifically, but over the years I have noticed that people tend to report that their theater shared their opinions. I think it's confirmation bias.

Speevy

Banned
People generally don't like to let on with their opinions unless they're talking with a friend.

I went to The Dark Knight premiere and people cheered when it was over. People didn't do that for TDKR. Same theater too.

The endings of both No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were each poorly received at my theater.

Basically, it depends on how relatable stuff is to the audience. Max is a ton of fun, but it really tries hard to have every character be weird or unlikeable, with the exception of Charlize Theron.

Just saw it, loved it. I'm not in the "hype explosions ride" train that everyone here seems to be, but I really just loved how varied it was and how it took a premise that I might normally consider dull as all hell (two hour car chase?) and make it not only interesting, but enjoyable. And even though it was nearly constant action, so much character building happened during it that I never felt overwhelmed.

It's crazy, but this is the first film of any type in awhile that hasn't given me a headache and it's probably the most action packed of all of them. Everything was so crisp and clean, while also being dirty and apocalyptic, if that makes any sense.

Really hope we get to see those two sequels he had written out. I want more of this crazy world.

Speevy

Banned
I hate to say it, but this movie probably is going to tank at the box office. It's just too far out there for even balls to the wall action fans to get into it.

Just saw it, loved it. I'm not in the "hype explosions ride" train that everyone here seems to be, but I really just loved how varied it was and how it took a premise that I might normally consider dull as all hell (two hour car chase?) and make it not only interesting, but enjoyable. And even though it was nearly constant action, so much character building happened during it that I never felt overwhelmed.

It's crazy, but this is the first film of any type in awhile that hasn't given me a headache and it's probably the most action packed of all of them. Everything was so crisp and clean, while also being dirty and apocalyptic, if that makes any sense.

Really hope we get to see those two sequels he had written out. I want more of this crazy world.

You didn't get a headache because it was shot well.

Hamlet

I hate to say it, but this movie probably is going to tank at the box office. It's just too far out there for even balls to the wall action fans to get into it.

I wouldn't say it's going to tank. It should do a solid job at the boxoffice fingers crossed and hopefully the good word of mouth gives it great legs.
It's already set to make over $40 million domestic this weekend and it's doing quite well overseas.
We’ve been hearing that Mad Max could smoke out the charts with a $70M-$85M overseas bow

Speevy

Banned
Are you serious?

Well, it's a relative term. But don't we expect action movies with this grand spectacle to hit monster figures?

Obviously it will do better than a quiet drama, but I have a feeling it will do far less than it deserves.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

Lemaitre

Banned
I still think Kingsmen was the better action movie,but I would still say the movie was good. I can relate to your action becoming monotonous complaint but the "slower" moments are about 10 minutes of the entire movie. Can't see how that's a legitimate complaint.

The slow moments add up to much more than "about 10 minutes of the entire movie." This just wasn't the thrill ride I thought I signed up for. I'm appreciative of the production values, but that's were my appreciation begins and ends.

Another critique I had with the film is that none of the characters felt fleshed out at all. Done with purpose, but it hurt any sense of high stakes or sustained interest for me. Every character was so bland, save for perhaps the
bad white rider turned good dude. He had better character progression than the mains.

Gastone

Saw it last night. Fucking awesome! This is gonna be rewatched several times a year 'til the day i die.
Tom Hardy was bad-ass. Charlize Theron was out of this world...really loved her in this movie.

And, the soundtrack had some pretty amazing tracks.
Goosebump city....Brothers in Arms , especially at the 3:00 min mark.

Ezalc

I still think Kingsmen was the better action movie,but I would still say the movie was good. I can relate to your action becoming monotonous complaint but the "slower" moments are about 10 minutes of the entire movie. Can't see how that's a legitimate complaint.

Just saw Kingsman tonight for the first time and I have to disagree with this. Only fun action scene in that is the church one, don't get me wrong I still greatly enjoyed the movie, whereas this one has multiple scenes in which you're at the edge of your seat to see the fights.

Kin5290

Just saw Kingsman tonight for the first time and I have to disagree with this. Only fun action scene in that is the church one, don't get me wrong I still greatly enjoyed the movie, whereas this one has multiple scenes in which you're at the edge of your seat to see the fights.
Kingsman's "storming the base" sequence was utterly terrible as well. You can't say the same about that final mad dash for the canyon through all of Immortan Joe's war parties.

MattyG

Banned
So, as it is now in terms of box office numbers and the way they appear to be going, does it look like we'll get that sequel we've heard about? I believe Miller's said they already have an other script done and have material for one more.

As for what I thought of the movie; now that I've thought on it for a bit, I think the most amazing thing about it is how goddamn unique and dedicated it is to it's premise. There's isn't a single moment that felt like it was made to appease an executive or an audience member who isn't into this type of movie. Until now, I never really understood the term "uncompromising", but Mad Max is exactly that. And I love it for it.

Irnbru

Jesus Christ, what a movie.
Where to begin. I saw it at te 21+ theatre north of Seattle and this is the first time I couldn't order a second drink during the movie becuase I was just so enthralled by the movie. I've seen every other blockbuster that's come out recently there and this just blows them all away. The story is shown, not told. The action is paced well, not just farted all over the place. Everything had nuance. You could read between the many lines. It was simple yet complex. The action felt visceral. My friend who's my movie buddy, she took me to avengers two weeks ago and we were both equally disappointed. This time, it was the totally opposite. The audio was perfect, you could hear everything, you could feel everything, kudos to the audio team and the score. Everything was placed so perfectly. You could feel the love that went into this picture and all the high octane blood that was poured. Just a masterclass in cinema, as both a huge action lover and audiophile. Just, FUCKING BADASS. It was what every movie dreams to be and ever so rarely reaches.

What was most amazing in my theatre is that usually during the film you hear to chomping of food or the drinking of beer between the scenes. Total and utter silence during the breaks. My friend and I gave each other a look like.... We can't even... And it just felt like you and the entire theate was gripped to the seat. Just what a ride.

The moment when you're in the spoiler thread and read everything and suddenly you realise that it's the spoiler thread. Thank god I haven't memorized anything I've read. Same happened to me a lot in the two Game Of Thrones thread.

This movie was dumb. Had me laughing and cringing at how ridiculous most of it was the whole way through. Guitar guy might be the stupidest thing ever put on film. That said, I was never bored. Not once. In contrast to other films where everything explodes for the duration of the runtime such as Transformers and Avengers etc.

So watch it. It's so bad it's good or something.

Maximo

Everytime I try to gather some mates together some are busy or others are busy on different days, I might just go see it by myself tomorrow.

Monocle

OK, that was pretty much the perfect action film. I'll need to see it again very soon to process everything. I don't know how to fully articulate what I just experienced, but I can say this is a movie that works on every level I can think of. It's an immensely entertaining trip, as good as any bombastic popcorn movie I've seen, yet it has serious depth, real dramatic heft, and actual characters to care about. It accomplishes all of this by showing far more than it tells. You see how the characters live and fight, and you understand what they're about. That's how you keep people engaged and sneak in some meaty storytelling and implied history. The world of this film is so well realized that you can't help but accept its heightened reality. It's all so silly, and you totally buy it.

Above all, it's fun as hell. I don't want to get ahead of myself and call Mad Max a modern classic or anything, but... the insanely positive critical reception this film is getting seems right on the mark. I didn't understand how a movie that looked so campy and absurd in the promos could deserve universal acclaim. Now I know.

Hamlet

So, as it is now in terms of box office numbers and the way they appear to be going, does it look like we'll get that sequel we've heard about? I believe Miller's said they already have an other script done and have material for one more.

As for what I thought of the movie; now that I've thought on it for a bit, I think the most amazing thing about it is how goddamn unique and dedicated it is to it's premise. There's isn't a single moment that felt like it was made to appease an executive or an audience member who isn't into this type of movie. Until now, I never really understood the term "uncompromising", but Mad Max is exactly that. And I love it for it.

One can hope. Domestic as of right now looks solid but nothing too amazing. Going to be interesting seeing how good it's legs are. International is looking very good right now though.
Hopefully the sequel doesn't take 12 years to make this time haha.

José Mourinho;164163286 said:
This movie was dumb. Had me laughing and cringing at how ridiculous most of it was the whole way through. Guitar guy might be the stupidest thing ever put on film. That said, I was never bored. Not once. In contrast to other films where everything explodes for the duration of the runtime such as Transformers and Avengers etc.

You take that back. Guitar guy is probably the most awesome thing i've seen all year. I mean who wouldn't want to fight at their hardest when you have Guitar guy motivating you on.
"Valhalla awaits!"

Hickee

Dragging my partner to see this tonight, she really doesn't want to see it but if she gets to watch River City on my TV, then she has to watch this with me. D-Box seats too and she gets motion sick easily :D.

CFGaHTRWYAAeNio.jpg

OK, that was pretty much the perfect action film. I'll need to see it again very soon to process everything. I don't know how to fully articulate what I just experienced, but I can say this is a movie that works on every level I can think of. It's an immensely entertaining trip, as good as any bombastic popcorn movie I've seen, yet it has serious depth, real dramatic heft, and actual characters to care about. It accomplishes all of this by showing far more than it tells. You see how the characters live and fight, and you understand what they're about. That's how you keep people engaged and sneak in some meaty storytelling and implied history. The world of this film is so well realized that you can't help but accept its heightened reality. It's all so silly, and you totally buy it.

Above all, it's fun as hell. I don't want to get ahead of myself and call Mad Max a modern classic or anything, but... the insanely positive critical reception this film is getting seems right on the mark. I didn't understand how a movie that looked so campy and absurd in the promos could deserve universal acclaim. Now I know.

I think it might be though. It is very telling that this was made by an 'old guard' director. Once the last of these guys go, something of great value will be lost.

You take that back. Guitar guy is probably the most awesome thing i've seen all year. I mean who wouldn't want to fight at their hardest when you have Guitar guy motivating you on.
"Valhalla awaits!"

guitar guy was amazing. so cheesy and metal as fuck but not out of place in this universe at all. i read that miller said everything in the film has a purpose. and the guitar and drums vehicle was like the bagpipers or drummers or horn players that lead their armies into battle.

Monocle

I think it might be though. It is very telling that this was made by an 'old guard' director. Once the last of these guys go, something of great value will be lost.
Can't really disagree. It's a mighty impressive piece of filmmaking. I'd sure be proud to have worked on a production like that.

Saw it this morning with my brother. This and The Force Awakens are my most hyped movies this year, and for the past few years the movies where I am genuinely excited about haven't delivered. I was frothing at the mouth for Prometheus and...well...we all know how that one ended. But finally, a movie truly delivers and even rises above all the hype and praise. Completely thrilled, this is a very rare treat that we get only every-so-often. Marvelous movie, it has been stuck in my head all day and I will be going right back to see it again.

I really have no complaints, loved Tom Hardy, really loved Charlize Theron. Just loved everything about it. Gawd this movie was so good. Perfect 10.

knkng

José Mourinho;164163286 said:

Sounds like you're just not into the world that Miller created here, but the fact that you still enjoyed watching it kind of proves that it's not dumb (as a film). If they had replaced the characters and scenarios with ones more grounded in reality, but still with essentially the same action/choreography, I assume you would have enjoyed it a bit more?

Regardless, it's nice to see movies that take a risk every once in a while.

Derpot

Quite happy to see such enthusiasm about the movie! I'm going to see it this afternoon with my boyfriend who loves Mad Max and a friend of mine. It looks like we're going to have a good time :D

Top Bottom